1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Great General modmod - spawn your own

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Baldyr, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

What is the actual error message?

2. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Warlord

Perhaps the generals could spawn after x amount of units are produced by a given nation?

3. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

But then they wouldn't spawn on the historical date, right?

But you can of course do whatever you want.

4. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

It's just a generic error that comes up whenever an application stops working, nothing civ related. I can find out the exact wording if you'd like. Is there some way of viewing civ4 errors via some sort of console or document?

5. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

You need to enable "Python exceptions" in the CivilizationIV.ini file located in \My Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\

My best guess is that you're using the mod-mod with the wrong version of RFC though.

6. Kawzmo191

Kawzmo191 Warlord

Not quite, but say after building 15 units of a certain type you receive a GG, which you could throw into your stack (presumably) meant for a war of aggression.

depending on how much you want to put weight into a certain era or segment, it could be 25 units of a certain type, like gunpowder for france, mechanized for germany, naval for britain, and so on and so forth.

this keeps a production-heavy civ like germany from being able to spam GG's. at least not until industrialism, coal, oil & panzers.

7. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

My RFC version is up to date. It's RFC 1.187 for BtS, just downloaded yesterday. I use Varietas Dialect for RFC, but it doesn't do anything python related. With Varietas Dialect I'm unable to read what the python errors are because civ ctds and the windows message appears saying:
    "Sid Meier's Civilization 4: Beyond The Sword Has Stopped Working.
    A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

So I tried it with normal RFC 1.187 for BtS and received the following python errors
    File "CvEventInterface", line 23, in onEvent
    File "CvEventManager", line 108, in handleEvent
    File "CvEventManager", line 119, in _handleDefaultEvent
    File "CvEventManager", line 555, in onBeginPlayerTurn
    File "RiseAndFall", line 371, in getDeleteMode
    Name Error: global name "StoredData" is not defined

Any ideas?

8. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Are you by any chance using my RFC Fast files with this? Because that won't work.

9. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Ah, that would explain it. I had forgotten that I had put those in. I think I'd rather have the speed than Great Generals :/

10. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Just use RFC Epic/Marathon then. It has many more speed enhancements.

11. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

It could be added that the this mod-mod should work on RFC:E/M even if it hasn't been updated to the new version of PyScenario. You just have to add this line of code in Scenario.py to enable compatibility mode:
    Code:
    Trigger = Compatibility
    (Put it before any line that begins with "Trigger" and after all the lines containing "import" commands.)

So you can both have all the speed enhancements and any GG spawns you like. :king:

12. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Ok, so I've got RFCMarathon and I've attempted adding the trigger to scenario.py in a variety of different spots, and I keep on getting the same problem. Where exactly should it be placed, or is there something else that I could be doing wrong?

Edit: I've tried placing it just about everywhere I can think to put it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

13. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Ok, I looked at it and realized my instructions were incomplete, sorry about that. This is what you should do:

1. Install RFCMarathon v1.21.
    2. Install PyScenario beta v2.0 in \Beyond the Sword\Mods\RFCMarathon\Assets\Pythons\
    3. Replace Scenario.py with the one supplied with the Great General mod-mod. Do not use PyScenario.py, CvRFCEventHandler.py and Custom.py from this mod-mod!
    4. Delete these lines in Scenario.py:
    Code:
    from Custom import *
    Trigger.war = war
    5. Add the compatibility code to Scenario.py:
    Code:
    from PyScenario import *
    import Consts as con
    [B]Trigger = Compatibility[/B]
    I should probably just update this mod-mod when I got the time. :rolleyes:

14. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Ah. My scenario.py doesn't have the from Custom import * or the Trigger.war = war. It's working now, but civ seems kind of unstable. Thanks for the help.

15. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

"Unstable"? Are you sure that you followed the instructions? (Like that you cannot use the PyScenario version that comes with the mod-mod.)

16. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

I started with a fresh installation of RFCMarathon this time, and everything works fine :goodjob:. I guess I had messed something up last time without realizing it, as it was working but it would ctd when I tried to return to the main menu once I was already in-game.

Marathon does seem noticeably faster, btw. I'm in the 1600s and the game is starting to slow down though, so I think I'll have to speed things up by wiping a couple of civs off the map.

17. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Oh, good! :goodjob: And don't hesitate to add your own generals to the mod-mod. This is in fact the whole idea - see the OP. Also don't hesitate to share your dictionaries with the rest of us!

This would be one of the advertised features. :king:

18. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

Baldyr, the triggers are set to only give some of the great generals when the civ is currently at war. After receiving Alexander during peacetime, it occurred to me that all civs are almost always at war with the Natives. Is there a war around that?

19. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Minors shouldn't be counted... (Also, only alive major rivals should be counted.) So this is weird. :confused:

20. kravixon

kravixon Warlord

It's been a while, but the other day I was playing as Carthage on Epic and had eliminated Greece entirely. Years later, the "Alexander is leading the Greek armies" message appears, the Greeks reappear on the scoreboard, and I see a Greek great general on Crete (my culture by now covered where the Greek cities used to be, so I suppose it pushed him there). Two turns later Greece disappears from the scoreboard and the GG goes away. It was pretty strange.

All in all, I still think it adds to the game, even with the wacky glitch.