Historical Challenge (concentrated historical feasibility testing): Pax Romana

A possible way to streamline the auto road Up is what I suggested earlier, that every turn any tile being worked by a Roman city gets a road free of charge. That would get a huge road network up pretty quickly in my opinion.

Another possibility is giving roads to tiles with Praetorians on them free of charge, that would get a far more linear road netwrok of routes to enemy cities.

Hmm, the paretorian idea sounds good, and it would die off once praetorians lose their usefulness. Not sure if that would be good or bad, though.

It would be good because that would mark the beginning of the fall of the Roman Empire anyway

Here's a fun little challenge I've come up with and tried out on one of the older versions. You play as the Aztecs (or Mexica) trying to create what is the Aztec Legacy, Mexico.

Legacy of the Mexica
1. Expansion
The Aztecs need to have all the land from the Yucatan to California
including Texas.
2. Weapons of the White Man
a. The Aztecs need to have both the techs Gunpowder and Military Tradition.
b. The Aztecs must be only at most one tech behind the western European civs and the Americans.
3. Survival
The Aztecs must never lose a single city to another civ or to barbarians.
4. Western Influences
Every Aztec city of size 3 or more must have a theatre, a courthouse, and a market.
5. Independent Latin America
There should be no European cities in the Caribbean, Central America, or
Western United States.
6. Time
The goal should be completed by 1836

Aztecs start in 1200 or turn 251.
1835 is turn 376.

So the challenge is 125 turns long.

Head Serf, if you are serious about this challenge please open a separate thread for it. I think we had some excellent discussion here about the matter at hand thanks to the fact that this thread is very focussed on this specific challenge.

Legion or Legionary please. Legionaire (the Butcher of Words strikes again!) is the French style. Even better, Legio.

As for a Roman bonus, how about giving the Legions 2 move points instead of one? For a heavy infantry formation, they moved ridiculously fast (managing in an average day what the Greeks did after the battle of Marathon). It is also something that the ai can handle.

Well I think Praetorians (or Legionaries) don't have to be any stronger. The AI problem is just that they don't build enough.

Yep, and for the player the problem is that there isn´t enough time...

The Roman AI has definitely improved though. They used to never expand much beyone Italy, but now They'll often times control France, Greece, Algeria and Italy, not to mention building a few cities around Austria/Hungary. They're a long way off the empire, but it's a big step up.

I tried this Historical Challenge again with the new version. It is definately easier as the last time I tried but still very difficult. I ignored goal 2-3 and only tried to achieve the military part (and get some culture). I conquered Egypt very early and after I took their capital all their cities flipped to me :goodjob:. This definately helped a lot. I went on to Greece, razed Sparta and sieged Athens which was a tough nut to crack. The screenshot shows my empire 200 AD. Still I didn't conquer Persia and Brittania but came close to it.

My mistakes though: Didn't research Code of Laws and didn't build Great Lighthouse. Because of this my economy totally collapsed. Didn't build enough workers so I really couldn't take advantage of the UP. Galleys were the engine for my conquest.

What could be done:

- One additional worker when Rome spawns would be nice and very helpful.

- Barbarian galleys are a real pain. I can't control the Mediterranean Sea because of them. Of course Triremes will help in Warlords but maybe until then less galleys could be spawn?

- Maybe a different UP? Auto-building roads or some economy boost would be nice.

Attachments

• Rome 210 AD 2.JPG
    Rome 210 AD 2.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 268
Code of Laws is a particularly Roman tech you know... They were very serious about their code of laws. They should start with that tech. We know today of written law dating back at least far as 449 BCE. Formal Roman civil law related to religion dates back to - gasp - 754 BCE.
Perfect timing for the Roman spawn, I'd say. So, how about it?

I got pretty close last time I tried, and I might have gotten everything except for Britain and maybe some of Spain if a few things hadn't decided to happen in 70 AD. 1. Persia declared war, and I had stripped my praetorians from the border for a few turns to invade Egypt. If not for that, this wouldn't have been a problem and 2. There are 3 horse archers looming 2 turns away from Constantiinopolis and the 2 archers garrisonned there/that i can get there in time will definitely not be enough to take on them.

Straight away, I loaded up my 4 praets and set sail for Carthage/Leptis Magna and took both cities the next turn using 2 of the praets, so that they could get 2 exp they needed for the City Raider 1 promotion. Next I headed for Athens, and took it. Then on to Hatussas with 2 praets. I took it, but lost 1 praet. It had Stonehenge in it though, so it was worth it. I took Tyrus the next turn with my other 2 praets, and the Greeks were destroyed. Next I took Jerusalem from barbs, and then Egypt declared war. Nothing came of this aside from a few raids agasint Leptis Magna which repeatedly failed. I got the Great Lighthouse in Rome, and the Oracle in Greece, which I used to found Christianity. After that, I spent the next few turns preparing to invade Egypt and building some settlers. Right around the change from BC to AD I moved in on Egypt, and wait straight for Niwt-Rst. They had a good 7 archers in it, but I got lucky and didn't lose a single oF my 4 praets. I conquered all of Egypt except for 2 cities through this, (Imu and the one next to Per-Wadjet, which was sandwiched in by culture anyways). This was where Persia declared war and I saw some Horse Archers headed for Constantinopolis.

Anyways, i had about 15 turns left and in that I could have taken Gaul and maybe Nova Carthago. That's most of the empire. With a bit (a lot) of luck, it IS possible to assemble the empire in time, or near enough to it. The only things now is the other requirements, I never had a city with decent production tnat could spare to build a useless and time consuming collusseum or aqueduct. It was a pretty good attempt though, and probably the best I've ever done.

I did pretty well in this respect. I had Gaul, Italy, Greece, Asia Minor and North Africa. I never fell apart from the barbarians thought the matinence is stilll killing me. One question I had was that when England, Germany And Spain spawned (all in areas I did not control) france never did, It is now the 1800's and not even of a whiff of france ever exsisting

the only way to build a good empire by 250 AD, with quite good research is:

Military part:

1) conquer cartagho, raze lyqui, conquer egypt with 4 prets. at least 2 of them promoted (city attack). You must be fast!
2)build some prets in rome and milan. use them for defense untill gauls spawns (4-5 is a good number).
Then you can easy control gallia conquering lutetia (it need few prets)
3)build some prets in egypt and bring them near jerusalem
4) greece is becoming strong? pick your 5-6 prets with few catapults if you have them near athens from italy(with 1-2 galleys). At the same time attack tyros, niniveh and hattusas (the toughest). You can conquer easily greece and constatinopoli.
5)this is the final part. you are under barbs pressure. (build many spearman in egypt and cartagho!)
if you can, conquer iberia (not really easy at this point), found spalatum and declare war on persia (babylon and ur are easy to take if oyu have at least 2-3 promoted prets..). My games always stops here... (camel archer spawns and raze my eastern part of empire..)

Civil/Technology part (i dont remember well all the tree..maybe some techs are wrong and in a wrong order)

Objective techS:
Sailing (lightouse in rome..)
Priesthood (oracle!)
Masonry (great lightouse in rome is a priority)
Code of laws (egypt needs many courthouses)
Late game drama is quite good for culture

When you have these techs plus some other basics tech (like archery ecc..) you are ok.
Now you can focus your research on what you really need.

Choose one of these 3 techs. These are really important (get them via Oracle. not always directly but via monarchy or metal casting)

1)Feudalism (good archers + serfdom) (vassalage too expensive)
2)Machinery (good crossbowman + watermill for egypt)
3)(late game) Civil Service (bureocracy,rome saves more money and build like mad, maceman are good)

Ok, the civil part. Built soon a lightouse in rome. Now You have built some prets in milan and rome (waiting for masonry/priesthood/code) ok.
Milan continues bulding prets while rome is building Great Lighouse.. then you can build the oracle (fast wonder researching a good tech (look the tech part). After this, no more wonder are really needed (colossus and parthenon helps a bit, not too much). Now you can spawn courthouses everywhere hoping that your cash resists :)

PS: national/military epic are too slow... i would not research for them
Conclusion on money:

Great lighouse in Rome is the basic wonder
Bureocracy saves some money
A great priest in rome helps
Courthouses in egypt(obv.)
Found a holy city. (late game: chiristianity is often founded in a barb city in iberia or gaul(lucky!). When you control that city switch to cristhianity, it spawns in many cities, and hope that rome build another great priest) This could bring your cash in good health (and with good research too)

bye :D

I prefer to take Greece before Egypt. The maintenance is less, the cities are better and it's generally easier to do.

Top Bottom