HOF Questions and Answers Thread

Example: early Gunpowder means you're the only one that can roll 'Guns/Butter' event.

And early IW means you are likely to roll Elite Swords quest? BTW, it is said here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/random-events-list.236727/#post-5789100 that it requires state religion, but I had no state religion. I did have Buddhism in Rome, though. Apparently this information is not entirely accurate, probably not up to date.

Edit: That game is very promising, probably good enough to beat 460AD Culture record. There is a problem with AI's research rate: it's pathetic, even Mansa is useless. On the other hand, I can reserve the Oracle for Biology, something I had difficulties with even on Tiny (and this is Small!). Or should I use it on Currency:hmm:
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0157.JPG

Last edited:
When next Challenge starts? I would not mind a break from this praetorian marathon insanity before I play a space game, assuming that my current attempt at culture will be successful and I won't need another one. There was nothing either about XXII finishing or plans for XXIII in recent updates.

Edit: This is a bit off topic but I did it! Sushi on t313 (370 BC), which is 10 turns faster than in 695 AD Space Colony game by Seraiel! Not sure how much I can actually get from it, though. It's 141:culture: per turn now and will probably be about 180 once I'm done collecting resources; not bad with 5 religions - 6 if can do Christian stuff quickly.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0359.JPG

Last edited:
Is the HoF site down? It has loaded half-way, but then nothing more really happens. Page processing forever.

I'm trying to download and mess around with map-finder but no matter where I install it, I get an error saying "Cannot find civ4 path".
I have buffy 3.19.005 installed
It's been many years since I've used MF myself, so I'm not a big help. @Noble Zarkon can probably help you. If I recall you need to sync up the folders in the options. Check the BUG options (Map tab) in game and make sure everything is pointed to right place. I can't remember if there are MF options as well, but you should check for that too.

Is there any way to see in the HOF stats about whether random events / villages are on, for a particular game? I've tested out some fun strats with particular options, but I'd rather not feel hamstrung by avoiding this extra randomness. It seems that regardless of how viable an option is, true peak performance will always require some techs / settlers from huts.

It would be nice if that was something that appeared in the stats, IMO.

Is there any way to see in the HOF stats about whether random events / villages are on, for a particular game?
It would be nice if that was something that appeared in the stats, IMO.

No. You can download the files for a particular game though and check the settings.

Is there any way to see in the HOF stats about whether random events / villages are on, for a particular game?
Not sure what you mean with HoF 'stats' here, but if you are looking for a particular game, you can probably find those settings by using the filters in Ad-hoc Query. You need to be logged in for those things to show up (don't know why).

Here is an example:
adhoc query.png

The 'codes' in the rightmost column are kinda obvious, but:
NE: No events
NH: No huts
BB: Barbs are ON
RG: Raging barbs ON
OCC: One-city challenge
etc

Not sure what you mean with HoF 'stats' here, but if you are looking for a particular game, you can probably find those settings by using the filters in Ad-hoc Query. You need to be logged in for those things to show up (don't know why).

Here is an example:
View attachment 616691

The 'codes' in the rightmost column are kinda obvious, but:
NE: No events
NH: No huts
BB: Barbs are ON
RG: Raging barbs ON
OCC: One-city challenge
etc

Oh great, just what I was looking for. I guess not sortable by 'options' but this is easier than loading each game individually, which is all I had found on my own.

Thanks!

Good find, Pangaea....I wasn't even aware of that the game options could be displayed there.

It's a great function :) I have used it a lot over the years. Mostly to try to find a slot I can try to play, because even if I can't get #1, it's nice to get high in the list, which is much easier to see with a filter function like that. Can also play around a lot with the filters. Selecting several map sizes for example.

What's up with HoF site? I had a very odd error mesage when I submitted a game, which is currently displayed as won in 0 BC... And start file checker does not recognize any saves, even ones that have been accepted earlier.
Something appears up with the site indeed. Could be @Noble Zarkon is performing maintenance or something, but we'll have to wait for him.

What's up with HoF site? I had a very odd error mesage when I submitted a game, which is currently displayed as won in 0 BC... And start file checker does not recognize any saves, even ones that have been accepted earlier.
I also got the same issue when submitting a game today. Not sure if I’ll need to submit it again.

Top Bottom