1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphical problems after the last patch.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by Chapon, Nov 1, 2012.

1. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Actually, I have done nothing and eventually the black squares go away. It takes a while though and most probably just give up. I have had no crashes. The refresh problem is annoying, and I can see why a lot would not put up with it. I can also see a lot of people not complaining about it and just stop playing that we never hear from.

2. ExarKun78

ExarKun78 Chieftain

I have this problem with the gray and black tiles since my first game Civilization V on a huge map of the Earth. (YNEAMP) In this time three ATI cards were affected by this problem. (HD 5770, HD 6850, HD 7950) Maybe Firaxis solves the problem finally. :mischief:

Attached Files:

3. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Not sure if this will help...ran DX11 from the Steam Play button...crash. Got the "Do you want windows to search for solution?" message....yes...got this:

C:\Users\The Doctor\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE658.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
    C:\Users\The Doctor\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFCA7.tmp.appcompat.txt
    C:\Users\The Doctor\AppData\Local\Temp\WER1E5.tmp.mdmp

4. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

After the fall patch I noticed a decline in graphical performance. Where I never had any problems running a DX11 marathon game on a huge map right to the 21st century I know get smearing, grey areas and occasional black tiles with a red dot on screen.

I have re-installed the latest patch drivers for my nVidia GT230 so not having the latest" drivers isn't the problem. The problem lies in the patch that somehow decided that my GT230 isn't sufficient enough anymore.

5. timtofly

timtofly One Day

It is not your card, so take heart, unless you lack the patience to wait until firaxis figures this out.

6. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

I know, or better I decided to rule that out myself already :). I can't help but thinking that adopting W8 support broke something good in the DirectX code.

7. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

Hi guys,
    since last patch I'm experiencing a very annoying bug. When the map is loaded almost every texture is just grey and slowly being rendered to what it should be.
    When I move the map they will be grey again and being slowly rendered again and again. See video below:

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Au-QC2zU-I8

Is there any fix for this issue?
    Mi spec are:
    laptop with core i7 (8 cores) processor
    nvidia GT550M 2gb memory graphic (latest drivers istalled)
    6 gb ram

8. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

10. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

That's exactly my case. I've been playing Civ5 from its release date without any issue until this patch. Now it's over for me for the moment, unplayable. Is there any official statement about this bug? Nothing?

11. Hercules90

Hercules90 Deity

People on steam are still discussing this.

Apparently 2K is the publisher and Firaxis is the developer. 2K and Firaxis people have responded on steam forums saying they are talking to the likes of Intel and the other providers about these older (2+years?) graphic cards.

So it's a question of patience.

12. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

I'm super angry about this thing. Game was ok and now, to their fault, it's not. They're not going to fix this issue I won't ever buy a game from 2k or Firaxis again. I also bought all the DLC and G&K, I feel so frustrated...

13. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

Could you please link the steam discussione you're talking about?
    In the end they have to fix this. I mean that if a new game doesn't run on my "old" laptop it's ok to me, but they actually ruined a game that was running perfect for almost 2 years.

14. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

SAME problem here.
    Huge map.

Intel i5 660 3.46GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB Memory
    8GB RAM 1333Hz

Resolution is 1920x1200

GPU temperature is 67 to 73 Celsius, not higher.

15. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

Yesterday I've tried every possilble kind of settings variation but it didn't help.
    I'd like to try to lower the resolution (I'm playing 1920x1080) but my problem is that if I play in directx11 in a lower resolution than the native LDC screen resolution (is a fullHD monitor) the game won't fit the entire screen but just part of it (wrong scaling issue I've never solved).

16. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Have you checked your Nvidea display panel settings? If your overide game settings is checked it may be causing an issue. This is in the desktop size and position section.

17. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

Checked and it's ok.
    I posted about that in this forum some time ago but received no answer. The game is smaller than the screen and the remaining part of the screen is just black. But that's another issue, this grey tiles one makes the game unplayable

18. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Well I have the GT 555 M and I have no issues with size or resolution. Have you tried doing a driver sweep (deleting all Nvidea drivers) and starting over with a new download?

19. robertomagno

robertomagno Chieftain

Oh yes I did.
    Are you playing at 1920x1080 at medium high settings? No issue at all?
    Could you please attach an image here of your video settings, I'm going to try again exactly with your settings, let's see what happens...

20. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I have everything at max. I have the three check marks checked. The only issue I have is the grey graphics turning into black squares with the red dots, that happened on the last patch.

Here is the driver I am using:

Driver File Version: 8.17.0012.8577 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.17.12.8577
    DDI Version: 11
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/4/2011 08:19:00, 15695680 bytes