Help needed - Mod doesn't work after new patch - SOLVED

IgorS

Your ad could be here!
Hi, so... I guess the headline says it all. The mod I made does not work with the new patch, and I have got no idea why.
Mod attached.

Attachments

• Alternate City Lists + DLC.zip
    23.9 KB · Views: 30
I updated to the new patch (Fall'17) this afternoon and your linked mod for the "vanilla" civs is working just fine. If you are getting shoved back to main menu it might be an action LoadOrder issue where your mod is loading before the DLC civ(s) is(are) loaded into the database.

I updated to the new patch (Fall'17) this afternoon and your linked mod for the "vanilla" civs is working just fine. If you are getting shoved back to main menu it might be an action LoadOrder issue where your mod is loading before the DLC civ(s) is(are) loaded into the database.
I suspected this could be the problem. For me, the DLC mods seem to work, but the vanilla one does not. What do I do to fix the loading order? I made every DLC mod depend on its DLC, except for Nubia, that did not give me the option to do so.
Obviously, I will want to make a mod for the new Khmer and Indonesia DLC, so it would be nice to know what to do. I noticed, for instance, that after the Nubia patch was installed, the Australia mod stopped functioning (at least the part that changes the leader's name).

Nubia DLC's mod ID # is 643EA320-8E1A-4CF1-A01C-00D88DDD131A

Dependancies were actually at least partly broken by the Summer `17 patch. They no longer create an inherent loading order but merely require that the mod or dlc listed as a dependancy also be availalbe and enabled.

Simplest way to force your mod to load after the DLC load is as JFD is doing here in his Nubia Civs Pack:
Code:
    <UpdateDatabase id="JFD_Nubia_Database">
      <Properties>
        <LoadOrder>10</LoadOrder>
      </Properties>
      <File>Core/Amanishakheto/NubiaAmanishakheto_GameDefines.sql</File>
      <File>Core/Taharqa/NubiaTaharqa_GameDefines.sql</File>
      <File>Core/Amanishakheto/NubiaAmanishakheto_ModSupport.sql</File>
      <File>Core/Taharqa/NubiaTaharqa_ModSupport.sql</File>
      <File>Core/Piye/NubiaPiye_GameDefines.sql</File>
      <File>Core/Piye/NubiaPiye_ModSupport.sql</File>
    </UpdateDatabase>
It is the <Properties> <LoadOrder> setting that you are interested in.

Dependancies were actually at least partly broken by the Summer `17 patch. They no longer create an inherent loading order but merely require that the mod or dlc listed as a dependancy also be availalbe and enabled.

Simplest way to force your mod to load after the DLC load is as JFD is doing here in his Nubia Civs Pack:
Code:
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
    </UpdateDatabase>
Thanks. I'll try and figure that out. If I don't, I'll come back.

Code:
      <Properties>
      </Properties>
    </UpdateDatabase>
OK, thanks. I don't really know what I did, but I got it to work. Thanks for the Nubia pack code, I didn't know you could just type it in like that. And it seems like clearing the solution and rebuilding it is the thing that did the trick. The question is: will it always be like this that I need to rebuild my mods? Why do they just stop working? Anyway, the solution seems to be simple - rebuild it.

IIRC load order may still be affected by the files date property, so rebuilding a solution may seems to "work" as it change the load order by changing the date (your mod is now "newer" than the DLC), but better be safe and set a fixed load order using the method posted by LeeS.

You would have had nasty surprises on reloading a saved game with some previous version of the game for example (and this may still be the case)

IIRC load order may still be affected by the files date property, so rebuilding a solution may seems to "work" as it change the load order by changing the date (your mod is now "newer" than the DLC), but better be safe and set a fixed load order using the method posted by LeeS.

You would have had nasty surprises on reloading a saved game with some previous version of the game for example (and this may still be the case)
As I said, I set all the DLC mods to depend on the relevant DLC. I still cannot understand how this order thing works, and what should be loaded before what in order for everything to work. Is there somewhere a tutorial explaining all this?

We don't know either: the changes in the load order are not documented with patch notes.

But for the database changes, its important that a mod depending on another (or a DLC) is loaded after the dependency. At one point setting dependencies was enough, since the summer patch it's not the case anymore.

So setting a custom load order (using 10 is enough to load after the DLC) save you a lot of trouble by ensuring that your mods/DLC are always loaded in the same order whatever their dependencies, date of creation and the context (starting a new game vs loading a saved game doesn't result in the same load order if you've not set it yourself for example)

We don't know either: the changes in the load order are not documented with patch notes.

But for the database changes, its important that a mod depending on another (or a DLC) is loaded after the dependency. At one point setting dependencies was enough, since the summer patch it's not the case anymore.

So setting a custom load order (using 10 is enough to load after the DLC) save you a lot of trouble by ensuring that your mods/DLC are always loaded in the same order whatever their dependencies, date of creation and the context (starting a new game vs loading a saved game doesn't result in the same load order if you've not set it yourself for example)
OK, got into another problem with the new DLC. For some reason I cannot set the mod I made for the new DLC to depend on it. I inserted the new DLC's id manually (as it does not appear in the drop-down menu of ModBuddy), but the game treats it as though it cannot work with the DLC and will not enable it.

Top Bottom