[BTS] High DPI / 4K Displays / Bigger Font Mods (question)

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
Is there any mod that updates the Civilization 4 interface to support high DPI/resolution monitors or change the in-game font? I've always disliked the spider-thin serif font that the game uses by default but it continues to get worse visually as the standard monitor resolution has increased significantly within the past decade.

Ideally I'd like to rework the entire HUD but short of that anything that makes the fonts thicker would be most useful. Any suggestions?

I don't think there is any way to do that other than injecting text to change the font size. One thing, which really bugs me when using high resolution is the size of the popup windows. They are handled by the exe, meaning there is no quick fix to make them bigger. There are other screens as well, which are handled by the exe, like the main menu/new/load game menus etc, but also some ingame like the diplo screen. There was some talk about redoing the diplo screen at some point (should be doable), but it never took off. I'm still available if somebody really wants to work on that part now.

I would be very interested if you decide to do some serious work towards a a complete 4K overhaul.

The ingame font can be changed. I use Nyala.:
Beyond the Sword\Mods\[YOUR MOD HERE]\Resource\Themes\Civ4\Civ4Theme_Common.thm
around lines 370-390'ish. Can also set sizes, but as Nightinggale said, many of the popups cannot be changed.

btw, iirc you need the whole resource folder in your mod, its not enough to just copy the civ4theme_common file. (iirc, its been a while ;))

Regarding mods I would recommend Platypings Platypedia:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/platypedia.515013/

it is responsive design with fullscreen advisors.

btw, iirc you need the whole resource folder in your mod, its not enough to just copy the civ4theme_common file. (iirc, its been a while ;))
I've gotten it to work by copying "only" the 25 .thm files. (I've described how in this post.)

Top Bottom