Have you stopped playing until patched?

To play or not to play? This is the question.

• I've stopped playing until the patch arrives.

Votes: 154 69.7%
  • I won't stop playing, I'm having a blast!

Votes: 67 30.3%

• Total voters
Might be waiting several patches before I start playing again, we'll see. I have my doubts they're going to be able to make the victory conditions fun in just one patch.

I don't know how the core game can be boring. The core game is civilization. I've seen small tweaks radically change strategy games. There's nothing wrong with this game that can't be fixed.

How do they make it boring? You do exactly what they did with BE, take out or minimize all the things that make Civ fun and put a big emphasis on all the things that make Civ frustrating. Easy. Fixable, yes, but bad bad bad not good bad right now.

It is possible. Have we actually been promised expansions?

If CivBE is like any of the Colonization entries to the game, there would be no expansion. Cynically you might wonder whether their resources are better spent on a bigger, better, sooner Civ VI launch.

On the bright side, you might hope that Civ BE becomes another steady franchise, developed alongside Civ and XCOM. Sort of like the way Vicky/HOI hobble alongside EU/CK for Paradox.

Well moo3 was a new game with a new engine from a developer no one had ever heard of before or since. Firaxis has some reputation to uphold. This is a fear based assumption. That serves no purpose other than to pat yourself on the back if your right as a consolation prize for not getting the game improved.
It's like the guy in the disaster movie who while every one else is thinking of ways to survive keeps saying "why bother, we're all going to die anyway". Why be that guy? I don't understand it.

I wonder if this big patch is a sign Firaxis is going to abandon the game after it. It's not secret that the game's budget was small so I wonder if all they have money for is one major patch and then they move on to other things.

Certainly, doing this isn't Firaxis' style but such a long delay before the first patch and the size of it makes me suspicious.

Maybe Civ VI is on tap to really get going and they need all hands-on-deck so to speak so BE may have a limited support cycle.

Yeah, well, if they don't support this game properly by releasing free patches to fix the bug fixes and game balance that never should've been problems at launch to begin with, I will be very hesitant to buy another Civ game. No pre-order like this time, no matter what bonuses are included. I'll also wait for these forums to give it a stamp of approval before thinking of buying.

I picked up Endless Legend. Enjoying it immensely.

It's odd because I wouldn't have considered buying it originally because BE was supposed to cover my 4X needs for the foreseeable future. But even with patches, I can't see BE ever grabbing my attention again.

How do they make it boring? You do exactly what they did with BE, take out or minimize all the things that make Civ fun and put a big emphasis on all the things that make Civ frustrating. Easy.

Oh, yeah. There's a totally objective, easily quantifiable list that everybody agrees on 100%. :rolleyes:

so I was planning to wait until the new patch, but nothing else manages to scratch my gaming itch currently, so I started a new game instead.

BE is fun! :)

I hope in the first patch they fix the Explorer. Ever notice how he will sometimes keep running in place when he's out of moves? Poor guy, I bet he gets tired. :(

But I'll keep playing until the patch comes out because the game is so much fun.

I picked up Endless Legend. Enjoying it immensely.

It's odd because I wouldn't have considered buying it originally because BE was supposed to cover my 4X needs for the foreseeable future. But even with patches, I can't see BE ever grabbing my attention again.

I bought that during the beta and played it. I probably shouldn't have as it left a bad taste in my mouth. From what I've read in reviews, the game is supposed to be very good now.

I may return and give it a go as it doesn't seem likely the patch for BE is coming out soon.

Yep. All the bugs, horrible balance, laughable AI, and irritating functions aside...the game is just plain boring.

Still playing. I actually am having a blast, but I'm a huge scifi geek. I have fun just reading the Civilopedia, so I'm easy that way.

So it appears that 2/3rds of the players are on a break 'till the patch arrives.

I'll probably play once and a while, but there are too many things that fundamentally break the game for me to invest any serious amount of time playing.

So it appears that 2/3rds of the players are on a break 'till the patch arrives.

2/3 of the CivFanatics' players. Considering it's averaging about 7500 players out of a 86000 peak, it's probably worse than that.

I might even wait for an expansion or a few patches. I did that with Civ 4 and 5 after the first few playthroughs and both times it was a good choice.

So far I liked BE a lot less than vanilla 4 or 5 so I only made 1.5 playthroughs before stopping.

The players who come to Civ Fanatics are not a remotely representative sample. Heck probably 1 in 6 players never once play the game period.

Top Bottom