Help choosing a new laptop

Micromegas

Warlord
Hi all! :)

I was thinking of finally buying Civ5, but after reading the steam thread I dropped that plan. That piece of §$%&#!? is not going to happen. So instead of buying a new gaming computer with insanely high specs (Bethesda lost a paying customer too, same reasons), I will get me a new laptop to play Civ4 anywhere and donate the remaining money to the pirate party.

So, what do I need to be able to play on the biggest maps with the most resource consuming mods for Civ4? I'd prefer a Thinkpad, as I am a sucker for those keyboards and the trackpoint, and I'd like to keep it as small as possible. So I am thinking of a used x-something. These come with Intel-grafics, so the question really is which generation do I need? I don't really have a clue, never even touched those. Any input appreciated. TIA.

Best to get one with its own discreet graphics card. I have a Thinkpad T41 with ATI 9000 and it runs civ 4 OK, so I know why you like Thinkpads.

So, what do I need to be able to play on the biggest maps with the most resource consuming mods for Civ4? I'd prefer a Thinkpad, as I am a sucker for those keyboards and the trackpoint, and I'd like to keep it as small as possible. So I am thinking of a used x-something. These come with Intel-grafics, so the question really is which generation do I need? I don't really have a clue, never even touched those. Any input appreciated. TIA.

For reference, I can run Civ4 with FfH on medium settings just fine on a T61 with a 2GHz C2D, 2GB RAM and a 128MB ATI X1300. If you really want to go all out, you might want to have a Intel Core i-something CPU, 4GB and a faster video card. Stay away from Intel integrated graphics ;)

Your best bet might be one of the 13" "Edge" Thinkpads. Those are not quite as sturdy as the T or light as the X series models, but come close enough, considered their quite reasonable pricing. If you choose something like this, you will even be able to play Civ5 or Skyrim on it if you decide to give in to the dark side one day :borg:

No, sorry, but Edge is a no-go. The keyboard doesn't appeal to me and they are too heavy. I'm rather set on the x-series, it suits all my non-gaming needs (and it is very well documented, if I don't ike the display I know where to get replacements, if it turns out I suddenly need 3g I can add it later no problem and so on). But, and I know that's a rather big but, this means integrated grafics are inevitable. So the question still is: Which generation of said beast will I need to be sure not to run into any trouble with civ4 whatsoever? Imagine the biggest possible map, game modded to the max and so on. Cpu-wise any of the following should be enough: x61, x200, x201, x220? It really just depends on the grafics for which one I will go. I don't mind spending a bit more, if I have to, but I don't want to waste money, that might just as well serve a cause instead of being spend on not needed processing power.

And nah, I won't give in to steam's plan for world domination by sacrificing the souls of little gamers, never. Where I live I have a consitutional right of informational self-determination (well, rough translation, seems like the english language doesn't even have a word for it) and I won't give that away for a game. Maybe someday I buy Civ5 anyway, but only for the pleasure of going to court about it. It says "one-time online activation" on the sleeve, doesn't it? (insert evil laughter here.) Also there is the issue of not being able to sell a used game, so that already makes two points in which laws here are rather different. Really, it is tempting.

But, and I know that's a rather big but, this means integrated grafics are inevitable. So the question still is: Which generation of said beast will I need to be sure not to run into any trouble with civ4 whatsoever?
As said above, using any Intel IGP that predates the Core-i-something CPUs for gaming of any sort is just asking for trouble. The hardware and drivers are just atrocious. With the latest generation(s) at least the hardware is on par with entry-level dedicated solutions, and the drivers appear to have improved a bit, too.
This means probably looking for X201s and 220s.

As a bonus, CPU absolute performance as well as energy efficiency have also improved markedly with those new models. You should stay away from (U)LV CPUs with ~1GHz, though.

Where I live I have a consitutional right of informational self-determination (well, rough translation, seems like the english language doesn't even have a word for it) and I won't give that away for a game.
Sounds suspiciously like "Recht auf informationelle Selbstbestimmung" :D
In that case you might want to have a look at this.

X201(s) it is then. Thanks all for your input.

And that suspicion is well justified... ;) But I'll probably go for something refurbished and save some €.

Where do you get your demo/refurb machines? I used to look for those at Magic Devices, but their supply seemed to have dried up a bit recently.

Usually one of the following will have the right rig: nbwn.de, lapstore.de, thinkspot.de

More savings if you don't mind keyboard layouts. After all these years, who needs to look anymore? I'd like something really exotic, just for the giggles...

Thanks, really great stuff to find there :)

You already mentioned you wouldn't mind to spend a bit more for a better experience, so you might want to consider to go for a model with a SSD. There are a few in the 700-800,- range, and if you do anything besides gaming on your laptop, it's really worth it ;)

You're welcome. :)

Actually I do everything more than gaming, all I want is a satisfying Civ4-experience during waiting times and when on the train in that regard. SSD is tempting, no, better make that two (maybe possible, mSATA and an 1,8"), as is UMTS, an IPS-Panel and some extra battery. Err... and an i7-xxxx... and can I have that wrapped in snake leather, pretty please? Argh... consumerism. Older, but wiser? It never stops.

I think I'll better start small. It's not so complicated to replace hdd with ssd. But I will make sure, that I get one, that is at least UMTS-ready, so I just need to add a mPCI and SIM card later on, if the need arises. Should last me a few years, I think.

And sooner or later I will add this and that... I even heard of a highly dangerous (read tempting) possibility to attach desktop PCI-E cards via some adapter. Needs a bit of soldering maybe and a proper case, as it will also need an external ATX-PSU and you probably shouldn't touch anything on a gfx-card that power hungry, but hey... CPU is strong enough, even with just PCI-Ex2 any desktop grafic will just laugh in the face of an alienware laptop. Thinkpad ftw! (Might as well buy something already broken, but where's the fun in that? Err... sorry, it is really late here... ;) )

Top Bottom