1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] GS impressions/random observations thread.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by iammaxhailme, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Jojo_Fr

Jojo_Fr Warlord

Yeah. Same. A.I is super dumb, and the game is not at all challenging in Deity. The most important thing to improve would have been A.I because it's THE CORE of any game. But they ignored it.

2. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

I have feeling like AI was more chalenging in base game than after two expanssions. I was able to win 20-30% of games on diety than ... now its almost 100% if I dont quit before because I am to bored. AI almost dont declare war anymore, I could end up whole game in diety without anybody declaring war on me.

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ai is far too passive, I noticed that when achievement hunting. Granted it was only King and Prince, but they still shouldn't be so passive, makes for a boring game. My current emperor game I still received no dow's, I was even trying to provoke Arabia into a war by making demands. But he already had grievances from declaring on Sweden, so maybe that's why.

My Hungary game was too peaceful. I noticed Kupe being a jerk all game long so I let level 1 alliance lapse, and denounce him. He's been a jerk to Kongo all game (ironic since usually Kongo is the jerk), mainly because his OP uu. So when he took another Kongo city I use my own favor to trigger and vote the emergency in. Finally got some use out jof my black army and Husar's and levied units. Took all of Kongo's and one Tamar former cities and liberated them. Kupe was amassing too much culture anyways forcing me to build too many theatre squares to counteract his tourism. I enjoyed playing a good guy liberator. A nice approach to a Hungary play style.

I tend to make the mistake sending delegations early and friending everyone, but it's more interesting to denounce the jerk ai players. Arabia was a jerk too, but they didn't want to mess with me.

4. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

Me after winning the Nobel prize in physics, +1 to oil and uranium for every university

Spoiler :

RohirrimElf, Pietato, Elhoim and 2 others like this.
  5. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Another random - and quite blissful - observation I just made:
    Firaxis finally added a “natural wonder perk notification” to the units!
    If the unit gained an ability, there is a little asterisk on the banner at its right side. A mouse-over will reveal, which bonus the unit enjoys.

(Sorry, no picture ad hands. Also, I hope, it’s not old news. But it’s quit subtle, so maybe many might have overlooked it - and I haven’t read anything about it so far.)

agonistes, Kjimmet, CPWimmer and 6 others like this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Nice find. I haven't noticed. You think they would have told us.

I have noticed that my spy is able to perform siphon funds operation even on a completely pillaged commercial hub. :crazyeye: The real question is if it becomes submerged, does my spy drown? :)

WillowBrook likes this.
  7. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Undocumented change: the Civ wiki suggests the costs of campus buildings has gone up. Has anyone noticed that before?

Also, has anyone ever noticed this from the Fall 2017 Patch “Improved long-term usefulness of Missionaries by giving their spread religion ability 10% eviction of all other religions”.

So, Missionaries act like mini-inquisitors?

8. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

Are you sure, you don't have FearSunn's Unit Flag Abilities mod enabled? That's the exact same thing it does.

9. Eva-kun

Eva-kun Chieftain

You think they get a boast like Russia for tundra, but nope.

10. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Well, that would be embarrassing, wouldn't it?

I did (of course!) disable all mods before I played my first game with the GS expansion. Compatibility and all that, you know?
    That's why I was sure, the improvement was due to the main game.

Only that it wasn't ...
    I went to my computer right away (it's early in the morning here) in order to check this ... and you are perfectly right!
    The mod is active and the nice notification is caused by it!

Hence ... I AM EMBARRASSED now!
    Sorry guys for the false alarm! :(

Which might lead to one of the two following conclusions:
    a) Firaxis, you are awesome! Your game even runs with out-of-date mods ... or ....
    b) Firaxis, what the hell? Why do deliberately disabled mods enable themselves, if they are updated by the mod owner?

(Honestly, I tend to option b) because all my not-updated, disabled mods are still disabled while all updated mods were shown as 'enabled'.)

Sorry again for the confusion!
    And ... get this mod, it is useful! :) (And Firaxis still didn't manage to implement this useful feature into their main game. I have checked ... :( )

Edit:
    Oh .... and I used the opportunity to play a few turns in order to secure my first science victory, as my computer was powered and my game running now. Two hours later, I finished it. Did I mention the time here in Germany? What? Who just said "Civ addicted"???)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Pietato, Ondolindë, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  11. OmegaDestroyer

OmegaDestroyer Prince

I got a chuckle out of seeing an Era score that said something like:

"Despite the overwhelming odds stacked against it, the Giant Death Robot won the day!" +1

12. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Chieftain

Could be worse. I got that Era Bonus when my Jet Bomber killed a Knight. And I feel like a GG led them in a parade afterwards.

OmegaDestroyer likes this.
  13. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I like the change. Once the AI launches, there's no stopping it save eliminating the civ. Can I beat them to a science victory? Yeah, probably. But if I play very large modded maps (like ludicrous 222x100), and try to win via domination, there is some excitement to be had in the worry. Previously I could just send armies to the civs area and pillage the spaceports to prevent the final phase of the launch.

14. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

A simple question that may have been answered somewhere in 69 pages . . . is it still advantageous to place districts as soon as possible to freeze costs, then build them out later?

It would be pointless to try to exploit a corrected exploit!

15. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

By default, all mods were disabled post-GS because of the new compatibility check. Whether they actually are compatible or not, simply adding a line, "<CompatibleVersions>2.0</CompatibleVersions>" (2.0 for GS, 1.2 for R&F & earlier), to the mod's modinfo file instantly enables the mod.

Having contributed a little bit to getting the flag function to work with mods like Terra Mirablilis I totally agree this would have been a fantastic QoL additon by FXS!

Deggial likes this.
  16. Jewman

Jewman Prince

i've been wondering the same thing, I still place them just in case lol.

17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Had my first radioactive steam leak today. It was actually after victory because I wanted to play a few more turns to punish Victoria. She's been a jerk all game and I finally got a war declaration with her when she declared war on my ally Kongo.

The steam leak only lasted 1 turn and didn't require scrubbing fallout or repairing damaged districts. I thought it would be like a nuclear bomb blast. But perhaps Steam leak is the lesser of bad things that can happen to a nuke plant, and a full on meltdown is still possible. Steam leak may be the least bad thing. It only lasts 1 turn from what I can tell.

I actually forgot I had a nuke power plant there. I was going to convert to nuclear, but then decided I wanted to save the Uranium for GDR's instead, so kept everything at coal except one city I forgot to switch over.

agonistes likes this.
  18. Haig

Haig Deity

AI now joins into military and city-state emergencies, pre-GS it was just me who joined, now there can be several AI leaders who participate AND send lots of troops.

agonistes and RohirrimElf like this.
  19. HermannLombard

HermannLombard Warlord

I've been doing the same, I just wondered if I'm wasting my time and my land.

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Just discovered Big Ben now only adds +50 % gold in your treasure. Still the best wonder around imo, though.

acluewithout likes this.