1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Historical events in Civ IV terms

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Darth Caesar, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

Agree w/Joanne. I'm out. Have fun K.

"Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it." --Winston Churchill.

2. joanne

joanne Barbarian

:confused: not too familiar with english idioms, but whatever, I learn english most effectively by arguing with stubborn people, so thanks likewise. :p

Back on topic again: It will take the US very long to withdraw from Afghanistan & Iraq because although transport ships and cargo planes can move units hundreds of kilometers almost instantaneously, they can only do so once per year.

When Kublai Khan sent boatloads of keshiks over to Japan either he got the bermuda triangle random event or Tokugawa cheated on Worldbuilder: the "divine wind" theory is impossible because the hurricane random event destroys buildings in coastal cities, not units at sea.

3. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

You mistake about civics - HR, Burearocracy, Serfdom, FM & OR fits late Russian Empire better) Russia always was very centralized, Catherine's, Pavel's, Stalin's reforms failed to give province enough power

4. nfw

nfw King

During WW2, the British tried to offer permanent alliance to the French, but the option was redded out - "we are afraid of your enemies!"

5. kochman

kochman Deity

Perhaps because you completely failed to support your claim.
    Thanks for participating though.

As for Joanne, glad you reduced yourself to name calling to look cool on the internet. Always a sign of top flight intelligence.

6. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

This is laughable. Claims? I'm sure that you know better than all those so-called ""scholars" at Cambridge University. You're making yourself look obnoxious.

Please do keep it up.

:rolleyes:

7. joanne

joanne Barbarian

Dude, you have to lighten up a little, obviously I wasn't being serious - that's what smilies are for :)

Keeping this post legitimate, and attempting yet again to steer this thread back on topic: The root cause of the Arab-Israeli conflict are the two religious shrines in Jerusalem and the thousands of gold per turn they have been generating; either side wants both shrines for themselves, so they've been fighting for them for decades

8. kochman

kochman Deity

You came up with 1 city to support your claim...
    I asked for a list of cities.
    You failed to produce it.
    Simply stating somewhere in your off context replies "Cambridge Scholars" doesn't make you correct. Sorry.

Glad to see you also resorting to name calling.
    Very mature.

9. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

...that's kind of what "contemporary" means.
    anyway, i couldn't find a list, but i already mentioned london, which was the capital of england at that point, just as it is now.

10. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

Normally, I'd shy away from this--it's like shooting fish in a barrel, honestly. Your sole means of rebuttal seems to be an "appeal to willful and stubborn ignorance." Gotta admit, that's one I've never seen, and it's not in the textbooks. But I've some time on my hands at the moment, so . . .

Recap; I mentioned some things about epidemics and Civ4. Others seem to agree. Communication ensues. Out of nowhere, you chime in and call "poppycock." (btw, great choice of terms there, Webster :lol: ) I gently attempt to inform you; you obviously don't know the slighest thing about the subject. Still trying to remain civil. This is where you pulled the Jekyl/Hyde thing. It seemed as if you were admitting you might just be ill-informed and asked for sources. No prob. Sources provided. Your response; "I don't buy that." :crazyeye:

Well, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt then. Perhaps you DO just happen to know more about American history, prehistory, and archeology than all those silly old men over at Cambridge. If so, please do publish. I'm sure we're all awaiting your findings with baited breath. In fact, I did present you with sufficient examples. In abundance. Too many, I thought. Felt like I was communicating with children. I was wrong. I should apologize, at this point, to children everywhere. All my responses were in context. Simply claiming that they weren't doesn't make YOU right, brainiac. Name calling? Where? "Obnoxious" is a descriptive, not a name. You don't seem to think very clearly, do you? :rolleyes:

The issue of plains Indians never came up anywhere in my statements. YOU threw that in. Then complained because no one addressed it. Can you say "irrelevant?" Apparently, you were just searching for something, anything, where you might be correct. Too bad no one else said anything about it. Brilliant thinking there Einstein. Try staying with the topic at hand. It's not that difficult. Really. :rolleyes:

At least you can follow instructions. I asked you to please keep it up, and, of course, you did so. Good boy.

Whatever you do, don't stop now. This is mildly entertaining. But only mildly.

11. kochman

kochman Deity

Haha, you are certifiable, hilarious. You have yet to bring up Indian city names, in N. America, which was my whole point. You have decided to try to make my point something other than it is... perhaps to hide your error.

My first post in this series was me agreeing that there should be some kind of epidemic event in the game... not going against it.
    I suggest you re-read.

Happy Valentine's Day, Peregine, I love you.

12. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

No, your "whole point" was that cities didn't exist at all in North America prior to 1500, and all demonstrations to the contrary you simply denied. Well of course we should have known that YOU know better than all those know-it-all scholars. This bit about a list came out of nowhere, as seems to be usual with you. It's a little bewildering, watching you do things and say things then accuse others of doing precisely what you're doing. Are you a little whacky? :crazyeye: (Not saying that you are, of course, cuz that would be flaming, just asking.) You change your position with every post, and get abusive and insulting to those who point our your lack of knowledge on the subject you're addressing or who disagree with you. :rolleyes:

And yes, I am pretty witty when called upon to be. Thanks. :p

Now pray do continue, because I just know that a person like you can't let it go.

13. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

someone bring up hitler and we can get on with our day.

oh wait.

edit: also, there's a random event based on d-day, so uh, kind of on topic?

14. kochman

kochman Deity

I didn't change my position once, and my position is simple. I am not sure why you can't understand what is happening, but I will make the following statement and you can get as many last words in as you see fit, because that's what love means to me... Letting you twist my words however you see fit in order to save face.

I asked for N. American Indian cities.
    I got 1 named city - Cahokia.
    End of story.

Enjoy your day.

15. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

This is ridiculous! Although I should I expect it form an online forum...

A person arguing about thin air is convinced s/he is right!

Anyway: In the 1400 chinese stopped producing research and started producing culture slider and city wise, letting the Europeans get ahead while they aim for a cultural win.

Unforunately, they were taken over by the Manchurians/Koreans and only won with revolt in 1911 Rhye;s style, fought off war with japan and turned communist, therefore losing their cultural advantage they sacraficed their science for.

16. diegovelasco45

diegovelasco45 Casual civ4 emperor lvl

And are now recovering because they made lot's of factories and the three gorgers dam so they have a lot of hammers to pour into research ^_^

17. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

They are still trying to get ride of that coal plant they accidentally made in their GP farm during the 'Great Leap Foward' Whiping in Sichuan.

18. Something Weird

Something Weird Chieftain

Global warming is the result of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Of course, none of you will get what i did here.

19. joanne

joanne Barbarian

20. Nicol.Bolas

Nicol.Bolas Prince

G.W.Bush meets meet Saddam and tries to select oil in the trade screen, but:
    "Surely, you must be joking" - its redded out

Bill Clinton meets Boris Jelcin in 1989 and:
    Clinton: Your civics arent cool, you should adopt free speech, free trade, free religion and emancipation like all the cool civs, police state and state property isn´t cool:
    Jelcin: hmm ok
    Clinton: also your vassal states are scaring us
    Jelcin: ok, we will free them

.... leading to collapse of soviet union