Help on Sid Game

brennan said:
You don't need artillery to beat Infantry. If your defences are good enough, declare on someone. Play defensive war and concentrate on using Treb stacks to redline attackers, then destroy. You want to get Elites, then Armies. Armies are the key. If you can get them.

I like to use defensive thinning of the herd on Sid, but I do not use bombardment units. Preferably defensive armies are the way to go, backed with a barracks for full healing.

Like was mentioned, the attackers will be in large numbers, very large. Once the AI runs out of room to expand, it will have little else to do, but make troops.

This is because their cost is so low that any structures can be tossed up in a hurry. They build units until they are maxed on their support and income and a min amount of research.

Anyway what I wanted to submit is that the player has a finite amount of production and support. It is best to have units defending than say a treb or a cat.

When those attackers come that one HP off of the first x attackers, is not enough to save the day, unless you have enough defenders.

If you manage to have 10-15 (lets call them trebs for convenience), once the defenders are down in HP, you are going to wish you had 15 more defenders instead.

Trebs cannot defend and I have seen armies lost for being put up with 1 or 2 HP's left. If you have say 5 more muskets or pikes or whatever was appropriate for the time, the army is saved.

I admit this is more functional in archi and contients, where you are invading and face the limitations of shipping. If you can muster so many trebs to make a big deference, you did not have any concerns in the first place.

The thing is that only works, because you gave the AI only one target. In this game they have many targets and you have no means to force them into one battle zone. This is another problem with pangea maps on sid.

It also required that you only have one civs arms to deal with. That may not be the case in a pangea map. It may start out that way, but it is so much easier for the AI to get friends to jump in than it is for you. Even current enemies can be switched when you can bribe them with tech/cash/resources.
Things the human will have in very limited quanities.

20k? That is rare... Maybe on Sid, but still, isn't 100k more common for the AI?
Are you going to capture any German city or is this just a phoney war?

Please, post screenies!

It's just a phony war to improve relations with Dutch (with the alliance) and kill the Germans off whom I bet are buying techs from the Dutch, funding their research. Nothing exiting is happening, just building infrastructure. But don't worry, I'll have screenshots soon. A question that hopefully will stir debate up: How should I steal? Imediatly, carefully, or safely? Imediatly would cut the time in half it takes to get ready for war, but it will fail often, and would maybe start wars. Maybe carefully would be best. Does anyone know the probability of failing/succeding on each level of carefullness?

Edit: By the way, I have saved it as something different starting from this Help thread, but I won't start over and try again until it says "We have suffered a humiliating loss." If I happen to win my second try, it won't count towards my goal, just a learning experiance.

Here are the probabilities.
Did you check for any trades between Dutch and Germany? If there were some, it's just great. :)

There weren't any, but I think Dutch rep is trashed already. That means that if the Dutch get the UN, they won't hold an election. With the Dutch powress, I'll bet my money on them getting it, which means one less VC they can get [party] . Thx for the probabilities, but ouch, those are tough. I may consider fascism just for the vet spies :lol: . Just kidding, that would be idiotic.

You should consider capturing the UN, as the AI vote by attitude, not rep. All you have to do is RoP-rape the Dutch (not very honorable, but it's a Sid game after all) and take the UN city 10 after they build it. It'll be defended by some Mechs, but your whole army of Cavalry should deal with it. Holding it in the interturn won't be hard, because you should have all of your army there, hold the vote and win. Sound so easy :)

I'm not sure how well it works, I've never captured UN in my life :D

The more and more I looked at the game, the more and more impossible it seemed. But, the more and more I play it (3 turns so far) the less impossible it seems. I'm making money at a decent rate, am agri with lots of small cities, which are bound to grow, giving me more cash. I think this game could definately be pulled off, even so much to say by me. I've got a warm, confident glow inside, I know I can do it, and will try my best. Look forward to more updates, they'll be coming.

Pentium said:
All you have to do is RoP-rape the Dutch (not very honorable, but it's a Sid game after all)

I'm with you on this one. If RoP was "cheating" or was "a hole in the game design" the game designers would have made it impossible to declare war with an RoP. Even if my rep is ruined and I still have bad attiudes, if it's only me, the Dutch, and the English, I can sign an MA with the English vs. The Dutch, and I'll win (assuming the Dutch would be the second candidate cause they're bigger. But, all 3 of us might be candidates.

It would take a civ making the bulk of wonders in that one city and that is very unusal at any level. The big ones will have wonders going in several cities at times and the cascades make it hard for one to get all of them.

How late is the date in the game? AA wonders are the going to make a large culture impact as they are around the longest. The one wonder that will make a boost is the one that give free temples, but it does little for a one city 20k.

There are so many wonders in the AA that even the human can sneak in and get one or two if they are dedicated to it.

Own said:
I've got a warm, confident glow inside, I know I can do it.
That's the key. Whenever I get that feeling, I call it "healthy, blossoming empire", I get the spirit and then win. Optimistic music helps a lot here, I know a RHCP song that always gives me that nice feeling.

Just hope that English won't be candidates. But even if they are, you still have Portugal and Russia (The Dutch will probably kill Germans). So you win with 3 votes out of 5.

Doc Tsiolkovski said:
Did you raze any cities of Civs still around? In that case, forget the UN - those Civs won't ever vote for you.

I razed every city, never captured a single one. But even if it is a different civ, and they are at war with the other candidate, won't they vote for me? I'm well aware that I'm not going to win diplo off of a good rep.

WOW this thread is fast. It was a tripple cross-post. :)

The must be at least Polite (or Cautious, not sure) to vote for you. Sing RoP's, MPP's and MA's (sign them all, and pay them well) and they'll feel better about you. Perhaps gifting some gold or the WM to Portugal (AFAIK you razed their cities) every turn will help too.

That really pumped me up, but Spain was almost done with banking, so I couldn't trade it at all. But I got banks, so I have more money now. My current net gain is 140 gpt. This will greatly increase due to growth and infrastructure.

One optimizing thought is that SS victory might not happen for the AI. They might not have the right resources. This game is looking easier and easier.

They probably have the resources, mobilization is your hope. But you should get techs as quickly as possible, you still need 2 ages (=half of the game).

Are you playing atm?

Top Bottom