1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Conquest is wrong. Pillaging is right. That's pretty much the paradigm now.

oedali likes this.
  2. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Warlord

Well, it's hard sci-fi in the sense that there's no particular technological reason it can't be done - but it's not a very plausible practical weapon system. Why, when you can make a robotic combat vehicle any shape you want, would you produce a large biped with a high centre of gravity and that requires extremely sophisticated sensors and programming to work in rough terrain, clear weak spots in the legs that can be destroyed, major blind spots to the side and rear and arm-mounted weapon systems whose field of fire is either partially blocked by the torso or that requires a rotation of the entire torso to train upon a target?

This is a niggle I've always had with the notion of mechs - they aren't remotely plausible as anything any military force would want to construct in lieu of better tanks or aircraft. Certainly it's less plausible than fusion plants as a practical proposition.

TheBigFundamental and nzcamel like this.
  3. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

I guess this is an issue of realism unnecessarily complicating gameplay but... putting a dam at the end of the river wouldn't actually prevent flooding upstream.

20190214135652_1.jpg

4. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

Honestly, I think pillaging should incur some grievances too (a small amount per pillaged tile) after a certain era. After all, pillaging in the ancient era often meant burning everything to the ground and raping and murdering the local population. If you pillage 10-15 tiles, that's the equivalent of a very serious war crime in today's thinking. So pillaging after the atomic era should be frowned upon IMO.

ABNDT, Kjimmet, Meluhhan and 4 others like this.
  5. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it does, actually.

The whole grievances for ceding thing is just to throw roadblocks in the way of domination games.

Pillaging is a way for war to benefit other Victory paths. But war is generally going to cause problems with the neighbors.

SupremacyKing2 likes this.
  6. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

And it's not like it doesn't make sense. If I force you to cede territory to me at gunpoint I'm not going to be surprised if you hold that against me in the future.

Kjimmet, Meluhhan, Pietato and 5 others like this.
  7. Emilqt

Emilqt Chieftain

You can build mines on volcanic soil even when its a flat tile

agonistes, Kjimmet, Meluhhan and 2 others like this.
  8. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

Ed : Alright Pete, time to write all the flavorful kudos for the Destination agenda.
    Pete : Flavorful?
    Ed : You know.... one for each leader.
    Pete : Hell no, you can have this instead :

bluejeans.png

Kjimmet, Siptah, CivLuvah and 2 others like this.
  9. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Is this roadblock what was needed, though? You turn conquest into diplo hell, but also gift the conqueror 300+ gold for a single pillage around T100.... “Fine, you all can hate me behind the victory screen, I guess”

Karmah and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  10. Corozivu

Corozivu Chieftain

Nazca Lines improvement is amazing. I dont remember exaclty what it does in terms of tile bonuses , I just build it everywhere and all of a sudden desert tiles are awesome.
    They have made some improvements to the strategic view. Its just nicer and easier to play on now.
    Load times are faster. Only one type of stagger/freeze remains, related to click and dragging the map. I expected to be worse since it had new content.
    Levying troops and upgrading them as Hungary is amazing. And while you mess around with its units the CS in question builds new upgraded units. Having them for 90 turns on marathon speed is a very powerful gimmick
    Commercial CS now give bonuses to Harbor buildings too now. This should have been in there from the start.
    The mauri AI chose the worst location for his city. I had to conquer him . Mercy killing for a ton of grievances.
    The, send a trade route quest to a CS on the other side of the continent on huge maps, annoyance is still in the game.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  11. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

At this point barb spawn rate seems broken. It should not be spawning a new camp 2 tiles away the turn after you clear a camp. Ridiculous.

12. Gali

Gali Chieftain

The grievances for taking cities in peace deals makes sense. Just look at the Franco-Prussian war. France got really mad when Prussia took Alsace Lorraine and then got ultra pissed again when they would't hand them back fighting to the last possible chance of even stalemate. Then they remained angry that the germans held them. Matches civ 6 diplomacy just fine just fine. The whole new grievance system allowed more penalty free warmongering, so a little balance was nice. At least it is operating in a logical and predictable manner and can be seen. Besides it only really punishes domination players and simply tells the AI what they're doing in a reasonable timeframe.

13. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

I finally got to play a few hours in the evening, and while it is still early, my first impressions are good. I started off with the Inca, and wow...I had underestimated just how good they would be as a builder civ. Those terrace farms, which are available right from the start, gives an excellent early advantage if you get the right type of terrain.

Spoiler :
    Inca.jpg

Wizard-Bob and Aussie_Lurker like this.
  14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Absolute horrible starts with Hungary. I'm going with my current game, though I had to move 4 turns to get a nice bend in the river, settle on turn 5 I believe. And not a single city state in sight. I'm going to have to do this without city states.

15. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

This has been the same problem since they changed the cede rule due to a bug 3 months after initial release. We are not sure exactly what it did before this time.
    The Thames flood barrier does exactly this as do many others, they are at the mouth of the river to stop high tides rushing up the river.
    not sure you have grasped how bad cede is.
    1. I take a city then give it back, all are happy.
    2. I take a city and get -4 warmonger points, I do not give it back and so the civ I took it off thinks badly of me -18
    3. I take a city and get -4 warmonger, I pay the other civ more money in a deal for them to cede it to me, I then get an additional -4 warmonger points and the civ still thinks badly of me at -18.
    The only other difference I can find between 2&3 after a couple of years looking is the city counts toward victory points in 3 but not 2.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Hawaiidoc

Hawaiidoc Chieftain

Is there any way to disable the disasters, and especially the Global Warming mechanic? That stupid Global Warming nonsense really ruins the end game, is seems it's only there for reasons unrelated to improving gameplay. Frustrated me enough in the early Civ games that I walked away from the franchise for over a decade. Not going to buy GS if there isn't a way to avoid that.

17. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

Globalization
    To Boost: Build 3 Airports

I guess that's one inspiration I'm never going to trigger.

Red_warning and iammaxhailme like this.
  18. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

Alexander is to my east in my first GS game and he has been displeased with me almost the entire game. (dark yellow face) I am almost into the Information era now and he has yet to declare war on me, I thought he'd be more aggressive.

I mean there were mountains sort of in our way for the early part of the game, but from around the late-Medieval era he has a city that is in clear view of my cities. Kristina is my ally to the west so i'm lucky there.

19. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

If you check the Religions screen you will likely see they have actually founded their religions.

20. darkace77450

darkace77450 Chieftain

What do you guys think about T3 cards like Third Alternative and New Deal being restricted to certain government types?