1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hail Jon Shafer

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by lemmy101, Sep 24, 2010.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

Holy Roman Empire, Germany in the Medieval Era.

2. Sickbean

Sickbean Chieftain

Since I'm obviously an idiot for enjoying Civ 5 so much and not having any crashing issues so far, I decided to start randomly deleting files from the install folder, and NOW MY GAME WONT RUN PROPERLY!!11111SHIFTONE!

FU FIRAXIS, YOU'VE SHAFTED US AGAIN!

Yay, I feel better now I fit in with the rest of the angry mob.

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Emperor

4. Sickbean

Sickbean Chieftain

Oops, sorry.

5. JtW

JtW Prince

Yeah. When I read this thread, I feel like I was in an oasis surrounded by a desert. :lol:

6. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

I hope Shafer and company like making patches.

7. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

Woohoo, a thread written by and for those who like Civ5. I thought I'd never find one! Eagerly awaiting my copy of Civ in the post today, jealous of you Americans. I've been stuck with the demo for the last few days, although that's better than nothing.

Civ5 was always going to be dividing opinions as it has changed quite radically from Civ4. It was bad enough even before release with threads on "Why I'm Not Buying CiV" (note the Civ5 abbreviation I am not a fan of...) and people cancelling their preorders. It's sad it comes to this, but that's a fact of life. You make changes and not everyone is going to like them. You can't please everybody.

Obviously there's going to be bugs - who cares, they'll be fixed shortly. Would you rather wait another couple of months for release when you could be playing it and enjoying it for what it is now? And yes, there's going to be some broken/imbalanced aspects, and the AI might not be quite up to the new layers of strategy, but that's quite forgiveable when the game has changed this much. There's still time for this to be fixed too, and in the mean time we can have fun with the Civ5 we've been given. The fact is, the package we've been given, despite any glaring errors, has an awesome potential.

JS and Firaxis have tried to give us a whole new Civ game here, a fresh addition to the series, and whether or not you like it you can't say they've not achieved their goal. I'm sorry not everyone can be pleased by it, but maybe expansions and the like will bring those people back. Many of us do love this game (even if we've only played the demo to realise that!), so I'd also like to say congrats and thank you to the creators of this great game.

Although if I fail my degree in this final year of studies maybe I'll have to join the dark side...mwahaha! :p

8. klokwerk

klokwerk Prince

Awesome game indeed. It's like they removed every tedious thing from Civ 4.

It's an incredible drug, it's even worse than before, I sleep only 4 hours per day and I still can't stop playing. ^^

Congrats to Firaxis, they delivered again.

9. Sickbean

Sickbean Chieftain

Here's my take on the AI -

The City States represent the 'old' type of AI (transparent, easy to manipulate, not playing to win), whereas the other nations are an attempt to make a more human type of AI (which is a bloody tall order in a game as complex as Civ).

Time will tell how successful this is, but I'm enjoying finding out so far!

10. Womf

Womf Chieftain

been playing since early morning here ( British :lol: ).

I am really enjoying it ; I have purchased three copies and I am looking forward to some serious MP LAN play with friends tomorrow.

having a great time.

11. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Bah, before bashing the old, please understand it ;) Civ IV plays to win after BtS , but Firaxis simply putted there only the culture strategies for it. it was perfectly possible to have a AI playing to win in civ IV , just check the latest versions of better AI for BtS

12. Sickbean

Sickbean Chieftain

I'm British too - been playing at work (windowed to make hiding behind an excel spreadsheet easier!).

13. Sickbean

Sickbean Chieftain

I wasn't bashing the old type of AI, just trying to outline how it was different.

14. dannythefool

dannythefool King

If it's not that, it's at least close. They've *said* they were meant as a game mechanic rather than a believable opponent. Civs in Civ IV are a game mechanic for all practical purposes and if you play on higher difficulties, you treat them like a game mechanic, not a believable opponent.

15. JtW

JtW Prince

:lol: You guys are impossible. I am working from home today, but I don't have the luxury to play: I have STUFF TO DO! :crazyeye:

16. CaptainBinky

CaptainBinky Warlord

Just want to add my name to the list of the 'cool kids' ;)

Love Civ 5 to bits. Bless you Jon Shafer for crafting the first version of Civ where I really want to get better at it. All previous versions I tended to play in a sandboxy kind of way - I'd tone down the difficulty and just expand my empire miles ahead of the A.I. hardly ever going to war...

In Civ 5, each game I've been notching up the difficulty. War is actually FUN now. City management is FUN. Diplomacy is FUN. Building new cities requires thought. Small empires can beat huge empires. THIS game is perfect for me.

And yes, by "perfect" I don't mean that there aren't tiny little quirks that could do with improving but those are the sorts of things that get patched. On the whole, it's a beautiful, lovely game. It's fun, it's challenging, it looks gorgeous, love the interface (don't care what anyone else says), love the leader abilities, love the social policies, love the way that exploring actually feels like exploring now because there's no map trading or "reveal the map" techs.

Thankyou everyone involved for taking a leap rather than just churning out a minor improvement to the last game.

<3 <3 <3

17. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

Sure you do, like posting on the forums? :p

18. Aurelius321

Aurelius321 Warlord

Signed.

19. JtW

JtW Prince

Damn you! And I was so glad with myself that I could keep myself from playing. You crushed my self-esteem. ;)

20. Jamesds

Jamesds Great Scientist

Me too...I'm furiously bashing out words to a report (whilst being distracted here) and purposely not picking up my copy of Civ from my accommodation's reception until 1pm.