Han - Antiquity Age Civilization Discussion

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator

Moderator Action: Attention, I merged 2 separate threads into one. The discusion might therefore be a bit confusing to read now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey everyone! We'd like to take a moment to introduce the newest confirmed civilization on our roster, Han. Get a quick look at a few of their units and playstyle below.

Starting Biases:
Desert
Plains

Attributes:
Diplomatic
Scientific

Unique Ability
Nine Provinces:
The Capital and new Towns gain an additional Population with their first growth event.

Unique Infrastructure
Great Wall:
Unique Improvement. Adds Culture. Increased Happiness for adjacent Great Wall segments. Increased Combat Strength for any Units defending on this tile. Can only be built in a line.

Unique Military Unit
Chu-Ko-Nu:
Unique Ranged Unit. It has a Zone of Control and increased Defense. Has increased Combat Strength when attacking adjacent Units.

Unique Civilian Unit
Shì Dàfū:
Unique Scholar-bureaucrat Unit. Can only be built in the Capital once it has reached a set Population, and the specific Shì Dàfū received is random. Each Shì Dàfū can only be received once. Cost increases per Shì Dàfū built.

Game Guide here:
https://civilization.2k.com/civ-vii/game-guide/civilizations/han/

Thanks, everyone! Be sure to tune in for more news on Civilization VII and updates on upcoming streams :D. ~Gilgamesh

Attachments

• Han_1080x1080_2.jpg
    Han_1080x1080_2.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 35
Interesting that they're just called "Han" and "Maurya" in game yet Firaxis rushed to add India to the latter on the website not long ago. The unit the unique civilian is replacing seems like an interesting unit type, maybe it's a truly unique unit for Han only.

Finally a new civ guide. I have to say I'm loving these unique Great People.

I always preferred it when The Great Wall straight up didn’t let barbarians (or IP soldiers, in this case), didn’t enter/cross a tile, but I’m still into the direction the civ took. Nice to have confirmation on the mystery Horse Head.

Also nice to have confirmation that Great People civilian units don’t require a civ to have Unique Quarters to be built.

I always preferred when the Great Wall was a Wonder versus tile improvement, but good to have confirmation anyway. Music is lovely!
Well, it works really differently now. I suspect it's a replacement for Walls, or, just work similarly. So, you built it them urban districts as one of the buildings.

Well, it works really differently now. I suspect it's a replacement for Walls, or, just work similarly. So, you built it them urban districts as one of the buildings.
They’re a “unique improvement” which means they’re going to take up a whole tile on their own and be considered “rural districts”

Is the starting bias for deserts and plains a typo? I don't see any rational reason for them having those bonuses. Plus their associated wonder requires a grassland tile.

Not surprised that the Chu-Ko-Nu is back.

Yeah, you're right. I just checked the terms. Still it works differently than in previous games. So, it's really interesting how it would go. It still produces culture and unique improvement producing culture is already good.
It seems similar to how it worked in Civ 6, but looks like it provides happiness now instead of gold.

Really enjoying this design. Nicely varied, and that population boom for the capital/new towns will be nice for land grabbing

Is the starting bias for deserts and plains a typo? I don't see any rational reason for them having those bonuses. Plus their associated wonder requires a grassland tile.
Start biases seem to have more varied uses than direct gameplay function now, in contrast with Civ 6.

Here, it’s potentially balance to counteract the extra population from the Civ bonus and emphasize production. Could also be an oblique historical reference to the Gobi Desert, given Han penetration there.

They’re a “unique improvement” which means they’re going to take up a whole on their own and be considered “rural districts”
And from what the explained in either the stream or some of the interviews, unique improvements are built on top of the normal ones. So one would need to get a tile through city growth making it a rural tile and then building a great wall part on top (keeping the original rural district/improvement yield). It will probably be complicate to build a really big one, you would need some really close cities too?

A grassland and river starting bias would make more sense to me, since they even have an ability that increases population on new towns and the capital.

Top Bottom