grs2 - the roman legions - the rematch

Got it

Not sure yet if I'll play this evening or tomorrow.

Ted

barbslinger said:
[10] 2150 – Exploring. Have a look. That town Abe put up by us will need to be ours someday.

He is certainly asking for the smackback!

And that forest between the cow and wheat has "settle down here, Aeneas" written all over it.

GRS02-2150BC

Pre-flight checks... OK :thumbsup:

1 - 2110BC
Warriors scout
Worker starts road

2 - 2070BC
Warrior fort Veii
Warriors scout
MM Rome for growth & Settler in 2

IBT
Unknown Warrior appears 2SE Veii
Veii Warrior - Warrior

3 - 2030BC
Contact Mongol Warrior (polite)
Mongols are up Masonry, Pottery, Wheel, CB & IW - down Alphabet - 3 cities
I'll have to trade Alphabet now in case America & Mongolia cut me out :(
Buy Iron Working from Mongolia for Alphabet + 106gp (couldn't afford Pottery as well without giving gpt)
The only visible Iron is down on the South coast :(
Warriors scout

IBT
Rome Settler - Warrior

4 - 1990BC
Settler heads SW to the coast
Workers mine
Lux 0%

5 - 1950BC
Warriors scout

IBT
Veii Warrior - Warrior

6 - 1910BC
Warriors scout
Warrior opportunistically pillages road linking Boston to the rest of America

7 - 1870BC
Settler arrives on-site
Warriors scout
Workers mine - start roads to Veii & Antium

8 - 1830BC
Antium founded, starts Curragh
Warrior fort Rome
Warrior fort Antium
Warriors scout

IBT
Veii Warrior - Warrior

9 - 1790BC
Warriors scout

IBT
America demands 26gp - I give it to him :(
Rome Warrior - Warrior

10 - 1750BC
Warrior fort Rome
Warrior pillages another road
Warrior scouts

The known World

Notes
I chose to settle on the coast hoping to get early contacts overseas rather than try to start a war with America or head off into the unknown.

With no Iron in our part of the island things are going to get bloody. There's a Warrior at Rome which I was going to use to scout North hoping to to find Iron. The Warrior to the East is simply scouting for Iron & the Mongols.

I've held back on trading for Pottery as I thought we might get a good deal when Writing is discovered in 2 turns.

The save is > here <

Ted

NO IRON!! :cry: This will be very tough indeed. 2SE of Veii. There must be a bridge somewhere E of Philly then. They don't have boats yet, do they? I would keep that warrior in the east headed that way. If we can't build archers or horses we will get stomped by America as soon as he gets swordsmen. My experience with him is like that.
Batten down the hatchs. This could get ugly. He hasn't settled it yet though. Is there a chance we can still snag it? If not, even dozens of warriors (which we can't afford the income on), will be ugly against swords.

barbslinger said:
NO IRON!! :cry: ... He hasn't settled it yet though. Is there a chance we can still snag it? If not, even dozens of warriors (which we can't afford the income on), will be ugly against swords.

We could try to place a city on top of the iron. Besides the resource it does not look like a place the ai usually settles, but how are we going to connect it? Harbors are still far away and a road through his territory - even if possible - will cut it of in a war.

grs said:
Shall we place the next settlement on the forest between cow and wheat as bede suggested? It's a nice location, but should we fear a flip that soon?
I like that spot too but on the forest, not between the cow and wheat. True, no river, but workers up the ying-yang.

Got it.

I like 'slinger's spot, not for fear of flips but settling in the teeth of rabid expansionists is asking for way too much trouble when we don't have the tools to pull them.

Bede said:
I like 'slinger's spot, not for fear of flips but settling in the teeth of rabid expansionists is asking for way too much trouble when we don't have the tools to pull them.
Which is why I chickened out and headed for the coast :)

Ted

I hope there is some iron up north or we are in alot of trouble.

barbslinger said:
The BIG question is, can we win without iron?
Unlikely :(

The only chance I see is if we can trade for it, upgrade all our Warriors then go and grab it :)

Ted

I sort of agree with that. The only problem would be we need a harbor and construction is way out there and there are no guarantees. If Abe gets nasty we are in trouble. It is now officially be nice to Abe era.

Map Making allows Harbours and that's only 52 turns away :)

I agree with keeping Abe sweet though.

Ted

There ought to be a tune with that refrain:
Keeping Abe sweet,
Hopin' he don't split our rail.
'Cause if he does,
We sure gonna fail.
So, just me and my money,
Keeping Abe sweet.

Think Tim McGraw could do something with that.

1-1725BC
Learn writing and trade it to the Mongol for Masonry, Ceremonial Burial and Pottery and then to Abe for 207g. Both Abe and the Khan know Mysticism and the Khan will trade it for the gold we got from Abe but I don't think we need to know how to meditate just yet. Instead I use it to learn more about the Mongols (51g):

Karakorum is pop1, 3spt, 4fpt, 4gpt, 100% science, building a spear, has one in the garrison (must have just dispatched a settler pair), no improvements in the town, no resources hooked up, and none visible in the city view.

and the Americans (30g):

Washington is pop1, 3spt, 4fpt, 5gpt, also 100% science (probably Math for the SoZ as he has ivory), and building a spear, one in the garrison, no resources hooked up and none in the city view, no improvements in the town.

With our new found knowledge both Veii and Rome start granaries (due in 10 and 18). There are forests available at both to provide the lumber)

2-9 1700BC
Eastbound wanderer finds the end of the island and the northbound warrior finds another prime settlement spot but no iron, yet. Start a 100% run at Philosophy due in 15 at -2gpt.

1675BC
The northbound warrior discovers that the spot on the coast will have no fewer than six bonus grasslands available to it, but no food bonuses and no fresh water.

The southbound warrior discovers that Abe has nestled Seattle in the cup of the mountains, right on top of the iron hill. Ruh-roh.

The eastbound warrior goes the wrong way, so doesn't find the landbridge to the Mongols, but its location is precisely depicted by the fog and the location of Karakorum on the minimap as east of Philadelphia.

The Mongols start the Oracle (100 turns at current production levels) and the Americans the Pyramids (~175turns) in their capitols.

1600BC
Curragh finished and Antium starts a worker. Curragh sails west.

The Americans start Temple of Artemis in pop2 Philly, so our philospohy gambit still holds.

1550BC
No sea lane visible west so curragh starts south.

Veii hires a scientist to shave one turn off Philosophy (scientist output exceeds corrupted gold) and stall growth to coincide with the granary build.

1525BC
Abe has just whacked a barb camp as his treasury is now 25g richer from 0, so he didn't change his 100% research rate after the trade for Writing.

Forest chop at Rome delivers the granary right on time and reveals another bonus grass on a river.

10-1500BC
CItzen at Veii assigned to work a riverine forest. With chop due in 2 and granary and growth due in 4 the growth and granary should coincide and the river gold and shifting a citizen at Antium to the roaded grassland keeps the research rate constant.

Still no Iron? :(

Fingers crossed for Philosophy

Ted

In looking at the picture of my own save I just noticed a Roman wanderer in the far north. Never even saw him during my set...

Ted, who is your oculist, I really need the help! :D

Top Bottom