grs2 - the roman legions - the rematch

grs

nameless one
Ok, we already did it, but because it was so much fun and the game was really tense until the last 20 or 30 turns we will do it again; this time just a bit harder. Already 4 of the 5 players from the first round signed in, so we have one open slot. Rules should be 24/48 - you can get more time if you need it, but please ask. Announcing skips beforehand is also nice.

The idea of this game is to conquer the world with the roman legions, therefore we will limit us to the following

restrictions:
  • allowed victory type for us is conquest only
  • allowed military land units: warriors, legionaries
  • allowed sea units: curraghs, galleys, caravels, galleons
  • allowed air units: none
  • connect iron when found
  • build no more warriors when iron is connected
  • upgrade warriors to legionaries when possible
  • we are not allowed to build The Statue of Zeus or The Knights Templar; if we capture them, we don't take advantage of the units they build, but disband them immediately
disallowed exploits:
  • ressource denial (with a non military unit or by rop abuse)
  • rop rape and abuse
  • free palace jumping
  • rank curruption exploit
  • ship chaining
  • pop rushing by joining workers to a city
  • getting wealth and production from a city in the same turn

game parameters:
  • version: c3c 1.22
  • civ: romans
  • difficulty: emperor
  • world size: large
  • land mass: continents
  • water coverage: 70%
  • climate: wet
  • temperature: temperate
  • barbarians: restless
  • rivals 11 random
  • rules: all victory conditions on
  • cultural link: off
  • respawn AI: off
  • no scientific leaders
  • normal agression
current roster:
  • grs
  • Bede
  • barbslinger
  • DJMGator13

I left the roster as it was in last round, but can change if anyone is eager to start it.

Our start:

Checking in.

I'd love to try this out, so count me in :)

Ted

Great!

Nice to be in a game with so many old team-mates :) In fact, I can say "Hi again" to everyone except grs who'll have do make do with a "Hello" :D

As a newcomer to the variant I don't have the necessary experience to venture an opinion on the Cats/Trebs issue so I'll go with the flow.

Ted

My opinion on the cats is we won't need them. Iron is the only strategic resourceI think we will need until rails. By that time we should have plenty of both. I think this game will go pretty much like the prior game except we will have to do a better job of pitting the AI against each other to slow thier tech pace. We will probably have to wait until we get perhaps 10 legions before mounting our initial foray into conquest. Last game I think we started with 3 legions. Getting the GLight would probably help alot too.

Mmm... Wines... lux & food bonus... gotta love it. Nice central position too :)

Ted

I think we should settle on the spot and Irragte the wines, then mine the Bonus grasslands.

Legionaires and wine. that should work out for some raucous excitement. Hoping for some bonus food upon settlement. I see no reason not to settle on the spot unless we want that hill in range for more shields down the line.

The start gives us +4fpt (from irrigating the wines that are visible). Is it too much to hope for a Wheat or Cow in the (expanded) radius? :)

I would move the Worker North first. This would show us if a move NE (to capture the hill) was worthwhile and leave the Worker ready to irrigate next turn whether we move the Settler or not.

Ted

Concur with all above. Prefer not to move the settler.

Taking the start is okay, but it won't be until tomorrrow PM late. So if any body wants to play on, do it.

I would go max research straight to iron working. With two irrigated wines and the bonus grass I don't think we need a granary to have reasonable settler/ worker production. The key here is not rapid expansion but rapid conquest.

Four towns with barracks and away we go....

Legion stacks should travel with a settler if feasible to claim ground as we pass over it

Are you sure we want iron working asap and not take part in the philo gambit? Iron working is something the AI often researches and remember we must connect if we find iron. Although we want to slow tech pace and not trade around many techs, maybe only extort and self research?

Starting the government discussion. I really hope we can agree on monarchy again. Remember we need to feed much more units than usual and cash was really not a problem last time. Also we have been at war for almost the whole game. Any different thoughts?

grs said:
Are you sure we want iron working asap and not take part in the philo gambit? Iron working is something the AI often researches and remember we must connect if we find iron.
I'm torn on this one. Given the relative scarcity of Iron, I'd say we wanted to find it ASAP. On the other hand the Philosophy slingshot can be achieved at Emperor and might be useful to get Map Making early, allowing us to get a head start on looking for our overseas targets and maybe starting some wars amongst them :)

grs said:
Although we want to slow tech pace and not trade around many techs, maybe only extort and self research?
Slowing research would seem to be critical. Starting wars and dragging all and sundry into them seems a good ploy.

grs said:
Starting the government discussion. I really hope we can agree on monarchy again. Remember we need to feed much more units than usual and cash was really not a problem last time. Also we have been at war for almost the whole game. Any different thoughts?
From reading the previous game it would seem to our best choice so no arguments there.

Ted

Do not kill me for appearing here... :D
I was out of time, but I dont wanted to ask for delay. Glad to see winning the great game :hatsoff:, and I would like to wish good luck for the team! I will watch the standings!

Good luck!

Long live the King. No Jacobins need apply!!!

The slower the better on the technology front, the faster the meaner on the war front. Self research to our core technologies of Iron and Writing, not necessarily in that order. Extortion for the rest. The Philosophy gambit is more a gamble than a gambit...and the odds and payoff favor the other guys.

I won't get to this one till after midnight EDT as I would like to hear from everybody before I start.

Moved the worker to the wine north, then decided to found on the spot. The building of Rome revealed an embarassment of riches. Lots of bonus grass inside the city radius, wheat to the west on the coast, cattle to the south on a lake, another river to the southeast. Decided to set the research path towards writing at minimum and plan to pick up Bronze and Iron from the other nations. The worker irrigated the wine grass, then moved to mine the bonus grass while Rome built its barracks, then a warrior, then a worker to develop the luscious terrain. Just as the warrior finished the American appeared and I made a rotten move, trading away Alphabet for Bronze Working and his treasury of only ten gold when I had room to make a trade for higher value knowledge.:smoke:

Rome is now building its first settler and the warrior is exploring south towards the Americans while the workers dig a mine that will finish just as the next citizen is born to work in it.

I would send the settler to the southeast to build in the bend of the river.

Looks like the first two cities will be 10spt producers fairly quickly and there is a third potential 10 spt site to the north.

I built only one road to the north (to connect a wine) as the river would cost the movement bonus anyway and I wanted to get to the south as quickly as possible.

Not the best opening I ever played but there is certainly lots of promise here.

Roster:
Bede-played
grs============<UP
conehead234-on deck
barbslinger
TedJackson

Top Bottom