• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Heavy Metal themed civilizations

DoktorApplejuce

Champion of Kirkwall
I'm not sure how popular heavy metal is amongst Civ players, but it is definitely something I'm very much into. As such, I've come up with an idea for a mod/group of mods.

The concept is to have each sub-genre as their own civ (Power Metal, Thrash Metal, etc), and have the cities be named after popular/influential bands of that genre (Blind Guardian, Helloween, Rhapsody of Fire, etc for Power Metal; Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, etc for Thrash...).

The leaders would obviously be musicians, (Hansi Kursch for Power Metal, Chuck Schuldiner for Death Metal, etc.), and the UAs would be named after influential songs/albums (perhaps Unholy Warcry for Power, Metal Melitia for Thrash, etc.)

0-0-0-0-0

The following are some Ideas I have for the civs (nothing below is set in stone, and is able to change if need be)

Civ: Thrash Metal

Capital: Metallica
Leader: Cliff Burton
Trait: Peace Sells… But Who’s Buying? (Earn a 20% boost to gold income and production of military units upon declaration of war).
UU: Metal Melitia (Replaces the Musketman. Cheaper, and costs no maintenance)
UU: Metal Command (Replaces Great General. Combat Capable, comparable to strongest melee or gun unit your civ can build at the time of its spawn)
Cities: Slayer, Megadeth, Overkill, Anthrax, Kreator, Testament, Sodom, Exodus, Destruction, Death Angel, Sepultura, Annihilator, Toxik, Municipal Waste, Evile, Coroner, Holy Moses, Sacred Reich, Dark Angel, Suicidal Tendencies, Havok, Tankard, Gamma Bomb
Spies: Tom Araya, Dave Mustaine, Scott Ian, Mille Petrozza, Jeff Waters, Chuck Billy, Tom Hunting, Sabina Classen, Britta Görtz
Peace Music|War Music

Civ: Melodic Death Metal

Capital: In Flames
Leader: Jesper Strömblad
Trait: Only for the Weak (Captured cities produce half the usual unhappiness)
UU: Guardians of Asgard (Replaces swordsman, Twilight of the Thundergod promotion grants it a 100% boost to combat in friendly territory)
UU: Nemesis (Replaces fighter. Eye for an Eye promotion allows it to fight at full capacity, even when damaged)
Cities: Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, Arch Enemy, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Amon Amarth, Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Carcass, Norther, Insomnium, Scar Symmetry, Blood Stain Child, Mors Principium Est, Wintersun, Omnium Gatherum, Avatar, Disarmonia Mundi
Spies: Angela Gossow, Johan Hegg, Christian Älvestam, Jari Mäenpää, Björn Strid, Alexi Laiho, Pekka Kokko, Petri Lindroos, Ryo
Peace Music|War Music

Civ: Oriental Metal

Capital:
Orphaned Land
Leader: Kobi Farhi
Trait: Tales of the Sand (Desert tiles yield faith and culture. Cities built on desert tiles receive one Great Writer point per turn.)
UU: Pyramid God (Replaces Great Engineer. Manufactories built by it yield faith, can hurry production twice.)
UB: Sing Ling Temple (Replaces temple. Units receive 15 XP when trained in cities with the Sing Ling Temple)
Cities: Septicflesh, Chthonic, Melechesh, Ego Fall, Myrath, Whispered, Tengger Cavalry, Amaseffer, Wagakki Band, Pentagram, Othean, Arallu, Distorted, Empylver, Salem, Arsames, Angband, Dark Ambition, Gevolt, Odious, Asura
Spies: Doris Yeh, Spiros Antoniou, Murat Cenan, Malek Ben Arbia, Zhang Tianran, Sun Bori, Erez Yohanan, Hakan Utangaç, Yuko Suzuhana
Peace Music|War Music

Metalcore count? :D

You bet. It's metal, and there are good examples of it; no matter what the elitists say. I will avoid using bands like BFMV and A7X to (hopefully) keep them happy though.

MUSTA.

KRAKISH.

We need more Klok. Although I'm more of a classic nwobhm type with some power metal here and there. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Manowar, Polish band called Turbo.

Musta Krakish; King and death to worlds!

And traditional heavy metal will be there as well, else I'd lose all credibility as a metalhead.

I'm way too much into the classics (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Manowar, Dio, Deep Purple...) and I prefer rock to metal, but this seems interesting, and I like it!

Alright, I sat down and pounded out these icons here, thoughts?

(Black Metal, Death Metal, Folk Metal, Power Metal, and Thrash Metal in order)

Even though it's technically going the other way, that middle one seems extremely similar to whoward's Morindim Civilization icon.

Even though it's technically going the other way, that middle one seems extremely similar to whoward's Morindim Civilization icon.

It's probable that a lot of Celtic mods before Gods and Kings came out use something similar as well; the symbol's a fairly standard Celtic knot.

The colour palette I used came from this album cover:
Spoiler :

A handful of ideas I had before falling asleep. You get the best ones just before sleep. You do, right? :sad:

Heavy Metal

Leader: Rob Halford

UA: Screaming For Vengeance / Metal Gods: Gain Culture from kills. Great Artists, Musicians and Writers are earned 25% faster.

UU: Saxon (Swordsman); powerful Classical Era melee unit, its Lionheart promotion grants 50% combat strength bonus when attacking, paving the way for new metal genres. When a Saxon captures a city, gain a filled Great Work of Music slot in the capital.

UU: Spitfire (Fighter); strong fighter replacement that runs on Beer rather than Oil (requires a source of Wheat). Significant combat bonus when fighting near owned cities. Aces High promotion grants an increase in Tourism output in a city where it's stationed.

Pre-Metal

Leader: Ozzy Osbourne / Tony Iommi

UA: Whole Lotta Love: Gain 250 Tourism when a Great Person is born. Receive a free Great Musician each era starting in Renaissance.

UU: Iron Man (Great General); The time is here for the Iron Man to spread fear, -25% combat strength to enemy units within 2 tile radius. Kills the people he once saved: can be sacrificed to kill every unit (friend or foe) within two tile radius.

UU: Jimmy Page (Great Musician); sweet guitar solos make each Jimmy Page able to perform a Concert Tour 4 times.

Power Metal

Leader: Eric Adams / Joey DeMaio

UA: Warriors of the World United: City-State Influence degrades at half the normal rate. Land Melee units have a chance of capturing defeated foes.

UU: Man-o-War (Privateer); Black Wind, Fire and Steel: powerful naval melee unit that gains a combat bonus against cities and has a 100% ship capture chance.

UU: Carolean (Rifleman); Carolux Rex: apart form regular Carolean benefits, gains extra Great General generation. Can perform a Power Prayer, which completely heals the unit (once per unit)

Jan covered the three styles of metal I listen to, and they are glorious. I would've used King of Kings as the Power Metal UA name.

I once had an idea for an 80's civ, with Reagan or Schwarzenegger as the leader and a Phil Collins UU, but now I see that the 80's could be covered with Heavy or Glam/Hair Metal civs. :D Or even freaking Survivor.

Jan covered the three styles of metal I listen to, and they are glorious. I would've used King of Kings as the Power Metal UA name.

We pretty much listen to the same stuff then. :D Although recently I'm veering more towards old-school electronica (a.k.a Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk) and symphonic soundtracks, but I started off in my middle grade school years with Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden. I chose "Warriors" as the UA name in accordance to City State bonus mostly, but King of Kings would work too.

Damn, this thread reunites me with my high school self. Too many feels.

A handful of ideas I had before falling asleep. You get the best ones just before sleep. You do, right? :sad:

Heavy Metal

Leader: Rob Halford

UA: Screaming For Vengeance / Metal Gods: Gain Culture from kills. Great Artists, Musicians and Writers are earned 25% faster.

UU: Saxon (Swordsman); powerful Classical Era melee unit, its Lionheart promotion grants 50% combat strength bonus when attacking, paving the way for new metal genres. When a Saxon captures a city, gain a filled Great Work of Music slot in the capital.

UU: Spitfire (Fighter); strong fighter replacement that runs on Beer rather than Oil (requires a source of Wheat). Significant combat bonus when fighting near owned cities. Aces High promotion grants an increase in Tourism output in a city where it's stationed.

Pre-Metal

Leader: Ozzy Osbourne / Tony Iommi

UA: Whole Lotta Love: Gain 250 Tourism when a Great Person is born. Receive a free Great Musician each era starting in Renaissance.

UU: Iron Man (Great General); The time is here for the Iron Man to spread fear, -25% combat strength to enemy units within 2 tile radius. Kills the people he once saved: can be sacrificed to kill every unit (friend or foe) within two tile radius.

UU: Jimmy Page (Great Musician); sweet guitar solos make each Jimmy Page able to perform a Concert Tour 4 times.

Power Metal

Leader: Eric Adams / Joey DeMaio

UA: Warriors of the World United: City-State Influence degrades at half the normal rate. Land Melee units have a chance of capturing defeated foes.

UU: Man-o-War (Privateer); Black Wind, Fire and Steel: powerful naval melee unit that gains a combat bonus against cities and has a 100% ship capture chance.

UU: Carolean (Rifleman); Carolux Rex: apart form regular Carolean benefits, gains extra Great General generation. Can perform a Power Prayer, which completely heals the unit (once per unit)

Wow, you sure thought this out; these are definitely great ideas. The only thing I'd say is that what you have under Heavy Metal would moreso be Speed Metal, but as I plan on making a Speed metal civ, all of that is very much useable and awesome.

Wow, you sure thought this out; these are definitely great ideas. The only thing I'd say is that what you have under Heavy Metal would moreso be Speed Metal, but as I plan on making a Speed metal civ, all of that is very much useable and awesome.

The line between Speed and Heavy (especially the mid-80's nwobhm variety) is very fuzzy to me. :sad:

Isn't speed metal the one that's one metamphetamine?

*badumtss IN METAL STYLE*

Do not mention that name, otherwise we'd have to play grandpas guitars and we all know thats dildos :lol:

Ok, here are all the icons for all of the genres I currently have plans to create a civ for. (In order: Black Metal, Death Metal, Deathcore, Doom Metal, Folk Metal, Gothic Metal, Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Metalcore, Oriental Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Symphonic Metal, and Thrash Metal).

Spoiler :

I could definitely do more; there are Nu-metal and Glam Metal, both of which I know would tick off the purists much more than the Metalcore and Deathcore will. I was going to make Speed Metal its own civ, but as janboruta rightfully pointed out, Speed and Heavy Metal are pretty tough to tell apart. Then, of course I could go ahead and pull apart the genres even further, and add crossovers (Progressive Death, Symphonic Black, etc.), but that just gets a little too nit-picky. Same thing for Folk; I could split that up into Celtic metal, Slavic metal, Viking Metal, etc, but again, that's just too finicky.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom