Hardest difficulty you have beaten the game on!

3 win on Warlord, 1 domination win in Noble/Small world. (This game was very exciting at the first part) The second Noble game is currently going on, leading by double score before the 2nd AI civization. This is not too exciting due to frequent freezing of the game. I have to confess that I reload the saved game when I do something stupid. Also I modified the Roman Civilisation so that I can select any leader in the game to lead the romans. I like the Praetorian unit very much. Recently I played Romans with leder Louis XIV.

meowsqueak said:
How do the difficulty levels work with hosting a multiplayer game? Each human player can set their own difficulty (so each receives bonuses/penalties subject to their own setting?) but the AI is set to 'Noble' and there's no apparent way to change it. I'd quite like to make the AI harder as a cooperative game is far too easy with the AI on 'Noble'. So how does this work? The manual is less than helpful.

As i understand it, 'Noble' is the difficulty setting the computer plays on, as always. If you want to make the AI strong relative to the rest of you it means everyone has to be Prince+.

It is a bit weird though. Difficulty settings not only affect you but the AI as well in SP games. I assume that does not happen in MP? In that case it might indeed make sense to be able to let the AI play on chieftain if you're really good.

Edit: and to answer the question, only played on Noble so far, want to get every kind of victory there before moving up. Won diplomatic with Gandhi and Cultural with Saladin. Now I'll probably try Conquest with either Tokugawa or that Incan guy.

AlvinChu said:
Immortal,standard map,6 AIs,India,space victory
score 17000+,at about 18xx AC

That's impressive, what strategy did you use to beat AI on Immortal level?

Mutax2003

Chieftain (duel, quick) ... domination

Emperor (large, quick) ... space race

Now i'm tryin' immortal skills

Game is bad balanced (sorry for my English). Used to build mines on hills, cottages on grassland and irrigation on plains. I had many problems to create an army and conquest the neighbours. Luckily game was set to space race victory, so i didn't have to fight a lot. I won the game, but i havn't enough time to complete even the buildings, not mention about creating an army. At the end of the game had few mech-infantry and a lot of swordsman, longbowman etc, couse i couldn't enough time to build a proper army. Upgreading an army is also to expensive. Any advice? Though?

3 wins on Prince. 1 loss on Monarch.
On Monarch it was crazy. I was at war with 6 civs at once; and it's not like I was being mean or anything. I paid tribute to most of the, I gave fair trades, I did what any good neighbour would do. But they still wanted me dead. I held my own for a long time though. I may have actually beaten them if I didn't make a few critical mistakes towards the end.

I haven't won a game at a higher level than prince yet, but then those higher difficulty level games I was making sure that all the other game settings had me working as the underdog. Sometimes its fun to just get totally pwned by your opponents.

Prince, 2 times (domination and culture)

I used to win fairly easily on Emperor in CivIII, but Monarch on CivIV kills me dead quickly. I fall behind in tech and am unable to catch up. Eventually get the conflict of stack of Tanks and Mech Inf (them) and Rifleman (me)..I lose.

mutax2003 said:
That's impressive, what strategy did you use to beat AI on Immortal level?

Mutax2003

As Indian,just the growth strategy can work:obtain the wonders,control the resources and do well with AIs.
But I must say, there has so much LUCK in that game. The greatest Luck is the bronze working tech given by a tribe village(This is realy lucky,no SL at all,and after this game,i just use SL to every tribe for a tech bonus:p).
Also it's an amazing map for Indian, with 4 gold mines near my location,so I first train a worker and chop out 3 settlers to control the mines and this make me keep up with AIs' research speed. More luckily, so many forest near my cities,so I can obtain the Pyramid,the Oracle,the Hanging Garden,the Great Library,all the greatest wonders in ancient time I think.

and after this game,i just use SL to every tribe for a tech bonus:p
That's pretty cheap you know. I mean, you might as well just edit the save so that you have the extra tech. It's hard to resist exploiting the power of the save feature, but it does make the game more worth while. But I shouldn't lecture you on how to play the game...

--edit-- wait a second, SL = save/load, right? I've never heard it before but I just assumed.

I've played around 6 completed game and around 4 which I do not finish!!
I completed most of the game by cultural victory around 1950AD with a score around 10.000.
I try a conquest victory on a small map in duel and I had a 49.000 score.

All the game I've played are at noble.

LeSphinx

Noble is too easy. AI is too puzzy :)queen:). And even on Prince, they rarely declare a war against you. I try to get one victory on prince before going higher.

Here is the score from Russia... Will try Emperor next time. Waiting for patch for new gaming experience... In the game, that I won with the domination the only winning conditions were - Cultural, Domination and Kill Them All :).

Attachments

• civ4.jpg
    civ4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,379
I don't understand the point of this new scoring system. Civ3 had definately better system - you got more points with more challenging level. Somebody explain me why they changed it to this??

JosephVA said:
I have yet to see anyone beat the game on prince/monarch in anything other than a small or tiny map
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=348076&poll_id=0&warned=y
That's probably not surprising, consider number of complains on Civ4 performance on large maps. I was doing well on a large map, but it started to crash way too often, besides slowing down. So this game will have to wait for patch.

But I think I've come up with pretty reliable strategy of beating deity on tiny/duel continental maps. Now I want to try to find something for the island maps...

won couple of nobles on standard and small maps. Random civ, and no 'tricks'
One Prince win after couple of miserable tries, you start to lose your economy on this level, if expanding too fast.

AI's are more hostile than in Civ III and collaborate with each other quite eagerly. AI also seems to viciously exlpoit the weaker nations either by bullying them or plainly destroying them.

Space Race victory is pretty hard to prevent if you don't happen to control all the resources of uranium and/or aluminium.

Otherwise ok game, but there are serious performance issues as mentioned.

Played all Civ's from the original one, including CTP and Alpha Centauri branches. Those boxes look nice on the shelf. Civ III conquest I didn't manage to beat at sid ever... :sad:

I won two games on noble, one a space race victory. For the other one I hade the space race disabled and I won by score. I really have to try some other wining scenarios. :)

Top Bottom