[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Firaxis pledged 18 new units and I failed to count that many. In the conventional roaster - there are just a few...many gaps remain.

Yep, I’ve tested this as Phonecia and it does work as for the policy cards and Casa. (Once I moved my capital to a third contintent my GPT jumped from 400 to 700, it was crazy!)

Also, the Golden Age dedication Hic Sunt Dracones is oddly worded - +3 starting Population for cities settled on a different continent than your first city - however for Phonecia it counts your first city as wherever your original capital is. I found this to be really powerful once Free Inquiry was finished. +9 movement embarked settlers starting 4 population cities allowed me to get a Cothon in fast and build a few defensive units.

Just wanted to confirm! Hope it helps :)
WHAAAAAT? Did you finish Casa and put in the cards before or after moving Cap sir? Because I built the Casa first, then move my cap to a different continent, doesn't work. For policy cards, I put them in first, then move, doesnt work either, but when I remove them and put them in my government again, now they work, but the Casa is still useless. Not sure if they fixed it or something, I did report as a bug to 2k right after.

Firaxis pledged 18 new units and I failed to count that many. In the conventional roaster - there are just a few...many gaps remain.
There's 15. The count in that inital release was off for several things.

WHAAAAAT? Did you finish Casa and put in the cards before or after moving Cap sir? Because I built the Casa first, then move my cap to a different continent, doesn't work. For policy cards, I put them in first, then move, doesnt work either, but when I remove them and put them in my government again, now they work, but the Casa is still useless. Not sure if they fixed it or something, I did report as a bug to 2k right after.

For the Casa, are you checking only your cities with governors in them. (It only works with cities with Govenors on other continents).

Not to patronise you, but I made the same mistake until I read the wonder again haha.

I did some testing with the yields and all of the capital switching bonuses work as far as I see

Also I think the Inca are warmongers. I’ve had them in 4 games, every time I’ve been their green with no grievances and no negative penalties and they’ve declared surprise war.

It’s probably just coinkydink but if I see Paca nearby, I pack a slightly heavier army than usual haha

Workshop of the World gives some amazing yields:

Workshop of the World.png

Of course it's not what I'm getting in every city, but this is roughtly what you can expect when you go Victoria. It's a small bonus, but it's nice enough. (Oddly enough my severe Coal Industry has had no significant impact on the environment; I beelined computers to build flood barriers every just in case, but sea levels haven't risen at all yet. I wish it had been more... extreme?) The Military engineer charges I haven't been using optimally (this is a bad map for Canals and all necessary Dams have already been built a long time ago), but they're definitely nifty in setting up Tunnels / Railroad Spaghetti because they are this cheap for England.

It's defo a weaker ability than British Museum, but its benefits are largely quality of life. I think WotW makes England a better Science and Dom player, which I think is a lot more fun than just culture specialization (which didn't fit Victoria at all). Go for early Coal Power and reap the benefits of the production boosts, production which, at this point, is averages at around 60 per city. :crazyeye:

Been experimenting, starting games, playing no more than 40 - 90 turns to see how the maps generate and weather works, then moving on to another configuration of Civs/map settings. From this, here are a few observations:

Starting Biases are still hit or miss: Incas, on three different map settings (arid, normal rainfall, New World, cold, hot, etc) always got lots of mountains all around. On the other hand, I had to restart Dido 5 times to get a decent coastal start: only got 2 coastal starts out of 5, and one was on an absolutely flat plain with no river or Resources of any kind either on land or sea. Also had to restart Mali 4 times to get ANY desert tiles in the starting radius. I kind of expected that: I once had to restart Nubia 10 times to get any amount of desert around my initial start. Desert start biases seems to be very badly programmed or something.

With three different Inca starts, not only got lots of Mountains, but also lots of volcanoes: just finished playing to 100 turns and on a large continent had about 6 volcanoes and at least one erupting every 10 turns or so. Droughts seemed to happen very often, too, but none of them affected my Incas tucked away in grassland valleys surrounded by smoking peaks.

I agreed wholeheartedly with other Posters here: need some new Terrain/Climate/Weather associated Pantheon Beliefs, because in that last game the Incas would have been Volcano God Worshippers from near Start: a nearby volcano (6 tiles from their Capital) erupted and baked the tiles around it less than 20 turns into the game!

I suspect Hungary's wonderful CS-using Unique is being Nerfed by never letting them start near a CS: in 3 'sample' games, playing a total of 120 turns, I never found a City State before the 20th turn, and in one game never found a City State at all after almost 50 turns of Scouting! All 3 of these games were on Pangaea maps, so the City States had to be there somewhere, but nowhere near the Hungarian start position. 3 is a pretty small sample size, so I will keep experimenting with this.

On Setting Level 2, I have reaffirmed that there are plenty of Disasters to go around. After 100 Turns in the middle of the Incan mountain ranges, not only had I seen a bunch of volcanic events, but also saw at least 5 notifications of Droughts somewhere else, 2 tornadoes and 3 floods in my area. Also one Blizzard that hit the neighboring Aztecs, who started on the edge of the Tundra.

Favor and quantities of Strategic Resources seem to be the new 'go to' Trade Goods: the AI seems to be requesting them constantly. As soon as I had 2 or more Horses or Iron, I was getting offers of Gold, Favor, or even Amenity Resources for them. In the last game, I tried honoring every request for a trade that I could, and ended up with Friendly relations with neighbors like the Aztecs, Scythians, and Kongo, which in previous, non-GS games I could have safely bet on one or more of them jumping me before the 50th turn. Traded 'em Horses, and they all rolled over and Played Nice.
- Of course, it helped that, snug in my Incan Mountain Stronghold, horses didn't help them at all if they had wanted to attack me: the Scythians would have had to go through a 1-tile wide pass blocked with a fortified Spearman on a Hill tile and backed up by an Archer on a Forested Hill: as close to Thermopolye as I could make it!

Oh, last note: The Incan 'tunnels' are Fantastic on the right map. Had an Incan start in the middle of the continent between two mountain ranges (full of volcanoes) - with early Incan Roads through the mountain ranges, Inca could move from one side of the continent to the other in a dozen turns - half the time it took anyone else to go around, even when they were scampering Scout units on flat terrain. IF I had been playing a Domination Game, it would have given the Inca classic Interior Lines and a substantial advantage in moving units from one side of their empire to the other.

My first few games I just took out civs... now I decided to make peace for a change and I have no choice with cities but cede or return.... So if this is what everyone is getting then they have finally at least forced you to use it. It just seems to make sense to war rather than make peace, just destroy them or better, pillage their lands

Workshop of the World gives some amazing yields:

View attachment 517914

Of course it's not what I'm getting in every city, but this is roughtly what you can expect when you go Victoria. It's a small bonus, but it's nice enough. (Oddly enough my severe Coal Industry has had no significant impact on the environment; I beelined computers to build flood barriers every just in case, but sea levels haven't risen at all yet. I wish it had been more... extreme?) The Military engineer charges I haven't been using optimally (this is a bad map for Canals and all necessary Dams have already been built a long time ago), but they're definitely nifty in setting up Tunnels / Railroad Spaghetti because they are this cheap for England.

It's defo a weaker ability than British Museum, but its benefits are largely quality of life. I think WotW makes England a better Science and Dom player, which I think is a lot more fun than just culture specialization (which didn't fit Victoria at all). Go for early Coal Power and reap the benefits of the production boosts, production which, at this point, is averages at around 60 per city. :crazyeye:

WotW does seem fun, but also a bit weak given it doesn’t actually give you any hammers (except via power). ME’s are better in GS, but still a bit useless. It would be a different story if they could rush eg IZs or Facotories etc.

Need to change the name Ottawa to Drought City, I had 4 of them at least. I’m playing with level 4 disasters.

Brazil settled near 2 double volcanos that erupt frequently, and lost population already.

Looks like envoy and governor points are slower to get than R&F.

Hello! Just to allay any fears, I did some specific testing for Casa and Phonecia. It does indeed work so long as a Governor is in there.

So policy cards, Casa and Sic Hunt Dedication are all good.

Happy settling :)

Did anyone already some testing if there are any changes to the cede mechanic? Do cities have to be ceded or can you still just keep them liek before in R&F?
There was this permanent diplo modifier if you occpied cities of an AI player (no difference if ceded or not) – is this modifier still in the game?
Maybe there is a change so that ceding gives you additional but decaying grievences whereas not ceding gives you a permanent diplo modifier. This would at least make some sense.
This permanent -18 modifier for occupying an opponents city is still in the game. I conquered two cities from the Aztecs and they ceded them in a peace deal. Civilopedia says grievances for occupying/conquering a city are doubled when you keep a city and deleted when you give a city back. It says furthermore keeping an occupied city ( I suppose that means if you keep a city after making peace without having it ceded) generates grievances per turn. I still have to test this.
I am not bothered about the doubled grievances but about the permanent modifier. Maybe that was a misunderstanding but I thougt these permanent modifiers were replaced by the grievances system which causes a changing grievances related modifier.

Just finished my first Diplomatic Victory. The AI civs voted against me but it allowed me to save up my Favour for the final session in which I dumped everything and went for the win.

Unrelated: Seasteads are very, VERY dumb. Food, production, gold, AND housing?! They definitely shouldn't let you build these things adjacent to each other because they are SO easy to spam.

Just finished my first Diplomatic Victory. The AI civs voted against me but it allowed me to save up my Favour for the final session in which I dumped everything and went for the win.

Unrelated: Seasteads are very, VERY dumb. Food, production, gold, AND housing?! They definitely shouldn't let you build these things adjacent to each other because they are SO easy to spam.

Ridiculous improvements and units are the game's way of telling you to end it already.

I just started a new game as Dido and turn two got a Thousand Year Flood on the Jordan River: since it's too early for me to actually have anything on those tiles, that's free food and production for me. :D As an aside, Dido takes a little while to get her feet under her, but once she does she's pretty fantastic. :D

Oh, last note: The Incan 'tunnels' are Fantastic on the right map.
Yes, I'm going to miss the Qhapaq Ñan while playing as other civs.

SeaSteads are ... unsatisfying. They should have been a district.

I’m completely in favour of a permanent -18 for holding someone else’s city. If you steal my city, I am never going to forgive you. If you want to keep someone’s city, and want to also be friends, then you need to do enough other good stuff to overcome that modifier. Leaders should hold grudges.

Top Bottom