HOF Questions and Answers Thread

The ftp server has been rebooted, so you should be able to submit now. Anyone care to test it? :)

Field of View Mod
This mod changes how much of the map is visible on your screen. Best use is probably if you have a monitor with high resolution...like with 1920×1200 resolution you can adjust it so you see twice as much of the map on screen as a 1024x768 monitor, while keeping the same detail on the units and tiles...
Or can zoom out all the way to take empire wide screenshots or zoom all the way in for detailed city or unit screenshots (like make one tile fill entire screen)(Description credited to Gyathaar)

Say, I've got a single player, vanilla game that was started without using the HoF mod. Would it be possible to hook up my HD-ready television to my computer (I've got the equipment to do this, but don't know how it'll work out exactly), load the HoF mod (or only the part with the Field of View mod in it) in my custom assets, change the parameter and my screens resolution to see the (standard sized) map totally while not being zoomed out too much, make a screenshot, save it and upload it on this site?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I think the fact that Locked Modified Assets is checked would make this impossible, wouldn't it?

Say, I've got a single player, vanilla game that was started without using the HoF mod. Would it be possible to hook up my HD-ready television to my computer (I've got the equipment to do this, but don't know how it'll work out exactly), load the HoF mod (or only the part with the Field of View mod in it) in my custom assets, change the parameter and my screens resolution to see the (standard sized) map totally while not being zoomed out too much, make a screenshot, save it and upload it on this site?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I think the fact that Locked Modified Assets is checked would make this impossible, wouldn't it?
Yeah, you have to start a game with the HOF Mod in order to use the mod. Also, the Field of View mod is a SDK-Python hybrid. There is no way to take just a part of it without begging Gathyaar for the C++ code snippet.

All the HOF Mod does is provide a function to dynamically modify the field of view value in memory and save your setting in the HOF's ini file to set it whenever you start or reload a game.

If you wanted to duplicate the effect you could copy the correct XML file to custom assets and modify the field of view value. You would have to exit/restart to tweak the value until it is what you want, but it would work.

Although, the LMA would probably prevent you from using the different custom assets for your current save.

Question: In the Rules/FAQ section of the CivIV HOF, the "Map Settings" section states that:

Each map may only be played through once. Each map must be submitted from the turn after your first victory condition. The following are the legal maptypes:...

What exactly does this mean, and where does it apply? Does it mean each individual map can only be played once? You obviously couldn't get the League of Nations award only playing each map type once.

What exactly does this mean, and where does it apply? Does it mean each individual map can only be played once? You obviously couldn't get the League of Nations award only playing each map type once.

Not each map type, but each individual map. In other words, when you create a game you can't play that game out and than later reload the 4000 BC save and play it again. You must submit your first attempt at that specific map.

Any chance that the Gauntlet results table could include the name of the Leader used? It is always interesting to know who managed to get good results WITHOUT using Huayna Capac.

Any chance that the Gauntlet results table could include the name of the Leader used? It is always interesting to know who managed to get good results WITHOUT using Huayna Capac.
Just click on the game info link. The Civilization played and all AI civs are on the first tab...

Just click on the game info link. The Civilization played and all AI civs are on the first tab...

Well that means a lot of clicking if you want to check them all. As gauntlet table have only name/score/date shown now theres plenty of room for some extra info on the primary table.

I'm new to HOF and I was just wondering what the latest mod i can download is and when it's too late to submit it

You can get the mod from the HOF site (links at top of page). You only have a time limit for Gauntlets btw, and it expires when the notice is posted in the Gauntlet thread.

Updates are once a month I think (see dates of HOF update threads). The gauntlet dates are always in the first post of a gauntlet but they overrun a bit sometimes.

Good answering ParadigmShifter!

We actually try to update the Civ4 HOF twice a month. We have dates we aim for, but I'm not sure we should tell you what they are in case you expect us to stick to them :mischief:.

When hovering over the picture of Napoleon in the opponents section (say, for this game), it says Napolean (bolding mine).

I know it's a very minor issue, but if you're going to do something about the site anyway, you might want to correct this too :D

In the HOF, there are blanks in a few of the squares - for example, in Diety there are blanks in the Time victories on Large and Huge maps. Does this mean that anyone actually winning a Time victory (assuming they're running the HOF mod and so on) on a Large Diety map will get into the HOF?

In the HOF, there are blanks in a few of the squares - for example, in Diety there are blanks in the Time victories on Large and Huge maps. Does this mean that anyone actually winning a Time victory (assuming they're running the HOF mod and so on) on a Large Diety map will get into the HOF?

Yes (XCL)

As was already stated, yes. Unfortunately there are still blanks in the tables, though many players are aiming for them to earn the 100 BaseQScore. Hopefully soon we can fill those spots up, so that QScore will average itself out.

Top Bottom