Heavy Ironclad Battleship

I think what need to be checked is, if after editing the cannons the vertices are still assigned to correct bones. Depending on how Blender handels envelopes (or however it is called there) this might not be the case, when you copy/paste parts of the mesh. All the gus vertices need to have Vertex Weight of on with either DUMMY_Guns_Port or DUMMY_Guns_Starboard bone.

I know you have have done this before, and it did work, but apparently something changed in the new version of the plugin you use.

Maybe the Frigate mesh is broken while importing already - have you tried just import the frigate, do nothing then export it again ? If everything works correctly, the frigate should stay animated...

Unfortunately i can not import your unit in max to take a look myself :(

Hmm, I cannot remember if I did the frigate by itself as it has been a while since I have done anything really. (Done to much playing you know. :p).

Yeah, I think it is the new plugin, do not know why but I do. I do kind of remember doing something with the weight painting, I guess I should look again.

Thanks for mulling it over with me. ;)

Hello.

While I was waiting for a working animation I started an experiment this evening. And I could improve the situation a little bit.

My cannons are firing now!
It's maybe not perfekt, but much better than a static ship. :rolleyes:

Just use my new frigate.nif and point in the ArtDefines to frigate.nif instead of ironcladbattleship.nif. That's it! Still use the frigate.kfm.

Have fun.

Would be nice to know, what exactly you did :D Might help finding out what causes this.

Well i do not see the cannons at all now... But my computer is known for all kinds of weird grafical mess ups... :(

Sorry, it's not your computer - it's a part of the solution.
I tried it out... both the Battleship and Cruiser (Warrior)...

Both now have working cannons which is good! :goodjob:

However, I did notice a slight issue... the ships no longer "sway" in the water...

It's a minor thing, and I suppose having working cannons with no sway is better then sway with no cannons, but is there anyway to get the sway and the cannons?

It seems as if I've got good news,guys. I can repair the ship! :D

At the moment I've got a test-version that:

- shows the cannons
- shows smoke of the cannons when firing
- recoils when firing

:eek:

Maybe, but only maybe, even the chimney will smoke. :crazyeye:

But if I have not enough time tomorrow it will be next week. Sorry. :blush:

Wow, thanks so much for your efforts!!!

I will edit it into the first post, or even upload it instead of the other with your name in it!

Thanks you so very much!

Wow, thanks so much for your efforts!!!

I will edit it into the first post, or even upload it instead of the other with your name in it!

Thanks you so very much!

Not complaining... but the rocking-sway motion is gone in this new version... mind you, I'd rather have no-sway with firing guns then sway without firing guns, but it'd be nice to have both.

Not complaining... but the rocking-sway motion is gone in this new version... mind you, I'd rather have no-sway with firing guns then sway without firing guns, but it'd be nice to have both.

I was thinking of the below version when I posted that. :p

As it semms I've got good news,guys. I can repair the ship! :D

At the moment I've got a test-version that:

- shows the cannons
- shows smoke of the cannons when firing
- recoils when firing

:eek:

Maybe, but only maybe, even the chimney will smoke. :crazyeye:

But if I have not enough time tomorrow it will be next week. Sorry. :blush:

Hello. :hatsoff:

I'm proud to tell you that it is done! The ship is now animated! :rotfl:

The ship has now the following effects:

- the cannons are shown
- there are three smokes when the ship attacks
- the ship recoils when it attacks
- there are two hit effects
- there is a death hit effect
- the ship sways when it sinks
- there is smoke from the chimney when it runs

But there are still problems!

- no support for team color
- no damage states
- still looks blue in the civiliopedia
- there are two cannons missing!!!

Dear GeneralMatt, please make if possible a new >NiTriShape "Frigate_Hull"< with the two missing cannons (or more ). :rolleyes:

The "new" Heavy Ironclad Battleship comes along with it's own animations. The animations are different from the animations of the original ironclad although they have the same name! Don't delete files. Don't point to the original files. That will cause mistakes like only one smoke instead of three!

Wrong:
HTML:
<KFM>Art/Units/Ironclad/Ironclad.kfm</KFM>

Right:
HTML:
<KFM>Art/Units/Ironcladbattleship/Ironclad.kfm</KFM>

Your ArtDefines should be similar to this:
HTML:
<UnitArtInfo>
			<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_IRONCLADBATTLESHIP</Type>
			<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Ironcladbattleship.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Custom_Unit_Atlas.dds,x,y</Button>
			<fScale>0.11</fScale>
			<fInterfaceScale>0.98</fInterfaceScale>
			<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
			<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
			<NIF>Art/Units/Ironcladbattleship/Ironcladbattleship.nif</NIF>
			<KFM>Art/Units/Ironcladbattleship/Ironclad.kfm</KFM>
			<SHADERNIF>Art/Units/Ironcladbattleship/Ironcladbattleship.nif</SHADERNIF>
			<ShadowDef>
				<ShadowNIF>Art/Units/01_UnitShadows/FrigateShadow.nif</ShadowNIF>
				<ShadowAttachNode>BIP Pelvis</ShadowAttachNode>
				<fShadowScale>0.12</fShadowScale>
			</ShadowDef>
			<iDamageStates>4</iDamageStates>			
			<fBattleDistance>0.35</fBattleDistance>
			<fRangedDeathTime>0.31</fRangedDeathTime>
			<bSmoothMove>1</bSmoothMove>
			<fAngleInterpRate>720.0</fAngleInterpRate>
			<fBankRate>.3</fBankRate>
			<fExchangeAngle>25.0</fExchangeAngle>
			<bActAsRanged>0</bActAsRanged>
			<TrainSound>AS2D_UNIT_BUILD_UNIT</TrainSound>
			<AudioRunSounds>
				<AudioRunTypeLoop>LOOPSTEP_OCEAN2</AudioRunTypeLoop>
				<AudioRunTypeEnd>ENDSTEP_OCEAN2</AudioRunTypeEnd>
			</AudioRunSounds>
			<SelectionSound>AS3D_UN_OCEAN_END1</SelectionSound>
			<ActionSound>AS3D_UN_OCEAN_END1</ActionSound>
		</UnitArtInfo>

Maybe the scales won't fit to your game because I rescaled all my ships with the help of the wikipedia and a calculator! ;) I gave them more realistic dimensions! So the most of my ships are smaller now but it looks much better in a battle! Believe me. But do as you want to.

I hope you all like the animated ship! :wavey:

Is the HMS Warrior getting the same treatment?

Maybe the scales won't fit to your game because I rescaled all my ships with the help of the wikipedia and a calculator! I gave them more realistic dimensions! So the most of my ships are smaller now but it looks much better in a battle! Believe me. But do as you want to.

I hope you all like the animated ship!
I'd like to enjoy this download, but I've tried it multiple times (downloading,etc) and it's either corrupted or something weird is happening, but the file won't uncompress... I've tried both WinZip and WinRAR.

Anyone else having problems with this download?

Wolfshanze:

Looks fine for me.

Thomas SG: Thank you so very much! I will upload it to the database, replacing the one there now and giving you credit!

Would you be willing to explain how you fix it so I someday might be able to do it without reinventing the wheel so to speak?

Wolfshanze:

Looks fine for me.
Well I'm left out in the cold then... I can download it, but it always errors-out when trying to extract the files... both in WinZip and WinRAR.

Guess I'll never get to use this...

Try Ultimate zip.. that is what I use.
I didn't try unzipping though, let me look.
Edit: Ahh, that did it. Hmm, problem there to.

Try Ultimate zip.. that is what I use.
I didn't try unzipping though, let me look.
Edit: Ahh, that did it. Hmm, problem there to.

It can be that Thomas SG has used the newest version of winzip (winzip 11?).
We had a similar problem with a Civ 3 scenario with the same errors. The newest version of winzip can´t be opened with winrar, too. I can´t proof this with this zipfile, as I have deleted my free test-version of the new winzip-version after the free testphase has expiered.

Top Bottom