Help with latin? Quote

MrPaladin

Warlord
I saw other people quoting a few latin verses, so I was hoping someone could help with the correct spelling of a quote I vaguly remember from my history classes...

I believe the quote was WW2 propoganda...

Dulce Et Decurm Est, Pro Patria Mori...

it is ment to mean...
"There is Glory And Honor in Dying for your Country"

But I know my memory sucks, I'm kinda surprised how this quote even mannaged to stay lodged in the recesses of my brain... any help would be great...

Pretty much:
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Translates as 'It is sweet and proper to die for the fatherland'
Although my Latin is more than a bit shaky, that's the translation. Obviously you'd want to change it to a better-sounding English phrase rather than use the direct translation.

It's not WW2 propaganda, it's a fine sentiment. I think it's written on the graves of many of the WW2 soldiers. Not everyone agrees with it, but it's certainly not solely government tripe.

I believe that it's 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori', so you were pretty much there. :)

It can be translated roughly in a variety of similar ways:

It is sweet and noble to die for ones country;

It is sweet and appropriate to die for your country; or

It is sweet and fitting to die for the fatherland.

So take your pick for which one you prefer.

It was used by the British throughout the 19th century, but it comes from a poem by Horace (I think). :D

Sweet and fitting it is to die for the father-/mother-/homeland/nation etc. It wasn't WW2 propaganda, but part of a WWI poem by Wilfred Owen which lampooned the assumption that war was a virtuous and heroic activity.

I believe the phrase orginally comes from the Roman poet Horace.

Well thats where my mind must be mixed up....

I know I learnt the phraze in history and it was around the time we were doing WW2, so the teacher must have slipped it in, but not paying much attention I missed the finer points of where the quote came from....

thanks all, I might add it as a Sig...

snap... yer my bad....
I've been so into these posts I didn't realise there were other sections...

Moderator Action: Thread moved to OT.

MrPaladin said:
snap... yer my bad....
I've been so into these posts I didn't realise there were other sections...
Welcome to OT; I hope you join the fun. :)

Somebody told me this one (it's REALLY bad Latin, and makes no sense if you use proper pronunciation, but it's funny to read):

"Veni, vidi, VISA": "I came, I saw, I shopped." (or you could use "bought" in place of "shopped")

Valka D'Ur said:
Somebody told me this one (it's REALLY bad Latin, and makes no sense if you use proper pronunciation, but it's funny to read):

"Veni, vidi, VISA": "I came, I saw, I shopped." (or you could use "bought" in place of "shopped")

A Roman general landed in Asia and arrogantly reported back:

Veni, vidi, vici

I came, I saw, I conquered.

When the touristy ladies say:

Veni, vidi, VISA

they are simply laughing at us men.

The Latin "Dona Nobis Pacem" in my is trans"Bring Us Peace"

Please do by the way.

Top Bottom