Grigori Victory Conditions

Tarrius

Chieftain
I discovered the Grigori, and love them. I've played a couple games where I've hit a conquest victory, which was cool and all, but I want to try some of the other victories. I was thinking that Altar of the Luonnotar would be a great option for them, especially with the flavor of the Luonnotar being unique units for the Grigori. However now that I've been looking at it... The only thing in the game I've found that introduces Prophet GPP into your pool is the celestial compass, and its so minute and later game that pumping out a half dozen of them seems highly unlikely. Tower of Mastery seems like a cool option for the Grigori as well, just because I always end up with 2 or 3 Adventurer Archmages, and the Nexus is also my favorite Wonder, so I almost always go for the Arcane tech tree, as well as SoW giving you Luonnotar's, which are just awesome.

Anyway, I was just curious when you play as the Grigori, what is your preferred route to victory?

For Altar of the Luonnatar, the main method other people have mentioned is to switch to the Theocracy government (which allows unlimited priests), and use their world spell (Which resets the great person counter to what it was at the start of the game, which places it back at 100, 200, etc. points per new great person.)

I haven't actually played them, so others will have ot describe how to handle other victory conditions.

The only thing in the game I've found that introduces Prophet GPP into your pool is the celestial compass

You can also use the Prophecy of Ragnarok and captured holy cities for great prophets. The Grigori get less benefit from the initial stages of the Altar than other nations so it I can really only see it as an endgame strategy.

I find sometimes that I overcompensate for the lack of culture in the Grigori and have an unexpected opportunity for a cultural victory, but you should really look for Domination and Conquest.

The Altar victory is a LITTLE weird with the Grigori (heck, anyone!). At first, you think the limiting factor is getting the Great Prophets... but after you play this victory with basically anyone, you realize that the limiting factor is freaking researching omniscience.

The grigori can switch over to theocracy, as was mentioned, and suddenly generate a lot of Great prophets, so you don't even really need to worry about that. Do it while you are researching Omni. The hard part is TECHING up that far.

To do this, I strongly suggest using your hero's to expand economically through enemy territory... aka conquer some people. But instead of trying to wage hard fights with people on other continents, just bloom up a bit and get to Omni, probably get it with tower of divinity if you can. Grigori Archmages are scarey as it is.

Something just occured a b8t ago to me: Has anyone as the grigori used Liberty, or lots of bard buildings, to get lots of great Bards for a culture victory, similar to how the Altar often works? (I'm not sure how practical this would be, but am curious as it seems a good possibility for a strategy.)

Has anyone as the grigori used Liberty, or lots of bard buildings, to get lots of great Bards for a culture victory, similar to how the Altar often works? (I'm not sure how practical this would be, but am curious as it seems a good possibility for a strategy.)

You can do in this in plain Civ IV. Use caste system, philosophical leader, get bards. In FFH there aren't so many culture multipliers (like the cathedral) but it can still work.

You can do in this in plain Civ IV. Use caste system, philosophical leader, get bards. In FFH there aren't so many culture multipliers (like the cathedral) but it can still work.

I was thinking to specifically use the grigori world spell to get a lot of great bards very quickly, similar to how Altar of the Luonnotar strategies are often done. (As opposed ot simply building up culture over time.)

That is how I do cultural victory with Kuriotates, and they pull it off better. They get to Liberty Earlier, they can have ridiculously large cities with a lot of food, so when they go 'all bards' it means a whole lot.

I was thinking to specifically use the grigori world spell to get a lot of great bards very quickly, similar to how Altar of the Luonnotar strategies are often done. (As opposed ot simply building up culture over time.)

It's possible but if you're planning to get 15 great bards that amounts to a 60k culture explosion, so you still need three cities with 90k culture between them. It needs to be part of a larger cultural effort.

If you're saving up Great Prophets, then if you manage to build the immortality wonder, you'll get to use each Prophet twice ...

If you're saving up Great Prophets, then if you manage to build the immortality wonder, you'll get to use each Prophet twice ...
I never thought of this and this is utterly wicked in it's awesome factor. Forget the Great Prophet slingshot... 30 engineers anyone? oof!.

Maybe combine it with "Birthright Regained" ritual for even more awesomeness :)

Top Bottom