Hero High 3

Jeremy’s Bizarre Adventure – Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars and Walk the Dinosaur

As Li Zhang San was about to learn, there is more to Hero High than making friends and hanging out at Denny’s – there is also the dreaded classes.

“I can’t find the room anywhereeeeeeeee!” Li said in a loud panic “I’m going to be laaaaaaaaaaaaaaate! But it should right here!!!” Li looked around, most of the other students looked as lost and confused as she did. Well, she thought that she should try asking people for directions anyway. No harm in trying! She thought she would start with the boy wearing oversized clothes who was currently feeling up the wall. Most of the other people in the corridor avoided the weird guy who had the tendency for shouting out random Japanese phrases in the middle of corridors and doing other weird things, but since Li was one of the few people who could match his level of weird it wasn’t much of a deterrent.

“Nǐ hǎo,” said Li “Do you have any idea where Defence Against the Mental Arts is held? I’m running late and I can’t find it anywhere!”

“You are in the right place,” said the student “But I am convinced that our teacher has used his stand to disguise the room. My stand can detect a psychic ability being used on everyone in this room, but I can’t detect what it is exactly. Hence why I am feeling up the wall.”

“But why would our professor do that?” Li asked “That means we’re all going to be laaaate! Also, what’s a stand? Isn’t that like, a chair or something? ‘Cause I just had one of those the other day, the swivel-ey kind!”

“The course is Defence Against the Mental Arts,” the student continued “He’s probably doing this to test our abilities to see through his dec-” The student stopped as he touched a part of the wall and then smiled. “Bingo.” The student walked back to the other side of the room.

“Stand back everyone!” said the student as he walked to the other side of the room. “I’m going to try something dangerous to get us into class!” The student then started screaming “ORA ORA ORA!” as he ran towards the wall. Li was concerned and thought she should probably do something, but he looked like he knew what he was doing and it was more fun to see how this played out anyway.

The student then let out one final “ORA!” and kicked the wall. Then he disappeared into the wall after a loud crash! The wall faded to reveal a broken door and the student picking himself off the floor. Li, being a good-natured person, was the first to rush into the classroom to see if he was alright.

“Yare yare daze,” said the student as he picked himself off the floor, striking a pose that Li thought was pretty cool. “Your stand, Veteran of a Thousand Psychic Wars, is very convincing. I was worried I was going to hit the wall right up until the moment I hit it.” Li realised that the student was talking to a brain in a jar placed in front of a whiteboard. This didn’t phase Li, she was told about Dr Brainjammer before enrolling in the class and, again, most people didn’t consider her very “normal” either.

“Well done for seeing through my illusion Jeremy!” said Dr Brainjammer. Well, said was inaccurate, he was mentally projecting his voice into everyone’s head. “10 points for Gryffindor! Well, I’m going to have to take 5 points off for smashing the door.” Li looked towards the broken door as the students started coming in, led by a girl dressed in Gothic clothing. Li ran to her assigned seat, realising that class was going to start.

“Now that we’re all here,” Dr Brainjammer said to the class “Jeremy, why don’t you explain to the class what you just did there?” Jeremy stood up.

“Preparation is one of the most important steps in stand battles,” said Jeremy “Especially against mind-affecting stands.”

“He means psychic powers.” Dr Brainjammer interrupted.

“Yes,” Jeremy continued “I knew that Dr Brainjammer’s stand was very powerful and that he would likely test us early on. My stand, Greatest View, can detect psychic abilities to a limited extent. I felt that there was a psychic ability was being used on the entire class and, since I knew that Dr Brainjammer’s ability was illusion based, I decided to feel the wall until I felt his power shift. My stand detected that he was using his stand slightly differently on me and I concluded that he had expanded his illusion to be tactile as well, so I wouldn’t feel the door. That’s how I knew where to kick.”

“Wait,” said a student of African heritage with a mohawk “I don’t get it. Why did you kick the door when you could have just opened it?”

“I couldn’t trust my hand-eye coordination fully due to his stand.” Jeremy continued “And it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as dramatic. I should note that Dr Brainjammer was going easy on us, if he was using his stand to his fullest extent he could have had me running in circles for days.” The class chuckled.

“Yes, well you are only school children after all! Thank you, Jeremy.” Said Dr Brainjammer. Jeremy sat down. “Jeremy raises some good points – one should never underestimate psychic abilities. If you let an enemy psychic ensnare you in their traps then you will never escape! As you’ve probably guessed, I am Dr Brainjammer and in this class you will learn how to…”

****************​

As the bell rang, Jeremy and Li walked down the corridor together.

“Nǐ hǎo again!” Li said, holding out her hand for a handshake “I don’t think I introduced myself properly. I’m Li Zhang San.”

“I’m Jeremy Ford,” said Jeremy, as he returned his handshake. “I never got the chance to ask you – what is your stand?”

“Um,” said Li “That’s like my superpower, right? Well, there’s the whole lizard thing as you’ve probably guessed. Oh, and I can turn into a giant form that makes me super extra strong!”

“Hmm,” said Jeremy “I think I’ll call your stand Everybody Walk the Dinosaur.

“Hey!” said Li “Are you calling me a dinosaur?” Jeremy looked embarrassed at that.

“I’m sorry,” he said “I really didn’t mean to offend.”

“Its alright,” said Li “I kinda like it actually, makes me sound all powerful and mighty! Isn’t that like a song name or something? What’s up with your whole stand thing anyway?”

“Tell me,” said Jeremy “Have you ever heard of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure?”

“No,” Li replied “What is it?” Jeremy smiled.

“It is simply the greatest manga and anime ever to have been created.” said Jeremy.

“Oh!” said Li “Now that you mention it I think I remember Monkey talking about that show a lot. What’s it about exactly?” As Jeremy and Li walked towards the lunch room, a friendship of two eccentric individuals started to blossom.

Last edited:
"So what do you think? Purple or blue for today?" Cass asks, curling eyelashes in front of the vanity. The vanity, as well as most objects in the newspaper clubroom were stolen off of either other school classrooms or the garbage dumps of Bairheights, although Cass would contest whether or not taking something nobody else would ever use were stealing. Case in point, these blue and purple wigs that she found locked in a neat box at the lost and found. A half-full set of make-up kit.

A boy with a green beanie and hoodie opens one groggy eye to glance at her from across the clubroom. "Since when..." he rasps. "Were you the type that worried about such things?"

"You are right, blue sucks," Cass replies. Her natural hair is short enough--she carefully dons a wig cap before securing the purple wig over her head. "Purple is so much better these days." She spins her chair around, sliding in front of her office desk. It is a neatly arranged thing. A laptop at dead center. Rows of neat folders containing gossip and rumors to the side. Pencil holder full of necessities. A broken desk lamp that she keeps just for appearence's sake.

"You keep avoiding my questions," the boy says. He keeps his single open eye constantly trained on Cass as she spins around in her chair. "Why?"

The boy's office desk, by contrast, is a catastrophe. It is full of jagged metal, electronic, and plastic bits. Computer screens and wires cover everything around it. Cass wrinkles her nose at him.

"I'll start answering your stupid questions when you stop being stupid and clean your desk, Connie," she says. "You know I hate messes more than anything."

Connie shrugs. "It is functional," he protests. "You are the one who's weirdly obsessed with appearences." Cass scoffs, puts her legs on her desk. "Well, it helps to have a personality when you are writing for the gossip column and organizing classified ads for students and business owners of the tow-"

"Yeah, but you are bad at that too," Connie snirks. Cass throws a coin across the room, hitting him between the eyes. "Ow."

"Oh shut up!" Cass says, red in the face. "Everyone's gotta start somewhere!"

"We don't even print our stories. We just send newsletters to student email address--ow." Another coin bounces off his beanie.

"W-who even reads print news these days anyways!" Cass says. "We keep our operational costs down, and it's also environmentally friendly!" Connie scoffs at that. "Yeah, as if you care about the trees--ow."

"Look, I'm doing this for you as much as it is for me," Cass says, carefully aiming another coin. "Don't you have fun using your machines and talents for these kinds of things?"

"What, spying on other students?" Connie says in mock disbelief. "Writing columns on weather and events in Bairheights?"

"Yes? It's a good use of your time. I'm trying..." she throws another coin. An electric cord near Connie animates, bats it out of the air. "I'm just trying to have a good time, ya know? With you, if possible."

"You beat me up when you first met me you crazy bi-"

"Fun times," Cass remarks sarcastically. "This is meant to be a pressure valve, yah know? For both you and me. You would have gone insane without me! Let's face it."

"You are driving me insane right now. I'm being exploited in slave labor."

"I'm trying to give you a new passion, Connie. Life without passion is like a fish without bicycles in an alternate reality where fish have bicycles."

"You giving me advice is like an idiot giving me advice."

"Haha, charming. Anyways, can you give me a progress report on what's going on with the other clubs?"

"Yes, all except two." Cass frowns, pulls out another coin from her pockets. "Explain?"

"DGM and the Villain Club," Connie says. "Newly established clubs, much like our own. There isn't even a file on them. I couldn't really figure out what they do." Cass tuts as she juggles the coin between her fingers.

"Well, we can't have that... Know anyone who's part of the Villain Club or DGM? Maybe someone will spill the beans."

"Can't you just send you-know-who," Connie says, pointing towards a dartboard embedded against the wall by a throwing knife. "To join the villain club or whatever DGM is? I'm sure she'll fit in." Cass scoffs.

"No way," she says. Connie shrugs. He does not contest further. "Well, I think the bergie you interviewed earlier is part of the villains club. That purple boy is part of DGM, I think, according to the surveillance footage.

"Firstly, that's an incorrect use of the term: bergie, and secondly, she's named Heidi," Cass shoots back. "Anyways, thanks for the intelligence. I guess I know who I should talk to now," Cass slides her chair across the floor towards the window.

"Window, again?" Connie says, exasperated. Cass blows him a kiss before crawling out of the room.

A Meditation on the Sword that Does Not Cut

According to Islamic Hadith, Allah split compassion into one thousand parts, and gave one to the universe, enough that a mother calf will raise her hoof to avoid trampling her baby. The rest was kept with Allah. Some mystics claim Excalibur is what He created with the rest of His Compassion and was sent to earth after Jesus died so that when His prophet came back, he may have the means to establish his realm of Believers.

Other stories say this - once Excalibur too was a monster. It belonged in the hands of every bloodthirsty ruler strong enough to stake a claim to the mantle of conqueror from Sargon to Alexander the Great. It had no desire but to cut and it had no principles guiding its butchery. It was violence made physical. And then one day, Merlin showed mercy to Mordred, allowing the baby to live, despite knowing everything that would happen.

“Why, master?” The sword asked, for while Arthur may have drawn him, he was frightened of the sword, and left it for Merlin to commit all the butchery needed to secure the foundations of the kingdom. And a butcher Merlin had been - both a humanist and a savage and somehow able to sew up those contradictions to form a nation.

And Merlin said, “Because laying down my monstrousness and being destroyed is a choice, too. You could do it too.”

“A sword that cannot cut, preposterous” is what Excalibur would’ve said if it had any idea of language, or philosophy, or anything other than a dim awareness tinged with curiosity.

Somehow Merlin understands and there is something cold and distant in his eyes, not so much threatening as so vast a chasm, it feels like what an ant must feel staring at a human.

“Is it only flesh, you can cut then?” Merlin finally says and leaves the question hanging in the air. Somehow it changes everything.

According to other stories, Excalibur was left in Pandora’s box when she opened evil to the world.

All of these stories are false. All of the are true. Excalibur is as much the story as it is sword. Why must the physical part be all that human care about? It is the story of evil vanquished. Of a wrong righted. It is the story of oppression destroyed. It is the story of redemption earned. It is an unqualified apology and a genuine desire to do better. These are all Excalibur too.

And if one is especially naive, it is the history of human civilization, from slavery to Jim Crow to the Civil Rights movement, to the ceaseless work of good people to turn the engine of history away from oppression and towards brotherhood. But only, if one is truly naive.

However, since humans are sadly unable to connect to the metaphysical, to them they only see the least important of Excalibur - an ornate gold hilt without a blade. Excalibur is a sword that chooses not to cut. That does not mean it is useless. It’s power operates on the deep push and pull of narrative, the voice of compassion. One knows Excalibur because of the boundless understanding and acceptance it radiants. It will believe to the very end that even the monster has a place in the world - all the monster needs to do is believe. But never mistake Excalibur’s compassion for absolution. Forgiveness with restitution is not compassion- to forgive the monster in pace of the victim it has harmed and allow further abuse is abuse in of itself and Excalibur will never abide for this. It is a great burden to both love the monster and those it harms and realize that the line is more fluid than anyone realizes. For this reason, Excalibur radiates great grief and weariness as well.

The Knight in Central Park

According to Jeff’s best guess the knight is one of Merlin’s constructs, because the man was likely an imperfect mortal host to something that operated about ten thousand dimensions off from him. Nothing about his power matched with anything Jeff was familiar with and Jeff had forgotten more about magic than all of humanity had learned. So yeah, a magical construct with unknown properties guarding a sword associated with King Arthur? Merlin was a safe bet. But honestly, it could be divine or from some other unknown corner of the multiverse. Thank god it wouldn’t be him risking his neck to find out.

Jeff studied the thing from the safety of his shop, using his floating eye to really take in the scene. The armored knight stood six feet tall and was built like a tank. Hell with its enchanted steel plate armor, it could probably take a tank head on. In its hands it carried a comically oversized bastard sword that looked about as tall as a tree. It was at least ten feet tall and the blade was almost as wide as the knight’s head.

Jeff decided to give the thing a little test run, maybe probe it for weaknesses. If he could get ahead of the disposable subcontractors er unpaid high school interns, he might be able to get the sword and not rely on middlemen who won’t do what he wants. So he sends an automaton to test the knight. It’s just a regular mass of disposed tentacles, his standard fare for meat puppets. It moves at a reasonable speed and while he hasn’t yet mastered fine control in a combat situation, it’ll serve as a probe.

Here’s what he quickly discovers - the knight is so slow, even a below average athletically inclined person could dodge his attacks. Here’s what he also discovers - the armor is so impenetrable it might as well not matter. His puppets can’t get a scratch. He arms them with metal pipes, shotguns, rifles, AR15’s with bumpstocks, and it doesn’t make a difference. He elects not to arm them with military grade weapons because that’d cause a Scene, which he’d rather not have, and instead elects to hope someone who’s powers aren’t merely physical and with a flexible moral compass would come to clean up. Cyril would have been perfect, but he declined, and Jeff really doesn’t want to push him. He’s cheap, he works like a horse, and he has a good head on his shoulders. Doesn’t hurt that he’s being paid handsomely by some demonic and angelic factions to keep an eye on the necromancer. Someone who can violate the boundaries of life and death is the kind of person that attracts alot of interest from those kinds of circles. Lucifer especially - the demon is madder than a mad hatter, talking about establishing a “republic of heaven” and “overthrowing the tyranny of God” but he pays well.

Had Jeff been paying closer attention, he might’ve noticed a small crack on the knight’s back.

OOC: This story was supposed to be worked on after a different collab that features both seon and I were finished. However, this collab was finished first, and we decided it was better to post it now anyways. Therefore, this refers to events that was in the other collab, since its kind of important for Heidi's arc. So don't be confused if you don't know what Heidi is referring to; that incident will be posted soon. Take it as a teaser ;)

……………………………………………………………………………………...

“You are a madwoman,” Connie says as he trudges through the second floor hallways, shortly behind Cass. She’s humming as she peers out the windows. “You worry too much,” she says. “This story is golden!”

“Yellow. This story is yellow,” Connie says. “You have no proof that anything untoward is going on between the class president and-”

“Truth is not something we are being paid to write, Connie.”

“We aren’t being paid anything! We are an unofficial school newspaper! We get gifted free meal tickets at local businesses and used goods!”

“Yes, yes, as I was saying… truth is one of many things we aren’t being paid to wri--oh hang on…” she stops suddenly, letting Connie slam into her back and bounce off. “Ow.”

Cass quickly pokes her head out through an open window and focuses her eye down below. Yes! There below! That was Heidi! Just the person she was looking for. “Damnit, I gotta grab her attention somehow…”

She quickly rifles through her pockets. Penknives. Nope. Sharpies. She would rather die than be without her writing utensils. Notepad. Definitely not. A ruler. Why was she even carrying one of those? A cellphone in ballistic, supposedly mil-grade casing that made it rather heavy, but also balanced for throwing. Perfect.

She pulls out her cellphone, aims at Heidi’s head, and throws. Being thrown by Cass, it flies through the air exactly on target.

……………………………………………………………………………………...

Heidi didn’t know why a demon was trying to contact children and get them to do their questionable bidding, or why the school was even ok with a self-professed demon advertizing his blatantly absurd tasks on the campus grounds, but she was ok with just letting it go as this whole school was frankly just an exercise in creating the most absurd reality for metahumans. That is, until she saw the final task that the demon -- Jeff was the name he decided to dub himself -- offered.

Heidi’s stomach turned with an emotion she wasn’t used to feeling anymore when she read that job offer: utter disgust. Jeff wanted one of the students to find a homeless “bugger” who found Excalibur, the Excalibur, and beat him up to steal the sword from him. As if that wasn’t horrific enough, then he wanted whatever idiot decided to take the job to hide the thing and prevent some ancient prophecy from bringing world peace and justice to the world.

The worst thing is, knowing the questionable ethics and stability of some of her classmates, Heidi could easily imagine that some of them wouldn’t flinch at actually doing it. Like Trudy, that crazy girl she met on the bus, the one that Cass implied was well-versed in doing these sort of hits in the past. She’d might even enjoy it, for all Heidi even knew. Or what about that weird Australian weeb, Jeremey? He seems so unhinged in his belief that he is one of the main characters in that show he’s obsessed with, that he’d take the job and still think he’s a hero simply because he’s himself.

No, Heidi couldn’t let this happen. She knew she had to prevent what was invariably going to go down before it happened. Heidi doesn’t need to see some innocent person beat to possible death over some magical artifact they don’t even realize the true importance of. She didn’t need a prophecy to bring utopia subverted because a student in this school is too selfish over wanting a cool magic sword to hit people with. Heidi knew, deep down, she isn’t a hero. But this Once and Future King is, and he (or she!) needs to get this sword as soon as possible. That’s why she decided she had to hunt for Excalibur, before someone worse than her got their hands on it first.

So why is she on the pavement?

Heidi could feel a sharp pain throbbing through her head, as her face was pointed straight towards the sky. The ravenette could feel her trademark beanie was knocked off her head as well, and even the rest of her body was stinging from the impact. Forcing her upper body up to take a look around her surroundings, Heidi could see her now discarded beanie and a phone which seems suspiciously like brand new despite a crash like that. Nor did it even look like Heidi’s own phone. She instinctively reached into her own pocket, and to her surprise, still felt it. It wasn’t her phone.

What the hell just happened?

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

“Yes!” Cass said, ducking under the window. “A direct hit!” She momentarily seemed to have forgotten why she even threw the phone in the first place.

“Oh my god, are you insane?” Connie hissed, staring out the window in disbelief. “You hit that girl in the face! What if you fractured her skull! What if you go to detention or jail!”

Cass peeked slightly over the windowsill to observe Heidi struggling to get up from the pavement. “Nope, she’s perfectly fine. Quick, Connie, give me your phone!”

Connie looked at her in horror. “No!”

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

The phone in black, suspiciously thick casing by Heidi’s feet began to ring. Heidi quickly glanced around, seeing if the phone’s owner might run by to pick it up. However, as the phone continued to ring, she realized no one was coming around to claim it. Heidi went to retrieve her beanie, before collecting the phone off the ground afterwards.

The phone, which seemed to just be a regular iPhone, still looked quite out of the ordinary to Heidi. With a thick, milspec casing, the thing looked nearly impervious. She could drive a truck over the phone and Heidi doubted it would have even cracked the screen.

“Hey,” Heidi cried out to no one in particular around her, waving the still-ringing phone around, “Did anyone drop this?”

No one responded back to Heidi.

The ringing stops. A moment later, a new text appears on the screen: answer the phone, beanie-lover, it says.

“Gott im Himmel”, Heidi silently muttered to herself, “Das wird einer dieser Tage sein”

A second later, the phone started to ring again. Heidi, this time, answered immediately.

“What the hell is going on?” Heidi said, with a strange mix of annoyance and resignation that this wasn’t going away anytime soon.

“Heeeeeey, girlfriend!” Cass’s chipper voice floods through the receiver. “What’s up!”

“Cass,” Heidi responded, completely ignoring the student reporter’s question, “Did you throw this phone at me?”

“You know, I really like you, Heidi,” Cass says, also ignoring the question. “You have a lot of energy and go-get-em attitude! Exactly the kind of attitude that our newspaper club could use on the field!” Cass said. “Also yes. Sorry about that. Chin up though. Really, seriously. Put your chin up and maybe put some ice on that.”

Heidi sighed in response to Cass’s pitch. Heidi didn’t have the time to put up with this kind of eccentricity right now. Time was ticking, and every second was precious. “Look, Cass, I’m really busy right now. Can we talk about this some other time?”

“Oh, but we should talk about this now!” Cass’s voice turns sibilant. “I’m sure it’ll be to your interest too… There’s two things I’m sure you’ve noticed around the school. First, being the Villains Club. We can talk about that later, admittedly. Second is, of course, our most popular school demon or extradimensional-whatever-the-hell-it-is: Jeff.”

Heidi was not sure what Cass was getting at with the first bit. Was she trying to blackmail her? It’s not something that Heidi particularly cared about if people found out she was a member of: if anything, Heidi would kind of like more people to show up so she could wax philosophical dialectics on morality with. But the second bit took the Liechtensteiner off guard.

“What about Jeff?” She hurriedly responded.

“Haha~ I knew that would get your attention!” Cass’s voice needles. “Well, Heidi, I have nothing but absolute admiration for people like you, yah know? The world’s full of horsecrap as it is. It needs folks like you out there fighting the good fight. Then comes some nasty psychopath from some alternate reality trying to make a mess of everything.”

“See, some things are tolerable even then. Bottle a siren song? Sure, why not. Cook a dragon? Okay, maybe that’s tolerable enough to put on my newspaper. Beat up a homeless guy? Yeah, you’ve got a problem there. I don’t even give two cents about the sword,” Cass rants. “I’m sure you agree with me that putting up contracts to beat up some random guy is unacceptable in the school. Given some of the characters in the school, I’m sure some of them are preparing the hit right now! So, uh, I need your help to send Jeff a ‘fudge you’ note, if you understand what I’m saying.”

Heidi couldn’t believe what Cass was saying. It was almost as if Cass was reading her mind as she was walking down the sidewalk. She didn’t even realize there was other students with a moral compass that wasn’t practically extraterrestrial in origin “Y-you’re serious, Cass? You mean that? ‘Cause that was, actually exactly what I was heading out to do...”

“Yeah well, I’ve spotted you looking at the fliers, love. It doesn’t take much guessing to figure out what would happen afterward,” Cass says. Back in the second floor, she’s struggling not to giggle as she bats off Connie’s attempts to retrieve his phone from her hand. “But that’s perfect. What are you planning to do? Mind if I tag along? I would love to uhh… cover it for the newspaper. Make a rather unflattering article about Jeff. Not much I can do to fudge him over beside that for me, but you! You are powerful enough to stop whatever heist plan he’s got.”

“I was just planning on talking to the guy and telling him what was going on,” the Liechtensteiner openly admitted, “Try to get the sword from him without any sort of physical alteration. Maybe give him some money in return for it, I don’t know. I just don’t want to see the guy get killed for something he had no real part of.”

“And I don’t want to have to use my powers,” Heidi firmly concluded.

A sigh, as if somewhat disappointed. “Really? That’s the plan? Well, I guess it’s workable,” Cass says. “I’ll help out whenever possible, but in exchange, you’ve got to promise me something--Hehehe. Nothing big or too important, I assure you.”

“Joining the newspaper club, I assume?”

“Well, okay, yes,” Cass said. “But really, I just wanted a source within the Villains Club. Members are notoriously tight-lipped!” you can almost hear the pout. “I want you to be my little mole in the club! I mean, I guess nothing really happens in any of the school clubs, but you never know!”

“We’re not villains,” Heidi protested, “We just like talking about them and what they believe in and what they do. It’s like, applied philosophy in the real world. It’s actually… fun.” A word Heidi knows she doesn’t use much anymore.

“Bleh, not really my thing,” Cass says. “People big on ethics and philosophy are really mean to Trudy and me and Connie. Connie, put that scissor down! Sorry, annoying classmate. But anyways, just keep me posted on them, okay? All these moral liqui...flexi...relativity? No, that’s about light and time, isn’t it? Moral liquidity business really just confuses the hell out of me,” Cass concludes. A background noise--a boy’s voice? “No, it can’t be relativity, Connie, that’s just stupid. Anyways, Heidi, I’m coming downstairs to meet you.”

Heidi frowned at Cass’s first statement. OK, maybe Trudy kind of deserved to be called out for her warped sense of morality, but Cass, despite her… oddness, wasn’t really that bad of a person. Besides, the only person who really deserved to be put down was leeches like herself and-

No, Heidi knew she should try to focus for once on what is actually important.

“OK,” she responded, “See you in a minute”, before clicking the phone off.

Shaking of leaves above--Cass jumps down from the window above, slowing herself down through clutching at a tree branch. She uses the momentum to swing herself forward, landing in front of Heidi with a bright smile. “Hey, hey!” she beams, dusting herself off. Her clothes are slightly disheveled, as if she just fought off a dog and a particularly ferocious hawk. Her spectacles sit slightly crookedly on her nose. “So where to?”

Heidi didn’t even bother to comment on Cass deciding to rappel to the ground using the trees. If anything, the reporter actually using the stairs to go to somewhere would be the real shocking event. Instead, the ravenette just walked over to her… friendly acquaintance, handing the phone out to her for Cass to take.

“The job said we’d find the guy in the park in the center of the city,” Heidi briefed, “Didn’t actually give a name for it though. Hopefully there’s only one park there.”

“Eh, center of the city? It’s a small suburban town!” Cass says. “Probably was talking about the lakeside forest, which is kinda center of the city, but not really. I think I know the way. Didn’t notice anything untoward last time I visited though. Certainly not any weird homeless guy with a big magic sword. Think I know the way though, so I can help us get there,” she begins to walk, wrapping an arm around Heidi’s.

“O-ok”, Heidi affirmed, slightly blushing as she felt Cass wrapping her arm around her own, but also not resisting against it. She freely admitted she really didn’t know the local geography of this place well at all, given that she spent most of her time not in class holed up in her room. That incident on the bus was probably one of the few times she wandered off of campus, and after that trainwreck, Heidi wasn’t sure if she even trusted herself to find the way back alone. It was simply for the best to accept Cass’s guidance on this issue.

Cass giggles slightly, covering her mouth with her free hand. “So, Heidi,” she says, dragging her slightly along the road. “Whatcha gonna do with the sword? You know, once you have it.”

“Safeguard it,” Heidi admitted, “Keep it safe and ready for the Once and Future King. Maybe he… or she… can be the hero that I’m not. Save the world and vanquish evil, like the ancient prophecy says.”

Cass frowns. Her hand gripping around Heidi’s tightens slightly. “Oh, I hope you don’t actually believe in this prophecy bullhockey,” she mutters. “But well, I guess I have to admit that I wish it was true sometimes. I sometimes hope that something can undo all the Evil in this world myself,” she admits. There is conviction in her voice when she says the word: evil, as if it is an externality. An outside force.

“Not too often though! Hah! Imagine a world without scandal! I would lose my job!” her frown makes way for a sarcastic chuckle. “And well, this girl’s got an upkeep. Got any protection with you?” She suddenly changes topic, leading her out of the school gate and towards a lush looking forest, just off campus.

Heidi blankly stared into the horizon. “If you asked me yesterday, I wouldn’t have believed in any grand prophecy either, Cass. But a demon doesn’t come onto campus to tell people to go secure Excalibur to prevent the rise of a hero if he doesn’t believe that it is real. Which is why I do believe it, that the Once and Future King will come. I mean, it's no more ridiculous than metahumans, and look at where both of us are.”

However, the ravenette frowned after Cass asked about protection. She, honestly, truly believed that she would be been able to talk the guy out of the sword. Afterall, it was just some “bugger” on the job description. It wasn’t some supernatural ancient guardian or anything like that. Plus, even without her powers, its not like Heidi wasn’t trained to fight in general during her time in government custody in Liechtenstein. If the guy ended up being violent or stubborn, she could just disarm him with technique that he would likely have no response to. Probably would just give up after she took the sword by that point.

“I didn’t bring any ‘protection’, Cass. I’m not planning on fighting.”

Cass gasps, still giggling with her mouth covered. “Whaaaat? You are taking a lady into a dark corner of a forest, and you haven’t got any protection on you?” She laughs. “I’m kidding! I’m kidding! As for my protection…” she leans against Heidi. “I choose you! You’ll keep me safe, right?”

Heidi’s face burned red when she finally realized what Cass really meant by protection, followed by incoherent stammering in her native German. Before her mind could wander into questions over how serious Cass was being, even after admitting that she was “kidding”, Heidi’s further dignity was saved by Cass’s next question.

Taking a deep breath to reorientate herself, Hedi responded, “I won’t let you get hurt, Cass. I promise.”

Cass blushes herself, unwinding her arm away from Heidi’s. “Umm, d-don’t worry about me too much,” she manages to stutter out. She walks slightly ahead of Heidi’s, avoiding eye contact. “I can actually take care of myself. I don’t actually expect you to do anything about that,” she concludes. “Err… Hey hey!” she says. Bit of her upbeat cheerfulness returns as quickly as it went. “The guy’s probably not camping out by the lakefront where everyone is hanging out. There’s supposedly a clearing at the end of this trail! Discontinued now for some reason. Maybe he’s camping out there?”

“A better guess than mine,” Heidi admitted. “We should check it out”.

With that, Heidi started to walk into the trail. The sun was setting by this point, but there was still more than enough visible light for the two girls to see where they were going. The discontinued path had a small barrier meant to deter passerbys from taking the trail, but it didn’t nearly block off the trail completely, and Heidi easily walked around it.

Beyond that point, the trail beyond the barrier was pristine compared to the general path. There was no trash littered on the ground, and while there was a clear and identifiable cleared pathway for Heidi and Cass to travel through, the plants surrounding it were noticeably more unkempt than the trimmed plants in the public section, as if there was nobody around to prune any of them. Overall, there was little evidence that there was any human presence in the area.

“I… uhh… you should probably not take what I said before too seriously,” Cass says, still walking slightly ahead. “I mean, I get a lot of flak for teasing too much an--” she suddenly stops in the middle of the trail. She turns around quickly, a sudden grim and stoic expression on her face. She lunges towards Heidi, wrapping a hand around her mouth, before leaping together behind a bush.

“Shh shhh shhh!” Cass whispers. “Don’t make a sound!”

“Mpph!” Heidi instinctively protested as she was pulled into the bush, unsure of Cass’s intentions. She just said not to take what she said not seriously, but then she pulled them into a bush? The mixed messages was getting way too confusing for Heidi.

“Look!” Cass hisses, pointing ahead. Right there, in the distance, slightly obscured by a few low tree branches, were a tall figure holding a comically gigantic sword. “What the *fudge* is that?” She lets go of Heidi’s mouth. “Did we take a wrong turn or something? That doesn’t look like a bergie!”

Heidi peaked out of the bush herself to see the source of the reporter’s panic. Much like Cass, Heidi too saw a knight with a build that reminded Heidi of a heavy panzer. However, by far the most defining feature of the knight was his sword, which dwarves the knight, who was already on the tall end of the spectrum. That sword was easily three meters long, and was as wide as the knight’s armored head. This was an absolute far cry from what Jeff was implying was their target in the job description!

“Maybe,” Heidi said, trying to rationalize what she was seeing in front of her, “Excalibur grants you a nice suit of armor as well?”

“...Or maybe we just found *yet another* mystery in this weird town,” Cass muttered. She instinctively reaches to her pockets, digging around for supplies. She was definitely underequipped for this. The sweat rolling down her head was making her scalp under the wig itch like hell. “Okay okay, maybe we should… uhhh… talk to him?”

“OK… OK. I’ll talk to him,” Heidi volunteered. It was what she was planning to do in the first place, after all.

Heidi slowly stepped out of the bush, and took a few steps towards the knight, raising her arms in the air and her palms opened to establish her non-hostility to this figure.

“Hey…. mister…. Have you heard anything about a magic sword named Excalibur around here?”

The knight doesn’t respond to her words. He merely lifts his giant blade over head towards Heidi. “Watch out!” Cass calls out from behind the bush. She ducks back beneath it, digging out her cellphone from her pockets. “Crap crap crap… what the hell do I do…?!”

Heidi’s eyes widen as she takes a step back in panic. Of all the possible outcomes she was expecting from this mess, dead silence plus a threat to violence was possibly the absolute worst result that was possible. Heidi could not get a read on the knight or its intentions to her at all.

“Sir, I don’t mean any harm,” the ravenette hurriedly pleaded to the mysterious figure. “Please put the sword down. I just want to talk.”

The knight swings the sword down onto Heidi, and she feels somebody tackling her to the ground from the side. The great sword carves a divot along the path at least a foot deep where Heidi once stood. “You have a plan B, right?” Cass hisses as she quickly begins to drag Heidi out of the knight’s striking distance. Luckily, he does not seem too fast to recover.

Cass though, seems almost like a totally different person entirely. The enthusiasm and flirtatious attitude on her face is entirely gone, replaced by stoic determination and cold fury. “Come on, Heidi, talk to me. You aren’t hurt, right?”

“I don’t have a Plan A for this,” Heidi yelled backed, trying to get the hell away from the knight’s gigantic sword. “I was expecting some washed-up hobo with a sword, not a supernatural paladin!”

Heidi wondered if she could still try to use one of the martial techniques she learned in Liechtenstein to try to forcefully disarm the knight. Of course, it would be a lot different, and of course difficult, to actually try it against a trained fighter with panzer-thick gauntlets compared to just some random guy who doesn’t even know how to use a sword. Of course, anything would be possible if she powered up in a situation like this, but…

The ravenette looked back at Cass, and cursed very audibly at herself. She couldn’t do that to her, not to what might be her only friend on campus. She didn’t deserve it, to suffer the same kind of fate that she inflicted on herself. Not to mention, she felt so disgusted at herself for draining even Li of all people during that incident on the bus, in a situation that caused her to panic in a way that would make her now look calm and composed. This would be a conscious choice to, a conscious choice to drain Cass.

“Maybe we should just get out of here,” Heidi yelled at Cass, not having any sort of better idea than to simply run away at this point.

“ العمى,” Cass mutters. “We can’t just leave, what if a kid wanders into this part of the park?” She drags out Heidi to safety behind a tree, her heart pounding in her chest. The knight makes no attempt to pursue. “Listen,” she says. “I called for help. I’m going to go get them to here. Keep the knight… uhhh… busy while they come, okay? They’ll come here. I promise you,” she lets go of Heidi and starts to back off the way she came. “Okay? I’ll come back.” She runs off.

“WAIT,” Heidi called out in vain, but she frowned when she realized the reporter was already gone. Well, there went that option at all. Now Heidi really truly was out of luck at this point. Heavily cursing herself out more, Heidi slowly rose herself back up on her feet, turning around as if to face the knight again. She stared down against the man that attacked her, waiting in place to see if he was going to make another move against her, or if she could just let this tense standoff persist until Cass returns with her help.

The knight stares impassively, the sword half-raised towards Heidi. If he feels tired of holding such a monstrous weapon, he does not show it. He makes no move to close distance. If one is to break the standoff, it’s obviously not going to be him.

Nor was it going to be Heidi. Discretion was the better part of valor, in this case. Sure, she could try to fight in vain against this guy, but the cold hard truth was that she wasn’t going to do anything to him unless she bit the bullet and decided to power up, and at this point now she couldn’t even if she wanted to. Otherwise, all she is a combat trained but still lanky teenage girl with absolutely no special characteristics that would in any way allow her to stand up to a knight with the strength to wield a three meter sword. She wasn’t going to kill herself for nothing.

So Heidi instead just stared back, not going to move forward, but also not moving back. After all, while Heidi would very much like to retreat and pretend this entire day never happened, Cass was right. Some child could easily wander into the inner section of this park and find themselves face to face with whatever this knight is. If he was willing to attack her, he’d probably attack anyone that crossed paths with him. Heidi wouldn’t have their blood on her hands. She had to see this through somehow.

After what seems like a few hours, but in actuality a few minutes at most, a figure emerges from the path behind Heidi. A tall girl (compared to Heidi, anyways) with black hair, light-ish skin, and steel grey eyes on her freckled face. Trudine, from the bus ride before. She walks up next to Heidi, and if she registers any surprise at seeing a knight with three meter long sword in his hand in the middle of a forest, she does not show it. She’s hunched over slightly, looking ready to fight. “Is ‘zat it?” she says casually, lifting her chin slightly at the knight. There is no sign of Cass anywhere. Trudy looks slightly away from Heidi upon making eye contact.

“Should have guessed it was going to be you,” Heidi said with a neutral expression, keeping her eyes on the knight at all times. Cass did say she relied on Trudy as her muscle in situations that she needed one. And, well, they could definitely use someone who could actually fight against the knight without becoming a monster in turn. At least this was on Cass’s favor, and not Heidi’s own.

Trudine shoots Heidi a small glare, but quickly turns her head aside back towards the knight. “You don’t like me. I don’t blame you for that, but let’s keep things cordial. Neither of us really wants to be here,” she snaps. “Can you attempt to do… whatever it is you do to take your power on that knight?”

“No, Heidi flatly refused. “I can’t. What I did then was a mistake. I panicked, and I did something I was not proud of. It’s not my right to steal from others to make myself stronger. I couldn’t do it to Cass, and… not even to you.”

“How… charming,” Trudine says, biting her lips. Now that Heidi spent some time between both Trudy and Cass, the physical resemblance between them seem somewhat striking--perhaps they are relatives? “Do you think you could distract the knight? One swing away from me, and I’m confident that I can close the distance.” She lied. She was fairly certain she could close the distance with or without Heidi’s help.

“I… I can do that,” Heidi responded.

The Liechtensteiner took a few steps forward, which instantly brought the attention of the knight. He started to raise his sword again, and Heidi went back to thinking about the combat maneuvers that her handlers at home trained her to use in order to dodge attacks. Of course, it was expected that she would have heightened reflexes and superhuman speed to pull of stunts that would otherwise be physically impossible, but some of the basics should still be possible even without them. When the knight seemed to be at the zenith of raising his sword, the ravenette instantly broke into a dive to her right, and rolled across the ground before rising to her feet with the sort of military precision that would look severely out of place for the young girl. Heidi easily broke away from the swing, although another large divot was formed where she was once standing.

Trudine instantly breaks into action the moment she registers the swing towards Heidi, dashing across to reach the knight within a second. Recognizing the threat, the knight lifts a leg to deliver a kick--a mistake. An attack that slow might have well have been standing still for Trudine. She was born with a natural gift--time seemed to slow down for her whenever adversity loomed. This talent of seeing her enemies frozen in time for a single moment allowed her to grasp victory from the jaws of defeat many times over in her life. A slow moving and heavily armored target like this? Hah! She used to dodge rockets. This was almost laughable. She couldn’t believe she was so scared before.

She slid under the kick and behind the knight before instantly pulling herself up using the knight’s armored skirt and onto his back, knives flashing in her hands. The knight dropped his sword, attempting to reach behind his back for the climber. She jabs a knife into one of the joints of the armor. Crack. She seems almost bemused that her knives have proved ineffective--as if gladdened that this will be a tougher fight than she imagined.

The knight falls backwards, attempting to crush Trudine under its weight. She leaps off of its back and rolls away. “Found some weakpoints, I think,” Trudine says, walking up to Heidi while the knight attempted to right itself. “Large cracks on the back. Target doesn’t seem human.” She tosses her a spare penknife. “Think you can get it?”

“Yeah, I got it,” Heidi affirmed back to Trudine as she caught the knife in in the air. With a flick of her wrist, she opened the penknife open, extending forth the blade. Immediately afterwards, she charged at the knight’s backside as it was distracted with Trudy. The knight was completely unaware as the ravenette, with all of her might, jabbed the knife into a crack. As the knife dug into the armor, Heidi realized what Trudy said was absolutely right: this was no human. There was no scream in pain, no blood, nor did it really even feel like she hit flesh. But she hit something within that armor, and it was working. The knight staggered as the blade went through the crack, interrupting the attack he was using against the South African.

Realizing the attack was effective, Heidi quickly pulled the blade out and stabbed again. And continued to pull it out and jam it back in elsewhere than where she stabbed before, over and over again as she yelled in sheer fury and panic.The knight by now was most fully aware of her position, and if she didn’t take it down within the next few seconds, she was probably going to get cut down by the sword, regardless of how slow he was, given how close she was.

Given Heid’s location, the knight elects to fall over backwards again, attempting to crush her with its own weight. Trudine rushes forward, attempting to take advantage of the moment where the knight is immobilized.

Seeing the knight trying to flop on her, Heidi quickly pulled the knife out of the most recent stab, and bolted to the right as fast as her feet would take her. She narrowly avoided the knight as it collapsed onto the ground.

“I felt something in the middle of the knight,” Heidi reported to Trudy, “You’re right, its not human.”

Trudine ignored Heidi as she dashed onto the knight, the world slowing down as she tried to assess the situation. There was something it clearly wanted to protect on its back--it wouldn’t willingly immobilize itself just to get rid of an attacker in that direction, but was there any other vulnerability? She then notices something on the sole of the knight’s armored foot. Some kind of symbol aglow with power. It… couldn’t be so simple, could it?

She decides to chance it, throwing a knife into the center of the symbol even as she leapt onto the knight, intending to slide a few more blades through the slits on its helmet. The thrown knife embeds itself into the plate at the bottom of the sole even as she crawls up on the knight’s torso.

The knight just stops. It’s as if someone took the battery out of a circuit for a giant robot and the machine powered down. The knight remains still in its position on the ground for one second, before falling apart at its joints. One ton of plate armor collapses into dozens of pieces. And in the rubble is a golden hilt without a sword. Excalibur, both girls know without needing to be told. There’s just such a strong feeling of acceptance coming from the sword, a feeling of having a place in the world. The feeling is so strong, it's inhuman, what one would imagine standing in the face of God’s love would feel like. Along with this inhuman compassion comes great grief too, for one cannot love without bleeding for both the monster who harms and their victims.

Trudine, having collapsed inward into the wreckage of the knight with its destruction, stands up unsteady, shaking dust from her sleeves. Noticing the hilt in the rubble with her, she recoils at first as if burned by live wire. The moment passes quickly, however, and she picks it up by her sleeve, as if it’s a piece of scrap metal that she would rather not be touching. “Target… neutralized… I guess?” she manages to mumble out. Strange feelings were swirling in her chest, and she did not like these feelings at all. She kept her expression stoic as possible as she showed the object to Heidi. She twitches, visibly struggling against an overwhelming headache and pain in her chest, every one of her instinct screaming at her to dash the artifact against a rock! A tree! Something that makes the pain stop.

As soon as the knight was defeated and the rubble made way to reveal the ancient artifact buried beneath the knight, Heidi dropped to her knees over the overwhelming emotions that were starting to fester in her. For a normal person, those emotions were already inhumanly strong. For someone who had burnt away their natural feelings of emotions, it made her experience a strong sense of… being, that she hasn’t felt in literal years. It was a sensation that she was unprepared to handle, and possibly could had never prepared to handle.

The power emanating from the sword, Heidi felt, was only growing in strength as the seconds passed. Opening her eyes, she immediately sees why. Trudy was holding the sacred blade right in front of her eyes, as if to show off the ultimate result of that terrifying encounter. In between the pain of the rushing emotions, Heidi let out a small smile.

“We did it, Trudy,” Heidi weakly celebrated. “Excalibur. We have to keep it safe for the Once and Future King.”

Trudine’s expression is inscrutable as she turns the hilt around in her hand. “It’s… it’s not going away,” she mutters. “God, it makes me so heartsick, I can’t even… I can’t even retch!” She screams in frustration, clutching the metal.

“This is what it's like to feel again,” Heidi said with a tint of wonder in her voice. Her eyes were starting to water up, and her stomach and chest bursting with excitement that she couldn’t even begin to control. “I don’t know if I can handle it!”

Trudine looks at Heidi, her expression still inscrutable. “Do you sincerely believe…” she whispers. There’s a sudden heat in the air, as if blasted out from a distant sandstorm. “That this… this ubuntu junk can change the world?” she mutters out.

The intense feeling in Trudy lessens to nothing but a faint echo, a firm but gentle hand reminding her that Excalibur is there, that it has not forgotten but that it will give her the space she desires.

“Yes,” Heidi said, starting to let loose a tear, “I think it will. One day.”

Trudine stares. The heat that seems to emanate out from her fades away. “Take it!” she hisses, throwing the hilt towards Heidi. “Take it! Take the bloody thing! Better you than me.” She staggers a bit, collapsing onto the ground on her knees.

Heidi rose to her feet. She hesitantly stared at the sword, the emotions still swirling in her head. She looked up, to look at Trudy herself for the first time in the whole exchange. She could see the pain in her face, a pain that Heidi couldn’t recognize, but nevertheless empathized with. Once Trudy threw the sword, Heidi grabbed the sword’s hilt in the air, before nodding in appreciation for everything Trudy just did up to that point.

“God, you *******,” Trudine whispers out to Heidi as she takes the sword. “I hope you are happy. I hope you are glad you are probably right. I believe in good people, you know, but look where that gets me. I care for you because I think you are a good person, and whenever I look at you, I can only see his face blooded and brained against the wall. I pulled people burning from craters. I saw their spinal fluids drain into the gutters, and look where all that gets me--” she rants. “Keep that thing somewhere safe. Away from me.”

“I’m… sorry.” Heidi didn’t know what the South African was referring to by “he”, but she knew far better than to ask her to open up about her past. All she could do is simply sympathize over whatever hardship that was buried in Trudy’s past.

Heidi was also sorry for misjudging Trudy, even if she didn’t even know the Liechtensteiner did so at all. Of all the people Heidi thought was going to do Jeff’s bidding, Trudy was number one. Yet, she ended up saving her, while not judging her for her refusal to use her powers, and then willingly gave up the sword to her. While claiming she thought positively of her at the end! Heidi didn’t know what to think about Trudy now, but it was certainly far more positive than it was a couple of hours ago.

“...and thank you,” Heidi continued, for once accepting the compliment on her good nature without feeling the dread of that spectre of nothingness haunting her. “I’ll keep it safe.”

“Next time I’ll see it, I’ll smash it,” Trudine promises. There’s a tone of determination in her voice. “I don’t… I don’t trust it, but I believe you. I can trust you, Heidi” she murmurs. She stands off, and staggers into the woods.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

As Heidi returns to the academy grounds, she notices a familiar figure with purple hair, smiling, and swinging her legs out atop a tree branch. Cass, and her eyes are trained on Heidi.

“Hey, hey!” she shouts down. “Care to join me up here?”

“Cass!” Heidi said with unusual excitement at seeing her reporter friend up in that tree. Excalibur’s presence was still being felt by Heidi, although she has been able to control herself better than when she first encountered it. Without pause, Heidi did exactly as what the reporter asked her to do; she climbed up the tree, and and went to sit on the same branch that she was sitting on.

“I’m so happy to see you, Cass”

If Cass seem somewhat alarmed by Heidi’s sudden change of personality, she doesn’t show it. “Oh wow, somebody’s being dari--okay, forget that,” she says, her tone suddenly becoming serious. “Are you alright? You didn’t get hurt, did you? That smug demon-salesman-thing, I swear I’ll end him when I get my hands on him,” she continues. Her resemblance to Trudine becomes more evident when she’s being serious. Her eyes are red--was she, crying?

Heidi put an arm on Cass’s shoulder. “I’m ok, Cass. We won. Trudy and I took the knight down”. On cue, Heidi took out the ornate hilt of Excalibur, the bladeless sword, and showed it to Cass. “It was some golem of some sort. Excalibur was inside him. Trudy… told me to take care of it. Until the Once and Future King comes. Wherever they are”

Cass recoils from the hilt, nearly falling off the tree along with Heidi. “Don’t! Are you crazy!” she hisses out, managing to balance herself at the last moment. “What if somebody else sees that!”

Heidi quickly put the blade away at Cass’s protest. “Sorry! I just wanted you to see that I- we, we managed to take it.” Whether that we was meant for Cass, Trudy, or both, Heidi didn’t clarify. “I’m going to have to find a place to keep it. Akane is going to feel it as strongly as I did if I bring it in my room. Not like she’d tell anyone, but… it was intense at first.”

Cass grumbles. “I don’t like it,” she says. “It promises too much. It’s inhuman. It promised me a place in its new world. Yeah, it and every single other Evil monsters I found in the world out there,” there is conviction in her word: evil, again. “I saw it and every cell in my body instantly began to scream to take it and dash it against stone. It was like seeing an abomination, Heidi, like carpet bombing in sundown, or an endless column of tanks driving through the Fulda gap. Everything that I can understand, yet not understand in some fancily shaped scrap metal.”

She sighs out, breathing heavily. “Don’t let it ever enter into Connie’s sight. He won’t hesitate like I or Trudine did.”

“How did you know Trudy wanted to destroy it?” Heidi asked, confused at how she would even know anything like that. Did Trudy seek her out as soon as everything was over?

“Because I know her better than you do,” Cass snaps. Her expression turns apologetic soon afterwards.

She leans against Heidi. “I’m sorry,” she says. “I shouldn’t have gone off like that… Still, seriously, don’t show it to Connie, please. In fact, don’t show it to anyone. Who knows what other freak will want to take it.”

“I won’t,” Heidi reassured Cass, smiling as she started to lean against her. “I won’t be an effective guardian if everyone knows where the secret is.” The ravenette sighed gently. “When I finally get this in a secured place, I’m going to lose the ability to feel again. That’s going to be the worst part of this. I can handle ‘those freaks’. But I’m going to miss the compassion the sword gives me.”

“Ohh?” a mischievous grin enters Cass’s face, wiping her serious look right off. “Feel again, eh? I guess what we had before were merely you pretending to feel with merely physical motiooooooons,” she drags out the last word as she caresses Heidi’s cheek. “It’s a shame, the way your face turned red looked so cute I could just devour you! Well, sad to hear that was all an act,” she wipes a mock tear off her eyes.

Almost as if on cue, Heidi’s cheeks started to glow the very same shade of red that the reporter was talking about. “Y-You get what I mean, Cass!” At least, Heidi hoped that she got what she meant. Yeah, their first encounter proved she still had some capacity to feel left inside her, but it didn’t mean actually feeling any sort of emotion besides the empty husk her powers left behind wasn’t a rare feeling altogether. Well, any good emotions that actually were pleasant to feel, at the very least.

“Nope, I don’t understannnd a woooord of what you are saying,” Cass says, drawling. “Honestly my capacity to feel anything other than hate and paranoia were burned out a looooong time ago. It’s one of the journalist job hazards, yah know?” Cass has admittedly only been at this line of work for like, a week or three at best, but didn’t let that stop her. “So tell me, what are you going to do with all these ‘feelings,’ go help out at a local animal shelter?” she giggles out.

Heidi shook her head, her face clearly expressing indignation. “It’s not funny, Cass. You don’t know what it's like to realize you made a Faustian bargain after the devil already took his due. That torture of being the broken husk of the woman that I used to be. I don’t want to be that husk again. I know I have to, to keep the blade secure. But...”

She sighed heavily. “Everything would be so much easier if I didn’t have such terrible powers. No other metahuman has to slowly kill their will to live in order to use their powers. Or steal it from others.”

“Yeah okay, sorry,” Cass says, her mischievous smile slowly fading. “And yeah, I have to admit that life would probably have been easier for you if you didn’t have that power. But…” she leans on Heidi again. “Well, if you hadn’t had those powers, you wouldn’t have met me, right? Way to shoot down a girl’s self esteem, to wish you never met her,” she giggles. “No, but really, I get it. I get it more than you think I do, I think.”

“So, what are you going to do to make life as enjoyable as possible until you return to… whatever it is you call yourself? I realize I don’t actually know much about your private life. Please don’t tell me you are going to go off and discuss philosophy with someone.”

Heidi smirked. “But, Cass, what is philosophy?”

“Oh, mother of god, please no,” Cass says, groaning.

Heidi chuckled at Cass’s frustration. “I’m just kidding. I don’t know what I’m going to do, to be honest. Definitely will have to go safe shopping eventually. Maybe go eat out a couple of times. You’d be surprised how it changes the way you even taste things.”

Cass’ smile falters for a single moment at Heidi’s last comment, but quickly regains composure. “Eat out, huh?” Cass says. “Yeah, totally. We could go find some hidden corner of the academy somewhere, lie down, and--no we can’t!” She playfully shoves Heidi away. “We can’t do that! I may not look it, but I take my chastity very seriously, Heidi!”

“Come on, that’s your cue to jump in with a deadpan comment.”

“That’s not what I meant!” She flusteredly backpedaled. “I just want to go get food I can’t find much back home. Like a burrito. The last time I tried it… well, let’s just say a certain someone had to sour the moment for me.”

Cass laughs. “I was just kidding! You know I’m just kidding,” she needles Heidi in the stomach. She’s trembling slightly. It appears as if she was just about as uncomfortable with her last joke as Heidi was. “I know a good place in the town. I’ll take you there!”

“What about tomorrow?” Heidi idly asked. Was way too late for tonight, nor did she want to head back into town after just coming back from fighting that golem knight. “Should do it soon so I can secure the hilt faster.”

Cass purses her lips. “Fine, fine,” she says. She suddenly pecks Heidi on the cheek. “That was in case you wake up dead inside tomorrow!” she says. She quickly turns her face away when Heidi turns to look, leaps off the tree. “I’ll see you around! Watch your head tomorrow, okay? I’ll contact you!”

She runs off.

As soon as Cass was out of sight, to be absolutely sure that its presence wouldn’t trigger that response from her again, Heidi pulled out the hilt of Excalibur once more. She stared at the bladeless sword, letting her eyes digest the intricate markings that covered the hilt. She could feel the weight of a promised future in her now trembling hands. Heidi closed her eyes, letting a hopeful sigh out of her mouth.

“Sei bald hier. Bitte.”

Last edited:
After vanquishing some kind of demon mother****** in the Denny's, the gang goes to the lakeside park. They get stoned. That seems to be it for the summary.

Many thinks to Tolni, Jackel, and Crezth.

Spoiler flirting with a knife wielding maniac may or may not be hazardous to health. Be advised :

It’s late at night, on the way to the lakefront. Trudine is keeping close to Jin, looking rather pointedly away from Cyril, although he suspects that she’s actually focused on him entirely.

Aleks tries to be in the middle, kind of worried that now that all of the commotion of the Denny's is gone, they'll be ditched by the rest at the first possible moment, looking awkwardly at both Jin & Trudy, as well at Cyril, who seemed to be slightly away from the rest. They try to keep a relatively brisk pace, and are also silent, as no one really says anything on the way. The group doesn't really seem to encounter anyone who pays them more than a moment's attention, even to Aleks themself.

Jin, for her part, is entirely focused on her purse and its contents. From a small ball of plastic wrap, she carefully unfolds a lumpy, thin cigarette. She takes a cursory glance at the vicinity - for being downtown

Bairheights, it’s quite unbusy at this time of night with only a few wanderers and vagrants milling about. The streets are empty but for the occasional car, half of which are taxis prowling for custom; only street lights and dim, shuttered storefronts line the sidewalks, and the electric hum of a sleeping city fills the air.

Cyril for his part, doesn’t make a sound. There’s a strange nervous tension in his shoulders. It isn’t so much a visible physical thing as it is a feeling of being uncomfortable in his own skin. Even the echoes of his footsteps are gone.

Trudine doesn’t say a word as she walks somewhat ahead of the group towards the entrance of the lakefront park. “Here it is,” she says. “You know the rest of the way, Jin?”

“Oh, yeah,” says Jin smoothly, sauntering forward. “I like this park. It’s so quiet, and… well, you’ll see.” She lifts the joint to her mouth and, using her thumb to generate a flame, lights it and inhales.

She coughs lightly and hands the glowing joint to Trudine, still walking ahead. “C’mon, walk ‘n’ talk.”

“Sure,” Trudine says, taking the lit joint. She takes a long drag. Exhales. Something akin to...scorn? Contempt? Begins to enter her expression as she continues to puff away. Not at Jin, but seemingly towards everything in general. “What do you want to talk about?”

"Is that a joint I'm seeing?" Aleks asks very innocently. They weren't popular, but, you know, they weren't that unpopular that they didn't get a smoke or two, so Aleks knew exactly what was at hand.

“Never leave home without one,” Jin replies casually, putting her hands in her pockets and taking a deep breath of the night air.

"Good thinking. Can I have a drag, Trudy?" they look at her. "Once you're done, of course."

“I wish I could escape my head that easily,” Cyril says quietly, sharing a meaningful look with Jin. They both remembered how his first joint went and neither had the desire to repeat that experiment.

Trudine rolls her eyes and hands over the smoke to Aleks. “Stop being so melodramatic, Cyri,” she mutters out as she walks ahead next to Jin.

Aleks takes the joint, and places it in her mouth, taking and inhaling the smoke inside their lungs, sighing as they feel a certain lightness and breeziness within themselves. "Mmm. That's good stuff." They then look at Cyril. "Yo, want some, my person?"

“Do you particularly feel like dealing with a lunatic axe murderer?”

"Depends, man, does he like getting touched and stuff and like, you know, he doesn't come with an axe or something?" Aleks says

“I mean my powers and drugs aren’t a good combination,” Cyril snaps.

"Oh, okay, fine, means more for us, am I right, ladies?" Aleks responds. "Oh, and we need someone to get us home, anyway…"

“Cyril, like, channeled this swinger the last time I saw him try it,” Jin says, shrugging. “A pretty wild reaction but I guess I’ve seen crazier. First time I ever got drunk I almost burned the club down.”

"A swinger, huh? Well, maybe he was hittin' on you, ooooooh!" Aleks opens their mouth and whistles.

“That’s exactly what happened, actually,” Jin chuckles. “I told the ghost to screw off. I mean, I know why he waltzed in. Cyril’s mind was out to lunch and he’s like a lightning rod of ectoplasmic energy. Perfect vessel for an enterprising spirit wandering the twilight veil.” She motions to Aleks to hand her back the joint.

“Yeah and there like a dozen ghosts hanging out around this place looking awfully hungry. I’d rather not find out the end result of a tug of war between so many supernatural entities. There might not be anything left of me.” Cyril is careful to omit Trudy’s name from this statement because that’d be an extreme betrayal of trust.

Trudine shoots Cyril an extremely nasty look, before her expression softens somewhat into that of careful contempt. She says nothing, and looks away just as quickly.

They turn onto a dirt trail, cutting down the middle of a carefully tended public flower garden, overflowing with azaleas and dandelions, the path leading right down to the edge of a moonlit lake that reflects the pale, dancing silhouette of the moon. Two swans are swimming across the lake nearest them, navigating the reeds and lilies that dot the water’s surface, and the croaking of the bullfrogs and the chirping of the crickets becomes very audible.

“Give me the joint,” Trudine says to Jin. It’s not a request, more like a statement of fact.

Jin passes it over dutifully, as she strolls ahead to a slope on the side of the water and sits down on the grass, leaning back and watching the surface of the water.

Aleks looks at Trudine as she takes the joint. "Pass it to me when you're done, will ya?"

Trudine doesn’t reply as she suddenly swings herself on top of a tall rock. She glares downward, cross-legged. “Cyri, do you have something you want to say to me?”

“I’m sorry I hurt you” Cyril apologizes softly. But because even he’s aware enough to not add “but I would’ve done it again” leaving that hanging in the air.

“Oh, stop talking,” she snaps back. Takes a drag from the joint. “You’ve been looking like a miserable puppy all the while walking here. Annoys the hell out of me,” she exhales towards Cyril. “What are you looking at?” she adds when Cyril makes eye-contact.

“I’m looking at you,” Cyril replies not understanding why Trudy was asking. There’s a weird energy in the air between them and he hates it. It’s not the hard decisions he’s afraid of but the spaces between them where there is only aftermath.

A mischievous smirk suddenly enters Trudine’s expression. “Oh? Is that so?” She leans down from the rock. “You know, if you look at something long enough, you start liking that thing. It’s a psychologically proven phenomenon.”

“Do you like me, Cyril?”

Cyril blinks once then twice the subtext of Trudy’s question not crossing his mind. “You’re a pain in my ass but you’re also funny and challenging so yeah I like you.”

Trudine scoffs. “Well, liking leads to loving, and loving leads to fudging,” Trudine spits out. She jumps down from the rock and nearly throws the joint at Aleks. She walks straight up to Cyril, reaching out to wrap an arm around his shoulder. “Sooo, Cyri,” she whispers. “You want to do it?”

Cyril gingerly takes Trudy’s hands off his shoulder and says as diplomatically as possible, “it doesn’t matter what I want because it’s clearly not what you want”

He wonders when the fudge his life turned into a bad romance novel but his words are sincere. He really thinks adding sex to whatever you call what he and Trudy have so far is a terrible idea that’ll probably lead to his death. Not that he’s an expert on this kind of stuff. And it’s probable her words are some kind of test.

He pulls off her hand to notice… a knife clutched in her fingers.

“Oh, what a shame,” Trudine says. “I thought I would’ve got you that time for sure,” she pulls her hand away and slips the knife back into her sleeve. Turns away. “Well, if you know that, than stop looking at me like a miserable puppy, and stop your silly apologizing. We both know we would’ve done the same to each other.”

She walks off towards Jin. “It’s forgotten. It’s fine.”

Cyril shouts at Trudy’s retreating figure “At least let me give you an apology gift later. I made some Borscht with Rita today and I’d like you to have some.”

“Wow, Borscht, you really know the way into a girl’s heart, huh?” Trudine shouts back. “You are a nerd.” She lies down next to the others by the lake.

Cyril stands around for a moment wondering if he’s allowed to be close. Trudy never accepted his apology but then again she didn’t want it. So he takes a seat next to her. He doesn’t say anything just enjoys the warmth of the evening and the cool freshness of the grass and the presence of good company and cheer. He feels full like his heart is going to burst. It’s the closest he’s felt like to belonging for a long time.

Spoiler regarding discussion of borscht as possible dowry :

"You know, Jin, have you ever heard of "shipping", like, the concept and all?" Aleks whispers, watching Trudine talk with Cyril from atop a tall rock.

Jin slowly looks at Aleks, eyes half-lidded, and raises her eyebrows. “What did you say? Sorry, I was zoned out a bit.” Before they can reply, she looks back out at the water.

"Okay, like…" they begin to explain, but don't realize that they're doing it really quietly and confusedly, and also, probably not entirely in the human language. "...and then, you know, no one has to know what happened. No one." After some time, their voice becomes audible again.

In the distance, Trudine smirks as she leers down, asking something inaudible to Cyril. His answer clearly seem to have amused her, as she scoffs loudly, raising her voice loud enough for Aleks to hear. “-and liking leads to loving, and loving leads to fudging,” Trudine says, jumping down from the rock. She tosses the joint towards Aleks.

Aleks grabs it in the air, their attention suddenly back at the situation, and they hear the words "...fudging…" so they naturally listen in to whatever is going on, the joint between their lips, while inhaling in disbelief as to what is going on.

Trudine walks up to Cyril, wrapping an arm around his shoulder. Aleks hears her whisper: “Sooo, Cyri… You want to do it?”

They try to get closer to the conversation, getting more interesting by the moment, when suddenly... they see the knife gleam in the dark, as quickly as it went out and back in, their joint falling down on the ground from surprise. It goes out. They begin questioning if this really happened. But also, they wonder if they can find a bass at this time of the hour. And like, play really sick basslines while this is happening. That's probably a new one.

“It’s forgotten, it’s fine,” they hear Trudine muttering as she pulls away from Cyril and approach Jin and Aleks.

Cyril shouts after her: “At least let me give you an apology gift later. I made some Borscht with Rita today and I’d like you to have some.”

“Wow, Borscht, you really know the way into a girl’s heart, huh?” Trudine shouts back. “You are a nerd.” She takes a seat next to Jin, her voice dropping down to normal conversational tone. “Can you believe guys these days?”

“‘These days?’ I’m sure 200 years ago a pot of borscht would be enough to get you married in some places,” says Jin with a scoff.

"Borscht is actually pretty nice if cooked properly, you know. Don't knock it till you try it." Aleks says, reminiscing. "Also, no, Jin, borscht and at least a cow or two."

“I’m just messing with him,” Trudine says. “I won’t refuse food.” She lies on her back on the grass.

"Uh. Right." Aleks nods, and prays that they don't have to see more of Trudine messing around with people, though they also had a strange feeling that this might not be the case.

After a few moments, Cyril comes around to seat next to them.

Spoiler peace of mind through superior firepower. Not a knife fetishist. :

Trudy slides over closer to Jin by the lake. “Hey,” she says. “Are you sure you are alright? I… I thought I almost killed you,” her voice drops to a whisper. The confident contempt that she had as her expression seem entirely disappeared now--maybe venting helped her restrain it back, or maybe the joint was finally taking an effect.

Jin looks at Trudy, cocking her head slightly to one side. “It wasn’t really you, was it? It was a little, y’know, weird…” She looks down at the grass and pulls out a handful, absentmindedly. “I let my guard down, really. Stuff like that happened all the time back h- in Hell.” She frowns and looks up at Trudy. “That’s pretty weird, huh? To say this place reminds me of Hell? I mean…” She gestures at the peaceful lake.

“I… I don’t even know what that… demon thing did,” Trudy murmurs out. “My mind was a wreck when I suddenly came to. All sorts of… things that I did, except not really me running through my mind. All I could really recall was that I really fudging hated him,” she shivers. “What did he do?”

Jin grimaces, but tries to play it off. “He just threw some trash around about how he was, like, eliciting the evil in our hearts or some nonsense. Demons think they’re so clever because they can… sort-of ‘zero-in’ on evil in mortal souls. Goodness is like, outside their frame of reference.” Jin pats Trudy on the shoulder and beams. “He was a dick, messing with stuff that’s none of his business. Haunting a poor Denny’s, interrupting a nice evening. We made it out alive so, in the end, he didn’t accomplish very much. I assure you that fact, more than anything, is wounding to his shriveled little demonic pride.”

“That’s… that’s good,” Trudine says. From next to her, she overhears Cyril talking to Aleks about how her knife-play was just a way that she expressed sentimentality. She frowns.

Aleks pats him on the back, once more, this time a bit harder. "I mean. Sure, but like, you know, you are kinda getting enabled in mighty dangerous stabby affairs and whatnot. I guess you prefer being stabbed instead of being burnt, huh?" they said, without realizing how annoying they might sound.

“Cyril, you are making me sound like I’m some kind of nutcase with a knife fetish,” Trudine remarks sarcastically. She turns back to Jin. “I… I’m gonna try and make sure that something like this doesn’t happen again, okay?” she says. “Are you… will you still take me with you when you go…” she trails off. “You know, looking for trouble?”

Jin smirks at Trudy. “Duh. Gotta have my girl with me.” She lies down on her back and stares up at the sky. “Don’t worry about what you did in the past. All that matters is what you do in the now.”

Trudine looks away. “Umm… err… what are you saying?” she stammers. “I don’t understand a word of what you are saying… but I think I know what you are saying...” she trails off. “Thanks. For not asking.”

“I know, it’s easier said than done,” Jin sighs, her voice becoming softer. “But really, at the end of a day, the only place it helps to look is forward.”

Trudine closes her eyes. “Man,” she says. “I thought I couldn’t say what needed to be said sober, but now I can’t think straight high. Let’s talk again later… anyways what was I saying? Oh right,” she turns to Aleks. “Don’t worry, I’m not actually a knife fetishst.”

Spoiler friends stab each other all the time. Also, they drag them towards bottling siren songs. :

Aleks kinda moves towards Cyril and pats him. "Uh, you okay, my person?" They can feel that the shock of the situation that occurred kind of took the effect of the joint out of their system. "Like, she had a knife and all, uh huh."

Cyril just kind of grins. How does he explain to this person that what happened was a cancelling of debt and a release of the horrible feeling of another person leaving your life and never coming back.

“Nah I’m fine”, he says to Aleks, “that’s just Trudy’s way of showing she cares. She has a rather unique way of expressing sentiments.”

Might as well let Aleks have their delusions.

Aleks pats him on the back, once more, this time a bit harder. "I mean. Sure, but like, you know, you are kinda getting enabled in mighty dangerous stabby affairs and whatnot. I guess you prefer being stabbed instead of being burnt, huh?" they said, without realizing how annoying they might sound.

“Cyril, you are making me sound like I’m some kind of nutcase with a knife fetish,” Trudine remarks sarcastically. She turns back to Jin, whispers a few more words with her, and then turns back to Aleks. . “Don’t worry, I’m not actually a knife fetishst.”

Aleks, driven by the instinct not to get stabbed in the gut, doesn't say aloud their thoughts that the description of a "knife fetishist" sounds about right when it comes to Trudine.

Cyril has no such restraint. “Not a knife fetishist, huh? I saw the way you were looking at that Excalibur job. You like big old knives don’t you” he says wryly. Trudine throws chunks of grass at him.

"Hm, how did you even know that she was looking at the job like that…? Guess I'm not the only stalker here, I mean, wow, what the hell?" Aleks says, their mouth slightly gasping

Cyril shoots Aleks a glare one that he learned from his mother the kind of glare that says you won’t even hear the knife that slits your throat. “I ran into her by coincidence when picking up the Siren job”

Aleks looks down, driven by something, but then they suddenly light up. "Wait. Siren, you say? Like, beautiful, entangling voice, makes people lose their minds and drown like idiots?"

Cyril nearly breaks into an evil grin at that, but instead settles for a cat licking cream smile. His chosen meat shield was moving according to plan like a puppet. “Yeah”, he says, “that siren. It’ll be a nice beach trip you know? A chance for some sun and fun”

"Or, if we mess up, both of us could drown horribly. You know, it can take a long time to drown, and it'd be really unpleasant if we die. All I was thinking was...If I could get a recording of the Siren's song, it would be an amazing asset to both practice and eventually master." Aleks nods their head. "This almost certainly will be a pain, but it's gonna be worth it. I mean, provided we manage to get a recording."

“Oh, we’ll get the recording alright, especially since we now have a deaf person coming with us”

"...Who?" Aleks asks.

“You” Cyril says, “You can polymorph into a deaf person can’t you?”

"I can, but, well. Two things: One - what is your plan? I have a feeling that I might be walking into some pretty nasty trouble as what essentially is bait. And secondly, not on my own." Aleks says, looking directly into Cyril. "I need a deaf person, preferably willing, preferably alive, who would let me to touch their head at the very least. I'd also want personally to get a better feeling of how they are like, you know, as in the body, but I have also the strangest feeling that this might not be really an option."

“Aleks, aleks, I’ll tell you the plan later, I just need to make some arrangements. Don’t you trust me?” he says Widening his eyes a little bit and looking up. It made him seem younger and more innocent.

"To be fair, until the encounter in the Denny's, I've had literally no interaction with you, and considering the matter at hand, even if I did, I would have the right to be at least slightly mistrustful, you see." Aleks calmly said, the effects of the joint by now completely gone.

“I was just thinking that if I could, theoretically get my hands on a deaf person willing to stay still for you, you could polymorph into that person and be immune to the Siren’s song” Cyril finally reveals.

"Aha. Yeah. That would work. You just need a deaf person. Also, it'd be really great if, you know, they like, aren't opposed to being touched for a certain amount of time." Aleks responds. "Also...What are we gonna do with the Siren? Kill it?"

“Well, we just need to bottle it’s song for the reward. We don’t have to kill the thing. Though I think the business community would appreciate it, given I think the constant driving people to death might ruin the property value of the waterfront.”

Aleks shrugs. "Don't see a reason to end such a...well, relatively innocent creature's life. It probably just got lost between the time-and-space dimensions." and then they ponder a bit. "Wonder if there's a way to get it...somewhere else. I take it your powers of banishment work only with, like, you know, spiritual critters?"

Cyril shrugs, “In order to send a creature to a metaphysical plane of existence, it’s gotta be well, metaphysical.”

"Right, right...here's one hoping we might find someone. Can't be that hard finding a magician or something. We'll figure that part out later, now I think I just wanna chill out after all of this…" they lie down on the ground and stare at the sky.

Spoiler in which the girls ignore conspiratorial whisperings :

A peaceful quiet endures for several minutes, Jin and Trudine not much participating in the furtive whispering of Cyril and Aleks. Jin turns her head to look at Trudy, registering some part of her face’s expression and features in her head, and adjusts herself to move slightly closer.

“Hey,” she says, quietly, whispering to Trudine. “How do you feel right now? Still stressed?”

Trudine turns to glance at Jin. She pulls back slightly upon noticing how close she is. “I… uhhh,” she chews on her lips for a moment. “No, I think I’m feeling a bit better,” she lies. She was still a bit shaken. The smoke helped her relax enough to feel angry enough, but did nothing to help her fears. She glanced backwards away from the group, momentarily wondering if the ghoul they met was truly gone.

“Yeah, everything’s fine here,” she says, grinning to Jin.

Jin purses her lips. “Really? Well…” she turns her head to look up at the sky. “When I feel worried, I find that it helps me to remind myself where I am.” Jin reaches out and touches Trudy’s hand, carefully wrapping her fingers around Trudy’s, and taking a deep breath.

“Just let yourself be here, in the moment,” Jin exhales. “There is nothing except your senses.”

A soft breeze blows over them, rustling leaves in the canopy above. The sound of crickets and bullfrogs becomes louder. The feeling of the grass becomes softer. Jin’s hand radiates a warmth that offsets the chilly wind. With her other hand, Jin points up at the sky, the barely-visible smattering of stars like freckles on a dark face, the moon still bright and shiny and wreathed in clouds like a face wrapped in blankets. The moon is bold in the dark, blue, black sky, and the universe, so distant and large, feels closer somehow.

Jin’s chuckling breaks the spell. “This is my favorite part,” she says, “of being high.”

Trudine’s face is bright red, but she grips onto Jin’s hand in response, so tight that it begins to hurt. “I… I don’t know if I can do that,” she whispers, her voice a low hiss. “I don’t know how others can do it,” she admits. “I… I guess I felt like that before. Moments of clarity, when everything except me and my target seem to fade away to white, where nothing else matters except the blood and…” she stops, laughs nervously.

“I’m sorry, I was ranting for a bit. I just don’t know how you do it. Aren’t you afraid of just… I don’t know, spinning out of control one day? Realize that you’ve done something you can’t take back, and it’s impossible to go back to how it once was before? I… Okay yeah, this is exactly what you told me not to do,” she chuckles.

Jin glances at Trudy, her eyes curious and probing. “If I spent all day thinking about what I’ve lost, I’m not sure I’d have time for anything else.” She chuckles again. “But maybe that’s why I can relax. I know that whatever troubles I had - or have - those will go away some day. And I’ll tell you something else,” she squeezes Trudy’s hand and smirks over at her, “I feel confident in that because I know I’m here right now. With friends. Not forever, but - for now.”

Trudine’s heart thunders against her ribs, so much so that she wonders if it’ll burst from her chest at any moment. “I… uhh.. I don’t know. Cass did always say that I was running forever from my troubles, that they’ll catch up to me one day…” she mumbles. “But you are right, maybe it’s fine, for now,” she squeezes Jin’s hand back. “At the very least, I know I’m real when I’m with you.”

She sinks further into the grass. Maybe, she relaxes more: time doesn’t slow down as she says the words. She recognizes the feeling--the same thing she felt one day in an arid city, seeing a lone flower sprouting amidst the cracked pavement right underneath her raised foot. Stepping aside at the last moment to avoid crushing it, she almost didn’t see the bullet that almost decapitated her.

She thought the flower was very beautiful. And she had to admit that this lake was pretty rad, almost as rad as that flower. “Oh, you sweet talker,” Trudine mumbles. “Look at what you have me saying…”

Jin beams, but says nothing. She looks up at the sky and relaxes, allowing the serenity of the world to fill her senses. It was fine, for now. That’s all that mattered.

NPC

Name:
Francine Lovelace, Head of Public Morals Committee

Height: 187 cm

Place of Birth: Belfast, United Kingdom

Personality: A complete cloud****oolander who nevertheless manages to come off as a harsh disciplinarian due to her 'menacing' natural facial expression, height, and overwhelming powers. Often completely unaware of current events, troublemakers, and mood within the school, alongside, well, most everything that doesn't catch her attention. Elected to Public Morals Committee by reputation alone. Often completely ignores disciplinary reports, much to BETTY's chagrin.

While happy-go-lucky most of the time, she seems to take violence between or against students extremely seriously. Distressingly cavalier about inflicting physical harm to others during her 'interventions.'

Appearance: Due to her love of cosplaying, she walks around the school dressed in various 'fancy getups,' ranging from Airline Stewardess uniform (often mistaken for military uniforms), 18th century nobility outfits, and even once or twice as a ronin. Miraculously, all of these things seem to enhance her reputation and image as a harsh disciplinarian.

Red haired, bright green eyes. Skin so pale, that people sometimes wonder if she's diseased. Rather ungracefully tall, but she tends to wear padded clothes that mitigate this appearence.

She speaks with a hint of Irish accent, which grows stronger when excited.

Background: Francine's powers manifested quite early, when she accidentally bisected the playground jungle gym and the hill behind it during a play session where she pretended a stick she was holding was a sword.

She has since finely honed her powers to a great degree since her childhood years, growing up in various laboratories and specialized schools for extremely dangerous metahumans. Ever since her arrival in Tyler Roman, her 'resting jerkwad' face and naturally menacing smile made her well known throughout the school body. Her impeccable study ethics as well as her reputation as a 'harsh disciplinarian who grew up in military facilities' drew attention of the School President, who appointed her a member of the Public Morals Committee.

Talents: Impeccable study habits.

Athleticism.

Cosplaying.

Cooking

Sewing/Tayloring

Can't sing to the point that it seems to be a talent.

Powers: Cut the Strings, Threat Level: 1

Extreme, physics defiant skill with the blade, combined with extremely fine, inhuman perception of reality.

Objects that she has cut before:
  1. Tofu
  2. Daikon
  3. Cabbages
  4. Carrots
  5. Herself
  6. Blocks of wood
  7. Metal Jungle Gym
  8. A mountain
  9. Clothes (without harming the person wearing it)
  10. A single page from a closed book (without touching or opening the rest of the book)
  11. Train of thought
  12. An atom
  13. Space
  14. Universal Strings
She uses it to julienne vegetables and cut clothes.

Clubs: Public Morals Committee

"You have excellent tastes in underwear"
"I wonder what my Twitter followers would make of your underwear drawer"
"Time flies, doesn't it?"​
Name
Eric Parker​
Place of Birth
San Francisco, CA​
Height
1.82 meters​
Weight
86.2 kg​
Appearance & Costume
Blonde, Caucasian. Red eyes. Very physically fit.​
Personality
Competitve. Confident, to the point of cocky. Perverted. Natural leader. Charismatic
Background
Eric was born to a wealthy family who made their fortunes in the wild west of the Silicoln Valley. His parents had little time for him, but they did make sure to give him some excellent tutors, particularly in computer science. In middle school, he used his talents in both time and computers to perform dangerous crimes without being caught; however, one incident that DID get caught caused a major scandal within the family; court records are sealed, but now, Eric finds himself in New Jersey at Tyler Roman Academy with a strange set of court orders requiring specific court
Talents
Athleticism, Lockpicking, Hacking, Boxing, and Knives.​

Ability
Threat Level: 1
Ability Name: Just in time

In layman's terms (ie: you), Eric can freeze time, for as long as he can hold his breath.

In a more detailed descrpition, Eric can translate himself into a different position in the same reference frame of reality, spreading himself out into a probability wave in the same reference frame, which then collapses into his 'real location' upon Eric canceling the ability.

Essentially, once he freezes time, he functionally exists everywhere within the range that he can walk to in his limited time

As soon as he unfreezes, actions that he took within that time resolve themselves and he collapses into his new location.

The time limit is strictly limited by how long he can hold his breath; by experimenting with pure oxygen prior to his attempt, he can hold his breath up to 25~ minutes. Normally, he is limited to around 2-3 minutes on his first attempt; on a second attempt, or if he is physically exerted, he can do at best 20-30 seconds.
Electives
Combat Gymnastics, Ethics of Heroism (court ordered), Tactics, Fourth Dimension Physics​

Club(s)
Computer Club, sometimes a member of the Newspaper club

Other
Blood Type: AB
Allergic to cats but likes them!
Has a Twitter account

Last edited:
NPC Submission
Spoiler :

Stephen Azwer AKA "Daeva"
"Just as there isn't any problem that can't be solved by being right, there isn't any problem that can't be solved by money."

Birthplace: Mosul, Iraq

Appearence: A businessman of Middle-Eastern appearance and possibly human(oid) origin. Always appears whilst wearing bunch of bootleg branded goods. He wears a replica Rolex, bootleg Hugo Boss suit, uses a knock-off iPhone, etc.

People who talk with him report how insincere and 'fake' he appears: words that he takes as compliments.

He seems to be wealthy, earning most of his income from 'legitimate' businesses such as night clubs, bars, and mobile game development (with lots of microtranscations).

"Even if the truth is exactly what you suspect it is, it may still be completely and utterly worthless."

Personality: Stephen loves money to an obsessive degree, and is willing to regularly risk himself and others (against their will) for further acquisitions. He generally lives an austere life, and puts up appearances to facilitate acquisition of money. Despite this, it appears as if he doesn't let his quest for further acquisitions consume him totally. He is perfectly willing to make deals and cut his losses when necessary.

As a villain, he keeps his crimes small to a comically petty degree, such as scamming children and unwary tourists with illusions, toys, and magical spells, or mugging middle-schoolers for pocket change, allowing him to fly under most people's radar despite his preternatural abilities. The fact that his petty crimes and scams occasionally result in great personal suffering to his victims does not seem to concern him.

While he identifies as atheist who 'does not believe in the supernatural,' he often quotes from religious scriptures to make his points and makes deals with demonic and divine entities around the world for his work.

He has a stupid sense of pride, and often takes warnings and restrictions as a challenge rather than obstacles.

Only thing he appears to care about other than money is Clover Sauer, with whom he had a 'pretend relationship' with, and Cassandra Forthright, whom he considers his 'fake daughter.' It appears as if Cass 'inherited' a few personality traits from Stephen.

"Never believe. Always doubt."

Background: Stephen Azwer himself is uncertain as to who he is and why he does the things that he feels must do. This does not fill him with anxiety or curiosity.

He travels around the world, making deals with spirits, ghosts, gods, and other preternatural beings or scamming them for their powers. If he has a word to describe himself, it would be a "Daeva." He does not know why he terms himself this way, and doesn't really give it much thought.

He made his money years ago through running a successful series of bars, nightclubs, and also investing early into mobile companies during the nineties. Despite this, he lives in a small townhouse in the outskirts of Grand Rapids, occasionally visiting larger cities for business and to run scams and cons.

He encountered Clover Sauer during her college years sometime before she manifested her resurrective immortality, even beginning a short romantic relationship that ended after Clover was struck by a lightning bolt, revealing his powers and starting his career as a heroic knight. As a minor petty villain, "Daeva," Stephen Azwer has mostly an antagonistic relationship with Blitzen, the hero, although they seem to still share a strange friendship as Stephen Azwer and Clover Sauer.

He helped Clover Sauer 'socialize' Trudine during the one year the girl spent under his supervision, encountering Cassandra Forthright in the process.

He is a major donor to the modern day Hero Industry and one of the backers of VIGIA.

......................................................................................................................................................
Powers and Talents: Rules of Acquisition (Threat Level: 3)

With the target's express, uncoerced permission given while the target is in mostly normal/baseline state of mind, Stephen can permanently strip the target of their meta-human or preternatural powers. Stephen can then 'sell' portions or totality of this powers to others, essentially 'gifting' them with meta-human abilities. Stephen cannot use any of the powers that he takes this way himself.

Smoke and Mirrors (Threat Level 2)

Stephen Azwer is a very capable sorcerer capable of dealing with spirits, ghosts and minor gods around the world to work magical powers and supernatural abilities. He calls these smoke and mirrors, as he does not believe in the actual existence of spirits, ghosts, and gods, and considering the results that he bring forth mere 'mass hysteria.'

Name: [The sound of rusty clanking gears turning in the rot and ruin of civilization] aka Jeff

Weight: the physical construct of Jeff is 150 kilos

Height: 6 feet

Gender: Jeff doesn’t really have a gender as humans understand it but because of male privilege Jeff presents as a he

Appearance and Costume: Jeff actually looks like a massive cosmic horror on a galactic scale with a writhing mass of tentacles but it’s impossible to interact with anyone this way so he cuts off his tentacles to form a Jeff construct - it’s shoddy work and anyone can tell right away it’s just a few tentacles with a trench coat and a fedora but if they’re people who shouldn’t know ie regular humans, Jeff has a glamor to make them not notice

Personality: Jeff is a galactic sized cosmic horror with street thug level goals. To Jeff the prime goal is to exist. He also likes playing the merchant as a side game to the primary goal but he will only ever risk other’s lives for a good deal, not his own (but there is very little that can actually kill him). He will cut a deal with anybody if it helps him live even one second longer and will betray anyone as soon as it is convenient to do so. Jeff does not understand anything higher than this - ideals, loyalty, compassion these are all meaningless concepts to him.The closest thing Jeff has to an ideal is “Waste not Want not”. If something is useful it should be used. It fundamentally limits his understanding of humanity and his ability to cut deals. Jeff imposes rules on himself, creating a game out of his merchant side business, and trying to make himself useful to those who can harm him collecting a wide range of favors and an eclectic array of goods. Jeff’s goods are all top notch - he wouldn’t want to accidentally piss the wrong person off and it’s part of the game. Jeff is a naturally deceitful person - he lies about and misdirects about his intentions all the time, holding his cards close to his chest.

Background: Jeff has existed since the beginning and will exist until the end. In his true form he’s drifted from dimension to dimension until settling in this one but because he exists in such a massive scale he also exists simultaneously in many other dimensions. His interactions with Earth cane about a millennial ago during the reign of King Arthur. Why? Only Jeff knows and he doesn’t like to talk about it. Perhaps it was an after effect of Excalibur which reached even Jeff and humanized him. Maybe it was loneliness. Maybe it was a feeling incomprehensible to us lesser beings. Jeff and Merlin quickly found themselves at odds. It was not because of their differing ideals- Jeff did not hate Arthur for his ideals, he was merely confused by them. No fundamentally, it was because Camelot was a thing that should not exist, and somehow Merlin had willed it into being with Excalibur. From then on Jeff has wandered the earth peddling magical goods, building a network of middlemen and being a middleman himself for alot of unsavory characters. He deals with demons, fallen angels, djinn, extra dimensional beings and things that fall into the category of Other. His monetary wealth mainly comes financial services, where he absolutely indulges in fraud, and from occult shops which have a steady stream of high paying customers due to their good reputation and attract alot of high society power brokers.

Ability:

Mind control: Sticking his tentacles through someone’s ears and into their brains allows him to mind control them. They will have no idea what happens while under Jeff’s control and it must be undertaken willingly

Meat puppets: Using his tentacles Jeff can create minions to operate in various places for him. He can be in virtually limitless places at once, but there’s usually only one Jeff body active at a time

Web of Choices: Jeff can see the infinite interaction of choices and how these choices interact to create “the future”. Because Jeff has a limited understanding of what drives those choices, and even less interest in things not having to do with his immediate survival or game, he cannot take full advantage of this power.

Other:

Jeff despises things that are useless

Jeff has plans for Cyril that are definitely not in Cyril’s best interest.

As players in the magical merchant game, Jeff and Stephen know each other. Stephen is hardly a reliable supplier of quality, but Jeff has found uses for him by dangling obscene amounts of money

His laugh sounds like [the screaming into a void with the monster in your screaming with you until the voice in your head drowns out your actual screams and you can’t tell where you end and the monster begins and your depravities finally, finally become one]

Last edited:
[collab between me and Jackel]

Benino was an unfortunate man. He had gone deaf in his youth due to an unknown disease, and had spent the rest of his life struggling to make do. His family couldn’t afford college, so he ended up dropping out of high school and getting a minimum wage job. His most recent fudge up involved an investment scheme he made with his friend, which he borrowed money from one of the most ruthless loan sharks “The Bonebreaker” for. This turned out to be a big mistake, as the investment scheme fell apart, and Benino was left cold. All he could do now was beg for mercy from the man who had none.

The Bonebreaker sat on an elegant mahogany chair while wearing a tastefully expensive Ermenegildo Zegna suit. Somehow the class of his surroundings did nothing to less the intimidation delivered by the stocky man’s heavy set build and bulldog face.

“So” the Bone Breaker said, “You have come here to beg me mercy for the thirty thousand dollars you owe, yes?” He had a man to his right sign in ASL so that Benino could understand.

“Yes sir, I’m so sorry, I will pay you back someday, I just need time. Please I have parents to take care of!” Benino signs back, his motions getting frantic as he gets more desperate.

The Bone Breaker stares at him and there is a tense moment of silence, which is broken by the sounds of a scream echoing through the house.

“Normally, I would subject you to the treatment my other guest is experiencing, but it seems I have a use for you, a favor you can do for me” the Bone Breaker says grinning evilly.

“Anything, anything at all”

“I’m glad to hear you say. Please enjoy a trip to Bairfield and help out my friend the necromancer alright?”

With those words, two of the Bone Breaker’s henchman took Benino and started dragging him away to be stuffed in a box and mailed to Cyril, with the note, Here are the goods. I hope the debt is repaid

"So is this him?" Aleks looked over at the person Cyril brought.

“Yeah. You said you needed a live deaf person so I got a live deaf person”

"Ah. Well. I have a feeling this might be one of those times where curiosity is an unnecessary virtue, isn't it?" Aleks nods and takes a further look at him. "Right...Say, do you happen to carry a spare pair of clothes? I am fairly sure that he's shorter than me."

“There’s no need to worry Aleks, Benino agreed to this, didn’t you?”

Benino nods looking very nervous, but most of his fear has vanished upon being explained what was being asked of him (through some very poorly done ASL on Cyril’s part).

“Also I don’t, but I’m sure we can buy you something, I have some cash from my part time job, and Benino has the same measurements” Cyril says.

"Right on. Well, then. Gentlemen, if you could please shut your eyes while I'm doing this. Not only I'll be naked, but also, I'm pretty sure that you don't want to see the interim forms I take during the transformation. The VIGIA person that found me called them "profoundly disturbing" and mentioned they'll stay with him until he dies." Aleks looks at Benino and smiles friendly. "This shouldn't take too long. Probably. Uh, if he stays still."

Cyril tries to sign all of this to Benino, but while he learned the basic of ASL as his prepwork, he was mostly self taught, so all Benino understood was “Close eyes. Won’t take long. Hold still”

Which was enough.

Once both men closed their eyes, Aleks started taking off their clothes, and then, began to slowly run their hands over Benino's features. It wasn't really erotic to them, to be fair. It was just, well, art. Kind of like how painters doing nude models in art school weren't exactly thinking about how hot it might be and rather focused on, well, you know, learning the human anatomy. So, analogously to this, Aleks first went over Benino's head, awkwardly rubbing his neck and his cheeks. Then, more importantly, the ears and their shape; they had to, ah, well, absorb the nature of the deafness, so as to say. Aleks never quite understood how it really clicked, but hey, it worked, so who really cares...Eventually, they moved down onto Benino's arms, getting a sense of their dimensions, how thin and long they were.

Afterwards, the body, as they awkwardly ran their fingers over his chest and his back. Truth to be told, this was Aleks' first time quite getting such an opportunity; honestly, they've always dreamed of such an event occurring, but now with it actually happening, they couldn't help but feel overwhelmed a bit. So they rushed down through the body, wondering how the hell didn't Benino open his eyes already, and finally, finished off everything as they ran their hands over his toes.

This was the hard part. Or maybe the harder part. Because now their mind was filled with all of this information, as the sensation of the body they just touched was screaming to take control and morph into them. At last, they got what they wanted - well, sort of - and now, it was the moment of the truth. Aleks closed their eyes. All of the anthropomorphic fields that they've had absorbed in the past were "there", in a way. It was as if a chorus of faces, bodies, arms, legs in all different shapes and forms screamed at them - "pick me! Me! Me!". But this was a careful, and controlled process. A sculptor knows how to chisel out and mold the marble, and a tailor knows which cloth and how to sew together… They ignored all of the fields that were "screaming", even that of their own, and chose the one that they just absorbed from Benino.

Their body shivered, and for a single moment, they were breathless, bloodless, even brainless; nonexisting as anything but a piece of human clay that their will was creating. Of course, various other shapes just tried to come in and take place, if only for a moment, but then again they were waved away, until finally, Aleks was Benino; or at least, in his shape. They breathed once or twice, trying to adjust to the new (as temporary as it was) reality, and then said with a slightly ragged voice:

"HEY, YOU CAN OPEN YOUR EYES!" they yelled, while covering themselves with their own clothes, not realizing that they're, well, now deaf. Which was a strange feeling, as they have never sensed such a...quietness. It was ominous, but also, in a certain kind of peacefulness that they haven't felt...ever.

Benino opened his eyes to see a perfect copy of himself and then promptly fainted. Cyril was made of stronger stuff. He gave Aleks a thumbs up and signed “I knew you could do it” to them.

Aleks just nodded, understanding only the thumbs-up. Then they gesticulated at the clothes that were covering them up. And then scribbling something on their hand with a finger.

Cyril understands almost immediately and pulls out a pen and piece of paper from somewhere, and writes, “You don’t know sign language do you?”

He hands the paper to Aleks.

"No, no I don't." they say. "You know, in retrospect, this might've been a slight oversight…"

Cyril sighs, and writes, “Give me your phone number, this’ll be more convenient if we text”

"Oh! Right on. Uh, it's…" Aleks gets their phone number out of their pocket and starts reading it out. "And what's yours?"

Cyril punches it into his phone number, then texts Aleks

There
This’ll make things more convenient
We need to get you better fitting clothes

Yes, and would best hurry
We should be optimally done in six hours or so
It's not too far from the school, right?​

Just a 1/ hour drive
Also we should probably also take care of the fainted deaf guy
Feels kind of wrong to leave him lying on the floor

Yeah. Uh. Guess we could order takeout for him.
And uhh. Well. Hm. Think we should lock the door after it comes.
I have a spare key for situations like these, shouldn't be a problem to open it.

Cyril dragged Benino onto a bed while Aleks ordered takeout.

Oh. Right. Let's hope my roommate won't come any time soon…
Can you give me the paper for a bit?

Cyril hands Aleks the paper and pen so he can leave a note

Aleks puts it on Benino's clothes, and writes down: "Dear Marble. This is Benino. He is a good person. Probably. I didn't ask questions. What matters is, do not be concerned if you find him lying on the floor or going about in the room. He's also deaf. Oh and don't let him outside of the room, will ya? He's not really kidnapped, or anything, because this is for a Quest and you know how these things are, but all I'm saying is, there's nothing to be worried about. I'll tell you all about it when I return! ~Aleks.

You really should stop making it sound worse than it is
He’s here because it beats the alternative
We’re helping him
Like real heroes

I love being a hero.
And one of the most heroic things you can do is to never question the methods of your helpers.
Right?

True
Let’s go
Do you know how to drive?
And have a car?

Well, I have a...sort of a license.
But not a car.
My parents drove me here.
So if you can find me a car I can sort of help you with this.

At that Cyril let’s out a sigh of annoyance.

My mom always said I got into enough trouble without a car.
It’s time to face my old enemy

THE BUS

Aw, come on.
Public transportation is mostly okay until they find out you're intersex.
Then it gets slightly worse.

And so the two boys, or rather one boy and one … person presenting as an adult man get on the first bus they can find to Bay Head. The ride is silent, with Aleks focused on maintaining the shape and Cyril, not a conversationalist at the best of times was now made so uncomfortable by the bus his body language was screaming to not approach. And so they reached Bayhead beach.

It was strangely empty - which was strange, Cyril would expect families to be playing and children laughing (a sound he had no idea why anyone was enchanted with, children suck) but no. He then hears the faint sound of *something* and feels a weak compulsion to move towards to it. Cyril stops himself. Oh right, Siren. Cyril puts his noise cancelling earplugs in.

Okay.
How are we gonna bottle this thing?
Hopefully not an actual bottle, but instead a recording.

Our phones?
Also I do have a magic bottle from Jeff, so if you could capture some sound in that, that’d be helpful

Cyril does not mention to Aleks that Jeff will probably use the bottled siren song to be a mystical international drug dealer. Probably best to leave that detail out.

What? That's...stupid.
No, let's use our phones.
I want a recording myself, anyway.
Would be pretty swell to attract people like that, eh?

I mean we use both.
If you use a recording on your phone, how will you get Jeff anything?

...who is even Jeff?
You mentioned nothing about a third party!

The guy who’s flyer the job was on?
You seriously never paid attention to those things?
I spent hours handing them out!

To be honest, I was more focused on the prospect of trapping a siren's call.
Isn't Jeff some kinda...uh...intradimensional interloper who has no place in our reality?
I mean, you could say that about half of the people here, but, like…

Yes
he’s a cosmic horror who fundamentally is incapable of caring about other people
but he also has good magic items
Finish this job and I could afford a necromancer’s amulet
You know what that mean?
Undead Army!

As usual, it turns out that it is the people that are from our dimension that are the worst.
Then again, I guess I'm the one who wants to absorb a siren's call for my own devices.
So, whatever.
Hand me the bottle and let's go.

Cyril hands Aleks the bottle. Then texts

I think it’s probably for the best you do the next part alone
Even with these headphones I’m still vulnerable to the call
You my friend tho, are completely and utterly deaf

I heard that sirens are, like, also really beautiful.
It's a package deal or something.
Sure would be nice if I could get close enough…
Alas, it'd be the end of me, and I actually like me most of the time.

Some things are beautiful because they can never be obtained

Then they begin walking towards the coast, with each step getting closer to the goal.

Okay, but if we, like, had a wizard on our side
And teleportation spell
We could just have it right in front of us, er, well, me, but anyway.
I think the beauty really only works on sailors,
I mean, like, imagine being stranded at sea only with you and other ugly burly men like you.
That'd probably mess with anyone
.​

Aleks reached the coast. Upon a rock out in the sea, the Siren stood, with half of its body that of a fish, and the top half of it, that of a beautiful human woman...though, as she opened her mouth, Aleks thought that most women don't have teeth that sharp. A sound came from her - Aleks wouldn't know what it was - and then the Siren stared evilly into their eyes. The evilness was replaced by confusion, as instead of her hapless victim walking towards their doom, Aleks took out their bottle out and her phone, set to record everything that it sung.

The confusion was slowly being replaced with anger, as the Siren started to realize what's going on. She was being recorded! She swiftly swam forwards to where Aleks was, right where the waves met the coast. They swiftly moved away, but the Siren struck out with her tail, managing to knock them slightly off balance into the water. Aleks barely avoided falling into it, and they jumped onto the coast. There was no more opening of the mouth from the siren, so they put their phone into the pocket, and stared down the Siren, perhaps even challenging it…

The Siren opened her mouth again, but this time, some kind of a wind brushed against them at extreme speeds, hitting them into the chest, which made Aleks fall down on the ground. Then, barely on the edge of the water, the tail of hers trying to drag her into the depths of the ocean. It was time to do something more drastic...Aleks' hands sprung out, extending towards the Siren, and managing to wrap themselves like a knot around it. As she bit their hands, they did a Herculean effort to drag her over, sensing how the shape of Benito is slowly falling apart.

Now the Siren was almost pressed to their body, doing its earnest to break free, as Aleks could feel their grasp was slowly breaking apart...and then, they also could hear something. Aleks was becoming Aleks once more; Benito was starting to disappear, and the clothes they wore were starting to make sounds even worse than the ones that the choking Siren was making. In a last effort of desperation, they extended their legs to wrap around the body of hers, depriving her of any oxygen…

It took at least ten minutes for Aleks to realize that the Siren had stopped struggling. Their body was a mess. Overextended and strained. And also kinda shapeless, in a sense. They breathed, in and out. The heavy corpse of the Siren was upon them, pressing down and, well, wrapped around. Aleks immediately returned to their "normal" shape, which also led to their jeans and shirt ripping with a loud sound. The corpse of the Siren fell down on the sand with a wet plopping sound.

Son of a…
Fuc...king….
Cyril.
I am stuck with a dead Siren next to me.
And more importantly, I am more or less naked.
Mission successful. Kinda.

Ooh kinky
[Kissy face emoji]
[Eggplant emoji]

Nothing kinky about a Siren trying to kill you.
But it might interest you I choked it to death.
Anyway.
Let's hope the recording is long enough.
Also, thankfully, my jeans are merely now daisy dukes
.​

Aleks got up, then they took a picture of the dead Siren with them next to it, hopefully which would be good enough proof for the local businesses in the area to reward them monetarily. Then, with their clothes in a mess which, by some incredibly lucky happenstance, did not reveal anything that Aleks wouldn't want to show, went back to Cyril, victoriously holding out the bottle and the phone they recorded this on.

Cyril takes the bottle and begins walking to the bus station.

“Thanks” he says to Aleks, out loud for the first time in this entire endeavour.

Aleks proved useful, didn’t ask alot of questions and over all wasn’t as annoying as he’d appeared on first meeting.

They nod. "Hey. Wanna go out jeans shopping later on? With this, my jeans supply, and denim clothing in general is very much so at a critical level, and you know, uhh, always good to do things with a friend, you know? This wouldn't have happened without someone else helping me, and all." then Aleks says awkwardly.

At the word friend, Cyril turned to Aleks, wide eyed in shock. “We’re ,,, friends” he asks awkwardly. No one’s ever really sought out Cyril to be friends with. Well Cyril didn’t have friends period. Only Trudy and he was the one approaching her.

"I mean. Well. Let's put it this way. You made my life a lot, uh, more easier. Like, well, you got me a person to, uh, shapeshift into. My alternatives until that were, well, you know, either begging for someone to give me their life-sized doll, or to grope statues." they look into his eyes. "So I'm grateful, even if I realize that helping me out isn't really why you did this."

Cyril nods his head at that. “All right then. I’ll go jean shopping with you. Friend” A smile breaks out on his face at the word.

“I bet we can get a discount from the Kohl’s nearby. We did slay the Siren after all.”

Aleks shakes his hand and responds to his smile. "Exactly! Then you'll be introduced into the world of the denim and denim by-products. And jeans. And jean skirts. And jean skirts on jeans."

THE END?

Coming to the Academy
A collaboration between Seon and myself

“This is such a waste of a morning,” the boy with green hair and wearing a green beanie moaned as he stood upon the railway platform. His hair was curly, messy, and generally, he looked like a hobo, but he was wearing the Tyler Roman Uniform, so others on the platform gave him a wide berth. All except for the girl standing by his side.

The girl is wearing a purple wig, a newsboy cap, and a caped tweed coat that the boy is sure that she thinks makes her ‘look like a proper reporter,’ but only ends up making her look like a Sherlock Holmes cosplayer. There’s thick, square-frame spectacles resting on her nose. Her face, with freckles, wide, almost-sparkling eyes, aerodyne chin, and surgical cheekbones, is something which may perhaps be described as ‘cute,’ but probably not anything ever described as ‘beautiful.’ Summer is still only recently ended, and the air is still warm and humid.

Underneath that coat, the boy is sure that the girl is still wearing her standard Tyler Roman Uniform. Connie always had difficulty of imagining how Cassandra coped with the heat while wearing clothing in layers, but somehow, Cassandra always seemed to be utterly immune to the heat.

“Oh he’ll be here,” Cassandra says with absolute certainty. “I can sense it.”

Connie turns his face away so that she doesn’t see him rolling his eyes. A thought suddenly occurs to him. “Hang on a minute, we have no idea what the guy even looks like!” he says. “What if we talk to the wrong person by mistake?”

“I’ll know when I see him,” Cassandra says, also with absolute certainty.

“Oh, well, if you say s-”

“Cause I totally jacked his files from the principal’s office,” Cassandra says, suddenly producing a file as if from thin air. Connie’s jaw drops. He leaps up to grab at it, falling pathetically short as she raises it up into the air.

“Cass, you damned *****, you’ve finally gone mad!” Connie screams, trying to swat the file out of Cass’s grip.

“Eric Parker!” Cass reads out loud. “Blond hair! 182 cms… oh horsehocky, this can be anyone! There’s not even a photo!”

“You didn’t have to steal it!” Connie says, pounding at Cass’s chest. It feels like punching at an armored plate--hard, immovable, and without any extraneous curves. “You could have just looked at it and realized how useless it was! It’s just the school’s permanent record, not his criminal records! I don’t care if you run a newspaper, there are ethics you have to adhere to! I shouldn’t hang out with you!”

Cass drops to her knees comically, clutching at her heart. “Damn it Connie,” she says. “I’m a terrible journalist!”

“Wow, hey,” Connie says, reassuring her, patting at her back as he gently coaxes Cass to part with the records.

“No, you aren’t. You are just a terrible, awful human being.”

The train arrives, and Cass manages to catch a glimpse of someone with blond hair through the window. “Hey, who’s that?” she says. “Hmm?” Connie says, looking aside to the train. “Oh, I don’t know.”

As the door to the train opens, and the tall blond boy steps out onto the platform, Cass is there up in his face within a microsecond, appearing like a blur with over-enthusiastic working grin and a pen. “Heeeey!” she says, craning slightly upward. “Are you Eric Parker?”

Eric, already annoyed from the horrible train service, mustered the most intimidating glare he could give. He attempted to think of an insult, thought better of it, and simply said “No” as he walked towards the street.

With a surprising quickness though, Cass appeared at his side, her face inches away from his own. “Oh, oh, oh!” she says, a mischievous grin on her face. “Was that look supposed to be intimidating? Was that supposed to be scary, mister? Well, I mmpf!”

Connie rushes to her side, clasping a hand over her mouth. “Sorry, sorry,” he says as the purple-haired girl struggles. “We were just looking for somebody. To show him around the school. It’s a volunteer thing… are you Eric Parker, by any chance? Coming to Tyler Roman?”

Eric sighed; already the new school was turning into a hassle. Supposedly the judge had ordered his records sealed, but that hardly meant anything in this day and age. He studied them briefly; was either of them a technopath perhaps? To Eric, they both had a very...quirky vibe to them, and if Eric had learned anything over the past few months, these were exactly the sort of people to avoid. Especially if he wanted a peaceful high school life which, to be fair, Eric hadn’t quite decided on yet.

He looked down on the girl, wearing the heavy, birth control glasses before sighing “Sorry, you have the wrong guy”. He held his breath for but a second so that he could slip past the annoying girl as he searched on his phone, hoping the town had a store with a better wine selection than the local Walbert Mart he had seen on the train ride in.

Defying expectations, the girl’s face suddenly shows up right in front of his face merely seconds afterwards, upside down. The girl’s actually hanging down from the rafters, gripping onto the beams above with her feet.

There wasn’t any sound. She’s just suddenly there. “Oh, come on, now we know that you have to be the new guy!” she says, grinning. Connie’s heavy footsteps catch up from behind. “I hate it when you do that, Cass,” he says, panting.

“Hi hi!” Cass fast talks while she has the advantage. “I’m Cass! Cassandra Forthright! Believe it or not as to that being my actual name. I run the school newspaper!”

“It’s more like an email newsletter,” Connie says, still panting slightly.

“That’s Connie, my tech guy and assistant,” Cass says.

“I’m more like her slave.”

“Look, you being here, being you, being new...” she lets go of the rafter, spins around mid-air to land on her feet. “Presents an opportunity for both of us…” she casually wraps an arm around Eric’s shoulder.

Eric was taken aback by the girl’s sudden reappearance, and his eyes darted between Connie and Cass. They both came off as bumbling, almost comical, but they both seemed to be a bit more than either was letting on.

"Kinky" as he brushes Cass off his shoulder. But he chuckled to himself. "Fine yes, you're right. I'm Eric. The new guy. What, are you here for an interview?"

“Of course! I wanted to write an article about Tyler Roman, from the viewpoint of a transfer student suddenly
thrusted in amidst us!” Cass, says, grinning and darting just a bit back. “You’ve got the goods, and we’ve got the know-how! We’ll give you a tour of the school, if you agree to just a few of our questions!”

“Actually,” Connie says. “We have to give him the tour anyways. The School AI demands that we fill our volunteer hours for the last, uh, trouble.”

“Shut uppppp~” Cass says, plugging her ears. “Okay fine,” she says. “We’ll include all the details of the tour if you agree to our questions! Locations like the Nurse’s Office. Girl’s Locker Room. Classrooms that are almost never occupied and thus almost always empty. Storage rooms that nobody bothers checking. The music room. You know, places that tickle the boy’s fantasies!”

“Cass!” Connie says, exasperated. “You are just gonna scare this one away too!”

Ignoring him, Cass leans up to Eric. “Well, you’ll be popular, for sure,” she whispers. “I would suggest you use the space above the grand piano to good use.”

“CASS!” Connie cries out. “Ignore her, she’s kinda insane.”

Eric was almost dumbfounded. It was some sort of Jekyll and Hyde skit that found its way into the real world. He could feel Cass’ breath on his ear, a sensation that felt deeply uncomfortable for Eric. But...if he got what she was implying….He licked his lips thoughtfully as he said ”Well….tonight? Sure, I guess. But you’d need to take off the glasses.”

“Eh?” she takes a step back, repelled as if burned by electrified wire. One of her hand instinctively grabs at the edge of her glasses. “What?”

This time it was Eric’s turn to advance. Holding his breath, he took her glasses and thought for a moment. Cute he thought. He pushed her slightly, causing her to fall into his arms. He breathed once more and gave Cass a devious smile “Careful now, don’t fall for me too quickly.”

“Eh? Eh?” Cass manages to stammer out. “Connie, help!”

Connie doesn’t help. He makes a sadistic smirk instead. “Conniiiiiiiiie!”

Cass rolls out of Eric’s arm, pushing against his shoulder for leverage. Falling onto the ground with a yelp, she quickly gets back on her feet and hops slightly away from Eric. “Oof, you son of a *****,” she mutters. “That was a good punch, I felt that.”

“Are you suddenly pretending as if you guys had a shounen fight instead now, Cass?” Connie quips. “You shut up!” Cass shoots back. She takes out a pen and notepad, her face still bright red. She doesn’t seem to have
noticed that she’s not wearing her glasses.

“So, uh, Eric,” she says. “I’m guessing that you are agreeing to answer just a few questions?”

Eric smiled sweetly, brushing her face gently. “I suppose I could agree to a feww questions before our little rendez vous. Ask away, my dear.”

“Fweeeh--I mean,” Cass coughs a little, bats away Eric’s hand. “H-hey!” she says, pointing grandly towards the Tyler Roman Academy, in the distance. “What is your first impression of the academy like? Does it look dangerous to you? Crime infested?”

Eric raised his eyes slightly. “I haven’t even been to the campus yet actually. But you guys sometimes end up trending on Tweeter...probably as dangerous as any school with some high level supers, right? But for crimes...I haven’t heard anything like that. Are there any I need to be worried about?”

“I see, I see,” Cass says, furiously writing something on her notepad, seemingly having forgotten her discomfort. “Okay cool, first things first,” she says, completely ignoring Eric’s question. “Let’s begin the tour of the school! We can walk as we talk, right?”

She begins to walk towards the direction of the exit of the railway platform. Connie’s face is still frozen in a smirk. “Never seen her squirm like that before,” he says to Eric, lagging a bit behind. “Not when she’s wearing that, anyways. Thanks for showing me something funny,” he taps at his head before walking ahead to join Cass.

Eric snickered “Yes Ma’am” he said, flashing a smile at Connie. “Let’s see this den of crime! And…” he said with another snicker “the nurse’s room...”

As they walk along the path towards the school, Cass throws another question. “So, where are you from? Big city? Small town? Middle of nowhere?”

“San Francisco” said Eric, as he took in the sights of the admittedly impressive campus.

“That’s the girl’s dorm,” Connie interjects, pointing across a field towards a newer, more modern building compared to the rest of the town and the academy campus. “Well, not the only one, but the biggest one anyways that’s not co-ed. It’s a pretty big campus.”

“Ahh” said Eric. He turned to Cass “Is that where you live?”

Cass shoots back a glare, before making a practiced grin. “Maybe if you answer my questions, I’ll answer yours?” she suggests.

Eric gave a mock bow, flashing a steely grin “I’m at your disposal.” He didn’t know why, but he found it particularly amusing to tease this girl.

Cass scoffs. “Excellent!” she says. “You said you lived in San Francisco? Big city? Wonderful, wonderful.
Spectacular, even. Superb!” she scribbled down something more in her notepad.

“There are multiple infirmaries and nurse’s offices located around the campus,” Connie notes. “There’s one in the main building, of course, but there’s also an infirmary close to the dorms for more serious cases like broken bones.”

“Or losing a few limbs, it happens,” Cass says. “So as for my next question, Eric I… oh, excuse me,” as she approaches the door to the Academy’s main door, she stands aside to let someone inside exit first. The girl that emerges is wearing what appears to be military uniform, complete with a saber, standing tall even over Eric.

Her long red hair trailing behind her, she looks absolutely stunning. Radiant even. At least from the sides. From the front, her expression is fierce and menacing, as if eyeing insects rather than fellow humans.

The girl glares at Eric and Connie for a few seconds before turning to Cass. She points at the reporter’s newsboy cap and caped coat. “You are wearing… You will see me at eight in room 333, main building,” she says simply. She turns and walks away.

“I’m gonna get killed,” Cass mutters out when she’s out of earsight, knees weak, eyes a deep void. “I’m gonna walk in that room and she’ll take my head off.”

“Can I have your desk if you die?” Connie says. “But uh… maybe it won’t be so bad!”

Eric’s eyes continued to follow the girl, hypnotized by her swaying hips. He almost wanted to run after her, stop time, and...well...no, not for now he decided, sighing. He turned to Cass with a quizzical look, asking “Who was that? And why does she want to uhh...meet? With you?”

“That was the public moral committee head,” Connie explains. “Name’s Francine or something. She probably didn’t like the fact that Cass is breaking dress codes during school time.”

“Not fair! She breaks it all the time! Everybody does it!” Cass hisses, clutching at the door. “It’s the twenty first century! We shouldn’t have a dress codes anyways!”

“They say she killed a man once for jaywalking,” Connie adds. “And that she was the one who destroyed the country of Svitz overnight. For overcharging her hotel fees.”

“Now she’s gonna kill me and use my head as a paperweight!” Cass screams out.

Eric gave a snort of laughter, and then shook his head in admiration. “She sounds like my type of woman.” He glanced at Cass, smiling at her sweetly “Don’t worry though, you’ll always be my first love.”

“Oh, boo hoo,” Cass snaps. “If you like her that much, why don’t you go to meet her tonight instead?” she points a finger straight at Eric, pauses, and then grins. “Yeah, isn’t that a good idea?”

Connie tilts his head. “What are you thinking, Cass?”

“Hey hey, Eric, would you like to become the newest member of the Newspaper Club?” Cass says. “I think a spot just opened up, and, well, I need someone to interview Francine at 8 tonight. Got something else I need taken care of, so I can’t make it to that meeting.”

Eric arched his eyebrows and turned to Connie “It sounds like she’s asking me to be her slave...how do you like it so far?”

“Best time of my life,” Connie says monotone. Response, practiced.

Eric laughed at that. He pondered for a minute; that Francine girl had seemed….interesting. And there was definitely a powerful presence to her; intriguing enough to warrant a few minutes to chat with her.

And, worse case scenario, she was pretty nice to look at. Eric could think of worse ways to pass the time.
“Alright.” Eric said, nonchalantly. “Just wanting to let you know though, I’ve never interviewed anyone before though. Judging by this experience though-” and at that, he waved his hand curiously “It seems you haven’t either, so I’m sure it’ll be fine. Just a….word of warning” and at that he gave an uncharacteristically sweet smile.

Cass returns a smile that seems obviously forced: gritted teeth, a twitch in the eye. “Of course! We are all starting out here,” she mutters. “All you have to do is talk with the Public Morals Committee Head. How hard can it be?” She hops back on her feet, then seems to finally realize something.

“Hang on, where’s my glasses?”

Eric twirled them in his fingers with amusement before putting them on, and then, with some surprise said “Wait a minute, are these fake glasses?”

With almost blinding speed, Cass lunges forward, seizing the glasses from Eric’s face within a blink of an eye.

She dusts them off before putting it on her face. “Don’t touch my stuff,” her voice is a low, dangerous purr.

“Yeah, those are fakes,” Connie quips. “She wears them because she thinks it makes her look more official. She’s kind of a dork.”

“You are wearing a beanie. You have no right to judge.”

“What should I ask? Am I doing some real investigative journalism?” At this, Eric did his best news reporter voice “What is this shadowy organization doing here? Is the Public Morals Head instituting a fascist crackdown on our fair school? Or is Tyler Roman just a massive weeb that’s trying to shoehorn as many Japanese school tropes in as possible? More on page six! Or is it more like a puff piece? Favorite food? Favorite drink? Bra size? Favorite way to punish naughty students?”

“You know, she’s only sending you there because she thinks Francine is about to execute her,” Connie adds.

“Shut it!” Cass hisses. “Well, we usually just do puff pieces because real scandals and plots… just don’t exist in the real world. So I would say, just go with the puff piece, and see if she’s open for tougher questions based on the initial response,” she says.

“Aren’t you supposed to be her slave?” teased Eric “Where is your sense of loyalty? To protect your noble master?” But then Eric turned starkly serious for a moment. “But that is a fair point. So I think, in this situation, it’d be fair for me to ask for payment, no?”

“But of course,” Cass says. “Anything I can do for you, I will provide. Within reason, of course,” she adds hastily.

“How come I never get paid for anything?”

“Shut up, Connie.”

Eric’s eyebrow piqued up “What can you do? Within reason, of course.” He added, with a sly grin.
Cass rolls her eyes. “I know a few guys, and a few… business people in the town,” she says. “I don’t have much to give you right now, but given time, I can procure most things. Within reason. I’m just not sure what you would want.”

Eric smiled. He hadn’t thought that this school would be boring by any means, but he didn’t think that it would be so interesting on the first day. “Very well” said Eric with a smile. “Wine and gold. And good wine too, none of the swill they have here. I’ll get you a list of some approved labels. Track suits too, and some one off requests from time to time.” He flashed another smile as he brushed Cass’ cheek “I’d ask for women too, but I think I’ll have my hands full with you.”

Cass bats away Eric’s hand, face reddening, but doesn’t comment on his last remark. “Wine and gold? What do I look like to you, a leprechaun?” she says. “I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t give you promises on being able to find the right stuff, especially expensive stuff. I can’t exactly buy the thing on my own, you know. I’ll see what I can do about the track suits too. That seems simple. Definite no on the gold. I’m not about to raid a jeweler.”

“The track suits are the easiest things to get!” protested Eric “Man, this is super disappointing, I thought you had some hook ups!”

Cass sighs. “Normally, you aren’t exactly paid for writing for the school newspaper either,” she says. “I’m just trying to give people a passionate school life experience! You know what they say about passion. Life without passion is like meatloaf without flour in an alternative universe in which meatloaf is made with flour,” she concludes. “But no, I can get most things, but usually, I have to do favors for other people to get them.”

Eric decides to ignore her odd comparison. Sighing with reluctance, he shrugs his shoulders and nods “Very well then.” He stopped time to position himself beside Cass and leaned in close to her ear. “Anything for my Mistress~” he said, darting his tongue into her ear.

Cass’s eyes widen, pushing herself off of Eric and stumbling onto the ground. Connie quickly steps in between her and Eric.

“It’s fine, fine,” Cass hurriedly says, struggling to get back to her feet. Connie wordlessly steps out of her way, but the smirk on his face is gone, replaced with a more blank and neutral expression. “You are going to get yourself killed doing that one day,” she says to Eric, rubbing at her ear. “But I’m assuming that was your way of saying that you will do what I asked.”

Eric gave a sarcastic bow and a smile “Of course! Just tell me what to do!”

“Go to PMC room afterschool today, probably around seven-ish,” Cass says. “Connie will send you the map. We can continue the interview with you after you uh, return alive.”

“You know, we don’t actually know anyone who ever went to see her,” Connie says. The smirk on his face is back, as if it was never gone.

“That’s because everyone who goes to meet her, perishes,” Cass says dismissively. “Come see us after you meet with her! We’ll tell you where to go by phone. Don’t worry, Connie knows your number and address by now. Don’t you Connie?”

“Yeah,” he says.

“Great,” Cass finishes, opening the door to the main building and stumbling inside. “I have to go get changed for class anyways… I’ll see you bastards later…”

Connie gives a nod to her, then to Eric, before walking off in another direction.

Eric smiled as his phone pinged. “Heh” said Eric “She wasn’t lying.” He chuckled to himself and began licking his lips. “It’s time to make this place a bit more...interesting”

Excalibur, Epilogue (Collab Between Jackel and me)
“You know, you’re classmates finished the Excalibur job”, Jeff says, smoking a cigar. He does not receive any pleasure out of it, nor is the taste of nicotine particularly pleasant, or even noteworthy to him, but he does it anyways to keep up the pretense of humanity.

“Oh really? Which ones” Cyril asks non-committedly, while working to take stock of the inventory.

“There was that Heidi girl, your annoying reporter friend Cassie and your annoying friend Trudy.” Jeff says, though where he got the idea Cassie and Cyril were friends, Cyril has no idea. He’s never seen Cassie around she always goes the extra mile to avoid him while Trudy doesn’t seem to mind being his friend and accepting his cooking. Why would he be friends with Cassie? So Cyril just shrugs his shoulders and says, “I have no clue what you’re talking about. Trudy is my friends, Cassie and I have no relationship. Actually I think she hates me”.

Jeff just gives a knowing smirk.

“What” Cyril asks, clearly annoyed.

“Nothing, nothing. So what do you think about this little quest of mine?” Jeff says switching the gears of conversation, and letting that little tidbit sit in the back of his mind for now. There were some interesting opportunities afoot.

“I’m not sure what to think. Is the prophecy even real?”

“ Excalibur is useless, it’s just latent compassion. It has no power to compel or force you to bend your knee. It just tells you stories about yourself and pops the bubble insulating you from the injustice of the world around you. But the prophecy itself is true.”

The power to reorient the priorities of an individual sounds pretty damn miraculous to Cyril, but he doesn’t mention that.

“If it’s so useless, then why hire someone to take it from the Black Knight?”

“Why do you move a pawn on a chessboard despite it being such a weak piece?”

“To put it into play I suppose?”

“Exactly”

With that, Jeff flicks his cigar into the trashcan and pulls out another one.

“Now I have a task I need you to do. I need to borrow your body to have a chat with Cassie.”

“You’re not gonna do anything bad are you? It’s me who’s gonna be left behind”

“Relax, relax. I just want to talk”

With that, Jeff’s prying tentacles work their way into Cyril’s head in a scene straight from a horror movie.

Jeff knocks on Trudy’s dorm room. Luckily for him, she’s there alone. Not that a witness would have mattered, but it helps avoid unnecessary questions.

“Hello” he says as Trudy opens the door, “Cyril’s been kind enough to let me borrow his body. I have some business with you. But first, let’s talk somewhere more private, Trudy.”

Jeff snaps his fingers and reality just sort of … dissolves around them to make way for an empty plains with nothing but tall grass for miles around.

Dozens of knives appear in Trudine’s fingers, throwing them in quick succession towards Cyril’s body before lunging in towards his throat. Tentacles appear from the ground, walls, and even the air to block all of the attempts. A few try to restrain her, but she twists her body out of their grasp, leaping backwards to gain some distance. She seems wary, but also too concerned to jump in again.

“Cyril told me this’d happen, but I was so hoping you’d hear me out first. Nevermind, I’ll just keep talking until you do” Jeff begans, tut tutting her attitude towards his negotiation.

“You see I was watching your battle with Excalibur. All of it, and very closely too. And what do you know? I spied with my thousands of eyes something very interesting. A secret I’m sure you wouldn’t want anyone to know. I’m just here to ascertain what that secret is worth to you.” Jeff threatens obliquely. He does so because it’s always best to keep his cards as close to his chest as possible. Even here, someone could be listening.

Trudine stays silent. Her posture doesn’t budge an inch. Her eyes glare with deathly intentions. If Jeff was a human, and thus had a spinal cord, he would have felt chills running up its nerves, become weak at his knees. Jeff, however, was not human.

“You know I’ve always found you fascinating really, since I first heard about you. A sacrifice to Them the only kind they accept - a monster of ideas. How did you even come about? Did someone make you into this. Could I take any human and eventually turn them into someone like you?” Jeff continues. His tone is attempting to be casual but there’s a strange intensity cracklings beneath the words that undermines the effort.

The girl bristles when they are mentioned, hair rising up all over her skin. The posture falters only for a second, but she recovers quickly. “...What do you want,” she mutters.

“Me? I want a lot of things. But for your secret I’m not asking for much. Just make sure my jobs stay in the newspaper. Having Cyril hand out flyers is inconvenient” Jeff bargains.

“The newspaper? What the hell makes you think I have power over that?” Trudine spits out, but her eyes lose some of its deadly intentions. “Let Cyril go first. Then we can talk.”

"I know about the special relationship between you and Cass and I know you have the power to do what I want. As for releasing Cyril I’m afraid I can’t do that - my true form is unsightly and like this I can cover up what he hears. Unless you want him to piece together your secret from the clues I’m dropping”

“You think I give a damn?” Trudine hisses. “But fine. Your… jobs on the newspaper board. I’ll see what I can do about it. Within reason. Just let me and Cyril go.”

“And you won’t speak of this to Cyril? I have plans for him and it wouldn’t do if he felt he can’t trust me” Jeff says, and for the first time he’s partially dropped the mild mannered businessman act and projects an air of quiet menace. The air pulses with threat. It feels as if everywhere is unsafe.

Trudine blinks, then begins to shake. She doubles over, falling onto her knees, spasming with chuckles at first and giggles second. Suddenly, it’s all starting to make sense now. It’s all the same thing again. Cass, the man in the red beret, David, and now this horsehockyhead. When she stands back up, her face is frozen in a maniacal grin. “Oh? What are you gonna do if I don’t promise you that?” she says, still giggling and twitching slightly. She seems barely able to hold back her laughter, but her eyes don’t laugh. No, they glare still, burning.

Jeff realizes he’s miscalculated his play. He shrugs and dissipates all the tension.

“Oh, nothing will happen. To you anyways. I’ll protect my investments in any way necessary. I was simply hoping you’d understand.”

Trudine yawns deliberately. Flashes of metal appear between her fingers again. Her eyes close for the barest second, before opening again in a glare. Her mind is ablaze with furious calculations. “And if I promise to keep quiet about this to Cyril, you’ll let me go? Keep the secret?” she tilts her head. “Oh I understand, I understand completely. Unfortunately, I can’t give you that promise.” She grins.

Jeff snaps Cyril’s fingers and they are in an empty park close to Bair heights.

“The only promise I’m interested in holding you to is a spot on the job boards. You keeping quiet is useful to me, but by no means an irreversible setback. I have ways to make him forget. And if he should become useless to me I have plenty of ways to dispose of him for a profit. Crossing the boundaries of life and death is a high demand skill set and not all those uses have to be consensual” Jeff says with casual disregard for his employee of nearly a year.

“Fine,” Trudine says, letting the knives in her hand slip back down her sleeve. “I’ll keep your ‘job offers’ posted, and I’ll even keep this quiet. Let Cyril go.”

“Don’t be a stranger, and drop by the shop sometime” Jeff says with a salesman smile, “Any friend of Cyril is welcome here”

And then the tentacles crawl out of Cyril’s head and through his nose and ears before slinking into the ground.

Trudine rushes forward, damn-near tackling Cyril to the ground. Wordlessly, she forces open his eyes with one hand while digging through her utility belt for a flashlight. “Nod quickly if you are back to your senses,” she says.

Cyril groans, “Trudine?” he asks, “What are you doing here? I thought Jeff had business with Cassie”

“Shut up,” Trudine says, shining her flashlight into his eyes. After a few moment of this, she clicks it off as if satisfied. “You seem… yourself now. That’s all that matters,” she shrugs before standing back up.

Cyril feels suddenly ashamed. It’s one thing for someone he doesn’t know to see him like this, but for Trudy to do so. It feels too revealing.

“Sorry you had to see me like that. Sometimes Jeff occupies me to talk to people, something about a better negotiating position” Cyril explains as he dusts himself off. If he’d been a normal person the gaps in his memory might freak him out, but Cyril did trust Jeff to some degree. He knows exactly what kind of person Jeff is, but he also knows he’s special to Jeff for some reason. He imagines Jeff wouldn’t put him in jeopardy by bringing him into danger or that he’d risk doing something bad.

Trudy hugs him, all of a sudden, putting her face over his shoulders. “Yeah, that’s fine,” she mutters. “I’m sorry,” she says.

Cyril’s a little confused, because what does she have to feel sorry for, but her hug feels nice and he feels its better not to argue with her.

Instead he says, “ I’m fine really. But thank you. For your concern”

Somewhere behind him, Trudine’s eyes are vacant, but somehow still burning with frustration and anger. She stops the hug and stumbles away once she’s certain it’s under control. “The hell are you talking about?” she says, collapsing onto the ground to her knees. “I said I’m sorry because you suddenly kidnapped me out of my dorm room, and now you are going to have to carry me back.”

She collapses forward, landing face-first on the ground.

Cyril carries her to her dorm. To his great frustration her roommate isn’t home so he needs to pick the lock. He carries her to her bed and dumps her there, before putting a blanket on her. He hesitates at the door debating between watching over her and leaving her there with no one home to make sure she’s alright.

“I’m going to have to kill you after all, Cyril,” Trudine mutters groggily as he lays her to bed.

“Goodbye Trudy” he says softly. He thinks she might mean it and wonders what Jeff did to her. Still she is his friend. In the morning he’ll bring her some Solyanka.

"Need superheroes for jobs. Pay well. No strings attached. No supernatural bull****

Go to Sandman Mattresses after school, Monday-Thursday. Ask for the Roman Discount. We'll talk more there.

Falco"

Small, unassuming business cards for Sandman Mattresses were strewn across the room, with this ominous message scribbled on the back. You never heard of the name "Falco", but Sandman was a well-reputable mom-and-pop mattress store that provided quality, affordable mattresses for the citizens of Bairheights.

And, according to the rumors, a front for the ruthless Soldati Family, one of the various criminal syndicates that operates in the periphery of the greater New York metro area. The influx of powerful, moody teenagers with more gusto than sense led to the streets of Bairheights being cleaned up fast. Beating up gangbangers wasn't just good practice, but was seen as a morally righteous thing to do by both the local police and the school. Students rarely got in trouble with the law, and the few criminals bold enough to follow hits on metahumans quickly learned how outmatched they were even with guns. But that doesn't mean they dissapeared, far from it. They're still operating in the shadows of Bairheights, keeping low shadows as they go through their dirty dealings.

But maybe you don't believe those rumors, or maybe money just talks and you don't care. You go to Sandman Mattresses. No one is there besides you, an older man running a makeshift central office/register, and a girl around your age manning the store. You vaguely recognize her as an upperclassman in Tyler Roman, maybe a senior? You go up to the register, and ask for the Roman Discount. He nods pensively, as the girl's head shoots up. She then escorts you to the back room.

"Here's what we got for you. Keep a small crew and your mouth shut.

Smash and Grab
One of our associates, Richard Parkers, has broken off from us. With the influx of supers keeping the peace, he thinks he doesn't owe us protection money anymore with all the metahumans running around here. Normally, we would deal with this ourselves, but we want to send a poetic message so no one else gets the same idea. He runs a jewelry store, Timeless Vintage. We want you to go there, break in, and steal every last piece of jewelry he has. And use your powers, for the security cameras inside. Make sure the footage survives. Once you have everything, take the jewels to the center of the park's forest. One of our men will be there to pick them up later that night, once you and the heat you bring are gone. Don't think you can run off with the jewels, because I'll be there for your head otherwise.

In return, any loose cash you find in the store is yours. Your responsibility to divvy it up if you bring classmates along.

Boys Will be Boys
Robert Garland is a student at Neville E. Sunderland High. You know, the public high school for the townies who don't have any superpowered kids. He's the star running back for their school football team, the Lucky Moose. More importantly, his father is a detective for the Bairheights Police Department, and is getting too close to an enterprise of ours. Dealing with his father directly is asking for too much trouble, but we can hurt him in other ways. Like with his son.

Tyler Roman and Sunderland have a long standing feud between the student bodies. Plausable deniablity for both you and me. We just want you to beat him up for us. Not too badly, just rough him up. Make him feel it for the next two weeks. Tell him the Romanoffs sent you. Bastards are braggarts anyways, not unrealistic. That should divert his attention off of us.

500 Dollars. Cash.

Pirates of the Mid-Atlantic
Speaking of the Romanoffs, we heard they have customers lined up in New York for Colombian snow. Delivering it right here in Bairheights, shipping it by land afterwards. This place is so clean, no one would expect a drug shipment to originate from here. Unfortunately for them, a birdie sung for us, and we know the time and date the shipment is arriving.

We want you to steal it.

No one will think twice of teenage vigilantes. Beat them up, take the coke, steal one of their rides, and bring it the forest just outside the northern city limits. We'll take the shipment from there. What we do with it is not your business.

A thousand dollars. Again, cash."

---

Name
Giselle Soldati​
Description
Giselle is an aloof senior in Tyler Roman; she mostly keeps to her own class, and normally does not associate herself with the Grade 10 class. After all, she has her own friend circle, and doesn't share much classes with Grade 10, if any at all. From gossip around the school, she's normally approachable, if perhaps a bit introverted. However, she can get very pushy and angry if people try to pry too much into her personal life, particularly in relation with her family. And when she's angry (even on unrelated issues), she practically represents a Fury with her unbridled ball of rage. Some of her colorful rants have become inside jokes within the senior class.

Giselle has a job in Sandman Mattresses, which not-coincidentally her father owns. Beyond that, she participates in track and field for Tyler Roman, where she has a particular affinity towards missile events due to her powers. Archery is her favorite, and she can sometimes be seen around campus with a quiver on her back and a bow in hand, particularly when she expects to spar with another student that day.​

Abilities
Eagle Eyes - Class 5

Giselle has the ability to see accurately and clearly in much farther degrees than the typical human. Specifically, she has the ability to see with 20/2 vision, more associated with birds of prey than what is physically possible in a normal human.

Other than this super vision, Giselle is completely normal, and has no special attributes.​

Other
Legally her first name is Gisella, but she chooses to go by the anglicized version of her name.​

Last edited:
Just so you know, Cyril's trust in Jeff is 100% misplaced and 90% wishful thinking. When he met Jeff, his circle of people he was acquainted with was basically zero so he kind of has glossed over Jeff's faults and has convinced himself Jeff is better than he is (doesn't hurt that Jeff is attempting to be a not awful person around Cyril)

Top Bottom