Graphics

The screenshots didn't blow me away like I hope they would, but they do look nice.

They are clean and vibrant and full of detail. I really like how detailed the cities are (I love seeing my cities grow in civ games).

The screenshots are a bit boring... but it looks like it will be a joy to play it and see it in motion.
I agree that the colors and some textures can be tweaked a bit, and it could use some fancy effects like depth of field... but they are early screenshots anyway.

I can't wait to see more interesting screenshots, with different terrains, less zoom, UI, other technological eras...

Let's keep in mind that we have not see the interface yet. The game might look quite difference once we see the full UI and what the various screens look like.

Not thrilled with the graphics at this point... I agree with others that scale seems way off and the colors are a bit garish. That being said, I'm liking everything else I'm hearing so I'll reserve judgement on the graphics until we get closer to release.

I wonder if the camera is set at a certain angle, restricted (eg 90 degree turns) or free.
I hope the latter, but that'll probably not be the case.

I also think this is not really good , they switch from reality look in civ5 to cartoon - and i dont like that

But first those screens are realy zoom in , when playing it will look little better when zoom is on normal distace

Also what am im hoping for is that animations are better , if graphic arent maybe at least we could get nice animations for units and maybe even little on terrain

I also dislike borders (they arent curved as in CIV5 which were nice) , fact that units are represented with four men insted 10 on more (what was number in CIV5)

I remember someone saying that the graphics for civ 5 were a brown bag of poo because it blended colors together, making it very hard to distinguish between tiles, improvements etc. I mean, I get so easily confused as to what I need to develop. Many things look very similiar in color, sure it's realistic but it kinda halts the flow of the game because you forget that underneath that unit is an undeveloped tile.

First of all, Civ has NEVER been a simulation, I've always, especially with Civ 5, seen it as a boardgame, and I think that Civ 6 is going that route to even greater extent (but at least it will all work this time around, since more random elements are included).

But even I stopped paying attention to the graphics, I never noticed the evolution of my cities in Civ 5 as I saw the banner on top of it and let my eyes follow the icons more than anything.

The Big Great Wonders are probably a metphor for their purpose, these huge and important tiles that need to be paid attention so you know who's building what, if the pyramids were the size of the towns itself then you'd never be able to notice them.

The vibrant colors are probably there so we can distinguish between districts.

In fact, i think their simplicity and less focus on realistic grahpics will probably mean that the game performs better since it won't need to hog the resources to render (to this can, can anyone say they got rid of all the artefacts from Civ 5? Grey Tiles and Farms not rendering?)

I mean sure everyone goes for the "well they can just simply improve the engine" and I guess they could.

But i rather they make the game 2D and flat and have amazing gameplay than to have beautiful realistic scenery that is not even paid attention to and have terrible gameplay.

I'm not in love with the Civ 6 graphical style, although it's certainly not nearly as pretty as Civ 5. Also, as TheMarshmallowBear pointed out, I distinctly remember complaints about Civ 5's art direction pre-release as well. I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

If it doesn't, I personally hope for a Blue Marble Civ 6 version.

I'm not in love with the Civ 6 graphical style, although it's certainly not nearly as pretty as Civ 5. Also, as TheMarshmallowBear pointed out, I distinctly remember complaints about Civ 5's art direction pre-release as well. I'm sure it'll turn out fine.

If it doesn't, I personally hope for a Blue Marble Civ 6 version.

To be honest, I'd say that all Civ 6 needs to do add is do some color correction in -game, I've seen people modify the screenshots and they seem to work more better than the "vibrant and bright colors" everyone is complaining about.

The cartoon complaint has been a thing since Civ 3.

Also, I believe if the graphics complaint will survive release (which is unlikely - after all the videos we'll see we'll be accustomed to it), we'll see some mod to fix it quite soon.

Logging in just to say -- Wow, I LOATHE the graphic style I'm seeing from Civ 6 screenshots. It looks like a browser or tablet game, as other have pointed out. What a jaw dropping contrast to the cover art, which is fabulous and consistent with current/next generation PC graphics. I'm afraid it's too late to change styles now with release set for October.

I can't imagine what in the world they're thinking inside Firaxis, I suspect it has something to do with marketing to which makes me sad because this is for five or six years. See you in 2021 I guess.:confused:

Logging in just to say -- Wow, I LOATHE the graphic style I'm seeing from Civ 6 screenshots. It looks like a browser or tablet game, as other have pointed out. What a jaw dropping contrast to the cover art, which is fabulous and consistent with current/next generation PC graphics. I'm afraid it's too late to change styles now with release set for October.

I can't imagine what in the world they're thinking inside Firaxis, I suspect it has something to do with marketing to which makes me sad because this is for five or six years.
I couldn't agree more. Seems like a move a developer under EA games would be making. The only reason I could see them doing this is if they want to port it to tablets (meaning we suffer so they can make more money with less effort of not having to do 2 games).

Hopefully modding can fix some of it. If it continues to look as bad as our first impressions suggest I'll just stick to Civ 5 and maybe pick it up from Steam once prices hit bargain-bin status. If it was Civ 5 graphics (or better as I would have expected) with the stated changes, I'd purchase day 1.

I also loathe the graphic/visual style, but not because it looks like a (naff) mobile game. I dislike the Blizzard-esque shiny waxy turd aesethic in general. It seems as though art styles with textures seem to be a thing of the past for some bizarre reason. Anyway, as more details are released maybe it will be change and improve.

I also loathe the graphic/visual style, but not because it looks like a (naff) mobile game. I dislike the Blizzard-esque shiny waxy turd aesethic in general. It seems as though art styles with textures seem to be a thing of the past for some bizarre reason. Anyway, as more details are released maybe it will be change and improve.
Mainly because excessive detail on textures only came about due to strict polygonal limits on draw calls in older technologies?

Excessive detail on a flat surface isn't realistic, much to the irony of the complaints about the new art style's "realism" ;)

I can distinctly tell what is happening on each hex and where each hex is. CiV gave me issues with that, so this design is a positive for me.

Also, I love color.

I wonder if the leader screen will be realistic or civ rev style. :confused:

This was pretty much my first impression. I see the ad pop up on Steam and get really hepped up about it, not only because Civ VI but also because holy crap that's an amazing cover - just the right wildly-implausible-and-utterly-epic atmosphere you want from a Civ game. And then I go and look at the screenshots and...

Civ VI: now available on iOS and Android!

Now, as I've said before (and have no doubt will say many times again), I'm fine with the cartoony graphics provided it's possible to for those of us who don't like them to mod them to look halfway decent. My concern is that that'll be extremely difficult and we'll all be stuck with 'em (though if it's possible I can guarantee you that anyone who makes the necessary mod will have it downloaded thousands of times within minutes of its release.)

Ironically, the unit models don't really bug me (I don't mind semi-cartoony units as much as mobile game-esque terrain), and provided the garish colors get toned down I actually think the city graphics look pretty good. And again apart from the colors I have no problems with the wonders; sure they're ridiculously out-of-proportion, but they're wonders in a Civ game. I can live with them being huge.

Top Bottom