Help! What to do in this situation?

Sirp

Emperor
Ok, I've gotten myself into a sticky position in a game I'm playing, and I'd really like to solicit discussion/debate on what the best course of action is to take.

I'm the Americans in a world map game, and even though I'm definitely the world superpower, I'm still in a slightly sticky situation. I've played up to modern times, and about 20 turns ago, the Persians suddenly became furious with me. They ended up going to war with the Babylonians, their bitter enemies since ancient times - in fact they had razed the Babylonian capital of Babylon in a war long ago. Wanting to keep the Persians away from the Arabs - who were on the other side of the Babylonians from the Persians - because the Arabs were selling me oil, I decided to sell some resources and warlike technologies to the Babylonians so that they could hold off the Persians.

The war seemed to end in a stalemate, with the Babylonians perhaps having a slight upperhand, just like I wanted. After 8 turns of war they stopped fighting, and both civs seemed to be low on cash.

I thought that I was going to be able to cruise along peacefully, with my nice secure source of oil from the Arabs, with me being their friends. But no, the Babylonians suddenly decided to attack the Arabs. I guess they probably made a demand from them since the Babylonians seem to need cash after their economy was ravaged by the war.

The Babylonians quickly ran over a couple of Arab cities - with the tanks that my resources and techs that my trading with them allowed them to build, no less! - but then slowed down after that. They had already siezed a source of oil off the Arabs, and I was afraid they were going to get more, so I used my RoP with the Arabs to quickly move substantial forces into the region, holding them off from attacking the Arabs.

After that I made an alliance with most of the other nations in the world, including my good friends the English, French, and Germans against the Babylonians. We attacked with jet fighters and cruise missiles and very quickly took back the cities that had been taken from the Arabs. I wasn't sure whether to continue prosecuting a war against them.

I considered it a little, and decided I would just regift the taken cities back to the Arabs, and then make peace with the Babylonians. I kept a military presence in the region using my RoP with the Arabs, so that if the Babylonians tried the same thing again, I could stop them more effectively.

But now, about 10 turns later, I'm not sure I made the right choice. I'm getting attacked by these units with hidden identity (I play with a mod that uses some land units with hidden identity as well as privateers), and I think they might be coming from the Babylonians. Also, I think the Babylonians are getting close to discovering fission, which would of course, let them build nuclear weapons.

I'm also having trouble with the Koreans, who DO have fission, although I'm not sure if they've constructed any actual nukes yet. They are certainly not going to get ICBMs anytime soon, but they could easily target tactical nukes at some colonies I got south of Korea in an earlier war, or at nearby Japan who are my good friends.

Anyhow, I really don't trust Babylon at all, and I'd hate to see them get nuclear weapons, and I think they're the ones sending these hidden-nationality attackers against me. So, I decided to attack them and try to wipe them out. I decided I'd take their cities and then either gift them to the Arabs - especially since a high proportion of the population in some of the cities are Arabs, and they might flip to them anyway - or keep them myself.

I worried about Persia then getting too strong and being able to attack the Arabs or other civilizations in the region, but I'm more scared of the Babylonians at this stage so I'll take them out and then think about Persia.

So I landed some more troops on Arab territory, preparing to attack the Babylonians again. This time I would wipe them out. I went to meet my allies to see if they'd come and support me. My good friends the English would, but France and Germany wouldn't, and became 'annoyed' with me!

In fact, no-one else would ally with me against the Arabs other than the English. I had managed to build the UN in New York, and was thinking of holding the election when the vote came up, but with these attitudes I realized I had no hope of winning, so I decided not to take the UN vote.

I started getting impatient to attack the Babylonians - forces were arriving by ship and being airlifted to an airfield I had built in the area, but things were moving along slowly! I consulted my military advisor, and he told me that my forces were strong compared to those of Babylon. My science advisor told me that my forces are advanced! So, I decided I would go in with a smaller force. If I didn't have to move in so much military, then I would be able to do the same kind of thing later against my two other main enemies: the Persians and the Koreans, while moving in such a big force was just too slow and costly.

I had a force to the south of Babylonia, and a force at sea to the west. I would have to go through Arabia to come from the south, which was no problem since I had a RoP with them, and I'd have to go past the Ottomans to get there from the west, I assumed it'd be pretty easy to get a RoP with the Ottomans. I got into talks with them, but for all I was willing to offer this turn, they were only "close to making a deal here". I decided that with some more luxuries I was securing elsewhere in the world, I could probably renegotiate in a couple of turns and get the deal.

So, war was declared. I started launching cruise missiles and bombing the Babylonian cities immediately. Then I moved in my force of Modern Armors, Mechanized Infantry, and Marines in from the south.

I tried to get the RoP deal with the Ottomans going, but they just wouldn't get past "close to a deal here" unless I gave them some serious techs which I just wasn't going to do! Bah.

I had some paratroopers which I managed to land on the north side of the Babylonians, while the rest of the force had to move around to try to get in from the south.

I continued to attack with cruise missiles and bombers, and then slowly marched my combined ground force into their territory. They put up more resistance than I thought though. People really are right when they say that older obsolete units can fight so unrealistically well against modern units. It's silly!

I think the Babylonians even pillaged the road onto the oil so I couldn't use
itimmediately! Gee the levels they'll stoop to. They were also willing to
disband workers rather than having me able to capture them.

Here's the screenshot of the situation:

Notice how the Babylonian capital is now the former-Arab city of Baghdad after many ancient wars between the Persians, Babylonians, and Arabs!

Meanwhile, war weariness really kicks in, and some of my cities go into civil disorder. I just click "who cares? Let them riot!" for a few turns, because I'm too busy managing the war to worry about them.

Anyhow, what I want to know, is what should I do next? I like to play an honorable style of play, and I'm really not sure if I'm being honorable, especially since my actions are causing the Babylonians to disband (which I think is a Civ euphemism for 'kill') some civilians, and my bombing is killing civilians in some Babylonian cities.

Also, the Babylonians are a Despotism (even though that's supposely their 'loathed' form of government!), while I'm a nice honorable Democracy. The Koreans are in Communism. Both of them seem to rush build things regularly by wiping out population!

I also want to know from a strategic point of view what I should do next. My head tells me that Korea is a far worse threat than Babylon, but I really don't like Hammurabi for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it! I'd like to see an interesting and thorough debate as to what I should do next from this situation!

Just to clarify, I am NOT sure if the 'hidden nationality' units are actually coming from the Babylonians. Do people think I should wait until I'm sure they're responsible before attacking them? What if I wipe them out and more still come? Maybe I should try to wipe out the Persians and/or Koreans after that?

-Sirp.

tsk tsk tsk ... very funny, Sirp. :)

Renata

Good Stuff Sirp, Really liked it! Affraid it will be moved though :(

You sure you didn't just make this up? Sounds too much like modern Iraq if you ask me. Anyway, in your screenshot, Basra is the capital, not Baghdad. And it's 2003 AD...:hmm: I say, NUKE THE PLANET!:nuke:

Good Stuff Sirp, Really liked it! Affraid it will be moved though

Moved? Huh? I'm asking for advice on what strategies to use next in this game I'm playing. I guess maybe it should go in the 'Strategies & Tips' forum??

Anyway, in your screenshot, Basra is the capital, not Baghdad.

Oh yeah Basra is the capital. Sorry my mistake there!

And it's 2003 AD...

Yup, only 47 more turns til the end of the game and we go to the Histogram, and I'm not sure who'll win if that happens! It's probably out of me, Russia, and China!

What to do, what to do...

-Sirp.

Well it's easy nuke Russia and China, decimate them as much as possible and you will win the game. Hope you have a decent nuke-arsenal ready. I have one by this time around ok but my games are looking very different in this timeframe. Lot's of radioactive fallout :nuke: Well this way you could win very quickly or be destroyed. Hmm I love to take risks. No risk no gain.

I'm getting a vision of the future here... I see...

the Humour & Jokes forum :mischief:

Very amusingly done btw, Sirp :goodjob:

Yes, this is where most help questions go for strategies/tips. Into the Strategies & Tips forum.

Seems like my second sight may require contact lenses :crazyeye:

Sirp, I think I know the world map you're playing on. Try connecting the oil in the North American tundra, it will let you avoid all these problems.

Yeah, it was a toss up between Humor and Jokes and Strats & Tips. Heads won, so it came here. (maybe the humor was over my head...)

Why not try some propaganda against the Babs? You will want some of your own 'hidden nationality' units to soften them up first though. Their territory should just about assure you a histograph win, no? Also, don't they have some Oil you could use?

Don't worry too much about Korea, China will take care of its own backyard. If you want to win the prize keep your eyes on China. Hard to believe that Russia is still a player in your game, in my shadow they were already past their peak by this time in the game.

Hope that helped ;)

:hmm: I was always wondering about the pentagone's advisors in the background...
So they take a look at certain scenarios by simulating this way... :eek:

Great parody.... :goodjob:
Now. If you truly are an honorable conquerer, you must send all your troops home, and let them settle their own differences. If they need help, surely they will ask you for an alliance against the evil ..... ??? >>.
Then disband all your units that use oil, unless you find enough oil in your own territory, and built cavalry, riflemen and spaceships.

What level are you playing this game on?
What about barbarians, geography settings?
Can the AI respawn?

Not knowing all the specifics of your game setup, here is a response from CIV3 perspective (mostly ;) ):

The despot Babylonians are probably a lot weaker than you think. Plant some spies to confirm this.

Once you conquer the Babylonians, give the cities to English so they will no longer distract you from winning the game. They are too far away and don't have enough modern improvements to be of much use anyway.

Then I would check with my military advisor. For many of these countries he will probably say: "Compared to them, we have a strong military!" At that point I would start looking for a civ thats closer to your capital (which I assume is halfway around the world from Baghdad at this point), and start attacking them. If any of them have a presence on your continent, go after them first. After that look for weak civs overseas. I am sure France is probably closer, and could easily be conquered (perhaps they are going for cultural victory :eek: ).

Eventually you will also have to conquer Russians, Persians, Arabs, Germans, Koreans and Ottomans. Before starting these wars, secure all sources of uranium so no one can nuke you. During these wars, the English will probably help you with any war you start, and you can share some of the victory with them. You probably spent a lot of shields and gold to produce and support your army, so why not use it?

Let the Chinese live so they will be the other candidate for UN Secretary General. So at the end Americans, England and Chinese are left, and you call the UN vote. Who would England vote for?

TO THE MODS= I think a post this well thought out and designed deserves a place - or a link- on the front page of the site. I think if you ask Thunderfall he'd probably agree... I can remember him posting an article about how Civ III reminded a commentator about real life. Way to go Sirp! ;)

Put it in the stories and tales section.. we don't want to lose this one.

Sirp,

I think it was a major blunder to go after the Babalonians before they attacked you. This just upsets all of the other Civs, even the English, although, the English will probably stay polite as long as you keep trading with them. Without knowing who was sending the troops with hidden identity, you can't just start bombing the Babs. It could have just as easily been the Arabs, or the Persians, hey, I wouldn't even rule out the French or the Germans.

Gothmog suggests that you should have used propaganda on the Babs first. I have tried that several times, and found that I spend a lot of gold, and rarely get any results. You probably should have tried a botched espinage mission to goad them into attacking. I have had that work for me, on occassion. I do agree with Gothmog, that the Chinese will probably take care of the Koreans, so don't spend too much time worrying there.

I've tried seeding other civs when they are attacked by my stronger enemies, but that rarely works either. The AI seems to make peace with each other pretty quickly. Next thing, they're buddies, and they usually come after me, using the technology that I gave them.

I usually like to play my own game, building culture, and sit back while the other civs battle it out. Of course, if my defenses are not very strong, they like to gang up on me. That's why I always try to build a bunch of artillery until I can get MA's.

You didn't say what kind of victory your were after. If you are going for a UN victory, then, like I said, you probably screwed the pooch with this move. You might be able to buy the other civs, just before the next UN vote comes up, but you probably have most of the other civs "anoyed" and it will take a lot of gold and techs.

If you are going for conquest, then, don't worry, you are looking real strong, and you probably made the right decision. Taking out the Babs will probably make the Persians think twice about coming after you. Since you are in Democracy, you probably should go at them with everything, and end the battle as soon as possible. You don't want to hurt your production too much in case the Persians and Arabs gang up on you.

Interesting scenario, good luck.

Top Bottom