Greater Europe - People of the Old World

With that title, Canute needs to be done :D Though I can imagine it would be a tad controversial if applied to the UK... anyway, I swear someone is working on him already, but if not, I'd be willing to attempt it.

lol we are

Spoiler :

There is also the Celtic Civilizations split by Hiram that features Wales, Cornwall and Ireland, and a Northumbria civ by DJSHenninger.
Hiram's historical background for some of the civs does my freaking nut. Cornwall and druids argh. Although I love the fact cornwall is based on the hundreds and the 16th century uprising.

I agree, a Danelaw Civ would be really cool. I haven't used the Northumbria Civ yet, but have used the Anglo-Saxons a few times.

The others that need addressing are Kent, Wessex, Essex, Sussex, and East Anglia.

Yes Danelaw/Kingdom of Jorvik mod would be cool

cant' have Essex or sussex without Kingdom of Kent, Seriously kent was controlling A HJUUUUUUUUGE amount of the trade coming into the up until the end of the 7th century. Especially as the Augustine Mission landed in kent.

Loving the North Sea Empire, guys. One question however, why on the map are most of the countries given modern names but the area of the Holy Roman empire not?

That shouild be the Arctic Ocean. The Atlantic ends at Iceland.

You could write "Norwegian Sea". Arctic Ocean begins more to the north.
Ugh Oceans are weird

On a sidenote, why is Molde on that map? Was it that significant?

Needed a city up there for map design reasons, so I randomly picked Molde.

Loving the North Sea Empire, guys. One question however, why on the map are most of the countries given modern names but the area of the Holy Roman empire not?
Lemme see...When you get past the different spelling for things, England back then was already England, so was Sweden (At very least in the geographical sense of lands who had swedes living in it), so was Denmark, and Scotland and Ireland (Obviously not as an unified state) too I think. Norway was... Norge? I think? And I have no idea about Wales (Powys?). So that makes only two with modern names. Anyway I can't see anything wrong with having a HRE label instead of "Germany", especially since the HRE had much more than just Germany while the rest of these countries occupy mostly the same regions to this day.

cant' have Essex or sussex without Kingdom of Kent, Seriously kent was controlling A HJUUUUUUUUGE amount of the trade coming into the up until the end of the 7th century. Especially as the Augustine Mission landed in kent.

I had written that Kent would be a strong diplomatic civ with early-game religious undertones. The first Anglo-Saxon king to be baptized was from Kent (Æthelbert?), also.

Zantonius Hamm said:
What about Trondheim/Nidaros instead of Molde? Much more significant.

Trondheim was the original capital of Norway before it was changed to Oslo, so that could give a better representation of the "seats" of control.

Trondheim was the original capital of Norway before it was changed to Oslo, so that could give a better representation of the "seats" of control.

I think that you misunderstood him, he said that Trondheim was a better choice than Molde, not the other way around.

(Unless your comment was about whether to use Trondheim or Nidaros, but they're the same city.)

tarcisiocm said:
I think that you misunderstood him, he said that Trondheim was a better choice than Molde, not the other way around.

(Unless your comment was about whether to use Trondheim or Nidaros, but they're the same city.)

Yeah, I was talking about Trondheim over Molde.

Lemme see...When you get past the different spelling for things, England back then was already England, so was Sweden (At very least in the geographical sense of lands who had swedes living in it), so was Denmark, and Scotland and Ireland (Obviously not as an unified state) too I think. Norway was... Norge? I think? And I have no idea about Wales (Powys?). So that makes only two with modern names. Anyway I can't see anything wrong with having a HRE label instead of "Germany", especially since the HRE had much more than just Germany while the rest of these countries occupy mostly the same regions to this day.

fair point I am always hazey on when Scotland and Ireland were being called that especially cause of how hazey borders and territories stuff was in southern scotland/Northern England and my knowledge of scandinavia (beyond art styles and some interactions with britain) is a bit shonky. Frankly my knowledge of Early medieval past the 8th/9th century is a bit wack. Thanks for the lesson! :goodjob:

The first Anglo-Saxon king to be baptized was from Kent (Æthelbert?), also.
Yeah thats right that was the Augustine Mission :p

Top Bottom