1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Had enough time with it that I can say the old "one more turn" thing is back. For the first time with Civ VI, really, as I was finding I could never quite finish games. Now it is much more interesting, lively even. Love the random events, getting to like diplomacy again and really love the changes to the map, which looks pretty yet functional. Overall I'm tickled pink and loving every minute of it. Good job, Firaxis!

Jkchart, Kjimmet, glider1 and 5 others like this.
  2. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Yep, I’ve tested this as Phonecia and it does work as for the policy cards and Casa. (Once I moved my capital to a third contintent my GPT jumped from 400 to 700, it was crazy!)

Also, the Golden Age dedication Hic Sunt Dracones is oddly worded - +3 starting Population for cities settled on a different continent than your first city - however for Phonecia it counts your first city as wherever your original capital is. I found this to be really powerful once Free Inquiry was finished. +9 movement embarked settlers starting 4 population cities allowed me to get a Cothon in fast and build a few defensive units.

Just wanted to confirm! Hope it helps :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Kmart_Elvis, Zaarin and Shorlin like this.
  3. Harlequeen

Harlequeen Chieftain

It's for his private yacht.

Jkchart, Avenger237, Kjimmet and 4 others like this.
  4. L4Psha

L4Psha Warlord

Does climate supposed to change so fast? And i have just three power plants. There is no time to research and build alternative energy. Also that changes are pretty small, i think. If you could see tiles that would be submerged, why you should risk? And there is simply just to little of them. And in some maps, i suppose, you can completely ignore climate change, on pangaea for example.

Attached Files:

5. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Well by definition your original capital is your first city ....

6. Hatchie

Hatchie Chieftain

I don't have much time to play so I only managed to get to brink of industrialization in my first game, but stumbled upon a thing that makes diplomacy infinitely better for me: If someone attacks your declared friend or city state you are suzerain of, you get grievences against them! Meaning if I join the war against a power that attacked my friend, I get to take a city from them without being yelled at by everyone about how warmongering I am!

I play England as Vicky and plan on establishing colony on next continent near Spain, who doesn't like me very much. I want to attack them as I'm ready to settle to take additional city and help with loyalty, but that would make me a warmongerer. Insetad, I made friend and recently ally of Japan who is neighbour of Spain and Spain already asked me like 6 times to joint war with them against Japan. I'll just wait until Spain finaly snaps and attacks Japan and then go in with grievances ready to take the city. For the Empire!

7. L4Psha

L4Psha Warlord

But that sounds pretty warmongerish. If you defend your friend, you should not rob the attacker, you should defend your friend.

8. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

Did anyone already some testing if there are any changes to the cede mechanic? Do cities have to be ceded or can you still just keep them liek before in R&F?
    There was this permanent diplo modifier if you occpied cities of an AI player (no difference if ceded or not) – is this modifier still in the game?
    Maybe there is a change so that ceding gives you additional but decaying grievences whereas not ceding gives you a permanent diplo modifier. This would at least make some sense.

9. ButtBillionaire

ButtBillionaire Warlord

Disappointing to see Norway and Sweden using the generic Western European, ill-fitting, timber-framed city set, with the former still not having its own unique palace.

At least Brazil's got revamped.

Kjimmet, Zaarin, nzcamel and 2 others like this.
  10. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Video 55/turn 168.

Siptah likes this.
  11. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Seems like something is wrong with the Mali start bias, I've had like 20+ restarts now and still I keep starting in half deserts or no desert at all.

12. Casworon

Casworon Prince

There should definitely be a unique Scandinavian building set. With both Norway and Sweden in the game now it will be worth more developer time

Kjimmet, Zaarin, WillowBrook and 2 others like this.
  13. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Like, what??

14. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

So I started my first game and had the time to play for an hour on epic.

Rolled Egypt (just like my first vanilla & R&F games, randomness is funny) and got a fantastic map (shuffle). Lots of room (settled 4 cities before I met another civ and am now at 8 without conquering). Mountain ranges divide what I think is a continent with only one tile to go from the southern half (me and 5 CS) to the northern half (Canada and Aztecs, maybe more).

Floods as Egypt are indeed fun, I have to say. I even managed to build the pyramids. Yet, the better map generation is by far the best feature for me so far.

Had a huge barb scout swarm. Me and the CS usually killed the scouts and camps quite fast. But the amount of camps seems to surpass R&F/Vanilla by far. At least it makes me rich :)

Zaarin likes this.
  15. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

Okay. Done with Montezuma in SV. That final step to SV is so tedious. You need to have lots of aluminum or lots of power-generating buildings/improvements. Otherwise 1 light year per turn for 50 turns is a snoozefest.

Climate change and rising seas happen mid-game to end game and it happens so damn fast. No amount of goodwill or diplomacy can stop the rising tides. I just hope the are more to 3 meters rise because it hardly does any impact. It will also be better if the tip for tile elevation is disabled / hidden so that settling or building near coast have a bit of gamble.

GDR is so overpowered. 2 to 3 hits will level a city. I think GDR will be cool in multiplayer. Anyone who owns a lot of uranium will own the world.

16. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

That would be an awful change, the system is OK at the moment because you are making an informed decision.

17. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Agreed!

It’s just awkward wording because everything else is “original capital” and it’s saying first city, so I wanted to make doubly sure and confirm :)

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  18. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Finally got a decent start :)
    Spoiler :

Jkchart, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Discovered Maori culture bombing can steal tiles. Not that its likely to be useful often.

20. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer King

I'm curious if Mali actually has a desert bias.