[R&F] Hardest Civs to Deal With

Germany a pita for me to play against as they LOVE to gobble up CSs and I like to suz has many as possible . Now, if I'm the Aussies this is delightfully synergistic :goodjob:

Most eye-rolling civs to run up against are Germany for exactly this reason, Egypt because no matter what she's gonna hate you for a while, Netherlands for the same reason, and Alexander just because I always meet him in the first couple turns and it's like, great, that's what this game is gonna be about for a while now.

Monty and Genghy, perticularly the latter.
Also on deity I have been severely bitten by Catherine a couple of times late classic early Jedi she can stack them up. So credit where credit is due, +9 knights with general, ugh.

I think AI Monty takes the crown of the ultimate jerk with little competition. If you had a misfortune to be his closest neighbour, oh boy. His Eagles can kill you in your cradle, as early as t26 already on Immortal. Even if you sent him a delegation on sight, did not improve any of your luxuries or gifted one improved to him, if he'd already chosen you as his first victim and started parking units on the fringes of your capital, you might be a goner, he just won't give you a DoF despite all the diplo being superpositive, and he eventually surprise DOW you.

In case of AI Mongolia, Russia, France and pretty much everybody else with later UU, you can hunker down and weather the brunt of their initial attack, from which, however painful it may have been, you can come back with a vengeance. With Monty you just don't have any strategic depth yet to come back from.

You’ll change your mind when you face 12 Genghy horsemen at +17

I see what you mean, but did they kill you completely? I hadn't the (mis)chance to face his horsemen, but I was invaded by a carpet of his cavalry at +12 once. It was very painful, I lost heaps of good musketmen, all of them, in fact, but at the end of the day it was he who was paying me massive war reparations.

I see what you mean, but did they kill you completely? I hadn't the (mis)chance to face his horsemen, but I was invaded by a carpet of his cavalry at +12 once. It was very painful, I lost heaps of good musketmen, all of them, in fact, but at the end of the day it was he who was paying me massive war reparations.
I could not stop him killing my colony city nor the 2 city states I had fostered with many an envoy.. Not as final as an early Monty but the CS setback was huge. +12 horse with a GG, some were Corps.

I could not stop him killing my colony city nor the 2 city states I had fostered with many an envoy.. Not as final as an early Monty but the CS setback was huge. +12 horse with a GG, some were Corps.
Again I say, designing a civ with such bonuses as Mongolia receives to all of their units is utter madness.

....Although, as he had twelve units to devote to the war effort, some corps, perhaps this was a conquest well-deserved nonetheless?

Is there even a way to stop an eagle attack? I mean sometimes the AI pops Oligarchy really fast, and what would you do about that?

Is there even a way to stop an eagle attack? I mean sometimes the AI pops Oligarchy really fast, and what would you do about that?

I may have found a way - get yourself attacked by someone else before Monty DOWs you :D

The thing is, I have a save, my first and only one generated on my phone, vanilla of course, on Immortal, which I’ve been trying to get off the ground whenever I catch a few minutes to spare during the day.

Monty is my closest neighbour to the West. Then there’s Trajan NW and Gilgabro N, but behind some thick jungle. Monty killed me thrice, in the space of t26-30 something. I stopped going towards him, nevertheless he finds me on t9 invariably. No matter my diplomatic overtures, soon there are 5 Eagles and then they do their job.

The fourth time went somewhat similar, Monty found me, I sent delegation, gifted one of 2 of my luxes (improved only one and gifted right away), still no DoF, despite diplo all green, and eagles started parking on the south as usual. But this time Trajan arrived with a few warriors too and decided to jump the gun and DOWed me first! After the previous humiliation at the hands of the Eagles, Roman warriors and chariots were a pleasure to deal with, but to top it all, Monty started to pull back instead of joining in a dogpile!

After I peaced out with Rome, Monty showed up again, but now I had enough archers to scare him away - he did not DOW and pulled back again. Looks like, on my fourth life, I finally survived that start :)

Mapuche
The +10 strength bonus makes it very tough to kill. The strength bonus applies for cities, so they can make very high defense cities, difficult to capture.

A knight-guarded city of Mapuche of 3 districts and medieval walls is 48+10+6(walls)+4(difficulty)+6(districts)=74 strength, if it is hill and capital then 80 strength.

In comparison, Scythia and Aztec bonus only applies for attacks, so their cities are still easy to capture.

America's +5 combat strength is obnoxious if you're trying to "deal" with them, which is by design. Honestly, the bonus really means America should seek to start wars on their home turf, not avoid them. Which, like Australia, they often do against poor wittle city-states, despite their agendas.

I mean considering our history of basically going "NO ONE gets to mess around in the Western Hemisphere EXCEPT for us whenever we want to", I think it's appropriate for America to attack city states on their own continent (see literally ALL of our "police actions" in Latin American countries, annexation of Native American lands and Hawaii, war with Mexico, etc.)

I mean considering our history of basically going "NO ONE gets to mess around in the Western Hemisphere EXCEPT for us whenever we want to", I think it's appropriate for America to attack city states on their own continent (see literally ALL of our "police actions" in Latin American countries, annexation of Native American lands and Hawaii, war with Mexico, etc.)
They were doing it for the “common good”.
To be fair the US does act like an AI civ that is very strong.

Yes yes, Thanksgiving is a celebration of imperialism and so on. Of course, when America doesn't intervene, and tyrants and warlords run roughshod over the hapless, there's criticism for that as well. If America stopped taking on the task of projecting power before autocratic regimes, a ton of money would be saved on maintaining all those aircraft carriers. But I doubt most fans of human rights folks would appreciate the results.

At any rate, I was speaking to Teddy's agenda specifically, which is in conflict with the AI default behavior.

Yeah at a certain point, actually around Teddy's time coincidentally the U.S. stopped expanding after the Spanish American war.

Yes yes, Thanksgiving is a celebration of imperialism and so on. Of course, when America doesn't intervene, and tyrants and warlords run roughshod over the hapless, there's criticism for that as well. If America stopped taking on the task of projecting power before autocratic regimes, a ton of money would be saved on maintaining all those aircraft carriers. But I doubt most fans of human rights folks would appreciate the results.

At any rate, I was speaking to Teddy's agenda specifically, which is in conflict with the AI default behavior.
You say that like we actually care if they're warlords, tyrants or autocrats. The only thing we care about is whether or not they give our businesses sweetheart deals.

Back on topic, the Mapuche are a serious thorn in my side. They always seem to get their UU just in time to stymie my knight rush in every game I meet them in. They must really beeline hard.

Peter's a psychopathic expansionist GWAM-hoarder. Pedro will backstab you. If you upset Genghis Khan, God have mercy on your soul, because Genghis won't.

Russia's secret UU: Great WAM: Earned with GPP from Lavra. When attacked, returns to your city rather than taking damage. Can not attack. Can be turned into culture/tourism about three or four ages after this unit is created.

Russia's secret UU: Great WAM: Earned with GPP from Lavra. When attacked, returns to your city rather than taking damage. Can not attack. Can be turned into culture/tourism about three or four ages after this unit is created.
Took me too long to get this...

Top Bottom