Hint at 3rd expansion from Firaxis??

On one hand, the absence of a few city states like Florence and Venice does hint at a possible future inclusion just like the glaring absence of Tyre, Sidon, and Byblos hinted at the possibility of Phoenicia.

On another, their recent addition of a few city states like Lisbon, Fez, and Akkad can easily be seen as token city state additions to represent missing civilizations in civ6.

I am still skeptical of a third expansion, as much as I would love one, but seeing some of these entries gives me hope. I can't imagine Civ being complete without Babylon, the Maya, Notre Dame, Statue of Zeus, etc. I just think of those as such major staples of the game that it's hard to image them not being in it.

Well we we look at things 'missing' from Civ 6 going back over the history of the game we have

Civilizations

Babylon (5 entries, last Civ 5)
Byzantium (3 entries, last Civ 5)
The Maya (3 entries, last Civ 5)
Portugal (3 entries, last Civ 5)

Ethiopia (2 entries, last Civ 5)
Iroquois (2 entries, last civ 5)

World Wonders

United Nations (5 entries, last Civ 5 G&K)
Hoover Dam (3 entries, last Civ 3)
Stature of Zeus (3 entries, last Civ 5)
Pentagon (3 entries, last Civ 5)

Notre Dame (2 entries, last Civ 5)

As for Byzantium, you’d have to make a new Civ to have the Cataphract replace the Legion. Byzantium having Roman Legions would not make any sense. Plus, the Bath and All Roads wouldn’t fit. I think Byzantium could totally warrant a unique play style, so having them just be an alt-leader would be a shame. Plus, if we want alternate Roman leaders, there’s a slew of bonafide Roman Emperors to pick from. Just making a Byzantine Roman-alt puts them on the chopping block.

Just because the thin excuse for a civ in V had a cataphract unique does not mean a cataphract is necessary or even a good fit for Byzantium. Cataphracts existed long before Rome, being of Iranian origin and used by such powers as the Medians, the Persians, the Assyrians, the Armenians...

The Roman legion would still suit a very early Byzantine leader like Theodora. All roads lead to Rome still fits any civ that is called "Rome." So really only the baths are questionable but a) Byzantine baths do exist and b) I thoroughly anticipate the possibility of Rome getting a new UI now that Hungary has also has baths.

Also I would note that Russia already has the lavra, an obvious choice for a Byzantine UI.

So Byzantium could quite comfortably be a naval/religious leader for Rome. It could also be the boring, token domination civ of expack 3. It's kind of up in the air but to my mind both Byzantium and Rome could benefit flavorfully from the synergy of sharing a civ.

And as a bonus, the devs could devote resources to including another new civ. The cataphract could easily be an Armenian UU. What fun.

On one hand, the absence of a few city states like Florence and Venice does hint at a possible future inclusion just like the glaring absence of Tyre, Sidon, and Byblos hinted at the possibility of Phoenicia.
In the GS cinematic video, there was a fairly superfluous scene of what appeared to be a doge of Venice scrambling from and getting splattered by an earthquake.

Tamar's Georgia and Armenia have so much cross-over (culturally, geographically, etc..) that I doubt we'd see an Armenian civ in Civ6, as much as I'd like to see Hayasdan.

Tamar's Georgia and Armenia have so much cross-over (culturally, geographically, etc..) that I doubt we'd see an Armenian civ in Civ6.

Kartvelian is not an Indo-European branch. Armenian appears to be loosely related to Greek. So they are not linguistically related.

Culturally, Tamar's Georgia was a 12th century power, and the mechanics reflect that its heyday was as a medieval civ. Armenia was a regional power from the 3rd century BC through 5th century AD. It is distinctly a classical civ. Moreover, it was a pre-Christian culture. Completely different culturally.

Geographically, Georgia was always a Caucasus power. Armenia may be centered in the Caucasus but at its greater extent it took over vast swathes of Mesopotamia, the Levant, and Anatolia. It can be equally compared to the Hittites and Assyria as to Georgia.

So, I highly disagree. If we want another Middle Eastern civ, Armenia is my first choice, because it gives us a *classical* civ from the region, instead of another *ancient* civ like Sumeria.

In the GS cinematic video, there was a fairly superfluous scene of what appeared to be a doge of Venice scrambling from and getting splattered by an earthquake.

I believe the consensus was that it was somewhere in the later years of the Byzantine Empire, given the architecture and the area’s history for infamous earthquakes.

That said, the R&F trailer had the ancient era canal being built, as well as the plague doctors, and guess what figures prominently in the new Dark Ages scenario for GS? Maybe the trailers portend for what comes next...

I believe the consensus was that it was somewhere in the later years of the Byzantine Empire, given the architecture and the area’s history for infamous earthquakes.

That said, the R&F trailer had the ancient era canal being built, as well as the plague doctors, and guess what figures prominently in the new Dark Ages scenario for GS? Maybe the trailers portend for what comes next...

Inuit led by White Walker Sean Bean confirmed.

Just because the thin excuse for a civ in V had a cataphract unique does not mean a cataphract is necessary or even a good fit for Byzantium. Cataphracts existed long before Rome, being of Iranian origin and used by such powers as the Medians, the Persians, the Assyrians, the Armenians...

The Roman legion would still suit a very early Byzantine leader like Theodora. All roads lead to Rome still fits any civ that is called "Rome." So really only the baths are questionable but a) Byzantine baths do exist and b) I thoroughly anticipate the possibility of Rome getting a new UI now that Hungary has also has baths.

Also I would note that Russia already has the lavra, an obvious choice for a Byzantine UI.
I do agree that a cataphract, in itself shouldn't be considered as a UU due to being used by so many. In fact if we had a heavy cav classical era unit that any one could build, it would probably be it. We don't have a quadrireme replacement yet and the Byzantines would do well with one in the form of a dromon at least. Plus I like the idea of using greek fire on other ships.
I'm pretty sure Rome is still keeping the baths as it was mentioned in a livestream that geothermal fissures give amenities to both the regular aqueduct and the bath district.
As for other UI, a basilica could work as as another unique govt. plaza or a unique worship building,
A hippodrome could work too providing culture and make the horse resources act like a luxury resource.
Even if they don't make it to their own Civ any one of these unique components I could see going to a leader.

Kartvelian is not an Indo-European branch. Armenian appears to be loosely related to Greek. So they are not linguistically related.

Culturally, Tamar's Georgia was a 12th century power, and the mechanics reflect that its heyday was as a medieval civ. Armenia was a regional power from the 3rd century BC through 5th century AD. It is distinctly a classical civ. Moreover, it was a pre-Christian culture. Completely different culturally.

Geographically, Georgia was always a Caucasus power. Armenia may be centered in the Caucasus but at its greater extent it took over vast swathes of Mesopotamia, the Levant, and Anatolia. It can be equally compared to the Hittites and Assyria as to Georgia.

So, I highly disagree. If we want another Middle Eastern civ, Armenia is my first choice, because it gives us a *classical* civ from the region, instead of another *ancient* civ like Sumeria.

I see you were referring to the pre-Christian Armenia. You got my vote then.

I do agree that a cataphract, in itself shouldn't be considered as a UU due to being used by so many. In fact if we had a heavy cav classical era unit that any one could build, it would probably be it. We don't have a quadrireme replacement yet and the Byzantines would do well with one in the form of a dromon at least. Plus I like the idea of using greek fire on other ships.
I'm pretty sure Rome is still keeping the baths as it was mentioned in a livestream that geothermal fissures give amenities to both the regular aqueduct and the bath district.
As for other UI, a basilica could work as as another unique govt. plaza or a unique worship building,
A hippodrome could work too providing culture and make the horse resources act like a luxury resource.
Even if they don't make it to their own Civ any one of these unique components I could see going to a leader.

See I would support either Rome or (*spit*) Byzantium with a dromon, especially if it had Greek fire. That makes sense.

As for UIs, however, nothing feels right juxatposed against the lavra. What is a Basilica but a watered down lavra? :p

Hippodrome could be interesting I suppose too, although we have so many horseys in this game already.

IDK, that whole region of the map was always problematic and I still don't think they've solved it. Phoenicia was a good change. Hungary was a good change. Sumeria was a good change. But the behemoth that is Byzantium is still looming without much that has substantially changed to accommodate them.

As for UIs, however, nothing feels right juxatposed against the lavra. What is a Basilica but a watered down lavra? :p
An interesting idea is if the Basilica goes into the Govt. Plaza it could start out by giving governmental benefits since the early Roman ones were where courts were courts were held but later would become religious. I could easily see this going to Constantine or Justinian as a UB if they do become a Roman alt leader.

Didn’t the person on here who showed up for handful of posts and leak the leader list including world congress and saying Elenor would lead two civs say there was a third expansion and list the civs as well?

I'd love to see them adding a third expansion before reinventing the wheel with Civ 7.
I agree, no need to reinvent the wheel yet, just realign it. :thumbsup:

He also said there's going to be a 4th expansion pack, so I don't know. I think that was his own wishlist.

He also said there's going to be a 4th expansion pack, so I don't know. I think that was his own wishlist.
Don't remember seeing this. Are you referring to where he says he thinks there will be "two more expansions"? Because at the time GS hadn't been announced, so I assumed he meant GS and one other.

Top Bottom