1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Historical Book Recomendation Thread

Discussion in 'World History' started by Babbler, Nov 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That should definitely include some insights gained from Soviet archives (access to which has since again been restricted).

2. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Warlord

some history books you should read:
    Russia Against Napoleon: the True Story of the Campaigns of war and Peace by Dominic Lieven
    March 1917: on the Brink of war and Revolution by Will Englund
    Book of the Ancient Greeks by Dorothy Mills
    Book of the Ancient Romans by Dorothy Mills
    Book of the Middle Ages by Dorothy Mills
    Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You About the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History by James F. Dunnigan and Albert A. Nofi
    Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates: the Forgotten War That Changed American History by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger

Edit: The Civil War State by State by Chester G. Hearn is also good

3. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I'm strangely watching a 90's series called "Sharpe" set in the Napoleonic Iberian campaign. Besides the novels, are there any good recommendations on the general history of the conflict? Wikipedia has a lot of references.

4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon is a classic but IIRC only deals with the initial invasion of Spain since that was the only part of the Iberian campaign directed personally by Napoleon.

5. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

I too wish I knew of one. There's lots of literature about it, more that enough to get lost in it. Most old and from a british perspective, which comes across as quite... skewed. The social aspects of the war and their impact on logistics is one area that I wish were better covered. Many of the french defeats were due to their inability to live mostly off the land as they were used to in the wars around France and central Europe.

Imo the economic damage and the social transformations caused by the war in the Peninsula were greater that the impact of the whole French Revolution on France itself. Spain was thoroughly wrecked for the next century and Portugal for half a century, there was no easy return to stability afterwards.