Greece First Look (Pericles) Video

Yes, it's not like Theodore Roosevelt rejected or acted completely different from the principles of the founding fathers.

I was under the impression that precious little was known about what influence Gorgo actually had or what policies she put forth.

Extra wild card slot seems strictly superior to Germany's extra military slot, no?

Except Germany's ability is actually building an additional district beyond the population limit. :p:p:p

Barbarossa's ability is the free military policy + city state attack bonus.

I actually think in comparison, Greece's abilities seem lackluster.

Except Germany's ability is actually building an additional district beyond the population limit. :p:p:p

If you'd read the post past the first sentence, I'm pretty sure that is clarified.

I'm actually quite intrigued by the unrestricted leaders now--and think it's less likely to be a thing, if just because of combinations like Freddy of Greece.

When you look at the Civic tree you understand that Greece is actually much more interesting Civ than it might look like at the first glance. Greece seems to be a "rush Civ" and you must decide if you go for early war or religion/science. Its all about the Civic tree.

With early war you go Craftmanship + Military tradition. You get "Agoge" from Craftsmanship (+50% Production toward Ancient and Classical era melee and ranged units) and "Strategos" from Military Tradition (+2 Great General points per turn). Agoge helps you get those Hoplites faster and Strategos helps with getting Great General faster than anyone else.

If you go Foreign trade + Mysticism you can get fast Prophet and/or fast Scientist.

Well, Pericles' bonus culture shoots you up the civic tree faster, which awards envoys. So there is some synergy there still.

not to forget the synergy between culture boost from CS combined with greater outcome from Acropolis - Adds up, I'm sure...

Denkt said:
At 45 strength the hoplite can fight swordmen effectivly and have nothing to fear from mounted units for a long while. It do not need any resources, come pretty early and is cheap to produce and maintain (ancient units only cost one gold per turn).

would be super-OP IMO. I think it's good as it is...

Concerning Gorgo: They'll reveal her last to show off the multiple leader thing 2 weeks before release in order to push sales even further ;p

I like Greece. And with all the culture coming in who needs an additional Science bonus? Strong civ but not as generic many of you mentioned.

Can somebody explain something to me, please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSCTlpEM9Vw

after ca. 19 seconds in the vid the player chooses Autocracy as new government with "0% bonus production towards wonder building", and after he clicks the "Are you sure?" popup away - he has 10% there. How? And Why? :confused:

When you look at the Civic tree you understand that Greece is actually much more interesting Civ than it might look like at the first glance. Greece seems to be a "rush Civ" and you must decide if you go for early war or religion/science. Its all about the Civic tree.

With early war you go Craftmanship + Military tradition. You get "Agoge" from Craftsmanship (+50% Production toward Ancient and Classical era melee and ranged units) and "Strategos" from Military Tradition (+2 Great General points per turn). Agoge helps you get those Hoplites faster and Strategos helps with getting Great General faster than anyone else.

If you go Foreign trade + Mysticism you can get fast Prophet and/or fast Scientist.

It should be noted that Mysticism also gives an Envoy so prioritizing it gives you a leg up on utilizing Pericles' LA.

Greece looks like a good vanilla civ. I think I'll choose them for one of my first games because in the first games I want to get familiar with the mechanics. So I don't like anything to special (e.g. like Kongo).

I like the design. It fits Greece very well.

Hm, better adjacency boni for acropolis? So +1 for adjacent districts and +2 for city center? I dont think it will be so hard to find a position to place a city next to an hill. That can be really powerfull, if you cluster a lot of districts together. And yeah, its a free district built in half the time ...

So we have now the second righ roller for culture after Brazil in regards to theatre districts with insane culture output. Not sure if Kongo, England, France and America can really compete with it, at least in pure culture production, especially with Pericles' ULA.

Oops! Sorry I'm late guys!

Here's old man Pericles:

(Bonus Pericles too)

And Greece's icon, very similar to Civ V's, but the colors are inverted:

I'm not entirely too happy with Greece, truth be told. Pericles itself doesn't really mesh with me, I don't like his design - specially the helmet and the scroll. I far prefer how he looked like in Civ IV. That beard is great though!

As for Greece itself, obviously the extra Wildcard policy is the main bonus here - super flexible,super powerful.
The Hoplite is rather boring, but it works. I like their designs, specially their shields.
What I find most worrisome is the Acropolis. Extra culture from adjacency districts is good, extra extra culture from the city center is good. Limiting the Acropolis to hills, though, may just kill it. The theater has no such limiting factor, so other civs may just do laps around Greece's culture for the simple fact that they get to place theaters wherever they want to, while Greece is limited to hills.
Hopefully the culture bonus from City-States will help counterbalance that, but it's very weird that one bonus is supposed to patch the other "bonus". Also, Gorgo won't be having Pericle's patch, so...

Speaking of Gorgo, where is she?

This looks very good. But they still need to improve Friderick and Philip.

Do not make their armour so wide and fat. Make Friderick beard very long and put the right helmet on his head etc.

Make them look like this:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Greece is looking strong! much better than civ 5 Greece. I love that the CS bonus is now Pericles, Gorgo with that extra card slot is going to be nasty.

I really like the adyacency bonus for hoplites, easy to snowball, and should you go with a military gov. they should wreck anyone early game.

While Pericles Greece is about mantaining a league of CS for its bonuses, and kicking anyone who wants to mess with them, I'm very curious as to what Gorgo's bonuses will be, or an hyphothetical Alexander.

Oops! Sorry I'm late guys!

Here's old man Pericles:

(Bonus Pericles too)

And Greece's icon, very similar to Civ V's, but the colors are inverted:

I'm not entirely too happy with Greece, truth be told. Pericles itself doesn't really mesh with me, I don't like his design - specially the helmet and the scroll. I far prefer how he looked like in Civ IV. That beard is great though!

As for Greece itself, obviously the extra Wildcard policy is the main bonus here - super flexible,super powerful.
The Hoplite is rather boring, but it works. I like their designs, specially their shields.
What I find most worrisome is the Acropolis. Extra culture from adjacency districts is good, extra extra culture from the city center is good. Limiting the Acropolis to hills, though, may just kill it. The theater has no such limiting factor, so other civs may just do laps around Greece's culture for the simple fact that they get to place theaters wherever they want to, while Greece is limited to hills.
Hopefully the culture bonus from City-States will help counterbalance that, but it's very weird that one bonus is supposed to patch the other "bonus". Also, Gorgo won't be having Pericle's patch, so...

Speaking of Gorgo, where is she?

Don't forget that the acropolis as a unique district builds faster and doesnt add to the limit. You can have an acropolis in every city easily, if you just take care to have a hill inside it's territory (it doesnt even need to be next to the centre, although it's preferred).

Great civ for a nice quiet mind-your-own business builder type like me. And cosying up to all those city states for the generous bonuses, yum yum. Must play this civ early on before it gets nerfed!

Any more wrong than Theodore Roosevelt having "Founding Fathers"? :crazyeye:

Founding Fathers is America's overall bonus, while Roosevelt Corollary is TR's leader bonus.

As for Greece, does anyone else think that maybe their culture oriented bonuses should be switched with Brazil's great people bonuses? That would be more historically flavorful, no?

Top Bottom