Gotm24-Korea Pre-game Discussion

Well at first I was going to move my settler NW (using Mac Civ 1.29) now with the starting position change I think I may stay put... and just move my worker to immediately start irrigating the cow. Anyone else have a change of heart? I definitely am going to have to sit down and do some calculations before I actually start this game this weekend. I am going to actually try and play patiently this month (maybe even submit a QSC)

Originally posted by Ricardo
Well at first I was going to move my settler NW (using Mac Civ 1.29) now with the starting position change I think I may stay put... and just move my worker to immediately start irrigating the cow. Anyone else have a change of heart? I definitely am going to have to sit down and do some calculations before I actually start this game this weekend. I am going to actually try and play patiently this month (maybe even submit a QSC)

I would definitately submit a QSC, it really slows you down in the early game and allows you to evaluate all your options. I was always going to start on the hill because I don't have the patience to execute Qitai's 4 turn warrior/settler factory anyway and from the hill I can execute a 4 turn settler factory going from population 4 to 6.

I was thinking the same as you Ricardo, but now I'm revising that to go to the wool first to irrigate. That gets the same food & shield bonus, plus once you've built the road you get a luxury to your town to help with the happiness, then I'll go irrigate and road the cow.

The main decision now is what to research after pottery. Iron Working, Writing or The Wheel. The first 2 will probably be at minimum research for 40 turns. IW will show me the iron and allow for Warrior upgrades. Writing gets me closer to Map Making (galleys & GLit) and Literature (Libraries & GLib). The Wheel (for horses) will be a quicker research, but it might be available via early trade.

I'll be checking back a couple more times today, then downloading and starting tonight.

:beer:

Originally posted by cracker
Because they are precompiled in the autoinstaller I have not yet succeeded in breaking them up into pieces and the putting them back together into one package for your convenience (still working on it)

So there is no precedence here for using an archiver to chop up big files? I sometimes use rar (or similar) to break files into more manageable pieces, at zero compression to make it faster. Maybe not the solution here, and in any case, thanks for your effort, cracker! I'm glad I don't have to up- and download that file too many times. :)

jj

I lately have been researching pottery and then iron working. Pottery to get the settler factory going as soon as possible and iron working to know where to place the cities since I really want one as quick as possible with iron in its radius.

Not a bad plan, I'm only hoping there are friendly natives on this rock to trade with. Having iron won't do me much good if I'm all alone. My 2nd tech choice will probably be based on who I meet during the first tech research. If I haven't met anyone, I'll probably go writing -> map making, if there's a couple of AI's nearby, then iron working and prep for a swordsman rush. I'm thinking about trying RCP this game. I downloaded the CIVReplay program and will give that a try. A large map with a commercial civ might signal my first attempt at this strategy. I hope there's a couple more luxuries around to keep my people happy.

Hello all!!! First time GOTM'er here, (first post in the forums as well. lol)

Been reading these threads for the past month or so and have been looking over lots of timelines, (civ_steve, i find your's the most interesting. lol) But anyways, gonna give this stuff a shot.

Gonna start on Pottery at 90%, even if the Russians are close, I will hopefully get it from that at reduced cost. Most likely settle on the spot. Been thinking long and hard about moving NW, but still haven't decided if it is worth it or not. road and irrigate the cows first, then road and irrigate the SW, SW sheep. Its hard to tell from the picture, but I don't think you will suffer the 'crossing river' penalty going back into the city from the cow square. It appears that the river connects to the hill on that side of the tile and I do believe that it is not consider a river cross. Only bad thing is, cows don't get the gold bonus then. But anyways, will then road and irrigate the North sheep. After that I will use my worker to set up what is need to complete a SF (haven't calculated that yet.)

I look forward to this game and hopefully many more as well as meeting some great people, good luck to all. Hopefully be able to get this game started some time tomarrow night.

All take care,

Riccett

Riccett, welcome to the club (and say goodbye to sleeping). :D

Pretty good plan, one thing though. You might want to read about the bonus resources added during GOTM 21. I think the N & SW-SW resources are wool, which is a luxury as well as +2 food & +1 shield.

The river was recently changed and now goes on both sides of the hill, adding the movement penalty to that path.

Good luck with the game.

PS: If you're new to Emperor, you might think about using the conquest level, it includes a couple of bonus goodies to get you off to a good start.

I'm still busy with France 5-6 so it will be at least a week before I start GOTM24.

I wonder if I should go for Open or Conquest class. I've played GOTM23 and manage a "very late" victory. I doing well with 5-6 (way in advance of all the other civs). All this makes me think that I may be ready for open class. On the other hand, I've never played at Emperor level before. I really don't know what to do.

It will be the first time I will submit a QSC. I didn't know about them for GOTM23 and France 5-6 doesn't have one (I beleive).

As for the starting position, I haven't decided yet and didn't look things through so I don't know for sure. I like to micro-manage so I'll probably try to do Qitai super-factory.

BTW, if you plan on using the super-factory for a while, make sure you don't hook up the Iron because the Warior will no longer be available (it's replace by a Swordman that needs more shields I think).

Someone was inquiring about where to get the Pot. I think you go 100% research, build 2 or 3 warriors to explore and then pre-build the Granary with the Barack or something similar. The Pot should be there before the end of the Barack construction and you can switch just in time for the factory to start producing. Something like that was done in one of the two current training succession games.

I didn't see any mention on the best way to win a diplo game. I think there was a mention of a GOTM18 by Sir Pleb that was amazing. I will need to hunt down the thread because diplo is normaly quite late in my games. Any pointers?

Best

I've got a few hours left on my download of the starting save(after spending 19 total on the expansion pack). But that river makes a huge difference, and will now allow movement to the W without moving out of the aqueduct range. This would keep the cattle and both wool within the 21-tile radius, and leave the wheat(and perhaps the other wool as shared) for another high-capacity city. The colossus is probably going to be an early goal for me, as the river+coastal combination, as well as those wools nearby, could contribute towards a huge gold-producing city. This month, even more than last, I'll be distracted by other things(most prominent in this: a couple of weekend-trips, my prime civ3 time. gotm23 was played entirely on sunday afternoons, which often extended into early monday mornings)

Originally posted by laotseu

I didn't see any mention on the best way to win a diplo game. I think there was a mention of a GOTM18 by Sir Pleb that was amazing. I will need to hunt down the thread because diplo is normaly quite late in my games. Any pointers?

Best

Just winning by Diplomacy is pretty easy imo. Just make sure you never break any deals, never raze any cities (on purpose or accidentally) make lots of deals with the AI frequently, gift items if you have to..etc...and most important, don't fall so far behind in tech that you have no shot of building the UN before anybody else.

..now..winning via diplomacy AND reaching the domination limit early in the game for a high Jason score...that is a whole different story.

I've now downloaded and installed gotm21 (full), 22 (add-on), 23 (add-on) and finally, 24 (add-on), and everything seems to work fine. And this will be my last post here, since I'm now ready to open the start save. :) I've never played an emperor game before, though...

I have had problems downloading the setup file for 1.29f, for the last 3 days. Does anyone have any luck and is there a mirrored url?

Originally posted by gormdragan
I have had problems downloading the setup file for 1.29f, for the last 3 days. Does anyone have any luck and is there a mirrored url?

For fastest response you should PM Cracker

Thx, LK....appreciate the help

Sorry for that but I'm a relative newb to the GOTM , haven't played before . I do , however , have all the required modpacks and graphics changes .

I'd appreciate a download link , and where it can be found for the later GOTM's .

When you run the installer a list of links will be displayed in the installer window at the end of the install process. Just select the one you want to play.

Call me stupid, but I cannot find the file for this month's game anywhere! Help! I've downloaded all the add-ins, but just have had no luck at all in finding the most important bit.

Top Bottom