HOF Questions and Answers Thread

The Hall of Fame's account password had expired, this has now been fixed. Looks like I will need to go back and sort some submissions that happened while we were down, will get that done before the update on Tuesday.

Just wondering if there are any issues using Win11 with either Buffy/HoF mod or Map Finder.

Question regarding game loading. I just discovered I have two instances of the same game running simultaneously. Looks like I loaded from an exit save, got interrupted and minimized the game, came back and reloaded the same exit save. One instance is an end of turn point which may well be the same point of reloading. I didn't know this was possible. And it's also unclear whether I got interrupted a 2nd time and switched instances upon returning. The game is at a point of long term planning so it's unlikely any units got moved. But micro may have changed. Anyhow each instance is now at a point of 2 different turns so I am playing the latest one. What to do?

Decided to let the game go. It might have been a record beater but not by any margin I'm aiming for.

Hey, so I'm using BUFFY and I'm having problems with HOF mod. I did some searching on this thread, and it seems it's a registry problem with GOG. A couple of people we're having problems with that, and someone gave them registry fixes, but I can't seem to be able to find the files on this thread!
Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to make said registry patch?
Thanks in advance!

Hey, so I'm using BUFFY and I'm having problems with HOF mod. I did some searching on this thread, and it seems it's a registry problem with GOG. A couple of people we're having problems with that, and someone gave them registry fixes, but I can't seem to be able to find the files on this thread!
Thanks in advance!
If you PM me your full installation path I'll send you the file.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I'm having trouble with registering on HOF - I've accidentally entered wrong email, so I can't complete the registration. Is there any way to reset email?

I just submitted a HOF game ... first submission in I don't know how long ... got to be over 10 years. I noticed G-Major 187 with a espionage victory condition. A what? I don't recall this type of victory condition ... can someone fill me in?

Update: google let me to https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/new-espionage-victory-condition.503363/ which discusses it ... but doesn't really go into details. I might run a small trial game to see if I understand the mechanics(?).

Welcome back @ruff_hi!

You might find this thread a good read.

The basic idea is to found a city, seed it with some culture, gift it to an AI then run lots of "spread culture" missions until it becomes legendary then either capture it or have it flip back to you.

The new Mod categorises any Culture Victory where a "Spread Culture" mission has been executed as Espionage. (Spread culture missions are unlikely to ever be undertaken in a traditional Cultural victory). Please note BTS itself will still flag the game as a Culture win but the submission system will pick it up as Espionage.

Last edited:
Thx Noble

I am looking for some information about what resources are on and not on which maps. For example ... Great Plains doesn't seem to have Ivory. Does such a list exist?

Edit: The code for Great Plains contains this ...

resourcesToEliminate = ('BONUS_RICE', 'BONUS_WHALE', 'BONUS_SILK',
'BONUS_BANANA', 'BONUS_IVORY')

Last edited:
Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
While trying to load a game intended for a HoF submission (saved a couple of hours ago), I keep getting the following message:
-----------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
-----------------------
Runtime Error!

Program: ...lization 4 Complete\Beyond the
Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
------------------------

Any suggestions?
EDIT: the error seems to affect only a specific saved game file. I can start new ones and load the new saves without problems :dunno:

Attachments

• 20230830_144523.jpg
    20230830_144523.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
@63 I had the solution bookmarked but the page is no longer working. I can't remember if going into properties and setting things to run as administrater is the solution to this or a related HoF problem.

Is it possible for someone to check whether the password reset functionality is not working as expected? I've been trying to reset my credentials (for a Civ3 game, from https://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/user_login.php) over the last day or two, but haven't received the e-mail. Checked spam, it isn't there, and checked both my main and prior e-mail accounts. Same username as here. There's an outside chance my e-mail is still my no-longer-intact AIM one, which would also explain the issue.

Update: I've since remembered the password I used when registering, and yeah, my e-mail was set to a defunct one. Changing it to a current one now, and the system was working okay!

Last edited:
Top Bottom