[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Looks like that's a no. Oh well.
Yeah, the devs said this wouldn't work earlier on. Desert mountains aren't truly considered deserts for this purpose. Same with Tundra or Snow mountains, if such exist.

Edited for typo correction

Last edited:
They definitely should have more pantheons to take advantage of the new types. Would love to see a pantheon that was like "+1 faith on every tile affected by a disaster", or "+2 food on volcanic soil" or "+1 faith on floodplains" even. Definitely a lot that they can do there that would add some extra variety to the game.
Yes, it's disappointing that religion and disasters don't intersect more. Maybe we'll see some weather-related pantheons and beliefs in a future patch...

Does Petra effect desert mountains when you work them as inca? Hmm. I'll have to try that.
No.

Yeah, the devs said this wouldn't work earlier on. Desert mountains aren't truly considered mountains for this purpose. Same with Tundra or Snow mountains, if such exist.
Other way around: they are Mountains; they're not considered Desert/Tundra/Snow/Plains/Grassland (despite what the tooltip says).

Is that a luxury or a bonus resource? You used to be able to hover your mouse over it on the map and it would tell you...not anymore.

Maori's Marae works on the Great Barrier Reef, so that's good. Yields are 4f,2science,2culture,2faith. Oh nvm, I just realized it even says it in the description. Duh. Soon as I saw it, I settled my capital there.

Didn't some civs have a settler model in Vanilla/R&F with a llama pack animal? If so, the Inca inexplicably have a donkey.

I bet this has already been observed, but I don't want to read through the past 31 pages... some of these new civs are obscenely strong.

Another excellent Panama Canal!
Ah, this reminded me.

As of GS, the “no ice blocking” (for circumnavigation) setting no longer works. I always have this turned on, and was unpleasantly surprised last game. Guess they had to generate some extra ice blocks to melt?

So I've just had a megacolossal eruption, population lost, districts pillaged etc. I have a notification telling me I can propose something to a Special Session of the World Congress but clicking the icon does nothing :undecide:

Has this happened to anyone else?

So I've just had a megacolossal eruption, population lost, districts pillaged etc. I have a notification telling me I can propose something to a Special Session of the World Congress but clicking the icon does nothing :undecide:

Has this happened to anyone else?
It gets blocked if a special session has recently been called. You'll get a popup to ask for aid when it's possible.

It gets blocked if a special session has recently been called. You'll get a popup to ask for aid when it's possible.
Good to know, thanks.

Other way around: they are Mountains; they're not considered Desert/Tundra/Snow/Plains/Grassland (despite what the tooltip says).
Technically, from a programming perspective, it might be something else. A (desert) mountain has no yield for the Petra to add to, it's simply getting bonuses from an adjacent improvement and from the faction (leader?) trait.
The way Mali's bonus works makes me think it is something like this- their +X food/faith doesn't get added directly to the city center district, it's a floating bonus that is calculated and displayed separately.

Its weird and finicky, but sometimes programmers just do that.

Currently playing a game as Dido, it's a very fun game. Gonna go for a Science victory. Again, my main complaint is that the game is really too easy. I've *really* screwed around a lot and yet I'm about to easily overtake Korea in the space race. They really are ineffective in the late game. Another thing is that I'm seeing more of the whole "using medieval units during the late-game eras" thing. I wonder if it's due to failure on the AI's part to acquire the resources to make the upgrades. I mean, it always happened to some degree but I've been seeing it more in my GS games it feels like.

Also, is it just me or has the AI's religion game been buffed a bit? Scythia came at me pretty aggressively (though they still held back weirdly in a few cases) and I barely managed to hold them off with religious units. I had lots of grievances against them because they kept converting even when I asked them not to but I didn't want to declare war on them as I was surrounded by their allies (great little thing there, makes for a fun game when you have to consider that stuff) and they had a lot of military. It was only later that I realized that I was the last civ they hadn't converted. Again, they could've been more effective but it was a good effort, much better than I usually see. One of my other games also had another civ pushing the religious game harder than they usually do.

Anyways, Dido is superfun to play. I really like the GS features but oh my god it makes me wish so much that the AI will be tweaked in the late game to be more efficient, or that modders will be able to really dig into it. It'd make the endgame a lot more tense to play. Now it's mainly just fun to have some extra tools to play with.

I'm having a blast playing as the Maori, on a small map, with most of the new GS civs. I wandered around forever looking for land, and when I finally settled, I quickly realized I'd settled right on top of Sweden. Oops. Eventually the Swedes made war on me, and while their initial rush was scary, I managed to fend them off and eventually take two of their cities. (In the midst of all this, Sweden tried to get the World Congress to enact an Emergency against me; I had to spend 60 diplomatic favor to defeat this by a narrow margin of 4-3.) Sweden then offered a peace deal, which I accepted -- and it allowed me to keep the two cities in question.

I'm wondering about that. I keep reading here that sometimes you have to give back ("cede"?) cities to the AI after a successful war. But that didn't even seem to be an option at the end of my war. We just agreed to peace, and I kept the two cities. Now, one did flip back to Sweden later anyway, but I'm still clinging to the other. That obviously irritates the Swedes, which is fine with me. But what is this "cede" thing you all speak of?

Top Bottom