[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

I haven't been able to play much today, but I'm already very happy with it. The new terrain is great, the graphics have been polished to such a high degree, loving the new civs. I played for a bit as the Maori and Peter and Jadwiga both pounced on my weakly defended cities on their continents. Playing as the Inca now and really enjoying their style. Can't wait to try out the others too, will go for Phoenicia or Mali next, before I go for my bias - playing as Egypt :)

In my Inca game so far I've had a 1000 year flood, a couple of volcano eruptions (one serious), a withering drought, and the barb threat forced me to build some military ;) Looking forward to exploring more! I'll work to get my mods up to date hopefully by tomorrow too.

I got to play with the game for just under an hour last night, & have been a bit unlucky thus far. I am on an isolated land mass in the far north, so no mountain ranges, geothermals or volcanoes. Nothing but City-State neighbours either.....until I met the Maori.

I do love the named rivers, though (especially as a role-playing Civ player), & I really love how Tribal Villages can grant Envoys now.

Ok, I will probably start a game tonight instead of waiting for the weekend...

Any suggestions for the civ pick? Seems like no one is picking Hungary/Ottomans.

Any suggestions for the civ pick? Seems like no one is picking Hungary/Ottomans.

Start with the Maori. They should keep you well amused for the 1st game.

Depends on what you're looking for:
Maori seems like the consensus fun + good civ
inca are good if you're a builder type and they're just solid all around
hungary seems very strong but mostly "fun" if you're the conquest type.
Ottomans as far as I can tell are all about conquest, may not be thattt good.

Start with the Maori. They should keep you well amused for the 1st game.
Depends on what you're looking for:
Maori seems like the consensus fun + good civ
inca are good if you're a builder type and they're just solid all around
hungary seems very strong but mostly "fun" if you're the conquest type.
Ottomans as far as I can tell are all about conquest, may not be thattt good.
I know that Maori will be fun. But so does everyone sharing their Maori adventures in this thread. I’m ok with saving them for later if it means I can share some other stuff here :)

Was actually leaning towards Sweden. Also Mali, but not sure if I want to start my first game as a civ with clear early game malus.

Open borders seems to result in swarms of visitors again. Not happy with that.

Playing island plates as Dido. My intent was a naval domination but we all ended up as one friendly planet so Im going with that. I can neither confirm nor deny a city experiencing death by Bireme. That's why you don't build on a peninsula.

My first world congress gave me a free trade route. And I have an extra few from gov't plaza. So much GPT coming in, especially after Philip and I entered into an economic alliance and I got the 100% harbor adj bonus.

I lost an improvement to a tornado, but rising sea levels will not be my friend. Im looking forward to it.

Got in about an hour of play as Freleanor. First impressions:
- I love the new mininap!
- The barbs are incessant. As soon as I clear a camp, another one pops up nearby.
- I forgot about the major adjacency for campuses from geothermal fissures. Got a +6 campus in my second city from two of those and two mountains.
- despite having disasters set to 4, none by turn 60, except two volcanos outside my borders.
- very interesting map with mountains blocking overland travel in several locations. Also, land along the southern edge with no ice (in the part I've explored). Map setting was shuffle, large size.
- I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining that the graphics are noticeably better.
- scout cats are cute!

And based on what I've read in this thread, I think I'd better play Hungary and the Maori before they get nerfed...

One small thing that was totally not worth it in the game I was playing but was rather liberating...

I had founded a religion as Maori and Scythia was fairly close by and she was really pushing her religion. Couldn't get her to stop spreading it so spent way too much faith on Inquisitors (should've just let her have it since I wasn't really getting all that much from my religion, but...) to keep her at bay, but she kept coming.
So, World Congress comes up and the option to be able to stomp out religious units of a particular religion using your regular units (without needing to be at war) was there. And I went all in on that and won it. And it was soooo nice to just smash her religious units.

Again, totally not worth it but it was satisfying, hehe.

Having a city ceded to you generates the same amount of grievances that conquering it in the first place does? WTF???

20190214133631_1.jpg

One small thing that was totally not worth it in the game I was playing but was rather liberating...

I had founded a religion as Maori and Scythia was fairly close by and she was really pushing her religion. Couldn't get her to stop spreading it so spent way too much faith on Inquisitors (should've just let her have it since I wasn't really getting all that much from my religion, but...) to keep her at bay, but she kept coming.
So, World Congress comes up and the option to be able to stomp out religious units of a particular religion using your regular units (without needing to be at war) was there. And I went all in on that and won it. And it was soooo nice to just smash her religious units.

Again, totally not worth it but it was satisfying, hehe.
I haven't done that yet but i saw the option in a livestream and i pray to god I get to destroy one of these religious fanatics like that. I hate the spam!

I haven't done that yet but i saw the option in a livestream and i pray to god I get to destroy one of these religious fanatics like that. I hate the spam!
I tried to do that on Japan because they just send 17 apostles (I counted them!) to my island where my capital and holy city is. But the world congress didn't go for it.
So I just declared a holy war and had my crossbowmen kill 'em all and let god (MY GOD) sort them out!!

Top Bottom