Help

Looked at the 760 AD Cleo game. VMXA has covered a lot of good detail, so I'm just going to reiterate the high level concepts you should be aware of:
1) 1 worker per city, do not automate, irrigate plains and mine grasslands
2) Put the cities a little closer together
3) Don't waste your shields on wonders. Maybe 1 or two key wonders. With the rest build things you can use. The AI can build the wonders for you.
4) Explore so you can meet the AI. By 760 AD you should have a good idea of the map.
5) When you make war, get alliances. It will cut down the amount of units you have to take on.

I spend in wonders becouse, if i continua spending in military the upkeep killme and the same for buildings

If you are managing the empire well and can make wonders, then that is fine. In fact it is great. The problem is when you are not able to manage the empire to that point and have invested a lot of time and shields in wonders.

You may do better to make more workers to get enough to improve all the tiles that are being worked at a given point. Once you are able to keep tiles fully improved in a timely manner, then you can handle either wonders or expansion.

By timely I mean that I as a town grows and adds a citizen that citizen has a tile that has a road and either a mine or irrigation (if not coastal) to work. It also means that you are getting roads to all towns as soon as they are built.

It means that long before Steam you have been working on getting roads to all tiles and are gearing up to gather workers as the point when you have Steam. This is a goal and you may fall short.

I do not remember any posters playing Regent or less posting about having problems in the mid game, that did not have a large number of tiles with no roads being worked. Most were very short on workers.

This cost them gold and makes paying for your army hard. Then you can look at upgrades or flat replacing obsolete units with the shields you did not spend on something like Sistines.

Then finally organizing your troops so they can fight and defend. I often see the same posters with significant armies, but they let them sit around and not use them to expand, when the time comes.

Do you have the option 'culturally linked start locations' turned on? it sounds like you're always running into the same civs, and I think its a bug. Try turning this option off for a little variety.

Feudalism is good only in very specific circumstances, like if you want a 100k cultural victory or you have very little food; you are correct to assume its mostly useless.

The favourite and shunned governments doesn't affect the AI's choice of governments very much as far as I know. It matters in diplomacy, if you are in the AI's shunned gov they won't like you, and if you are in their favored government they will like you [I think that's how it works].
I play a full game with feudalism.It rocks becouse i have mostly towns and the upkeep was so strong...

Feudalism smacks, not rocks. I have yet to encounter a game where I could have done better in Feud. That is not to say there are none, only they are not common for most games.

The better idea to to get those towns up to cities. Get more towns and cities and get roads up to pay for your support.

If you were to read every post, you will find few using feud and those tend to fall into two groups. Those that just wanted to try it and those that were trying for a specfic victory condition, that Feud could be used well.

Be assured there are good reason for that lack of usage.

It is the save of my last game, i an in middle of a coldwar with the ottomans,using iroqueses with a communist goverment

Attachments

• Irouques.SAV
    2 MB · Views: 45
I did not have much time to look at this one, so it is going to be skipping much.

First we can agree you are in better shape than the other games. However the first town I pulled up is indicative of the things I like to preach against. Akwesosene (sp) is size 5, but has these nearly useless to it structures:
Bank (yeah you get free maint, not built for free)
Cath (this is Regent you start with 4 content pop and have 4 lux)
University ( you still only get 8 beakers here at 70%, not a good value)
Colosseum ( never built these is a good place to start,we will ignore the exceptions)
It has no unworked land tiles, hence no more shields coming, but is making a factory. Why do you want the pollution and maint?

Defenders or useless units 70
Workers 22 (45 towns after steam a crime)
cannon 8
gueriila 1
crusaders 7
galleons 7, that is plenty you only have two small nations and the Ottoman.
frigates 12 (not my style to have all these 4-6 is enough) Not going to have a naval war.

Privateer (why)

Many of the units are regulars. did you read my tutorial? I am sure I emphatically said not to make them after the first few warriors. If you do not have a barracks and do not have crying need for a unit, build only in towns with a rax.

Why research Nationalism, go straight for RP instead, if you want defenders.
Why Espionage, it is not a cold war game. You do not need to waste beakers on that tech in a Regent game.

Why Communism, you are not going to have an empire that needs it in a std map. You do not want to wait to switch to it and you do not want to research another optional tech. You sure do not want to switch a second time.

Being in communism is costing you 70 bpt as you sit. Had you gone to Rep, trimmed off the troops you do not need and gotten rails up. It is costing you more than 400gpt on income as you sit now.

I am pretty sure I mentioned more than once to not research optional techs, unless it is MT or some special requirement. They cost you getting to the better techs.

Rails will take forever as you have a mere 22 workers. Many of them are wasting their turns on mountains/hills far from the core. Most are in ones or two, so they cannot get a tile railed in one turn.

I know I have suggested getting workers gathered as you get near to Steam. This is so you can gang them and get tiles railed qucikly. Working to connect key points, not spurious mountain tiles.

Why Sistines, this is Regent do not make cath and then Sistines will be worthless. As it is it is only expensive. Why did you not get to Sci-meth rather than Commie, Nat?

Why no pre for ToE?
Why not go for Newtons, even JS Bach is better than Sistine.

Too many structures in too many towns that cannot make them pay. You could lower that 144 maint by a lot and not wasted those shields.

Do not make Guerilla, make cavs or infantry instead. No rifles, you have RP and rubber.

No army in 1840AD? Did you ever have one? No HE without an army. Pentagon and MA are all key, especially for cavs.

Sistine Chappel is becouse the germans are leading in culture, and i fear what if i left them build big wonders with culture, they can win, even with 3 cities...

My bad for workers...I conquer 2 civilizations and i was using their infraesctructure, i dont notice what i was to need more workers for steam...
And they was automate, becouse here was few work to do.

i loved armys, in my aztec game i had 2 armys and they allowme conquer 2 empires, and defeat 3 times to mayan.But in this game i have bad luck, no great leaders o scientific leaders,even when i had at leas 9 wars.

Newton and Bach, was becouse i dont care in wonders, and the germans build them before i can notice it, and like i was saying, i dont wanna they have sistine.

I going to check negative improvements, thanks for the advidce.

The guerrilla was autoproduce, i need micromanaging a more..

Spionage, is for the same what privates...I wanna know what have these turks!

In resume, i need focus more in micromanagin.

Thanks for all,If I win its because of you :)

I did not check the culture, but remember they not only have to get the 100k, they have to have double the next civ. Not so easy and with 3 towns, justt ake them out, if they are a danger to get the culture.

Science wonders in your best science town are a big boost. You do have to check to see, if they can get 20k in one town, but that should not be an issue.

Auto build, I presume you mean the town switched to it at some point. Use the preference options to stop that. I like "Always ask" and "Build last", at least I do not get any strange builds. Good luck.

and culture victory in just 1 city?
he had 6k in berlin and was increasing in a fast rate...
I take it now, and war the turk ,making they change her gov to facism and taking some lesser towns
from them
where is the option always ask?

It is the preference. You need 20k of culture in the same city, not real easy, even for high level AI's. At high levels some other nations get some of the wonders for the first 3 ages. If you get to the modern age, then you could get down to a run away nation.

Still they likely will run out of time. Most levels wonders are spread around between AI's and the human, so losing via 20k is not a major issue. At 6k, and going to Fascism, they are not going to do it, unless you sit on your holdings.

Look at two consectutive turns and measure the difference for that town and see how much they get per turn. They would need 280 turns at 50cpt. You were in the 1840AD range so that is around 385 turns already.

So they have about 155 turns and that needs 190 cpt, I doubt they are doing that well. Maybe not even for the whole empire.

I wanna play a pre made scenario, maybe some conquer vainilla or a downloaded from this web...some suggestions?

17 hours, mine are more like 40 and up to more than 300 for A 250X250.

Not sure what you mean by conquer vanilla. Does that mean win by conquest only? If so then you can do very well with France or China.

If you mean the scenarios that come with the game, I would skip them. Nearly all use AP and it ruins the game for solo play.

In the completed mods section of the ceation forum, look at the ones that have the designer still active. Some are even recent like CCM.

They tend to break down in two groups to me 1) start from scratch like CCM 2) start with the world more or less filled.

Some of them are set up to use a biq that will put you into a preset map size and level.

I further divide them into either full make over or not. The not is those that give you different units, but they are familiar, such as new swords, new knights, new tanks and planes. They may change some rules that impact you like no armies.

CCM is a big change and you have to pay close attention to the pedia. You cannot make settlers at the start, many units are autoproduced.

I cannot speak to what you would like as it is not even easy for me to choose for myself. Try a few and you can quit any time.

One of the values of active designers is that the install issue tend to be dealt with as many installs are tricky.

i mean the scenarios what start in civ III conquest folder when you install the exp.
what is ap?

Accelerated Production. It basically double the shields and production of towns. The idea was to let MP games go faster for online play. It was not intended for solo.

You are sure?
I am talking the Scenarios in conquest folder, just the Intro scenarios (tutorials) have Accelerated production on.The others dont say it.They are for single play

You are confusing with the scenarios in Scenario folder(what you see clicking in Civ content), what you can see when you choose civ content, these scenarios are for MP(example MP Rise of Rome).

I am talking about the ones in the Scenario folder. Those the one you get from Civ_Content. The Conquest are in the the Conquest folder. I never played them either. I mean I have loaded them all at some point, but did play them.

yes, for it say, the scenarios en Civ content are made for MP, the scenarios in conquest are made for solo and dont have AP

Top Bottom