HOF Questions and Answers Thread

We would prefer that you provide the start file before performing any actions. People want to see the start the way it was. I guess you could classify providing a starting save after moving and settling as being slightly rude. Occasional rudeness can be forgiven. Habitual rudeness tends to have conseqenses. ;)

We provide a Create Start Save feature, as mentioned, and Civ4 creates an inital autosave. Those don't help with with manual regenerate but how much effort is it to hit Ctrl-S before moving? All you have to do is remember to rename it if the game is a keeper. Is that really too much to ask?

Actually, the create start save works on using the alt-g combination to regenerate manually. That's what I use.

@pegasus28:
you probably missed some files - look in the spoiler for a list of stuff that needs to go

Wow you guys really know what you are doing! :worship:

Thanks ori :goodjob: your recommendation did the trick, I can now load mod 3.17.

You are right, I missed the installshield folders, to my untrained eye could not see that it was linked to the game. After deleting that, I was able to uninstall using the setup app on the BTS disk and reinstall the game.

Also using the 3.17 mod that I had downloaded at the begining of the year proved problematic. But a new download overcame that.

Just in case all this messing around caused any errors, I will complete a quick game and submit it as a test...although I would like another crack at G-minor 71 before it ends..going to space with the boreal map is a real challenge.

Just in case all this messing around caused any errors, I will complete a quick game and submit it as a test...

Good idea ... play a duel-sized Pangaea or Terra map, on Settler-difficulty, with 1 opponent. Will take you 2 minutes to raze his capital and win by conquest. ;)

you can also just start any game and use the check start file on the HOF home page

you can also just start any game and use the check start file on the HOF home page

Ahem, that only verifies your starting settings ... doesn't mean the game will be accepted.

HOF - Start File said:
This page allows checking of a start save file to ensure that the selected settings are valid for HOF entry.

Congratulations! That file passed the HOF settings checks. Please be advised that this does not guarantee game acceptance, only that you have the proper start settings.

Ahem, that only verifies your starting settings ... doesn't mean the game will be accepted.

Obviously, but it checks to make sure that all the starting settings are correct and therefore means the install is good. If you choose to do something outside the rules or improper, then of course the game may still be rejected.
His question was how to verify if the install was correct not how to be sure a game is accepted.

Good idea ... play a duel-sized Pangaea or Terra map, on Settler-difficulty, with 1 opponent. Will take you 2 minutes to raze his capital and win by conquest. ;)

Thanks for your suggestion ChrisFromLux.

I submitted a duel-sized pangea map set on high sea level (to increase the odds of a closer encounter) using Hammurabi (aggresive trait and a warrior rather than scout start) did the trick and finished in turn 15. I also saw that the game was accepted...:)

Currently in the middle of G-minor 71 but I swear that the AI players are getting smarter...did the HOF administrators add some extra intel in the latest mod download ... or it could just be that I havent got the hang of using Lincoln for this map type yet....:lol:

The link to the GMinor69 discussion page on the gauntlet list pane of the HoF is broken by the way.

I edited the HOF-3.17.001.ini to enable the autolog in silent mode, I understand how everything in the .ini works, but when I load BTS I check the options and they're disabled. I select them, hit 'Exit' and get

I've checked the dir properties for the whole MODS dir and unchecked the Read-Only, of course applied subdirs, but it still does it. Other mods, BUG, RevDCM, ect.. all work fine. Any ideas?

I edited the HOF-3.17.001.ini to enable the autolog in silent mode, I understand how everything in the .ini works, but when I load BTS I check the options and they're disabled. I select them, hit 'Exit' and get

I've checked the dir properties for the whole MODS dir and unchecked the Read-Only, of course applied subdirs, but it still does it. Other mods, BUG, RevDCM, ect.. all work fine. Any ideas?
Try unchecking the read-only at the Firaxis Game folder with subfolders. That's where I do it. I assume that you are on Vista? You might want to check the Vista fixes in case there is something you missed.

Oh, another thought. You didn't by any chance have the ini file still open, did you? Some kind of lock could prevent it updating. What editor did you use?

Try unchecking the read-only at the Firaxis Game folder with subfolders. That's where I do it. I assume that you are on Vista? You might want to check the Vista fixes in case there is something you missed.

Oh, another thought. You didn't by any chance have the ini file still open, did you? Some kind of lock could prevent it updating. What editor did you use?

I'm on XP, no open notepad++, tried the root game folder properties and still no go.

I'm on XP, no open notepad++, tried the root game folder properties and still no go.
All you need for XP is to paly using an Admin account. None of the other stuff should matter. Where did the HOF Mod install. It should have put it in the install mod folder.

All you need for XP is to paly using an Admin account. None of the other stuff should matter. Where did the HOF Mod install. It should have put it in the install mod folder.

it's in the mods folder where it supposed to be, i uninstalled it then reinstalled it and it's working now. don't know what happened

Are there any issues with using the HOF mod with Civilization Complete. I tried it out last night on Vanilla and it looked ok, but I want to make sure that the games will still be valid for HOF and GOTM play. It is very nice not to have to insert the disks.
Is that the new one with all three versions in one? You are the first, I've heard from. If you were able to start a game with the HOF Mod and you didn't see a popup message or any of the HOF Warning messages when it starts then you are probably okay.

Did you have any problems getting it to install in the correct folder?

Submitting a Game with a really good Date/Score before the first update of a Major Gauntlet could also demoralize your Competitors.

That's usually what happens to me! :lol:

Anyway, I have a few questions. After a long vacation-induced hiatus from posting on here, I wish to continue a strategy article however, I need to have a few things answered which have long escaped my memory or understanding. I wish to write an article useful to all, but given that I usually play the HOF mod, I may not have accurate information. I figured that I would post here since I normally only post in this forum and there are lots of knowledge people here. Here are my questions related to the 3.17 patch.

1. It seems that there were several patches. It is my understanding that Solver's 3.17 fixed many problems with the official Firaxis patch, but one needed to install the official one first. Is this correct?

2. It also seems to me that the 3.17 HOF mod uses Solver's unofficial patch, so does that mean that the HOF mod has the elements from the official patch as well?

3. What ever happened with the debate about Barrage promotions being disallowed for Armoured Units? What that ever resolved and if so, is there a difference between loading up my patched BtS and the HOF mod? What is the status on armoured unit and barrage for those two scenarios

4. Furthermore, if I have the 3.17 BtS HOF mod installed, does that mean I am currently patched up-to-date? I figure yes, but want to be sure.....more specifically, I want to know if installing the official patch and then the unofficial patch was necessary to install the latest HOF mod. Sorry, but it's been a year and I can't really answer that question for myself by looking around in my Firaxis folders.

5. That's all for now, but can I ask more questions should the need arise? :lol:

That's usually what happens to me! :lol:

Anyway, I have a few questions. After a long vacation-induced hiatus from posting on here, I wish to continue a strategy article however, I need to have a few things answered which have long escaped my memory or understanding. I wish to write an article useful to all, but given that I usually play the HOF mod, I may not have accurate information. I figured that I would post here since I normally only post in this forum and there are lots of knowledge people here. Here are my questions related to the 3.17 patch.

1. It seems that there were several patches. It is my understanding that Solver's 3.17 fixed many problems with the official Firaxis patch, but one needed to install the official one first. Is this correct?

2. It also seems to me that the 3.17 HOF mod uses Solver's unofficial patch, so does that mean that the HOF mod has the elements from the official patch as well?

3. What ever happened with the debate about Barrage promotions being disallowed for Armoured Units? What that ever resolved and if so, is there a difference between loading up my patched BtS and the HOF mod? What is the status on armoured unit and barrage for those two scenarios

4. Furthermore, if I have the 3.17 BtS HOF mod installed, does that mean I am currently patched up-to-date? I figure yes, but want to be sure.....more specifically, I want to know if installing the official patch and then the unofficial patch was necessary to install the latest HOF mod. Sorry, but it's been a year and I can't really answer that question for myself by looking around in my Firaxis folders.

5. That's all for now, but can I ask more questions should the need arise? :lol:
Welcome back. You only need to install the offical 3.17 patch and the HOF Mod (3.17.001).

Solver's offfical patch has fixes to 3.17. Most of those are included in the HOF Mod. It isn't nessesary and would mess up your assets.

Barrage is removed from armor in HOF Mod. I don't remember all the details but that was something from the unofficial patch.

Top Bottom