Gotm25-Mongols Pregame Discussion

First timer Question:
In the discussions during play what and how much can you tell without it is considered cheating?

Is there a text somwhere that i overlooked on this subject?

Originally posted by Hyland
First timer Question:
In the discussions during play what and how much can you tell without it is considered cheating?

Is there a text somwhere that i overlooked on this subject?

Look here to start. Also on the Gtom home page there is a link to some allowed/disallowed exploits.

Thank you for the links, but I have read thoose pages several times and it dosent say what you are allowed to discuss. Mabye i'm blind or stupid...

...when i think of it probably both ;)

In this thread you are not allowed to post anything you discover while playing the game and you are in fact discouraged from posting here at all after you've started.

After about a week or so, another thread will be opened in which you can discuss what has happened at the start of your game - usually up to the end of the Ancient Age - and that thread will detail what is allowed.

1-2 more threads will be opened as the month goes on to discuss further into the game. If you'd like an example just check out the first post by Cracker in each of the spoiler threads for last months game (GOTM24.)

I hope this is the info you were looking for. :)

PS - After a 2 month hiatus because of a move, I'm glad to be back for what looks like a really cool GOTM!

I'm not starting the game until Monday, so I've had a little longer than usual to give it some thought. The various UU's are so powerful en masse that I don't think there's much difference among the various combinations - circumstances will dictate my ultimate ratio. What's worth keeping in mind is that any combination requires a lot of units to succeed. The key to an early domination win in this game (before cavalry) could well be based on the ability to generate a large enough medieval army. And that, in turn, is only going to happen if you expand enough early to pump out plenty of gold and units prior to samurai code and invention... while keeping up in research, so that you're not facing muskets and cavalry (or riflemen!) by the time your horde gets past your neighbors.

Given the demigod difficulty level, saving gold and keeping abreast in research won't be easy if you don't get the Great Library. As a result, I think contact with all of the unusually large number of civs is essential, as it will allow a great opportunity for tech brokering. I also think at least one war with swords will be required to have enough cities to generate all those units and gold; if we're lucky, it'll be with some of those three mysterious minor civs. One way to encapsulate all this is that the UU half of the game will go only as well as the setup did - there's little chance to bounce back from a slow start with this UU.

Like Txurce, I won't be able to start right away although everyting is loaded up and ready (Open Mac 1.29).

Any time I do find between now and the middle of next week will be spent understanding the UUs capibilities.

One observation I have though of the starting position provided is that I believe there is a sixth wines to the west.

What does this mean interms of city development? Is it possible to get two cities putting out settlers at 5 turns?

Expansion will be key. Lots of towns to create lots of units to upgrade. Gold will be an issue and although it causes me a bit of a headshake, SirPleb's discussion of 0 research amy be the way to go.

With regards to the steppe settlers, there have been a couple of games where I have hammered the enemy but have not been able to fill the gaps as quickly as I would like so as to achieve domination. I believe the steepe settlers (upgrading redundant and superfluous units) are the mechanism to do this beofre the industrial age.

Have fun, I know I will.

Some really great discussion here guys. I thoroughly enjoyed SirPleb's analysis as well as all the others, but my thinking is much like his. I usually build a lot of culture and I think I may change that this time around. It will be tough, because I can be pretty set in my playing pattern, but just so we are clear, the target victory condition here is domination? That means a certain percentage of land mass and population, correct?

I am currently playing a Mongol game and have to say I greatly welcome the new UU's for this GOTM, as the Keshik is useless whenever mountains are not nearby. I will play the Hallowe'en game first, to get an idea of how the UU's will function. This will help with decisions in the real game.

Good luck to all!

Great job by the GOTM staff, btw :goodjob:

The ideas here have really helped, as I am not a dominion type player. I'm not going to play the Halloween game because I really like both the surprise of the new things and {even though I usually lose} I like to compare myself to the others who play the open version of the game.

It would seem essential to get maybe 2 Settler factories if possible. It'll probably be necessary to pack your "villages" a little closer than usual, as you'll be behind in research so you'll have to overwhelm with numbers.

Good luck all.

P.S. I'll probably play this one fast as I'll want to install Conquests and I WON'T until I'm finished with GOTM or Cracker says I can.:mischief:

Just for the record, DO NOT install Conquests until you make a mirror install copy of your Existing Civ3 installation that will allow you to continue playing games with PTW and Civ3v1.29 unaltered by the Conquests installation.

Thunderfall has informed me that he has received assurances from Atari's Jesse Smith that the it should not be necessary to create a functional mirror installation as we have had to do in the past. Supposedly, the new software will install independent copies of the new executable and the PTW executable so that it will not deliberately mess up your ability to play ongoing game activities with players who do not have the Civ3Conquests program installed.

Distribution of C3C will not generally be well established until after the first of the year .

We will not be accepting any GOTM or medal play games play in the CONQUESTs executable until at least some time well after the first of the year.

Gotm26 and Gotm27 will certainly not be available in Civ3 CONQUESTS.

Do a little homework first and this will allow you to make your own choices as to what games you play and when instead of being a victim of the quarterly new thing "Civ3 Body Snatchers" bug/patch cycle.

WilliamOf Orange, domination is the target victory condition, if you want this GOTM game to double as an entry in the Medal play series. otherwise, play for whatever victory condition you want. Domination boils down to about 2/3 of the land and coastal tiles. I agree that the only culture likely to be necessary in this game is the sort that expands borders in captured territory.

Hi All New Guy Question here. I'm having some trouble getting the game to start. I'm getting a Load Error! It says that I'm missing this File: "art\advisors\Dal-Riada_Advisor.pcx" Did I do something wrong with my file load, or something like that. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Eyril,

Perhaps reading one of these two posts and threads will help you answer the same question that otehrs have asked and found out to have already been addressed in the readme.txt file that came with your game:

Thread Titled: "Misplaced dries for help instead of PM's"
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1331219#post1331219

Thread titled: "Gotm-25 Dal_Riada_Advisor file not found"
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67327

Good luck in your game once you get these final setup steps completed.

Originally posted by cracker
Just for the record, DO NOT install Conquests until you make a mirror install copy of your Existing Civ3 installation...

Do a little homework first.....

:confused: :confused:

Unfortunately my technical capabilities is not that great, so could anybody give me a helping hand? :help:

Edit: The answer is here I guess

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67399

I'm still playing the treatgame, and noticed something very important: The Khorchins' lethal bombarding can give them combat experience, eventually resulting in great leaders! :goodjob:

This of course only happens when they actually destroy an enemy unit, but in this case the chances seem to be equal to melee combat.

Therefore barracks are only useless for Ordu Archers - which btw seem to be quite ineffective in sieges against even D3 defenders, due to their low bomb-attack rating, compared to the often high defender boni (e.g. 16% for each population point) //EDIT: Forget the last part, the bombardement thread (link on page 1 in Justus' post) suggests something different.

I just finished the treat game last night ( :goodjob: Cracker ) and also discovered the ablility to kickoff a GA with lethal bombardment.

The only thing that caught me by surprise is the number of units required to take a city. The lack of a high attack factor unit (4+) means the bombardment has to do most of the damage and it seems like getting hits on fortified pike is about a 1 in 5 shot (so to kill 2 vet pikes, it takes about 40 shots !!)

I finally ended up my redlining the defenders with bombard, then charging with the Horde.

I might have to adjust my attacking strategy to include pillaging (I dislike destroying useful improvements that will soon be mine), I'll be starting the GOTM tonight so see you all on the first spoiler.

:beer:

I started the Persia game (Medal 6-2) last weekend, but am not that far into it. Work has also restricted my civving this week, so I find myself making the decision to postpone the Persia game (maybe I'll finish during the holidays, or maybe not) and start Gotm25. I simply can not pass the opportunity to use these new units!! Bombard capability with a 3 movement :eek: Lethal bombardment in the middle ages :eek: :eek: I like catapults in general; this is going to be fun! :D (ControlFreak - don't read these threads ;) )

Top Bottom