HELP! Upgrade Units - How???

GamerDad

Chieftain
I cannot figure out how to upgrade a unit. I have Warriors and Archers that need to be upgraded but can't find a menu to do so. Please help!

Click on the unit, one of the "action buttons" is an upgrade.
If you don't have the necessary Gold or resource, it won't work.
Sorry, I'm at work and can't give you a screenshot.

You have to upgrade them one by one (afaik) by clicking on the upgrade icon (to the bottom-left of the screen) which is among the other icons which appear there when you select a unit.

The icon will be ghosted out if you don't have enough money, or (I think) if you don't have the requisite strategic resources. The icon doesn't appear at all if you don't have the pre-requisite technology.

Also the unit that you're upgrading must be inside your territory.

Also the unit that you're upgrading must be inside your territory.

Sometimes true...
You can also upgrade your units in any friendly Civs (aka Open Borders) or any City States that you are friendly or above in..

it would be neat if a unit would upgrade if it kills the unit it upgrades to, given you have the tech required, but just havn't spent the money to upgrade him yet.

it would be neat if a unit would upgrade if it kills the unit it upgrades to, given you have the tech required, but just havn't spent the money to upgrade him yet.

Complicated, and it would get really annoying.
Oh crap, my infantry is down to 3 health i hope the carpet of doom filled with spear men and archers don't kill it and get an upgrade.

Also, you keep in mind that warriors can only upgrade to swordsmen, not spearmen. So you must have iron working researched in order to even see the upgrade button on your warriors. This threw me off when I was first playing.

You can upgrade on "Friendly" territory as already stated. Just remember that you can also upgrade on CS territory only if you're ALLIED with them.

You can upgrade on "Friendly" territory as already stated. Just remember that you can also upgrade on CS territory only if you're ALLIED with them.

I pretty sure you can do it when your friends with them too... Anyone can verify this?

Also, you keep in mind that warriors can only upgrade to swordsmen, not spearmen. So you must have iron working researched in order to even see the upgrade button on your warriors. This threw me off when I was first playing.

Warriors can be upgraded up to infantry, catapults can be upgraded up to rocket artillery, but calvary isn't upgradeable to tanks and such, right? I haven't quite memorized the upgrade paths yet.

Warriors can be upgraded up to infantry, catapults can be upgraded up to rocket artillery, but calvary isn't upgradeable to tanks and such, right? I haven't quite memorized the upgrade paths yet.

Here what i remember off the top of my head.

Warriors to Swordsmen, Longswords, Riflemen, Infantry, Mech Infantry.

Archers, CrossBowman, Riflemen, Infantry, Mech Infantry

Horsemen, Knights, Calvary

Catapults, Trebs, Artillery , Rocket Artillery.

Tanks to Modern Armor.

Gallery, Frigates, Destroyers

Calvary and Lancers are the end of the horse track and cannot be upgraded.

Calvary and Lancers are the end of the horse track and cannot be upgraded.
Yeah, that's a little annoying as I used to like upgrading my cavalry to helicopter gunships :sad: .

Yeah, that's a little annoying as I used to like upgrading my cavalry to helicopter gunships :sad: .

I'm kinda glad that they don't upgrade, it kinda sticks it to those who decided to horsemen rush.

Top Bottom