heal workers?

mjd260

Chieftain
Any idea why one of the options for some of my workers, in addition to build a cottage, railroad, etc., is to heal them? I noticed this after my cities got the plague the second time around. It takes three turns to heal them, but what's the point?

It is because the plague hurt them, if I am not very much mistaken the purpose of healing them is to increase their odds of surviving another plague.

Hi ,

Simple , get a few medics and keep those with the workers , or put your workers on a ship and sail away , ....

the best is to keep at least two units with medic promotion in a rather healthy city , they will heal each other and other units also , three or four are no luxury in one city , the plague can easily come twice around to you in a rather short time frame !

Have a nice day

I usually just put as many of my units as possible on a ship when the plague rolls around.

That's why the plague system is a bit unelegant and exploity.

uhm, I don't think the ship is going to keep them alive.

uhm, I don't think the ship is going to keep them alive.

It does. When plague spreads to one of your cities, you should move all the units from cities which are still healthy to ships and sail them to the deep blue sea. I rarely use that exploit, but I do sometimes.

Hi ,

well okay , how many of you build a few units that are medics only ???

or does the plague kill everthing you have , ..... ??

hmmmm , nice to leave cities wide open , .....

> dabur says to himself ; where is my list for PBEM games so i can write down who leave his cities again ? <

Have a nice day

Another weird exploit to save workers: when a city gets plague, move any workers within two squares (fat cross plus the corners) away to a third square (either to heal, work any tiles not in the fat cross, a healthy city, or even outside your borders). The plague extends out two spaces from the city. Unless your workers are killed in the first turn, they'll be safe. Move and heal immediately. Of course, in a war you're screwed...

I usually just put as many of my units as possible on a ship when the plague rolls around.

As the English I once had 2 of 3 settlers on a trip around Cape Hope die because they sailed around several dutch cities getting hit with the plague. Ships don't specifically help, but being more than 3 tiles away from a plague city does.

Another weird exploit to save workers: when a city gets plague, move any workers within two squares (fat cross plus the corners) away to a third square (either to heal, work any tiles not in the fat cross, a healthy city, or even outside your borders). The plague extends out two spaces from the city. Unless your workers are killed in the first turn, they'll be safe. Move and heal immediately. Of course, in a war you're screwed...

hi ,

nope , sometimes it takes three or four turns for them to die :eek:

bring them home and wait to sit it out or get a medic in to the field , or risk of losing them can sometimes be to great

so anyone using the plague as a small weapon or benefit :confused:

in certain games its always nice to take advantage of the plague :mischief::D

have a great day :)

hi ,

nope , sometimes it takes three or four turns for them to die :eek:

It usually kills them within three turns, and workers tend to die over time, as opposed to heal, when they're moved into a city. As soon as the plague hits that area, just so they have a chance to survive, they should be moved three spaces away from the city.

It does. When plague spreads to one of your cities, you should move all the units from cities which are still healthy to ships and sail them to the deep blue sea. I rarely use that exploit, but I do sometimes.

Ah, then I take it it's taking them outside your borders that helps, not the ship. I found moving units away from cities doesn't work as well as having them heal in the city with a medic. Also, I think the plague only (heavily ?) damages one unit per stack at one time, so having them in a stack helps minimize losses.

How so?( 10 characters)

hi ,

use it :mischief:

simple , give cities or make sure you can spread it :D

and its always nice to go after a few cities after most of the locals are ' plagued ' and the local militia is weak or in the hospital , .... :nuke:

take advantage of a less positive event and use it to your own benefit :)

Have a healthy day ;)

Don't forget that plague spreads along trade routes like roads and rivers as well. Workers that are >3 tiles away from plagued cities can still die if they are standing on a connected tile like this. Units are made of tougher stuff though, usually.

Also, the one *huge* benefit to moving units out of a city rather than keeping them put with a medic is that you avoid the auto kill of a unit when the plague spreads to that city. I almost always move my units out, then back the turn after the plague has hit.

yeah, exactly how you say Mushyman :)
Also, taking them to the deep blue has one big downside: no defenders in the city is a huge risk. Do not do it in Egypt or else... :D

Top Bottom