Hardware...

a98ac7h

Chieftain
I saw the thread earlier about this...but I guess I'll start it again.

I'm running a 400 MHz G3 iMac DV running 9.2. No modifications...with 128 megs of RAM. I have Civ3 on the PC side that I play at school for about two hours every day in my CISCO networking class (pssst...don't tell my instructor). It runs very smoothly on that machine, which is a 1 GHz P3 low-profile IBM thingy (bleech).

Would it be worth it to buy it on the Mac side to play at home...or should I wait until I get a new computer. Any thoughts on how well it would play? What kind of gear is everybody running this on?

Your a GO!!! My Pismo G3 400 PowerBook handles the game fairly well. From what I understand people using the game in 9X seem to think that it runs faster than in X. I run it in X with no problem whatsoever. I does lag a little at towards the end but what do you expect from a protable.

Remember that iMacs are basically PowerBook G3s with slightly slower bus speeds. Only recommendation would be to get a stick of memory if you plan on X playing.

I'd say just get another stick of memory regardless. Your entire system will perform better, and RAM is dirt cheap these days.

I got the game for my mac finally. It took a while for my local CompUSA to finally get it in stock for mac, but I have it.

It doesn't run all that bad, but it's slow and jerky. It's just not as fluid as when I run it at school.

Does anyone have any suggestions for streamlining or things to turn off when playing to improve performance?

Originally posted by Beamup
I'd say just get another stick of memory regardless. Your entire system will perform better, and RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Bad news, Beamup. RAM ain't dirt cheap any more. That 512MB that cost $69 from Crucial a couple of months ago is now $188.:cry:

For what it's worth, I've got Civ III installed on my Beige G3/233 with 384 MB of RAM.

Civ III runs great in OS X as well as in OS 9 on the beige box. There were a few unexpected quits, but other than that, and the spaceship issue I posted earlier today, I've had no problems!

Waiting on the editor now.

Wait a second! quick question.... Is Civ III supposed to allow multiplayer as well? My 12 year old has been watching me play my collection of Sid's games (I still have an Apple IIc with my original Microprose floppy of Pirates!) I put Pirates! Gold on the his computer, but would like to play a multiplayer civ game with him, his sisters, and my other half (Our computers are networked in the house.. they're all on Win98/Win2K machines though)

Top Bottom