1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Hint at 3rd expansion from Firaxis??

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by SxSnts9, Nov 24, 2018.

1. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

Here is an interview done by PCGames with Ed Beach (whom we all know and love) and Dennis Shirk (Lead Producer):

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/civ-6-gathering-storm-natural-disasters

If you scroll about halfway down they ask Shirk about the Black Plague scenario that will be included and if disease mechanics will make their way into the full game. His reply is:

"No, no. We didn't want to have disease YET."

Later on in that reply he mentions that they sometimes use scenarios as a place to test out ideas they will put into the game.

Now this is basically conjecture on my part, but there are two tiny hints at it in that reply. What do you guys think? I don't remember there ever being a 3rd expansion for a Civ game before so I still very much doubt it, but it's not impossible.

2. Xefjord

Xefjord Chieftain

One of the leakers stated there would likely be a third expansion as well. Here's to hoping! I need my Vietnam!

3. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

I find this very likely.
    There is a trend towards expansions and DLC especially when it comes to strategy games (see various Paradox games or Cities: Skylines).
    The main reason might be that we reached a graphical ceiling (Civ 6 already omitted some graphical realism in favor of usability compared to Civ5).
    I don't think there's currently much to gain for Firaxis by investing in a new engine.

The main thing the community currently desires is depth, balance, and a better AI - things that would surely get worse with a new base game.
    Plus there are quite a few additional civs people want to see implemented.

From an economic standpoint, 40$ is almost the same revenue as a full game (especially considering that DLC's tend to keep their full price a bit longer than base games). Also note that it took them quite a while to bring Civ6 to various non-PC platforms, but now that they managed it, they can sell DLC to non-PC users without much effort.

Personally, I would really prefer they make Civ6 the best game it can possibly be instead of inventing the wheel anew for no good reason.

4. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

Yet may mean "we'll consider it for new expansions" or "we'll consider it for new iterations of the game". Not ruling out any possibility here, but also not to be taken a confirmation. I loved health mechanics and food trade in civ IV, so there is still room to add to the game (maybe along with corporations ;) )… and as commented, one of the benefits of the DLC era is to keep improving a base game.

5. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

I think we should save speculating about a 3rd expansion until after the 2nd one is out

6. Metecury

Metecury Chieftain

I surely hope so, there is still much that can be done with civ 6, no reason to limit themselves to two expansions and then start fresh when 6 is a great opportunity to try new things and add features to the franchise.

7. Inhalaattori

Inhalaattori Chieftain

There definitely are signs that would suggest they have had plan for 3 expansion for a very long time if not from the beginning. One of the main signs is that they are holding on to many important civilizations from previous Civs like Ethiopia, Maya, Byzantium, Portugal, Babylon, Austria, Iroquois and Celts. Many important world wonders from earlier games are also missing like Statue of Zeus, The Three Gorges Dam, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Himeji Castle, Pentagon, The Porcelain Tower, The Parthenon, Notre Dame, Versailles, Globe Theatre, Hollywood, The Sistine Chapel and The Louvre. The small number of Scenarios is also notable.

It might be that the third expansion would be more about new Civs and scenarios than totally new features. Also in most of the new features from Rise&Fall and Gathering storm there is lot of room for expanding. New governors, new natural disasters etc.

hoaheo, Ryansinbela, SelmanV and 5 others like this.
  8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Where? Do you have a URL for that? I would be curious to see....a third expansion would mean we would likely see the Maya, Ethiopia, and several other missing key civs.

9. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

IIRC the rumor of a third expansion started when they said that ...
    ... followed by a first expansion release earlier than we expected. And now we're going to have a second expansion not long after the 2 years mark.

Eagle Pursuit and Hakan-i Cihan like this.
  10. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Not to be a party pooper or anything, but wouldn't a three-year post-launch support cycle go up to October 2019, not Feb 2020? So technically even with the speedy arrival of both expansions, there wouldn't be time for a third one, unless its a "mini-expansion" released in the summer or autumn of next year.

I say this as someone who would very much love a third expansion for Civ VI, incidentally. Just being wary of reading too much/what we want to hear into these things...

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  11. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Believe me, I've read carefully all their interviews, and I've still not read the only thing I really want to hear...

I don't want one or two or three expansions, I want the ability to change the core game ASAP. And on that side, a third expansion is potentially a bad news for me if this time they don't release the DLL source code before the end of their development cycle...

Civrinn, racha, RohirrimElf and 2 others like this.
  12. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

A third expansion seems a stretch. I’m not even sure there’s enough for a full expansion - like, there are lots of things I’d like added to the game, but none of them would be game changing. I mean, I’d love more with Ideologies, but really all I’d like them to do is use Ideologies to expand Legacy Cards and loyalty bit. But I can definetly see a few chunky dlc.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  13. Pistol90

Pistol90 Chieftain

I think FX is really resonable , and because everyone would want 3rd exansion rather than start of 4-5 year period to CivVII it is likely ... CivVI is build so it can easy be modify - as they proven already with totaly different concepts than before in this two expanssions ... I would put chances of 3rd expansion more than 50 %

Leathaface likes this.
  14. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

A third expansion could have a different focus. Only a few new features, but more leaders (e.g. 6 new civs plus 6 alternative leaders for popular old civs).

15. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

if they would do something like this i think they are more likely to make more new civs compared to alternate leaders. if it is just 6 new civs with a few new futures they would need to drop the price for such an expansion considerably or risk getting a ****storm of comments about it being an oversized dlc compared to a full expansion

16. Alucard648

Alucard648 Chieftain

And more wonders, especially late-game ones. Space Elevator! Dinosaur Park! And more!

Ryansinbela and AvianBritish like this.
  17. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

Considering this expansion attributes global climate change (CO2 accumulation) which is a very modern discovery, plus some futuristic stuffs, i'd say this is it. It's unlikely they'd go back and include stuffs from earlier eras unless they're supporting the game long term which is not something Firaxis does.

18. Josephias

Josephias Chieftain

I'd rather see (and would like) this announced / marketed as Split sets of small DLC than as an expansión. The rationaly behind building a full-fledged expansión is that you are overhauling the game mechanics, not just adding small, pheripheral systems.

Siptah likes this.
  19. Rup

Rup Chieftain

There is a part of me that is telling me we will get third expansion.
    PS:That part also told me that we will get Half life 3 10 years ago.

KnightModern, CivLuvah and bite like this.
  20. AntoineS

AntoineS Chieftain

I feel confident they will go for a third expansion.... The thing is, the second isn't out yet and this game has so much potential that I would love to be sure that not only a third, but a fourth expansion would come out along with lots of AI improvements to make the game as complete as possible