MapFinder

HoF Map Finder/Generator Utility 2016-10-05

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Well, I don't think mapstats should be used either.

1. The old traditional way without Mapstat:
Without mapstats, you need to play until around 500 BC or whenever you have gained access to the complete worldmap. Now you can manually count the total of land tiles to determine the domination limit and potential score. If it's too small or lack of potential score, reject it ans start over. In other to find a good map, this manual procedure would take about 6 hours per map.

2. The Aeson's approved way with Mapstat:
Since Aeson approved the use of Mapstat at 4000BC for picking map, you can start a new game, check maptat, then acept or reject. This process would take about 3 mins per game and it's really boring if you have to do it 1000 times.

3. Using this utility:
This utility would do exactly the same as #2, except that the computer is doing it for us while we are sleeping.

Since this is really the modern age, the traditional way as in #1 and #2 seem really boring. If everyone has to do that, chances are only a few lucky people who have no real life can get in the HoF.;) Since we are just cutting the boring map picking step as in #3, we should be seeing more people trying for the HoF which also means less chance for Moonsinger to be at the top slot.:cry: Basically, I just shot myself in the foot.:cry:;)

Well, I don't play the HoF. I don't like to compete with the score system in Civ3 (that's why I started the tournament ;)). And I hate milking, so...

Anyhow, I tried this app out. And it didn't save any map at all in the folder I specified. And if you are not in civ3 while using the app, it can do some crazy stuff :p

Will the code (dsw/dsp/c/cpp/???) be released to us??
I really love 2 have it!

Anyhow, I tried this app out. And it didn't save any map at all in the folder I specified. And if you are not in civ3 while using the app, it can do some crazy stuff :p

What is the speed of your processor? I'm just wondering if the Time Delay values need to be increase a little bit, especially at the SaveGame screen. Also, what map type and the range of the domination limit that you are looking for? Basically, if you set the domination limit range from 0 to 6000, you should get every savegame under the sun (I mean for testing purpose...I do not recommend this for real).

Yes, you must be in Civ3! In the next version, I will check for the instant of Civ3/PTW/C3C before telling to do anything. And you also must already start a New Game procedure in Civ3......then launch this baby at the 4000BC screen.

Originally posted by Moonsinger
You must also set the "Output/Save Directory" to an empty directory (for savegame). Since this is an Alpha version, you need to create that directory by using Windows Explorer (for now) then click "Ok".

I'm computer illiterate, how do I accomplish this?

Originally posted by Svar
I'm computer illiterate, how do I accomplish this?

You no longer need to do this! Just down load version 1 and it will automatically create a directory if that doesn't exist. Of course, it will ask you for permission to create a directory before actually doing so.

Originally posted by boogaboo
Will the code (dsw/dsp/c/cpp/???) be released to us??
I really love 2 have it!

Sure, do you have resource/gold/tech/luxury to trade?;) If not, then you may have to charm me first somehow.;) I'm sure I would have no problem in releasing my codes to Aeson, SirPleb, or Dianthus, .... because I'm already under their spells.;) In any case, if you have a programming problem that you need help, you can just post it at the Computer Talk Forum and we will see what we can do (free of charge, of course).

What is the speed of your processor? I'm just wondering if the Time Delay values need to be increase a little bit, especially at the SaveGame screen.
I got a 1.6 Ghz.

Originally posted by Moonsinger Also, what map type and the range of the domination limit that you are looking for? Basically, if you set the domination limit range from 0 to 6000, you should get every savegame under the sun (I mean for testing purpose...I do not recommend this for real).[/B]
I just the default value.

And, OH! I just standard map :rolleyes: --- probably because it's to small for that domination range... ok, well that's that.

You no longer need to do this! Just down load version 1 and it will automatically create a directory if that doesn't exist. Of course, it will ask you for permission to create a directory before actually doing so.

Thanks, I downloaded version 1 at noon but haven't tried it yet. FYI, I ran a test to see how fast I was creating new worlds and I could create 10 in 2 minutes if I didn't find any to save. Using my old method I have 6 saved worlds with 1 or 2 cows in the starting 9 tiles, 5 of them on rivers but the domination limits for these worlds range from 3650 to 3925. Unfortunately the 3925 one is the world without any river. I'm using the Mayans so being on a river gives me 3 food in the starting location. I also discovered that I need to relearn the C3C resources as I found a new world that had 3 oases in the starting 9 tiles so played it for 50 turns to see if I could generate a 4 turn settler factory. It worked as you could either irrigate or mine them to give the required plus 5 food surplus or the equivilant of mined bonus grassland.

I got a 1.6 Ghz.

I just the default value.

Yes, the default value should work for the 1.6 Ghz. :)

And, OH! I just standard map :rolleyes: --- probably because it's to small for that domination range... ok, well that's that.

Yes, the default domination limit of 4500 is for a huge map. For a standard map, it's probably going to be about half that, I think.

Sure, do you have resource/gold/tech/luxury to trade?;) If not, then you may have to charm me first somehow.;)

Hmmm... my resources are my RAm machine and brain, I don't have gold but ok with money, tech is ok, since most people are dum, and luxury? I already smoke, thnx!
Also, I am not the "Dark Ranger" from Warcraft3, so I can't charm u.

U a man or women?
Nvm, I can't charm either one.

I am a programmer though - very good in C, less in C++.
Less in GUI, more in data structures and algorithms..
I know math..

Gimme the code!
Give it 2 me baby, aha aha!
[pimp]

Chaim.

Just wanted to report that this utility works as advertised and is a great addition to the tools we need to play HOF games. I probably wont be turning off my computer any time soon. When I'm not actively playing C3C I will be searvhing for good worlds to play. Thanks a bunch, Moonsinger!

Please remember to thank Dianthus too. Without Dianthus and his extensive works on reading/analyzing the save game file, this utility wouldn't be possible.:) As far as I know, he is one of the best C++ coder around here. Let's drink to that!:beer:

The credits would also go to Gramphos, sirp, Hot-bandito, and Aeson for their research on the .SAV file format and its compression format. Without their contribution, this project wouldn't be possible.

Last but not least, thanks to everyone who have tested it.:)

Moonsinger
1. I run this program, but it didn't work - after saving file as "tmp.sav", it is trying to save it next time as "tmp.sav" and question "Rewrite it?" appeared, destructing all system of generation.
2. Why don't use "Quick start" option??? It is faster!
3. Why 3 minutes per attempt? It takes only 10-20 seconds for me.

Originally posted by IgrOK
1. I run this program, but it didn't work - after saving file as "tmp.sav", it is trying to save it next time as "tmp.sav" and question "Rewrite it?" appeared, destructing all system of generation.

Remember to give it a blank directory to work with and you won't have that problem! Btw, what OS are you using? Anyway, that's an easy fix and I will fix it in the next version. In the mean time, just make sure that you give it a blank directory to start out with.

2. Why don't use "Quick start" option??? It is faster!
3. Why 3 minutes per attempt? It takes only 10-20 seconds for me.

You may have a good point there! Now, I remember something about the "Quick Start" option to quickly start a new game based on your previous setting. In this case, I will reprogram this utility to take that path. Thanks!:)

I managed to test my speed in manually generating new games and found I could look at 10 new games in 2 minutes if I didn't find any to save. Of course saving any game took a minute or two. The real advantage of this utility is it does all the work when I'm not at my computer, then every time I return it is just like Christmas as I open all my saved worlds to see if I really want to play one. I have about 10 that I will start and play to 1000 BC to see if I want to finish them.

I'm finishing a large world with a domination limit of 2677 just for the practice. It turns out that there is only 1 game at the Monarch level for a large world so my game should get added to the HOF.

Of course saving any game took a minute or two.
Why? I don't understand... It takes not so long for me.

Remember to give it a blank directory to work with and you won't have that problem! Btw, what OS are you using? Anyway, that's an easy fix and I will fix it in the next version. In the mean time, just make sure that you give it a blank directory to start out with.
It didn't help. Now, after first saving of "tmp.sav" it stops normal generation in message "Exit? Yes / No". It can't choose "Yes".

My computer parameters:
- Pentium 3 567Mhz.
- 128Mb SDRAM.
- ATI Rage 16 Mb videocard.
- Win95 (for now, usualy WinXP)

IgrOK,

So far, you are the first to run it with Win95. Me thinks the Windows API "DeleteFile" function doesn't work the same as in Win2K or WinXP. Btw, what is the full path name of your Output Directory?

Would you do one more quick test: set your Output Directory to something short and easy like "C:\temp\testme" to see if it work. I think it probably doesn't like long file name which Win95 had a funny way of handling it.

Originally posted by IgrOK
Why? I don't understand... It takes not so long for me.

Saving and Loading has always been taking a lot of time and it's a lot slower in C3C. I'm talking about the manual process (not talking about this utility). Most of the time, it does take a few minutes for % loading bar to go away (defending on your map size, of course). The bigger the map, the more time it will take.

It didn't help. Now, after first saving of "tmp.sav" it stops normal generation in message "Exit? Yes / No". It can't choose "Yes".

May be your timing is too fast. What do you set it to? Try 2000, 12000, 2000, 12000 to see if it work. Since you have only 128 Mb of RAM, Win95 may need more time.

Top Bottom