[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

So is Democracy pretty good still? It has an incentive to send trade routes internationally while there are now things that make routes over rail and sea more lucrative.

So long as it has the best distribution of policy card slots it will still be my go-to.

Someone has to say it. Eleanor/England is absolute garbage. Canada is better than her. I hate that I just rage quit her. I'm just getting gang banged from all sides, not from conquest/military, but from religion. Finding a religion in Gathering Storm is just the worst thing you can possibly do. Good luck trying to keep that religion. I concentrate so much effort trying to keep my religion I can't concentrate on expanding and building theater squares. And all my neighbors have encircled me and I no longer have room to expand, and I'm heading into a dark age. Yeah the map screwed me over, but this civ offers nothing to counteract that. Garbage level. At this point I think even Georgia is better. I'm so frustrated right now. When I get mad at the game I know it's time to quit.

I can say I'm never founding a religion again. This is the last straw.

Hi. I won with French Eleanor quite easily on Deity. Why are you getting a religion? Do you specifically want a religious victory? The quickest way to win would be to go for cultural victory and focus on artifacts/art. Don't worry about building wonders either as you'll flip the AI cities that have them.

Yes, Eleanor gets no particular benefit from pursuing a religion of her own. In fact, it's counter-productive since your faith is far better spent on Rock Bands and Naturalists than on Missionaries. I'm currently enjoying the benefits of numerous theological battles in my territory, allowing me to nab the low-cost Islamic faith building from Arabia on one turn (did you know it's free during Golden Monumentality?), then buy a Jesuit University a couple of turns later when the city takes up Protestantism.

Finished my Indonesia game - haven’t found any changes about them, in the end... my only guess at this point is that Jong remained resource-free, while many other UUs became resource-dependent in GS.

I've noticed something strange about the Recruit Partisans operation. Now the partisans that spawn seem to only hunt down my trade units. It does not matter if my units are even close to where the partisans spawn either. I'm finding it far more of an annoyance to me than the other civs.

I've had a lot of moments in Civ VI where I would do the recruit partisans mission quite deep within a neighbouring civ's territory but the partisans still manage to make their way to their border and into *my* territory and start doing stuff there instead. If you're lucky with how the partisans act they can create some damage for sure but yeah, it can just as easily turn out to be a dud or, even worse, something that will cause damage to yourself.

Why are you getting a religion?

Was thinking some of the beliefs may help, including cathedrals for an additional art slot. I actually was successfully fending it off, had to burn my first apostle for an inquisition though. I just quit that game though because of lack of room to expand. It's not worth it to me to continue to play when I get upset like that, if I'm not having fun I'm not going to play a game. The AI is much more aggressive in spreading religion in GS. This isn't necessarily bad, it means they have a viable path to one victory at least. It's the only victory I've seen the AI be able to do. It's just not fun to me having to work so hard to defend my religion all the time. I don't think I'll be founding religion anymore unless I have goddess of the harvest or earth goddess or I have a specific religious victory in mind.

The nerf to the Audience Chamber is hitting me harder than I expected it would. I didn't think the reduction from +4 to +3 housing was going to be that big of a deal, but now I'm capping out at 13 to 14 housing before Neighborhoods are unlocked, and that in turn is making the Inspiration for 15 population very difficult to achieve without strip mining every +food resource on the map.

I think this may be a bug:

The Great Scientist who reveals Oil early: if that Oil is under a district or wonder, it begin accumulating in your stockpile even before you get Refining technology.
Is that different to settling on some incense and selling it before you get irrigation?
Also yesterday I settled on copper and it did not disappear... so perhaps something has changed here.

After all my time with Civ VI, I still find it incredibly strange that we cannot see what pantheons have been claimed before we have the option to do so. We can see what Great People are coming down the pipe; we should be able to see what pantheons are available.

One of the best improvements for me is the optimized performance. Admittedly, I only reached the very late game in 1 out of 5 games, but up until the Information Age, no turn took longer than 10 seconds, whilst it often have been 30+ for me before GS. This alone makes the late game (and later game war especially) much, much more bearable. Kudos to Firaxis & Aspyr for this superb QoL improvement. I hope other users experience something similar and it is not just related to the port!

I'm noticing a HUGE performance upgrade. I play on giant maps with sometimes up to the 61 limit. RnF was awful with turn times - I gave up playing. GS is great. Don't even notive the turns go by.

Hats off to Ed n co.

edit: and in vanilla, I turned barbs off to speed turns up. Now I don't have to.

Coastal lowlands can be adjacent to Crater Lake. I couldn't figure out why my completely inland city had the option to build a flood barrier. Turns out one of the tiles next to Crater Lake is susceptible to flooding. Who knew? :dunno:

Umm, how exactly does a volcano wipe out all the fish in the sea?

Just had my fish resource wiped out. :)

edit: Though after repairing the pillaged fishing boats I'm still getting 4 food and 5 gold. So even though the icon is missing, I seem to be getting full use out of the fishing boats.

Spoiler :

Last edited:
Well, if you at it logically...

You actually lost all of the fish resources? Not just the fishing boats? That's nuts.

One bug I noticed was the Apadana wasn't awarding me two envoys for completing it, which really sucked as Mali considering how freakin' long it took to build.

I added in a picture 3 posts above. The icon disappeared, but I still was able to use fishing boats by repairing them. Strange.

I want the other volcano to erupt for the achievement. I'll keep playing...

Umm, how exactly does a volcano wipe out all the fish in the sea?

Just had my fish resource wiped out. :)

edit: Though after repairing the pillaged fishing boats I'm still getting 4 food and 5 gold. So even though the icon is missing, I seem to be getting full use out of the fishing boats.

Spoiler :

Lava + salt water = sulfuric acid.

Top Bottom