Guess Them Eight New Civs

Originally posted by jack merchant
Assuming both the Dutch and the Portuguese make it into the expansion and both have ship UU's, Firaxis better do something about the way the naval system works. I don't want us Dutchies to be stuck with a crappy UU like the Man-O-War and the expanded galleon will be really tricky to get a GA with.
Maybe we can get a Gueux unit with amphibious assault ? Otherwise, a 'British Mercenary' like the ones that provided a good part of the land army during the 18th century, or like the English troops that were sent to (rather unsuccesfully) help us during the Eighty Years' War. Most likely they will give us a caravel with 1 extra attack and/or movement though.

Portugal not only had great sailorsman but land attack/Defense too, see here:

http://www.viriatus.com/catalog.asp?Escala=54&Per=Z

Originally posted by History Guy
As I keep saying: Slinger, cheap archer...2/1/2.

I'm pretty sure the last choices will be Portugal/Holland, Angkor/Polynesia, Ethiopia/Mali, and Israel.

Questions:

2.1.2:
Which would you rather have, a slinger or a War Chariot?
Same cost
1 requires horses and can't cross mountains.
The other doesn't

Other question:
Which culture group would Ethiopia go into?
Mid-East?
They already added Sumer and the Hittites

The Sumerians
The Mayans
The Incas
The Dutch
The Portuguese
The Hittites
The Ethiopians
The Polynesians

=/

I just picked up on something. Read the Civ3 site again. It reads, "Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph IN eight professionally designed conquests throughout history." That sounds to me like that the new civs will be playable ONLY in the "conquests," i.e. existing civs have been modded. If this is true, I wonder how many of the added features apply solely to the conquest scenarios? If you'll look at the information we have so far, it makes sense. We know that the Hittites, Sumerians, Incas and Mayans have been "added." The former two would have to be offered to play a scenario for domination of early Mesopotamia; the latter two to play a scenario in the Americas. In Civ2, you could play as the Confederates in the Civil War scenario, but you couldn't play as them otherwise without modding.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. :(

What's the deal with putting in the Sumerians? They have Babylonians (I know that the two civs are different). If they do this, then they will aslo need to put in the Italians, because they are different from the Romans. Do you catch my drift?

Originally posted by Deathwalker
Sctoland is two small for Civ, Also some people want both Hungary and the Huns, there virtually the same people. They lived on the same land and the Hungarions even considure themselves the Huns ancentors. :)

babylon was even smaller,so is holland

think about a cool senario scotland versus england the wars for independance (braveheart) think about it

Originally posted by ststeven11
I just picked up on something. Read the Civ3 site again. It reads, "Civ fans will discover intriguing new civilizations, units, wonders, technologies, and abilities to help them triumph IN eight professionally designed conquests throughout history." That sounds to me like that the new civs will be playable ONLY in the "conquests," i.e. existing civs have been modded. If this is true, I wonder how many of the added features apply solely to the conquest scenarios? If you'll look at the information we have so far, it makes sense. We know that the Hittites, Sumerians, Incas and Mayans have been "added." The former two would have to be offered to play a scenario for domination of early Mesopotamia; the latter two to play a scenario in the Americas. In Civ2, you could play as the Confederates in the Civil War scenario, but you couldn't play as them otherwise without modding.

I really hope I'm wrong about this. :(

What I think will happen is this:

8 "Fully playable" civs will be in the game.

They will each have a scenario (or, maybe they'll share some scenarios, and a few won't involve them)

It is too much work to make a Civ, and not make it fully playable (much more work then Civ2, which didn't have UUs, animated leaderheads, or animated units)

Louis,

Blast. You're right. Slingers are out...Merkavas are in. But, your other point suggests to me that unless the Hittites are Mediterranean, or Israel is Mediterranean, Israel isn't going in. If this is so...well, I won't be very pleased...

I'd much rather they stick in Portugal, forget Holland, and include Israel and an African civ, but it seems now that the chances are growing quite slim...

Originally posted by scotland_no1

think about a cool senario scotland versus england the wars for independance (braveheart) think about it

And hopefully us English won't get
a Great Leader called "Wallace"

Ok so we know 4 already (Maya, Inca, Hittites and Sumerians) and we can only guess for the 4 left. For a civilization we really need a good animated leaderhead and a UU, but those leaderheads that fit in the game with all the others are hard to find, the rest (cities, heroes etc.) can be put in by the editor.

My personel choice would be:

5) the Dutch, I'm dutch :p , and in the 17th century the Dutch civilization was a world power and had colonies on all continents and is still today an economic power even if the Netherlands itself is a small country.

6 the Portuguese, In the 16th century a world power and also colonies all over the world and Brazil once a portuguese colony is the 6th most populous country in the world (in south america there is more portuguese spoken than spanish!)

7 the Polynesians They were a power in the pacific and spread from the east of what is now indonesia all over the pacific ocean, to Hawaii and to Tahiti and outendly to New Zealand (a dutch name by the way) were they gave quite a fight to the english.

8 the Aboriginals ok when they met the westerners for the first time they were still in the stone age and were all different tribes really. But they spread all over the fifth continent and lived there isolated until the 15 hundreds or so. (who knows how they would have developed if they weren't so isolated from the rest of the world, this is a what if game after all!)

Also good choices could be, but those already have sort of leaderheads made by fans:
the Hebrew (i use the atlantean leaderhead made by piernik to play them in my games)
the Poles (also by Piernik an excellent leaderhead that i use)
the khmer (i put them in my games by using the early animated bald version of the korean leaderhead i got by somehow)
the inuit (there is a leaderhead for them but I think it isn't as good as the original ones)
the mali (also a not as good as the original leaderheads is made for them)
and the ethiopians (a very good leaderhead for them is already made by sween)

If the portuguese aren't in C3:C i'll use Mursilis. He at least looks Portuguese.
If the Dutch aren't in. I'm just gonna be depressed :(

But this all is just my choice. I'm curious what the atari/infogrames choices are.:confused:
I was greatly amazed by the Sumerians and Hittites for instance.

I was greatly amazed by the Sumerians and Hittites for instance.
Why? :confused:

The Sumerians gave us civilisation after all. They're the first civ.

The Hittites, along with Egypt, were the superpowers of the ancient world, prior to the Persian Empire.

I think Assyria would be better than Hittites (Can somebody tell me their country name?)

"5) the Dutch, I'm dutch , and in the 17th century the Dutch civilization was a world power and had colonies on all continents and is still today an economic power even if the Netherlands itself is a small country."

On all continents - including Australia and Antarctica. I never knew that ;)

"I think Assyria would be better than Hittites (Can somebody tell me their country name?)"

The Hittite Empire or Hatti.

The civs I reckon are going to be:
Sumer, Hatti, Mayans, Incas, Mali, Abyssinia, Poland and Khmer, although I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in Indonesia or Australia instead.

I'd like to see (In no particular order):

1. The Incans
2. The Mayans
3. The Sumerians
4. The Portuguese
5. The Dutch
6. The Mali
7. The Australians (The modern nation; the Aborgines were just a bunch of nomads)
8. The Israelis (Hebrews, pretty much)

I'd still like to see some more nations, like the Sioux or some South American nation like Brazil to fill up South America. Indonesia would be nice, too. Perhaps Poland, but there's already enough European nations. Oh well.

Hey Bud, you forgot the Hittites, they're in the game

""5) the Dutch, I'm dutch , and in the 17th century the Dutch civilization was a world power and had colonies on all continents and is still today an economic power even if the Netherlands itself is a small country."

On all continents - including Australia and Antarctica. I never knew that"

Most of modern day Indonesia (which is pretty close to Australia) was Dutch (Nederlands Indie), so except for Antarctica the dutch pretty much had colonies all over the world. ;)

The dutch also made the city of Nieuw Amsterdam which you guys now know as New York. So without the dutch.... ;)

Originally posted by Mongoloid Cow

The Hittite Empire or Hatti.

Hatti can be used, but I think that it was the term used by the Hittites to refer to their land before the Hitties.

Top Bottom