GUIDE: Adding new units

The J is right. Specifically whatever you have set for the kfm isn't valid, it either doesn't match the nif, or it doesn't exist. Recheck the paths.

"First of all you must unpak the Art0.fpk file using the PakBuild Utility to get the unit"

What is this?

pakBuild is a utility program that allows you to pak or unpack art that's used in civ4. Don't worry about it for now, unless you start adding a bunch of art and need to pak it in order to speed up your mod, or you're trying to get the art out of a mod that has already paked it's art. A tutorial on how to pak your art can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297865 Again though it's not necessary unless you have lots of art in your mod, and need to pak it to speed up the loading time.

Hi!
It looks very nive but I can't even begin because...
I dont know how to unpack the Assets0.fpk !!!!

thanks for the help

Ooops sorry, I was too tired of reading the previous pages, i didn't even notice the post above mine

my bad!

thanks

I just want to made a MOD Civ with a few UU's thats all, I'm happy leaving existing units exactly as they look.

If that is all you want to do,you don`t have to use Photo Shop or something like that.
You just have to copy the Unit you have downloaded into your CustomAssets/Art/Units directory and then copy the CIV4ArtDefines_Unit.xml from the original game into the CustomAssets/XML/art folder,the CIV4UnitInfos.xml into CustomAssets/XML/units and the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml into CustomAssets/XML/Civilizations.After that you have to change the files...btw.what is your main language?english isn`t very easy for me...:)

Thanks, I'll try it out, once I get used to modding I'll start work on my own WW2 MOD, I liked RTW but for me its only half a game lol.

The photoshop thing was mentioned in the video tutorial for creating a MOD, its creating a button for the new civ I think, never mind lol.

I've added a couple of units using graphics found at this site and they look fine everywhere _except_ in the Global view when you zoom all the way out. There's a circle icon with a pointer and inside that it just shows as a pink circle. Where do I fix this? Something to do with the unit resource atlas...

I've added a couple of units using graphics found at this site and they look fine everywhere _except_ in the Global view when you zoom all the way out. There's a circle icon with a pointer and inside that it just shows as a pink circle. Where do I fix this? Something to do with the unit resource atlas...

Hmm, I think I just need to remove the comma before my image name... will try later

What is the purpose of the comma before the image name in other examples?

hmmmmm is this asdbgbfadv?

Please I need help, I look in all tutorials but I didnt find it. I want to change unit graphic for every nation for example:
I want to change that Marine look different for every nation but I want to change only look and nothing else. All I need is what XML files I need to change and I can handle it.

Thanx

Can someone explain in detail these:

<NIF>Art/Units/Terry/Warrior.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Terry/Warrior.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Terry/Warrior_FX.nif</SHADERNIF>

What does each one do? And how do the dds files relate to these?

Also, is it possible to easily do things like make the Caravel fire arrows (like a Trireme) instead of cannon fire?

Nif: This is the file for the 3D model.
kfm: In this file the animations for the model are linked (the file does not contain the animations itself, these are in the .kf files in the same folder).
Shadernif: Same as the .nif, but with shaders (-> needs better graphics; i guess, the normal .nif is only chosen, when you have low graphic settings).

.dds: The skin of the units. These files are attached to the .nif files and are then automatically loaded by the game.

Nif: This is the file for the 3D model.
kfm: In this file the animations for the model are linked (the file does not contain the animations itself, these are in the .kf files in the same folder).
Shadernif: Same as the .nif, but with shaders (-> needs better graphics; i guess, the normal .nif is only chosen, when you have low graphic settings).

.dds: The skin of the units. These files are attached to the .nif files and are then automatically loaded by the game.

Thanks! Are the animations skin dependent or are they skeletal? For instance, can you use one unit's animation for another? Is it possible to have the Caravel for instance fire arrows (like the Trireme) instead of fire cannons? I have tried using another unit's animation but nothing seemed to change.

Animations depend on the skeleton of a unit.
Some units have compatible animation sets, sometimes only parts of the whole set are compatible (depends on the skeleton).

Arrows: I'm not sure, if this is an animation, it could maybe also be an effect (which is technically different) :dunno:. A unit maker has to answer this.

Top Bottom