1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Graphics

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by stealth_nsk, May 12, 2016.

1. Metecury

Metecury Chieftain

Is it my impression or have they changed the look of spearmen and pikemen in the latest build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Qu6GqPsNI

The same happened with swordman I think. They are probably changing the models a bit to please those unhappy with the art style.

2. Dearmad

Dearmad Dead weight

You know... a time stamp might help... :crazyeye:

3. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Spearman around the 3:30 mark.

4. Civrules

Civrules We the People

Finally they talk about the AI. :goodjob:

I just played a game of Civ V for the first time in a long time and got into a pretty big long war. Man it really becomes apparent how limited the AI can be in that game. So definitely looking ahead to Civ 6 AI. :cool:

5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Also about the graphics on the video, since when did they add the Kraken on the unexplored map?

I remember the map being bland be one of the complaints, and people suggested adding compasses and mythical creatures "here be dragons style" to make it more interesting.

6. moysturfurmer

moysturfurmer Chieftain

There was a big old compass rose in the Fog of War in one of the earlier first Looks. England or Builders or something. But as far as I can tell this is our first time seeing dragons and sea beasts and the like.

Edit: to clarify, the here be monsters graphical flourishes were always part of the press talk, but they never really showed it off.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

Civ 5 was the odd man out of the series in terms of graphics. Civ 6 is actually a return to form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Warlord

Adding them was always the plan. In one of the super early videos Beach mentioned them as part of the unexplored map. They are just, expectedly, low priority so it makes sense they didn't make the early builds.

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I think they have all the units, buildings, wonders etc finished up and are now polisihiing the balance as well as the ui stuff.

10. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

With two months to go, I'm guessing that they are in the debugging and balance phase. Most of the assets and all of the systems should be in place. I'm expecting the gold should be cut around early October.

Remember, the builds that we are seeing are likely a bit dated in terms of development

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

11. Boom Shakazulu

Boom Shakazulu Chieftain

Honestly I think the game looks neat. The only thing that really bugs me is that forest tiles just seem to be a sparse collection of trees. No real, dense forests anywhere. By no means a dealbreaker but man I hope someone mods in denser forest tiles.

12. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Maybe it depends on how many forest tiles there are together. 1 or two by themselves are a bit thinner but the more tiles are covered in an area, the thicker the forest?!?

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I sure hope so. The swordsmen we saw in the first promo screenshots looked way too "civ rev" for my taste.

14. Miravlix

Miravlix Chieftain

Sell me a bridge, no sell me two and I still wouldn't believe what you said..

15. jekke

jekke Chieftain

I have watched a few videos now, and sometimes it is way too difficult to distinguish a hill from flatlands. As this could lead to a misjudgement and a wrong move, it is not just a taste issue. Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Also, speaking of the style and graphics, I suppose there have been too much general statements and too little specific points raised. In particular, I do not like how the trees are drawn (look somewhat like tents, very artificial), the rivers are just as bad as always (starting from Civ III), and I am very curious about road connections because it was an aesthetic nightmare in Civ V.

There is one thing I still do not understand regarding the way the game looks. It has been said multiple times that the general style was supposed to be the Age of Discovery, will all that neat hand-drawn map in the fog of war etc. This is fine, but how do the cartoon-ish leaders (I guess we agree on that whether we like it or not) fit into that story? I mean, during the Age of Discovery an artist would probably be killed for making the kings look like that...
    I am not ranting here, just trying to understand the logic behind this choice

16. Magil

Magil Monarch

I think hills could stand out a bit more, though I haven't really had much trouble with it personally, I could see missing them at a glance.

17. Boom Shakazulu

Boom Shakazulu Chieftain

I hope so but it doesn't look that way in any screen shot I can find and that makes the world look kind of barren and bland in my opinion.

18. Valmighty

Valmighty Chieftain

Just seen the 60 fps for the first time. It looked good.

19. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

Uh, what? Are you referring to my claim that those who don't like the graphics are in the minority (which sure seems to be the case)? Or to my claim that I won't be playing Civ VI (which I won't be, at the very least not until I have access to some 'real' reviews and the game goes on sale?)

20. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Chieftain

Thanks I must have missed that tibit. The carthograhy details look really cool on EU4 (which does the same with the unexplored terrain) glad they are going in the same direction.