HNDY09 Wonderless XAWM with additional restrictions

nice turns bugs, looks like we can start pushing soon. imho, red dot should be 3T from Guimarraes, not the other 2 towns since they need a river crossing to get there. I would suggest 1T S for the red dot, for the 3 distance mentioned above and keeps us away from the mountains/gives good kill zones on the plains.

per handy's post, bedhead can take it now.

330 BC (1) - Rio Janiero founded where settler stands. Persian immortal killed by an elite.

IT - Chinese horse killed

310 BC (2) - Two immortals, one archer killed. Two of those victories were elite.

290 Bc (3) - No fighting. Second settler is headed for eastern peninsula, by the way, I think going out that far is stretching ourselves a bit far with our lack of defensive units.

270 BC (4) - Celtic spearman and archer killed, one by an elite. Settler in Lisbon finished, and this one will go to the red dot. I think I'll switch it to spearmen for now.

IT - In getting that elite win, I exposed the sword to horse range, and I didn't realize the Celts had horses. So one more win, and then the swordsman died.

250 BC (5) - Chinese archer killed. And still not quite ready for red dot.

230 BC (6) - Celtic horseman killed.

210 BC (7) - Chinese founded two squares away from red spot. Two immortals killed, one by an elite.

190 BC (8) - I am not sure what we want to do with the settler now.

Not much for the last two. I left a few active units, including the fortified stack that was going to be our next city. Since anything I did with the immortals and Chinese horsemen would have implications for the interturn, I thought that should be up to the next player. I would have attacked the horseman on the hill with the elite sword, since it at least provided a defensive bonus, then if the coast was clear, attacked the horsemen in the floodplains. And since no unit can reach the immortals, I would attack both of them as well. Only one unit would be at risk, the sword on the hill, as the attack on the FP horse wouldn't happen if we knew there was a unit within attacking distance.

Not counting what could happen in the final turn, final kill ration 12-1. Half of our victories were elite victories.

The situation described above

Attachments

• HNDY09_150BC.jpg
    HNDY09_150BC.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 172
Settle red dot anyway. That Chinese city won't be there long.

preturn: elite sword kills horse on hill. It reveals an immortal two tiles away. Vet archer kills another horse, and I move an elite spear to cover. Vet sword kills 2hp immortal, another sword kills immortal. [4-0]

Move spear to Colina from inner city as it is a front city.

IBT: two Celtic archers appear from the north.

(1)90BC: move stacks. IBT immortal loses to elite spear on the mountain. Two archers move to hill next to Colina. [5-0]

(2)110BC: We found Luanda. IBT archer loses to elite spear. [6-0] Celt starts Great Library.

(3)90BC: temporarily hire a scientist this turn for Lisbon and switch it to settler.

Kill an archer on mountain with help of cats. [7-0] move our stack next to Tientsing. Kill another archer on hill. [8-0]

IBT I see a regular Gallic Swordman!

(4)70BC: cats goes 5-2, two swordmen kill two spearmen and get a promotion. Vet archer kills archer and we raze Tientsing and kill slaves. Retreat one horse and kill another. [12-0]

On the east side, archer kills archer, but it is exposed. [13-0]

IBT we lose the archer to GS. [13-1]

(5)50BC: elite sword kills archer. Sword kills horse. [15-1]

(6)30BC: somehow lost. Maybe killed 2 archers.

(7)10BC: Kill one archer and 2 GS. [18-1]

IBT GS dies to our spear but archer kills our spear. We retreat two horses. [19-2]

(8)10AD: Kill two horses. [21-2]

(9)30AD: We connect ivory.

Our 8 cats redline all defenders, and we kill two spear and one archer. Gergovia is razed. Kill another 2 archers. [26-2]

I switch Lisbon to library.

(10)50AD: Massive uprising..

Kill 2 archers. [28-2]

Note: we are fighting a two-front war, but the east front is less intense. I suggest we settle on the ruins.

We can connect wines next turn.

On the west front, we have forces at Luanda. Be aware that the two immortals are trying to go to New Ferro, but all our cats are in Luanda now. I would like to go north asap, as there is a road and AI horse can attack Luanda directly.

We'll enter Middle Ages next turn.

I hired one scientist in Luanda this turn. Next player should fire it.

We still got no leader, despite a few elite wins.

ok, got it.

i have a question for the AW experts here regarding the settlement of Luanda as I don't understand why we chose that location. I see that it's 3 tiles from Grahamville and New Ferro, but they will require either a river crossing or a road thru a mountain. it also borders 2 mountains, which will give approaching troops 2x thier defensive rating.
Previously, I had suggested moving the town 1 tile south, which would let it be within 3 tiles of Guimarraes (no river crossing req'd) and would have only plains around it after the forest is chopped, thus giving defenders only a 10% increase in defense rating.
Based on the above, it seemed that my proposal was logical. however, it does not appear to have been considered and i'm assuming that's because i'm missing something due to this being my 1st AW. anyone care to indulge me and explain?

also, what's the next preferred tech? Fuedalism for MDI's or Engineering so we can cross those rivers efficiently?

New Ferro could get to Luanda without crossing the river I guess? I'm roading there. But I don't really like the location either due to the two mountains. Hopefully we can push forward a bit.

I would choose Feudalism to get better units, especially if AI has got it already. Engineering is fine with me too. In general I'd like to follow AI research to do it more cheaply.

Preflight check: nada

IBT: retreat a GS on the ruins to the NW. crap, Celts land a horse and an archer near Braga, on the hill. We have nothing back there right now.
Currency -> Fued (23T)
Grahamville spear -> archer; Rio worker -> cat; Persians building Suns; Celts building ToA

T1: 70AD Spear from Sagres reinforces Oporto; Short rush a sword in Guimaraes via a spear and MM for 10spt. Move spear from Coimbria to Braga; Sword leaves Lisbon to help retake whatever is lost next turn.
Wines connected but no relief on the lux tax.

IBT: Archer kills our spear in Braga (2/3) and takes the city + 1g :cringe:

Retreat another GS in the NW.
Oporto sword -> sword; Guimaraes sword -> barracks; Sagres spear -> worker (MM for growth)

T2: 90AD Move swords into position on Braga next turn.
Elite sword kills immortal (2/5); elite sword kills immortal (2/5)
Alcácer do Sal founded; sword kills 1/3 GS near there;

T3: 110AD Interesting, the horse and archer in Braga morphed into 2 spears. Kill both and retake the town.

T4: 130AD Alcacer: elite archer kills redlined GS.

IBT: New Ferro spear -> worker

T5: 150AD Near New Ferro: elite 4/5 sword kills vet immortal (1/5); reg sword
@ Luanda: elite archer kills redlined archer. Move spear up to cover.

Near New Ferro: ¾ immortal kills redlined elite sword; Near Luanda: immortal redlines but kills covering spear.
Celtic horse and archer jump off a galley N of Coimbra
Oporto sword -> sword; Grahamville archer -> archer; Sagras worker -> spear

T6: 170AD Near Coimbra: sword kills horse (4/4); sword kills archer (3/4)
Near New Ferro: elite sword kills immortal flawlessly
Near Alcacer: redline a GS with cats

IBT: Guimarraes barracks -> sword; Evora cat -> settler

T7: 190AD Redline a GS near Alcacer; troops move out to raze Chinese town N of Luanda

Elite spear in stack moving out of Luanda defends against immortal (2/5)
Lisbon: Library -> sword

T8: 210AD N of Lisbon: Cats go 2 for 7 on immortals in jungle; Elite sword kills Chinese archer; elite archer redlines but dies attacking 2/4 immortal; elite sword kills 2/4 immortal (4/5)
Redline a GS N of Alcacer and kill it with elite archer.

IBT: Chinese drop of an Archer near Lisbon (on cow); 2/4 Immortal dies attacking our stack; New Ferro worker -> spear

T9: 230AD Kill Chinese archer near Lisbon with sword.

IBT: Celtic MDI shows up; Oporto sword -> sword; Guimaraes sword -> sword

T10: 250AD At Tsingtoa (N of Lisbon) redline 2 spear defenders; 4/5 sword kills spear; 4/5 sword kills spear; Raze the city, netting 2 workers, forgetting that we can’t keep them.
Redline a Chinese horse near there and kill it, promoting a sword to elite.
Near Alcacer: Redline MDI and kill it with elite archer. Damnit, no a vet archer was used. :mad:

Coimbra has a settler due in 1T; Evora has 2 workers on a forest to chop the settler there. I’ve held back a couple of swords so we don’t have a repeat of the Braga fiasco that began my turns. I highly recommend we keep at least 2, maybe 3 back there to play zone around Lisbon, Oporto, Braga, and Coimbra.
Also, another town should go on infrastructure, perhaps Guimaraes or Lisbon could use a market or Library.
The foreign workers were heading back to Luanda to be disbanded for the next build there. If we can't do that, then just disband them next turn where they stand.
edit: re-read the rules, just disband them

Well played G-man. Good progress. We are due for a leader soon.

Well, the purple on the map looks a little bigger than when I left. :)

Is Bugsy up?

I'll read the turn logs later tonight or Saturday.

I have a question for the AW experts here regarding the settlement of Luanda as I don't understand why we chose that location. I see that it's 3 tiles from Grahamville and New Ferro, but they will require either a river crossing or a road thru a mountain. it also borders 2 mountains, which will give approaching troops 2x thier defensive rating.

You make a good observation. I don't much care for the location of Luanda either. It's the black dot on the map liked below and it was my least favorite. You can get away with that in AWM. Move up a level and try that in the early part of the game & you will pay. I think blue, then red on the map here. would work better. Not much defensive bonus for the AI, and we get a river city on the red dot. The Bluedot is reachable in 2 from our new iron city.

You're right. :rolleyes: I forgot I follow G-man. I have it. I'll try and have it up by tomorrow for you Handy.

Pre-flight – 250 AD – I think this one is almost in the bag. The Celts have six cities left. The Chinese have seven cities and the Persians have eight. We have 14 cities. So a 2:3 ratio. We’re strong compared to all three.

Change Evora to a barracks from a settler. At size three we can make better use of its production.

IBT – The Celts run away. The Chinese will give us three cities for Peace. Sorry, we want all of them, including your capitol.
Lisboa: sword=>settler
G-manville: sword=>sword
Coimbra: settler=>sword

1. 260 AD – Kills: Chinese archer, Celt MDI
Lost: sword
Change Alcácer do Sal to walls. (2-1)

IBT – Luanda: walls=>barracks

2. 270 AD – Maneuvering.

IBT – Lose a sword. The Persians send a slave pair our way.
Guimaraes: sword=>sword
Sagres: spear=>spear

3. 280 AD - @ Tatung – Bombard the defending spear and kill it.
Other kills: Persian spear (collect two slaves), Chinese horse, Celt spear (collect two slaves), Immortal
Lost: two swords (7-4)

IBT – Lose a sword
Feudalism=>engineering
Lisboa: settler=>settler

4. 290 AD – Kills: GS, Chinese spear, (9-5)

IBT – The Celts send us another slave pair.
Oporto: MDI=>MDI

5. 300 AD – Kills: Celt Spear (two slaves) (10-5)

IBT – Several Chinese archers sally forth.
Sao Paulo: cat=>cat
Celts build HG.
6. 310 AD – Found Guarda.
Kills: two Chinese archers. (12-5)

IBT – Kill an immortal.
Guimaraes, G-Manville: MDI=MDI

7. 320 AD – Nada (13-5)

IBT – Kill a Celt MDI, lose a sword.
Coimbra: cat=>cat

8. 330 AD – Found Castelo Branco.
Kills: Three Chinese archers (17-6)

IBT – A Persian spear is dropped off in the backyard.
Ferro: pike=>pike

9. 340 AD – Kills: Persian spear (18-6)

IBT – Kill an Immortal and a GS.
Oporto: MDI=>MDI

10. 350 AD – Nada. (20-6)

After Action – I keep trying to extend the front. We’ll have dyes on line shortly, so that will help the cash flow. Here’s the western front:

Green dot has a settler at it and can build next turn. I would try to put something down around yellow dot after razing Nanking. I haven’t gone too far into Chinese territory, although we could probably march on Beijing very soon.

Here’s the Northern front:

I am building roads two cities at red and blue dot would help consolidate this front nicely. The two arrows show the standard attack route. The MDI get caught in the jungle, where you can bombard them. If there is more then one, you can kill them.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/HNDY9,_350_AD.SAV

Top Bottom