[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

The kotaku review have a screenshot with a line of three adjacent volcanos and a fourth with a tile of distance. Either there's no rule to distribute them evenly on the map or there's something wrong (or right depending on how you see it) with their spawn.

My understanding is that mountain chains tend to form along continental boundaries and volcanoes are distributed on mountains.

So it seems likely that volcanoes will form in groups like in real life.

That's likely a different issue. Offering 2 of a resource is still accepted.

OK, so it's not what I thought. Still, I think there is something. If I delete the resource and then ask the AI what they want, they usually come back with more resources than the one.

Is there something up with Mali start bias? I’ve been playing multiplayer with friends and twice now Mali have started in Grasslands, and me as Phonecia and Eleanor have had 3-4 desert tiles.

Weird indeed!

My understanding is that mountain chains tend to form along continental boundaries and volcanoes are distributed on mountains.

So it seems likely that volcanoes will form in groups like in real life.
Indeed, as a child I used to ski on one while another 2 nearby puffed away happily. I was just interested if it was common.

Finished my game with Hungary. They are pretty powerful with the Levy mechanic, but I won't say overpowered. I had the AI steal my Suzerain out from under me even with Amani fully promoted and the extra 2 envoys for levying (she outbid me when I was at 12 envoys I believe). Luckily I had a couple envoys saved up and got the suzerain back, but I lost all my levied troops.

I moved my settler 4 turns to get a nice bend in the river, and ended up playing warmonger all game and not building a single district adjacent to my capital. My only district was an encampment, but that doesn't get the production bonus because it's not adjacent. Oh well. One of these days I'll play a peaceful game with Hungary.

Barbarians calmed down after a certain age (I don't remember which ones). First 2 or 3 eras they spawn the next turn after you clear one (sometimes only 2 tiles away in the fog). But when I went conquering on the other continent, there were no barb problems over there. Strange. I guess I can deal with increased barbs in the early game. But it makes it hard for peaceful civs like when I played Mali, because my trade routes kept getting plundered.

It does appear that the AI make a lot more naval units. Particularly Dido and Harald. England's Sea Dogs finally have something to eat.

Yeah, in my current game Harald was complaining that I didn't have enough ships when I had 3 caravels. In R&F usually 1 or 2 would have made him happy. Also Dido and Poundmaker are having quite the naval battle of the coast of one of my cities.

Also, the unique improvement from being suzerain of Grenade got a small buff. Can give science depending on the appeal of the tile it is on.

Either there's no rule to distribute them evenly on the map
Volcanoes aren't exactly distributed evenly IRL, either. Just ask Washington. :p

I just got a start for Mali with plenty of desert and some nice flood plain rivers. Very deserty corner of my continent. Desperately short of hills and mineable resources though so it was a slow start.
GA seem much to easy to acquire though. Got a Classical GA mostly from goodie huts and barb camps. Barbs were terrible. Luckily my corner had some natural mountain barriers but my nearest neighbour, Suleiman, was really struggling with them.
Despite only having 4 cities in early classical age I had more cities than any other civ on the continent.

Is there something up with Mali start bias? I’ve been playing multiplayer with friends and twice now Mali have started in Grasslands, and me as Phonecia and Eleanor have had 3-4 desert tiles.

Weird indeed!
I started a Mali game. I had to use an arid world and restart about 6 times to get ANY desert.

@firaxis volcano god pantheon plz

They definitely should have more pantheons to take advantage of the new types. Would love to see a pantheon that was like "+1 faith on every tile affected by a disaster", or "+2 food on volcanic soil" or "+1 faith on floodplains" even. Definitely a lot that they can do there that would add some extra variety to the game.

Top Bottom